Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol, the first episode of Elsbeth aired just now, and the second episode won't air until April 4th.

It's pretty fun though.

For some reason Fox did something similar with the season premieres of The Great North and Grimsburg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol, the first episode of Elsbeth aired just now, and the second episode won't air until April 4th.

It's pretty fun though.

According to the synopsis, this show is about a quirky autistic lawyer who solves cases with her own special way of looking at the world.
So does she talk about whales all the time?

I liked Extraordinary Attorney Woo. But I could never decide if it was a demeaning stereotype.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

don’t want to sound presumptuous, but it’s just a non-interactive version of it, right?"

Lmao some of the Fallout games don't really feel or register as Fallout games, but despite any disconnect I think this has a genuine chance of feeling more Fallout 1-2 than anything Bethesda could ever make. The first 2 were drawing a great deal from relevant media and if this is like the things that Fallout liked to be like originally, then its a fun sort of ourobouros.

quote:

"Now there’s an expectation of: 'No, they can actually be great. I watched some good ones,'" says co-showrunner Graham Wagner with a smile. "In a perverse way, I wish there was more snobbery so that we could have been the first!"

Wish granted. After seeing the Borderlands trailer I not only keep forgetting it wasn't the Fallout trailer and in general am back to pre Last of Us / Twisted Metal level expectations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

According to the synopsis, this show is about a quirky autistic lawyer who solves cases with her own special way of looking at the world.
So does she talk about whales all the time?

I liked Extraordinary Attorney Woo. But I could never decide if it was a demeaning stereotype.

It's a spin off of the Good Wife. The character is a fan fave. The Kings are usually pretty good at handling weird stuff well.

edit:
The synopsises I've read have all said "astute" not "autistic". The vibe is more manic pixie dream lawyer does Columbo not The Good Doctor

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 1, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

fez_machine posted:

The synopsises I've read have all said "astute" not "autistic". The vibe is more manic pixie dream lawyer does Columbo not The Good Doctor
more like "annoying midwestern columbo" I think

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I wanted to watch Columbo I'd do it the way God intended... by watching Poker Face :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched a bunch of episodes of some detective show I already forgot the name of. It was really corny but it was basically a Sherlock Holmes cop who was actively inventing forensic criminology as he goes. It was like the opposite of Columbia, instead of catching them in a little logical trap he has to painstakingly explain and convince people why the logic and evidence proves a less "common old times sense" solution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

If I wanted to watch Columbo I'd do it the way God intended... by watching Poker Face :colbert:

Poker Face at its best doesn't come close to Columbo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That just means there's room for improvement!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
okay I finished the Elsbeth pilot

it's not quite Columbo far more characters welcome

eagerly awaiting some insane King political nonsense in the future

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 2, 2024

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She's a fun guest character on The Good Wife/The Good Fight but she has to be insufferable in her own show

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Saying that they've been interested in an original story since their very first discussion with Todd Howard gives me hope that they know Todd Howard is full of poo poo and they shouldn't want to be associated with him

Re: Fallout

He is the Disney to Fallout's Star Wars.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 2, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

Poker Face at its best doesn't come close to Columbo.

To each their own, but Poker Face was one of the best shows that came out last year. Wouldn't say it surpasses Columbo, probably impossible, Peter Falk is just too good, but it reaches those highs in a few episodes. Easily the best show in that same vein since Columbo came out.

Go watch Poker Face if you haven't, is what I'm saying.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I watched the first two episodes of "Dick Turpin" and I enjoyed it. It's very silly and the world has a bit of a Monty Python feel.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Edward Mass posted:

Today I learned that only three streaming services actually turn a profit:

-Netflix
-Hulu
-Max (No, really)

DropoutTV not only turned a profit last year, they did profit-sharing with the talent and crew. Pretty cool for a smaller ad-free streamer.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

On Saturdays, I've been watching Jeff Corwin's show about catching, rescuing or tagging, and releasing wildlife at 10am CST/11am EST on ABC. He has one show at 10am in Florida and another ocean-themed one at 11am. Last week's ocean one was about penguins. At 10:30am, I flip it to Henry Ford's Innovation Nation, which is about modern inventions, on CBS. They also have segments like an outdoor physics playground, an engineer from Society of Women Engineers showing her siblings her job by having them compete at building towers out of pasta sticks and marshmallows, and history segments on people like George Washington Carver

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 2, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I watched the first two episodes of "Dick Turpin" and I enjoyed it. It's very silly and the world has a bit of a Monty Python feel.

I liked it aswell, it doesn't have the weirdness of Mighty Boosh, but Noel Fielding was clearly involved with the writing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of, finding out that the director of Wonka previously worked on Mighty Boosh explained Rich Fulcher's appearance in the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dick Turpin is weird because everybody is doing a period piece except for Noel Fielding who is just being a Noel Fielding character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Dick Turpin is weird because everybody is doing a period piece except for Noel Fielding who is just being a Noel Fielding character.

Ehhhhhh. Dolly Wells, Michael Fielding and both the dudes in his gang don't strike me as giving period piece performances.

TBH I'm not sure Michael Fielding can be accused of giving a performance in anything full stop. I feel like the man just talks and is instantly funny.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 3, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watched most of the first Turpin episode before I got sleepy and paused for later. It's charming. I think I only laughed once, but it's definitely the sort of thing I can just have a low-key nice time with.

Was hoping it was going to be a bit more Jack of All Trades, but it's more like Caffeine Free Diet Our Flag Means Death.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, I did not expect the crows in the last episode of Beef.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished up Mr. & Mrs Smith and there better be a second season after that ending :argh:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Finished up Mr. & Mrs Smith and there better be a second season after that ending :argh:

Why? It's a valid series finale which wraps up the lose ends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Why? It's a valid series finale which wraps up the lose ends.

It'd be pretty loving depressing if they just both get murdered, the end no moral. If they survived, then Jane has to get John medical treatment and they've got Hihi still coming after them and presumably John's mother is in extreme danger too - or if John is dead and Jane is left alive, she's gonna be on the run by herself. If we only get one season, I'm gonna be left unsatisfied either way, and feeling like there are still a ton of loose ends left: Who is Hihi? Are they actually working for the CIA/Government or is this something else? A foreign nation? A mega-corporation? What organization does Bev work for? Will Jane ever get any kind of closure re: her father? Most importantly, will Hot Neighbor get his commission?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I see your point. But for my morbid sense of humor it would be a fun ending. "Yes, that's the end. No morale." is a bit rate these days.

Mar 4, 2024
60 minutes looks like it needs another hour

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I see your point. But for my morbid sense of humor it would be a fun ending. "Yes, that's the end. No morale." is a bit rate these days.

I agree with this. It ended exactly the way it started.

Mar 4, 2024
you wonder what america's funniest home videos would look like with drinks and appetizers

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The dialogue on Constellation is seriously awful.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Hughmoris posted:

The dialogue on Constellation is seriously awful.

It really isn't great TV, they have some cool concepts and visuals but it's relying on people being wowed by the vibe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The trailer of Elsbeth screamed CBS show. Definitely feels like you have to have prior investment in that character to consider watching it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
praying the aunts come through

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I watched the pilot of Elsbeth having never seen The Good Wife and only seen a few seasons of The Good Fight, none with her in it.

I wasn’t lost at all. It’s totally it’s own thing. And it’s just shamelessly Columbo, and I’m ok with that because I want more Columbo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The trailer of Elsbeth screamed CBS show. Definitely feels like you have to have prior investment in that character to consider watching it.
I don't really get that vibe but it feels like your typical network procedure about a quirky person solving crime with some background overarching plot being developed at a glacial speed which is a formula I'm a bit tired of

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've not familiar with the character or show but based on the title, I'm guessing it's about a country bumpkin in the big city?

The actress was great in True Blood.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, Preston's great. She won an award for playing this role back in 2013, so the show feels vaguely Ted Lasso-y, in the sense that it's a vehicle for a breakout character who previously existed in a somewhat different format. (TL was a sketch character in some ads IIRC, Elsbeth was a recurring comic antagonis on a legal drama.)

I trust the Kings to do something interesting though. Everything they've done has been weird and interesting, despite a CBS patina to a lot of it. At least initially -- look how much Evil changes even by episode 4.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

I watched the pilot of Elsbeth having never seen The Good Wife and only seen a few seasons of The Good Fight, none with her in it.

I wasn’t lost at all. It’s totally it’s own thing. And it’s just shamelessly Columbo, and I’m ok with that because I want more Columbo.

I didn’t mean it from a ‘you’d be lost’ perspective, more a ‘this looks poo poo and looks aimed at 60 year olds’ one. People like those other shows so I’m sure it has something more to it, but I had no idea it was an existing character when I saw the trailer and had zero interest in going further.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm four episodes into Monsieur Spade and Clive Owen is carrying this show on his back, I like it enough to continue but I've lost track of the number of Pierre's the show expects me to keep track of and care about, and the plot isn't super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Regime good. Sometimes I wish the direction had gone harder with the energy, but I laughed and the performances are good. Love that she seemingly refuses to wear blue or red i.e. her country's colours.