Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I get OP's vibe. I haaaaated the sylph arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can understand hating the sylphs especially now that they've cut most of the comic relief from it.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Hellioning posted:

Also, you would have to buy a level skip and a story skip separately.

Depending on how much you've outleveled the MSQ, if you're really soured on the ARR story, it might be tempting to buy the story skip that starts you directly in Heavensward and then manually level up to 50 by doing daily roulettes and other side activities.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not actually going to buy a skip, these late 20s quests were just the first time I wondered if I could because boy what a slog

gtrmp posted:

Depending on how much you've outleveled the MSQ, if you're really soured on the ARR story, it might be tempting to buy the story skip that starts you directly in Heavensward and then manually level up to 50 by doing daily roulettes and other side activities.

I don't think I've soured on the ARR story, it doesn't even feel like it's really started yet. I'm too busy doing a dance for three sylphs. C'mon Square, that's sidequest filler, don't make me do that.

Fighting Ifrit with a party of real people was cool though.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

AndrewP posted:

I'm not actually going to buy a skip, these late 20s quests were just the first time I wondered if I could because boy what a slog

I don't think I've soured on the ARR story, it doesn't even feel like it's really started yet. I'm too busy doing a dance for three sylphs. C'mon Square, that's sidequest filler, don't make me do that.

It used to be dancing for like seven people!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Company of Heroes part is when I started thinking about story skips

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FuturePastNow posted:

That is in fact generally considered the Worst Part of the ARR Story among the people I talk to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FuturePastNow posted:

BlazetheInferno posted:

That is in fact generally considered the Worst Part of the ARR Story among the people I talk to.
God, the loving Titan quests are the worst part of the game. On the bright side, once you get through that, there's nowhere to go but up.

...with another dip during the post-ARR, pre-HW filler. At least that filler has good payoff at the end.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

girl dick energy posted:

God, the loving Titan quests are the worst part of the game. On the bright side, once you get through that, there's nowhere to go but up.
There's another section in the 40s that's also quite bad. It leads to a rad cutscene that gets ARR going into the final stretch, at least.

gtrmp posted:

I have one friend that skipped ARR like this; I believe the Titan quests were the breaking point for her. It ended up being the right move for her because she loved HW so she's stuck with the game, and is working on clearing her last ultimate in the coming weeks.

I don't recommend people skip ARR but it can work.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

who even needs to buy a skip? I just watched a cut scene in a duty, and when it was over the boss was already dead and the duty was complete.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

AndrewP posted:

who even needs to buy a skip? I just watched a cut scene in a duty, and when it was over the boss was already dead and the duty was complete.

Bad form on the part of the people you were running with imo. That being said some of the arr dungeons do have silly long cutscenes mid dungeon.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, those mostly vanish eventually. The worst case was the ending of ARR which was a couple of 8-man dungeons filled with cutscenes, people would always skip and leave newbies behind so they couldn't actually play the dungeon. The cutscenes were made unakippable a few years back.

Also they more recently massively reworked those dungeons so now they're shorter and 4-man instead. Way better playing too.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's one unfortunate early dungeon where as well as having an unusually long cutscene before the last boss, the boss also has an unusually hair trigger aggro range so it's very easy for people to pull it by accident even if intending to wait

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
msq cuts are for rotating the laundry or having a smoke or w/e

i'm a huge dweeb and since my other mmo is pvp w/discord all the time, i have a little speaker running out to my porch that i can pipe discord/game audio to so i can go have a dart but hear the "ok break's over we're moving". i use it in 14 for making sure i'm back before the cut ends

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Titan quests didn’t make me as mad as “no THIS corrupted crystal” but idk if that’s cut down now

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To anyone playing on the Steamdeck, I'd recommend you update the OS and turn the GPU Clock option in performance all the way up. It's solved all but the biggest stuttering issues in the game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mister Olympus posted:

Titan quests didn’t make me as mad as “no THIS corrupted crystal” but idk if that’s cut down now

Corrupted Crystal still gives you the runaround but it's not as bad as it originally was. Much like Sylphs still jerks your chain but not as bad as when you had to detect phony Thancred.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Corrupted Crystal still gives you the runaround but it's not as bad as it originally was. Much like Sylphs still jerks your chain but not as bad as when you had to detect phony Thancred.

It only gives you two wrong crystals, which is an improvement, somehow.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Veotax posted:

Yeah, those mostly vanish eventually. The worst case was the ending of ARR which was a couple of 8-man dungeons filled with cutscenes, people would always skip and leave newbies behind so they couldn't actually play the dungeon. The cutscenes were made unakippable a few years back.

I always wondered if there is a way to make it skippable if there is no first-timer in team, but I guess the answer is "spaghetti code" as always.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FuturePastNow posted:

That is, ironically, one of the few things I even remember about the earlier ARR story. Mostly because it was so absurd though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Szarrukin posted:

I always wondered if there is a way to make it skippable if there is no first-timer in team, but I guess the answer is "spaghetti code" as always.

Veteran players would absolutely bail out on the first timer and requeue later if that were the case in Praetoreum.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Szarrukin posted:

The boosted rewards are compensation for the long run time so it would work at cross-purposes.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

YggiDee posted:

Veteran players would absolutely bail out on the first timer and requeue later if that were the case in Praetoreum.

Didn't thought of that, you are absolutely right.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'd be fine with making MSQ roulette cuts skippable but they would absolutely have to halve the rewards for those fast runs or else people would just grind those and break various tome systems. Plus, yeah, sprouts would get turbofucked. It's really fun to run those with a first timer or two! One dps i did a run with had never used LB before (thats my suspicion anyways) and I took a second to explain ultima's thing at the end and they felt so powerful slapping that button

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Try to fall down the crafting/gathering hole for no reason. It's a terrible idea to do pre-flying but it will get you absurdly motivated to access new zones and their new materials if you have the same brainworms as me :unsmigghh:
At least the Weaver questline is really funny?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think with ARR there is also a disconnect of expectation. You come into the game that is generally considered to be the best or atleast in direct contention of being the best MMO on offer currently and what you get with ARR is a very basic by the numbers MMO experience.

Personally I didn't have an issue with the ARR patches, you get so much content thrown at you that you can branch out into, whenever you don't feel the MSQ, that it never started to feel like a drag as the already named pre Titan stretch.
You can pick up and use the Stormblood classes immediately, there are a lot of additional dungeons, the harder trials, the alliance raid and so on and on. So to me the Time before Heavensward, for all the wheelspinning and setup it might have, was a lot of fun.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Infected posted:

I think with ARR there is also a disconnect of expectation. You come into the game that is generally considered to be the best or atleast in direct contention of being the best MMO on offer currently and what you get with ARR is a very basic by the numbers MMO experience.

people talk about it being the best Final Fantasy full stop, which floors me. even if the story gets great (and so far it's extremely typical JRPG), the way it's presented is so lacking that I'm kind of shocked a million people pushed through it. Just quest after quest of unvoiced dialogue (seriously, an RPG MSQ should be voiced, come on) and doing the same thing; every time I go to Minfilia and she has "a new lead for me to look into" I groan because I know exactly what it's going to be. I feel like I've done dozens of hours of filler sidequests, punctuated by the very occasional dungeon.

despite my criticisms I haven't quit yet because the high level dungeons seem fun, and I'm not really sure where else to get that specific brand of co-op class based dungeon crawling (especially on console).

sooo anyway, that's how I'm feeling about FFXIV at level 35. maybe picking up a new class would break up the monotony, I dunno.

btw these posts are just for anyone curious about my specific new player experience as someone who isn't an experienced MMORPG player, if you're having fun please don't let me stop you!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

AndrewP posted:

people talk about it being the best Final Fantasy full stop, which floors me. even if the story gets great (and so far it's extremely typical JRPG), the way it's presented is so lacking that I'm kind of shocked a million people pushed through it. Just quest after quest of unvoiced dialogue (seriously, an RPG MSQ should be voiced, come on) and doing the same thing; every time I go to Minfilia and she has "a new lead for me to look into" I groan because I know exactly what it's going to be. I feel like I've done dozens of hours of filler sidequests, punctuated by the very occasional dungeon.

It absolutely is the best FF game, but ARR is not it. That's easily the worst part of the game and it does get so much better once ARR is done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A lot of the major MSQ post ARR is voiced.

ARR is just rough, but those hard edges are understandable considering what the developers were doing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
1.0 was a complete shitshow and utter failure. Yoshi-p got brought in to fix it, and the only way to fix it was to scrap it and almost completely start over. The game itself was rushed as gently caress as they full rewrote and developed an MMO in less than 2 years. There is definitely a lot of bad filler because they didn’t have much choice. They’ve gone back and fixed some of this, but there’s only so much they can redo while also developing expacs and such.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
ARR is a toll you pay to reach the good stuff and every fan accepted the cost and found the investment paid off profitably later.

There are definitely several moments in good FF14 where I can feel the energy of a mainline FF game with my single player buddy NPCs, or that I'd reached my favorite area in the game and the vibes energized me, or I thought this was a really good story beat akin to the best of your FF6s and 7s.

The level 50 content for ARR is pretty good if you like hammy empire villains.

Also the devs don't really want to advertise the game like this(the award-winning MMO FF14: the first 40 hours are a chore!) so fans try to encourage people to tough it out so they have the base understanding of characters and events to savor things blooming later. There are ARR payoffs in ShB and EW! But honestly ARR is a haze I barely remember other than individual primals, empire storyline, crystal tower storyline and the best content, Hildibrand. And even with all that the ARR post-patch makes you wait just a bit longer to see if you can really survive the long term visual novel plodding towards payoff structure because every expac is gonna do it for the MSQ.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 4, 2024

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't blame people for using ARR story skips, because yeah, it really is a slog at times. And most of the payoffs do get a little moment of "hey, remember this guy? He did this one thing!" to remind the people who last saw said character eight IRL years ago.

I don't like encouraging using the story skip, it sets a bad precedent, but I also can't in good faith argue against it if someone likes the core gameplay but can't bring themselves to push through 2.0 and 2.X.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
back when i was runnin 2.x i really wished there was a $1.99 store item to just skip one xpac's patch content

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

back when i was runnin 2.x i really wished there was a $1.99 store item to just skip one xpac's patch content
God I wish it was $1.99.

Currently the ARR skip is $11.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah im specifically talking about post X.0 patch stuff, not the whole package. Wanna say i thought about it post-stormblood too

I think i got mad because i was trying to get levels back then and the XP is dogshit

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Post patch exp is always terrible because they backfill the exp after the next expansion comes out and they don't want you to level significantly before you reach the next expansion. I think the one exception is ARR with road to x because that just shits bonus exp all over you.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

AndrewP posted:

despite my criticisms I haven't quit yet because the high level dungeons seem fun, and I'm not really sure where else to get that specific brand of co-op class based dungeon crawling (especially on console).

sooo anyway, that's how I'm feeling about FFXIV at level 35. maybe picking up a new class would break up the monotony, I dunno.

btw these posts are just for anyone curious about my specific new player experience as someone who isn't an experienced MMORPG player, if you're having fun please don't let me stop you!

picking up a second job is definitely a good move, you'll have more exp than you know what to do with.

i have mixed feelings about skipping ARR because there are a lot of little tiny details that have a lot of payoff, but also that's WAY later, and there are also plenty of details that just get resolved within ARR-HW or left by the wayside and never come up again. you shouldn't count my opinion so much though because i binged ARR in its old form over like a week and a half in 2016 when heavensward dropped, so my memories are more than a bit fuzzy. The main thing is that the last little segment of the ARR post-story ramps up in huge and exciting ways that you might feel bad for not seeing directly, but if you're fine with just watching those cutscenes on youtube and picking up the rest of the in-between context through playing the game, go hog wild imo

one funny way to get past some of the boredom is also to be on with friends who also play. anyone remotely invested in the story loves seeing live new player reactions, especially when it starts getting places. even before then, a lot of these characters stick around for a long time so they'll have perspectives on stuff

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 4, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it's tempting, but I actually don't even know if the ARR skip is possible for me since I'm on the Xbox free trial beta thing.

Anyway, I picked up Lancer to level up just to try something different and take a break from the MSQ. I think running and around hunting FATEs to level this job is probably the most fun I've had in this game so far. Just cannot get down with absolute brain-dead questing of the MSQ

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If you skip ARR then you miss the tragic life and death of Moenbryda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'd be a lot more willing to suggest the ARR skip if it wasn't so expensive

ARR sucks but it doesn't suck enough to fork out that kinda money for it