Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

It sounds like Bethesda saw people sharing pretty pictures of their games on twitter and reddit for lots of engagement and thought "players love doing in-game photography". When really it's just that people idly browsing reddit or twitter like clicking pretty screenshots other people took. It's not something they actually do when they play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Seems like another bugfix update with a handful of low hanging fruit. Which is nice to have but everyone here wants either content updates or the CK if not both.

OddObserver posted:

Photo mode is great... for good games with interesting scenery.

There's a surprising number of players who actually enjoy going around taking photos. They might even be the majority of players still actively playing at this point alongside ship builders.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I enjoy taking photos and screenshots in games. Cool sunrises, intense moments in cutscenes, that kind of thing.

The only screenshots I have in Starfield are weird bugs and dumb moments of dialogue.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well I beat it. Kind of wanted to do more, but it crashes every 20 minutes on my XBox and I'm just tired of constantly quicksaving so I don't lose progress. Also still pissed that the last UC Vanguard mission doesn't show up for me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I actually enjoyed taking photos in Starfield, occasionally you’d come across a cool poi or backdrop and think it was worth photographing.

That’s also how I found out that
a) the photo gallery is hard-limited to 50 photos, and
b) it doesn’t save to your Xbox photo library

So when you uninstall, all 50 of your photos get deleted like jpgs in the rain

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A thing I like about Starfield is that your photos get used in loading screens, but if that feature is limited to 50 photos gently caress that.

At least I've got the F12 steam screenshot feature.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The reason the environmental debuffs seemed to become less of an issue later on is because they always self heal over time once you're in a safe environment, and once you stop being fooled by the check engine light (oh no, I've breathed methane gas, I'll...sprint slower??), then they become the non issue they always were.

Break a limb in fallout 3 and 4 and you're gonna be looking to get that fixed.

Edit - photos as loading screen IS cool and got me take stage a few, when I normally don't care about that feature.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 2, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

The reason the environmental debuffs seemed to become less of an issue later on is because they always self heal over time once you're in a safe environment, and once you stop being fooled by the check engine light (oh no, I've breathed methane gas, I'll...sprint slower??), then they become the non issue they always were.

Yeah it seems like at one stage environmental effects has um more effect, and space travel was harder and required more resources, which much better, as than that gives you more of a reason to make outposts and collect resources. Travel far in one direction, find a planet with good resources than make an outpost, and collect and store resources there, than that opens up all the surrounding solar systems further out. Actually make exploring feel more like exploring.

Still have the issue of all the planets being samey though. The way to fix that would of been to massively cut down the number of worlds and customized the remaining ones much more so they're all actually unique, and all the things you find on them are unique, so not constantly coming across the same random encounters where ever you go. It would of also meant you could of made the map sizes for the worlds a bit bigger so again it felt more like you were exploring them when you landed.

If the exploring had felt more like exploring and the worlds felt more unique I think modders would really like it as well, as making your own small world you could plop in to some place sounds like something a lot of modders would really enjoy. Particular remaking bits of famous sci-fi planets like LV-426 from aliens and what not. As things stand now not sure many modders would make the effort.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Exploring might not have felt so samey if you had to do careful prep work to research the planet and wear a suit with the right resistances for the planet. Maybe have stuff like bullet drop affected by gravity or lasers behaving differently in various atmospheric compositions. Any chance of that got sacrificed on the altar or accessibility so the player can wear one suit and shoot one gun for everything though.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I don't there was ever a chance for that, but yeah, they could've had all sorts of ideas, and then ran out of steam, engine and/or design.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I don’t think they wanted to make a game with that much friction in it and being punishing to the player it goes against everything they have made for a long time.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The pics worth taking are the transitions as you zoom off somewhere but of course the only way to capture that is via screenshot

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

webmeister posted:

I actually enjoyed taking photos in Starfield, occasionally you’d come across a cool poi or backdrop and think it was worth photographing.

That’s also how I found out that
a) the photo gallery is hard-limited to 50 photos, and
b) it doesn’t save to your Xbox photo library

So when you uninstall, all 50 of your photos get deleted like jpgs in the rain

If it's like Fallout 76, it will also delete all photos every major title update.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I have a vague recollection that there was something about modding where you can't take in-game screenshots because if anything is in the folder that the screenshots end up in for loading screens it ignores the folder you put mods in

but yeah I have no screenshots of this game period, elite dangerous and no mans sky are better for both anyways

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was using mods and photo mode loading screens together at day one and that always worked while I played the game (but then I'm always playing Bethesda games on PC) :shrug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

Exploring might not have felt so samey if you had to do careful prep work to research the planet and wear a suit with the right resistances for the planet. Maybe have stuff like bullet drop affected by gravity or lasers behaving differently in various atmospheric compositions. Any chance of that got sacrificed on the altar or accessibility so the player can wear one suit and shoot one gun for everything though.

Having something to actually explore other than the same copy pasted cloned assets randomly spread 1000m apart might have also reduced the samey feeling.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Something I’d love to see in Starfield is being able to land in a spot that doesn’t already have a human presence. That, coupled with better procgen making poo poo like mountains, cliffs, rolling hills, rivers, caves, under ground rivers, etc etc. sprinkle in some flora and fauna and that’s all I’d need.

But no, Starfield has content where none is needed and the content itself is rote and boring.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
please go explore the galaxy
*land spaceship 500 meters from the next military outpost (now occupied by pirates), or civilian outpost*
*and again*
*oh this time it's a research lab that's inexplicably deserted and already being explored by other mercenaries*
*and again*
ah such exploring

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

orcane posted:

please go explore the galaxy
*land spaceship 500 meters from the next military outpost (now occupied by pirates), or civilian outpost*
*and again*
*oh this time it's a research lab that's inexplicably deserted and already being explored by other mercenaries*
*and again*
ah such exploring

Their problem is that "exploration" for them 100% has to involve guns and loot. They want the NASA aesthetic and like the idea of exploring strange new worlds, but don't have the confidence to actually make exploration and surveying key gameplay mechanics.

Want a good space exploration game? Kerbal Space Progrmam. THAT is what space exploration looks like.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
KSP itself actually kinda struggled with "what do you do when landed?" part, with DLCs adding landmarks to explore you can find with sensors from orbit, etc., but it makes getting there interesting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OddObserver posted:

KSP itself actually kinda struggled with "what do you do when landed?" part, with DLCs adding landmarks to explore you can find with sensors from orbit, etc., but it makes getting there interesting.

Oh yeah, I'm talking about as it exist today. Early on it was pretty rough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was hoping for some info about the survival additions by now.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They played around with survival modes in development, but they weren’t fun so they cut them.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Remember when they said they were going to put out a patch every six weeks and then the patches were like Reverted a change that caused the data menu to open when taking screenshots with F12

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Anyone looking for a way to spend 4 and a half hours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urEMD71xdCs

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Robobot posted:

They played around with survival modes in development, but they weren’t fun so they cut them.

In interviews they stated that they would add put out a survival mode, but both Fallout 4 and Skyrims survival mode were put out after the DLC. In Skyrims case quite a lot later. If it comes out i doubt it would take anything like Skytims amount of time or even Fallout 4, it would probably be just a bit after the DLC when they wind down the amount of people they have working on it.

Buy yeah in development according to them they didn't work on a survival mode, they just originally were looking to make the game itself much more survival based, but then pivoted to make it much easier and user friendly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

Looking at what they kept, that’s a terrifying thing to think about.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't even know what you'd do for survival mode. Fast travel is like the only way to move in Starfield so you can't really get rid of that. I don't know how you'd implement sleep with all the jump travel stuff (or is that supposed to be instant?)

It would probably just amount to getting horrible diseases whenever you sleep in your luxury highrise

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Robobot posted:

No I meant the survival stuff they mentioned in their end of year post

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azhais posted:

I don't even know what you'd do for survival mode. Fast travel is like the only way to move in Starfield so you can't really get rid of that. I don't know how you'd implement sleep with all the jump travel stuff (or is that supposed to be instant?)

It would probably just amount to getting horrible diseases whenever you sleep in your luxury highrise

The fast travel stuff is instant as near as I could tell and it kind of sucks for survival mode because you could make having to pack x amount of supplies for y amount of travel time something to think about.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Flowing Thot posted:

Anyone looking for a way to spend 4 and a half hours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urEMD71xdCs

A mere four hours for a Bethesda-bashing video? How weaksauce of the creator.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Azhais posted:

I dunno, I think there’s an interesting game there if it’s entirely designed around survival mode.

Cut the number of systems in half, no fast travel to anything but the nearest system. To travel further out, you need to establish an outpost and harvest resources, which get better and more valuable the further away from settled space you go. They also act as refuelling points for your ship.

Better materials make better weapons, better equipment and food/meds, suits, ship parts and so on. Fewer humans and POIs the further out you go - less spacers and ecliptic, but more aggressive fauna and harsher environments.

I know some of this stuff exists in-game, but it really feels like the survival mode got ripped out at the last minute and nothing replaced it.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I'm going to guess they didn't add survival because they couldn't figure out a way to make it play nice with the hundreds of different planets with their own 24 hour day cycles. There was one planet I slept in my bunk for a few hours without noticing the UTC scale and wound up spending over a week asleep. It was ridiculously funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Punished Ape posted:

I'm going to guess they didn't add survival because they couldn't figure out a way to make it play nice with the hundreds of different planets with their own 24 hour day cycles. There was one planet I slept in my bunk for a few hours without noticing the UTC scale and wound up spending over a week asleep. It was ridiculously funny.

It’s so weird that there’s no local/universal toggle on waiting and sleeping. Also waiting/sleeping takes a weirdly long time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's so weird because the game tracks universal time; just use that exclusively! Oh, is the day/night cycle a month on this planet? Well then you can't "sleep until morning" because the frontier isn't designed for you to casually spend weeks living out of a Winnebago with wings.

I "watched" (turned on while exploring Old Ebonheart in Tamerial Rebuilt and then while exercising this morning) that video; I'd thought it was old until I realized they'd already released the first half months ago.

One thing I noticed most this time around is how the lead quest designer quit to work on an indie fantasy rpg instead of staying on for ES6. Which means either he was tasked with supporting Starfield further and said no or, more damningly, he'd rather go work somewhere else even on the broadly same sort of game, which speaks to deep rooted dissatisfaction with the creative process and/or management structure.

Also, I actually looked up current articles on the best Starfield mods last weekend, which for me personally is the first sign that I'm going to be reinstalling a Bethesda game. I came to my senses pretty quickly but it's kind of remarkable how, occasionally, I'll get this vague desire to, say, explore further some of the cities I haven't spent much time in before I remember the bland combat, the lackluster skill tree, etc etc.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 4, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not being able to change traits on NG+ absolutely killed my desire to play this game again

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

One thing I noticed most this time around is how the lead quest designer quit to work on an indie fantasy rpg instead of staying on for ES6.

Honestly the most impressive thing about this game is how quickly it made me not want to buy ES6 when it comes out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

not being able to change traits on NG+ absolutely killed my desire to play this game again

It’s amazing how much they made NG+ such a central part of the game and then just… barely did anything with NG+. Rare intros that are just like “lol I hope you didn’t want companions” and what, getting to use the underwhelming powers more often? Is there anything else to NG+?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does it really make sense to bolt survival mechanics onto this game? You’re never out in the wilderness for long and the galaxy isn’t exactly lacking the infrastructure to keep you fed.

I dunno, it feels like the player would by Bear Grylls drinking their piss 100 ft away from a Wendy’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think people want them because the game is just so frictionless and unchallenging. Some kind of resource management would make it feel like there’s a reason for some of the systems to even exist.

The real problem is that by removing anything that could get in the player’s way, Bethesda made a game that’s so bland people don’t want to play it.