Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

It’s actually kind of comical how long Asuka’s basic reversals last. I’ve had many situations where people eat them when they could have just walked up to me and thrown me. At low ranks of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
OK, I have two recent replays - how do I link them here? Is there an easy way to do it?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I don't think there's a way to link specific replays with codes, you could either post your Tekken ID (shows up in Play Data from the menu) which would let us search for them, or you could screen record them and post on streamable or some similar site.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
OK! I'm actually excited about getting torn to shreds some valuable feedback on my play! I've always wanted to get ... decent at a fighting game, where it feels like I'm not just mashing buttons and hoping. Thanks for being a welcoming bunch, and tolerant of whining.

Replay 1 - https://streamable.com/oj8ujs - Me vs King

I've finally settled on Hwo - I like some of the stance mixups even if I can't do them reliably and I dig his aggression. I'm having trouble with punishing a downed opponent, and punishes in general. In training they make sense, but it seems like when I try nothing lands and the opponent's attacks have no interrupt time.

also, apologies, I figured out how to hide the pauses only after I uploaded this one.

Replay 2 - https://streamable.com/1wlg94 - Me vs Kazuya

I kept eating poo poo from his parry smash or whatever it's called, as well as his heat attack thing .

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

OK! I'm actually excited about getting torn to shreds some valuable feedback on my play! I've always wanted to get ... decent at a fighting game, where it feels like I'm not just mashing buttons and hoping. Thanks for being a welcoming bunch, and tolerant of whining.

I've finally settled on Hwo - I like some of the stance mixups even if I can't do them reliably and I dig his aggression. I'm having trouble with punishing a downed opponent, and punishes in general. In training they make sense, but it seems like when I try nothing lands and the opponent's attacks have no interrupt time.

also, apologies, I figured out how to hide the pauses only after I uploaded this one.

I kept eating poo poo from his parry smash or whatever it's called, as well as his heat attack thing .

I only watched a little bit of the second one but, he keeps doing that armor attack because youre not punishing it and you walk into it, he whiffs it in front of your face and you just stand there a couple times, and if you block it thats -12 in you favor so you could punish it on block also. People will use any move over and over if you arent reacting to it correctly. Also you run in a lot without intention, you can't block while moving in so if youre closing distance either, use appropriate moves that close the distance for you, use your while running move (a good option at all levels but especially good at lower levels) or run and stop and let them whiff something. Basically your main issue is youre moving in a lot to get clipped for no reason and youre not doing basic punishes. Look up hwoarangs 10 frame punish and his while running move and that will already sort out a lot. Also don't heat engage into heat ender right away. Thats a waste of heat. If you're going to use the ender you should be trying to punish with it for guaranteed damage, otherwise use the heat time to chip and use character specific heat moves.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Does tekken have a coop practice mode???? I did that when learning samsho from scratch with someone really good and it accelerated my learning speed like 10 fold lol. The more the years go by the madder I get at tekken for lacking basic poo poo like punishing pluggers.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

No judgement, we've all been here. Besides what's been said, I noticed you land a lot of counterhit 4's that are crumpling them then just letting them drop, and I'm sure you could be hitting them with a huge combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8RcQGOGIE&t=89s

If you want to start learning a combo I'd pick an easy one that continues off that move. If combo practice sounds boring then at least follow it up with your most damaging string.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nice Van My Man posted:

Actually yeah, you've got to tell us your character and then we can tell you what the win button is.

I'm Alisa, tell me all of the win buttons

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MechaX posted:

-Activate heat
-Apply chainsaw

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It's all good, you're actually doing great for being new!

I don't know much about Hwo but just be careful with characters who have these stances you can't block from. Worst case is you are doing a lot of strings that put you into stance when you don't plan to be and then you can't block after.

First big thing is I think you should get very used to your i11 punish, 4,3. If you see that they are doing a string over and over, try blocking it and seeing if 4,3 punishes them on block. You can also use 4,3 if you see that they whiffed a move right in front of you and the 4,3 is close enough to connect.

A lot of powercrushes are punishable on block, often that number is -12 meaning your i11 move is gauranteed. If you noticed this Kazuya loves the power crush then instead of attacking into it, stand block and when they use it on you hit them with the 4,3. Even if you don't know whether their move is safe or unsafe on block, try using your 4,3 after blocking it. If they blocked successfully, you know their move was not -11 or worse and can try something else. Lots of tekken is just experimenting with your moves in this way mid-match.

4,4,4,4 is also a good string that starts up in i11 and will catch people mashing in between, but be careful because if they duck the last few kicks they can get a huge punish. 4,3 is great because the second hit is a mid.

The second thing is whiff punishing. In tekken you should really be sniffing out whiffs from the opponent and not letting them get away with that, once you have your launch combos down you can be doing tons more damage with whiff punishes. Both these opponents were just standing there whiffing stuff in front of you over and over, so for now you can use 4,3 to punish where you're in range, and learn a longer range punish. I'm just trying to give you things that don't require memorizing combos and having them ready at all times.

Some homework if you want is the following: Try fighting an entire match with just 4,3, and some lows. Your gameplan should be to just stand block, don't dash in at all just let them come to you. After you have blocked something, either one of their bigger moves or a string, press 4,3. Don't use 4,3 after you're hit, only after you visually confirmed that you blocked. You will be able to get a ton of damage because either they used something punishable, OR they just pressed more buttons when they were a frame disadvantage and your move wins.
I tried this out on my PSN account where I haven't ranked up at all and was able to win most of my rounds. One player seemed to get so frustrated that they stopped moving at all in the last round and let me win.

The modifications you're allowed is if they just stand there doing nothing, try 4,4,4,4, or some lows. You may also get thrown a lot and take damage from lows but that's okay. Don't fall for the temptation to start randomly ducking because you'll just eat one of their mid launchers and take even more damage.
Also as soon as they go into rage, stop attacking and let them do their rage art. You can do a dash up then hold back to bait it out. Players at this level will almost always fall for it. To punish you can use 4,3 but also try d/f+2 and then mash 4444 (which is what I did because I don't know any hwo combos lol.)

I hope you get something out of this, happy to help on the goon discord as well. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I hope this unlocks something for you. Hopefully some actual Hwo players can give you tips.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I need to break my habit of using get up low and mid kicks a lot from t7... they get blow up a lot more in 8

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

MechaX posted:

I don't play Alisa so hopefully an Alisa player posts here, but I think a pro move is to pick 2 little hat accessories then balance them on top of her little hat so that she's wearing a tower of little hats. Failing that the chainsaws are pretty annoying.

Seltzer posted:

I need to break my habit of using get up low and mid kicks a lot from t7... they get blow up a lot more in 8

And get into the habit of the combo punishable 3+4 kip up. I swear it wins every match. It's replacing my Tekken 7 favorite: down 3 lying toe kick. I swear making it combo punishable just made it better somehow.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 2, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Seltzer posted:

Does tekken have a coop practice mode???? I did that when learning samsho from scratch with someone really good and it accelerated my learning speed like 10 fold lol. The more the years go by the madder I get at tekken for lacking basic poo poo like punishing pluggers.

You can have someone locally take up the second controller, or if you're on PC people have used Parsec or Steam Link type setups?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

And get into the habit of the combo punishable 3+4 kip up. I swear it wins every match. It's replacing my Tekken 7 favorite: down 3 lying toe kick. I swear making it combo punishable just made it better somehow.

Note that because of the animation, the punishability of it is very dependent on distance. If someone does it to you at point blank then yes you can block and launch them. however if it's further out, you might have to use a faster punish.... I think it might even be safe at tip range?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Random Feng stuff- I leaned on 3,3(4) too much while climbing and the 4 extension will get you blown up a lot in reds + (even when you try to mix it or use it later in a set). Still been using it but dialing it back and mainly just using 3,3 or 3,3 into back turned and then possibly ripping the 4 late into a set, been mixing 4~3 a lot more into my approach tools. It's a good move and does chip damage. Also along with 1,3 being my main punish and 1,2,2 into back turn being a mixup ive added in 2,3,1 also. So many people in reds and higher eat that last hit even on block its a funny animation. Oh, yeah whether i do it intentionally or just end up there, if you end up like just outside the other persons range in back turn, just chill there for a second then throw the 2 armored punch out when they run in. I have had like a 9/10 success rate baiting people with it, very funny and effective.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Ffffffuuuuuck! They nerfed Red on women. It can't be applied from saved colors, and old customizations are neon red now.

It's only the body-mold tops, in case someone thought they saw a bare boob instead of a painted boob. Still, the collateral damage is unfathomable!

Before and after:

Metroid Dread Alisa was my favorite skin. Why must I suffer for the crimes of people using skin tones. Why not just block skin tones exclusively!? :smith:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 3, 2024

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed, Raven is a mortal kombat character

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There's no way they weren't looking at Noob Saibot when they came up with those moves.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sometimes when I use Asuka's df2 directly after entering heat with 2+3, it does not seem to launch on hit but only do a normal hit with the opponent's model leaning slightly backwards). Is there some obscure rule of the game I'm overlooking? I would have assumed her df2 to launch on hit everytime.

(Also, as I'm already posting about Asuka and are in a salty mood, I feel like all the guides/people saying Asuka is a good beginner character are lying. Her toolbox feels super weak/reliant on being able to put up a proper defence, to me compared to the bullshit other characters can pull off with launching lows and far reaching moves.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I feel like secretly, any character without a launching low is actually better.
They're mostly not good (obvious exceptions exist) once you get out of potato ranks, and you're 'paying' for having one. Arguably, the habits you'll build on a character looking for 'honest' launches (punishes) will stand you in much better stead.

E: Slight irony when Asuka has one of the longest reaching launchers that exists. Admittedly, do it wrong and you're going TO ZE MOON, but you know, it's there.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Randler posted:

Sometimes when I use Asuka's df2 directly after entering heat with 2+3, it does not seem to launch on hit but only do a normal hit with the opponent's model leaning slightly backwards). Is there some obscure rule of the game I'm overlooking? I would have assumed her df2 to launch on hit everytime.

(Also, as I'm already posting about Asuka and are in a salty mood, I feel like all the guides/people saying Asuka is a good beginner character are lying. Her toolbox feels super weak/reliant on being able to put up a proper defence, to me compared to the bullshit other characters can pull off with launching lows and far reaching moves.)

df2 on Asuka doesn't launch crouching characters - that lean back stun is the universal signal that you've hit with a move that doesn't launch crouchers on a crouching opponent.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, the rule of thumb for most characters' df2s is: either it's safe and does not launch crouchers (Asuka's is only -6 on block), or it's unsafe but will launch crouchers (most characters' df2s are -12 to -14 on block)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Randler posted:

Good beginner character doesn't necessarily mean easy wins, more that their game plan is straightforward and in some cases helps you learn Tekken.

Asuka does have plenty of gimmicks if you want to lean into that side, but so does every other character.

e: if you want an easy win character right now just pick king

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Urethane posted:

It's all good, you're actually doing great for being new!
I hope you get something out of this, happy to help on the goon discord as well. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I hope this unlocks something for you. Hopefully some actual Hwo players can give you tips.

Great post, I'm in the process of learning and all this hits home.

sephiRoth IRA, I'd like to reiterate on two specific things that I've found accelerated my learning of this game.

First, regarding frame data: I don't know how familiar you are with the concept of frame data in FGs, but in Tekken specifically there's a couple things you need to be mindful of.
The interesting range of frame data regards everything that goes from 10 to 16 frames of startup. Hoping that the design of other FGs could help me, I just assumed that if a move looks fast, it's fast, like a light kick in Street Fighter.

Don't use this assumption! Tekken doesn't work that way. Still, there is a proper power budgeting between damage, frame data, capability to hit, leaving the opponent in juggle state...

If you look https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml, you'll notice every character has a punish table with startup frames for every move.
If you want to approach the game analytically, you can try blocking everything you can block and try punishing with what's on that table - as Urethane said, experimenting by testing different startups.
As I said, there's power budgeting in moves, so a 10 frames punish is not going -usually- to offer the same opportunities as a 14f one.

First corollary to this is knowing how much you're risking when you're firing off a move or sequence and it gets blocked; measuring this risk is very easy, you need to know what moves are less than -10 on block, -11, -12, and so on, upwards to -16 or worse. Less than -10 means you can safely start blocking, anything above -11 won't guarantee your safety if you try going in neutral block.
Second corollary to this is that you can "trap" an enemy by spamming jabs. Imagine your jab is +1 on block: you can continuously wail on your 1 and they'll never get their turn back (and will start ducking or sidestepping).
If what I've said sounds like gibberish, feel free to ask.

Second, you need to judge better your ranges. I'm personally finding this harder than expected despite getting to the 100hours mark on T8, so I totally get why it happens.
The point is, whiff punishing is part of the game and it happens whenever the opponent manages to keep their exact distance obfuscated from you.
But you should never miss *because you misjudged static distances*. Watching replays, you should be able to spot these mistakes.

Other than that, Tekken is hard. Follow the suggestions Urethane proposed, they'll help you give meaning and purpose to your actions.

Char fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Picked up a Haute42 T16 leverless and am using the following layout based on advice from the Discord channel:

The binds are what a friend suggested so our group had a consistent pad loadout for whenever we got together to play in-person. I know it's going to be a journey to go from button mashy pad play to more thoughtful leverless play so figure it's best if I start off with the layout I plan to use long-term. Interested in any thoughts or suggestions.

I'm noticing the 1+3 and 2+4 are a bit awkward to execute but wondering how important those binds are given how frequently those throws get broken. Reaching the 1+2 to try and break throws has been challenging so far.

So far the biggest challenge is posture and hovering my hands to better access all the buttons. Sitting up straight with the controller in my lap still doesn't feel like sufficient distance to properly hover them and the urge to rest my wrists is strong.

My inclination is to go with a setup that has the face buttons along the top row so I can rest my hands somewhat like it would with a keyboard but I reckon that's not optimal long-term and would make fitting the DDI movements more challenging. I'm still not sure I understand DDI or if I've configured them correctly but I figure that's something I can worry about down the line.

I'm back to being able to at least take a match off my friends but not winning many sets. I'm still able to mash pretty okay which is unfortunate. Playing Azucena and Jack-8 currently if that matters.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I haven't had time to play more than a few matches but wanted to say thank you to all for the guidance. I've definitely been more mindful of blocking and punishing, but it's a slow road, and the distance talk is timely. I'll play another bunch of matches and post updated replays for your amusement :)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Coming to the conclusion that not only am I free to King, I can't even begin, even watching the Punish tutorials, how to deal with him. Everything is armoured, everything crushes, everything does half bar.

Someone write :words: because I'm practically checking out when his stupid face appears on the load screen.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levin posted:

Picked up a Haute42 T16 leverless and am using the following layout based on advice from the Discord channel:

1234 are traditionally the leftmost buttons (that aren't directionals) on a hitbox, that layout would bug me but if you're used to it go nuts. You should really feel free to bind whatever wherever based on what you actually use, it's not unheard of for people to have a different controller config per character. There's no "optimal" here, but before training yourself with a bunch of different utility buttons try playing a bunch of matches with just your normal 1234 and see what you could actually use a shortcut for.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 4, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Coming to the conclusion that not only am I free to King, I can't even begin, even watching the Punish tutorials, how to deal with him. Everything is armoured, everything crushes, everything does half bar.

Someone write :words: because I'm practically checking out when his stupid face appears on the load screen.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I learned about frames today through multiple YouTube videos. Question- Dragunovs FFF2 move seems to put me at a -6 on block, but in practice I could sidestep it. Is that the only way to avoid it?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think so. It's a pretty annoying move, although Azucena has it beat IMO. While running moves used to be harder to do because if you touched the opponent they wouldn't work. I was decent at instant while running in T7 so it just feels crazy in T8.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I would not recommend trying to learn sidestepping so early on but if you really want to, make sure to sidestep -> block quickly to minimize your vulnerability.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Levin posted:

The binds are what a friend suggested so our group had a consistent pad loadout for whenever we got together to play in-person. I know it's going to be a journey to go from button mashy pad play to more thoughtful leverless play so figure it's best if I start off with the layout I plan to use long-term. Interested in any thoughts or suggestions.

I'm noticing the 1+3 and 2+4 are a bit awkward to execute but wondering how important those binds are given how frequently those throws get broken. Reaching the 1+2 to try and break throws has been challenging so far.

So far the biggest challenge is posture and hovering my hands to better access all the buttons. Sitting up straight with the controller in my lap still doesn't feel like sufficient distance to properly hover them and the urge to rest my wrists is strong.

My inclination is to go with a setup that has the face buttons along the top row so I can rest my hands somewhat like it would with a keyboard but I reckon that's not optimal long-term and would make fitting the DDI movements more challenging. I'm still not sure I understand DDI or if I've configured them correctly but I figure that's something I can worry about down the line.

I'm back to being able to at least take a match off my friends but not winning many sets. I'm still able to mash pretty okay which is unfortunate. Playing Azucena and Jack-8 currently if that matters.

what the hell is ddl and ddr

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

1234 are traditionally the leftmost buttons (that aren't directionals) on a hitbox, that layout would bug me but if you're used to it go nuts. You should really feel free to bind whatever wherever based on what you actually use, it's not unheard of for people to have a different controller config per character. There's no "optimal" here, but before training yourself with a bunch of different utility buttons try playing a bunch of matches with just your normal 1234 and see what you could actually use a shortcut for.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been trying this a little. I think the offsetting of the buttons is helpful and the fewer buttons to mash will hopefully make me a little more deliberate with my inputs.

Pockyless posted:

what the hell is ddl and ddr

Dual-Directional Input Left and Dual-Directional Input Right. My understanding is they can correspond to to DL and DR on an analog stick. These are meant to allow for easier Korean backdashing and wavedashing I'm told?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Can't you kbd on a hitbox by just holding back and tapping down and then forward?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Levin posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been trying this a little. I think the offsetting of the buttons is helpful and the fewer buttons to mash will hopefully make me a little more deliberate with my inputs.

Dual-Directional Input Left and Dual-Directional Input Right. My understanding is they can correspond to to DL and DR on an analog stick. These are meant to allow for easier Korean backdashing and wavedashing I'm told?

wait aren't you the guy who plays azucena, doesn't want to practice and just wants to gently caress around offline with friends? why do you have buttons mapped for kbd which you can't do and wavedash which your character isn't capable of?

seriously just focus on directions and 1234, the game is built around those buttons.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wait aren't you the guy who plays azucena, doesn't want to practice and just wants to gently caress around offline with friends? why do you have buttons mapped for kbd which you can't do and wavedash which your character isn't capable of?

seriously just focus on directions and 1234, the game is built around those buttons.

I am, they've gotten better and I guess I want to as well. Tried the layout based on suggestion from Discord, thought it best to practice a layout I might eventually want to use but you're right, simple is best to start.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

poe meater posted:

I would not recommend trying to learn sidestepping so early on but if you really want to, make sure to sidestep -> block quickly to minimize your vulnerability.

Oh, yeah, no, not adding that to the list right now. More trying to understand how to respond. If that move is always putting me at -6 on block, how do I respond? I actually just realized I never checked how many frames for startup on his FFF2, but presumably I just find a faster move that can bridge the distance and use that? For me I was trying to punish on block and getting rocked anyway, so I went to practice to figure out why

wit
Jul 26, 2011
This is the first I've played Tekken since Tekken 4. So glad Steve Fox is still in it. Some of the newer characters are a bit mortal kombatish but fun. I'm not really a fan of it having a rubberbanding button to press when I'm getting my rear end handed to me but I guess that is a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Oh, yeah, no, not adding that to the list right now. More trying to understand how to respond. If that move is always putting me at -6 on block, how do I respond? I actually just realized I never checked how many frames for startup on his FFF2, but presumably I just find a faster move that can bridge the distance and use that? For me I was trying to punish on block and getting rocked anyway, so I went to practice to figure out why

I would definitely not recommend trying to put a button in between Drags running 2: it is i15, and thought the input and distance traveled will slow it down, that won't be enough for you to react and get a button out in time. It's also a counter hit launcher, this is how you feed Drag Ch combos. A savy Drag player can also twitch perform the input then hold back to bait out your keepout; Drag has decent whiff punishment. So trying to play keepout against running 2 without a good read is probably just going to make you free and both lower and higher levels.

At -6 your options are severely limited, you can't step (not even Lili), you can't armor (including heat smash); you can reversal but Drags love lows and grapples at this point. Your only real option is to read their preferences here and if possible punish them hard for it.

Moves like running 2 are balanced purely by being linear, without learning to when and how to move laterally you cannot really contest them; unless the Drag players sucks and whiffs them.
Edit: Honestly that goes for the whole of Drag, past pure beginner ranks, if you don't know how and when to step, you're just a free win for him.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 4, 2024