Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Mate of mine insists on taking the mortar for bugs and it does absolutely nothing but obliterate us.
Gets us all real salty which I suspect is why he does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm in the habit of shooting friendly Mortars as soon as the battle has moved away from them. They're pretty decent when dropped against a bug breach, or supporting an objective like the the ICBM.

Griz
May 21, 2001

what's worse than dropping on a patrol of chargers? dropping on a jammer so you can't even call in heavy weapons

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I feel like people largely don't use melee at all and just rely entirely on their guns to kill everything. I'm not racking up massive melee kill counts or anything, but it's super useful for dealing with low-level bugs when you're out of primary ammo. Really hope I get to bring a sword or something at some point to just go to town.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ErKeL posted:

Mate of mine insists on taking the mortar for bugs and it does absolutely nothing but obliterate us.

Just shoot it and blow it up every time until they get the point.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

dog nougat posted:

I feel like people largely don't use melee at all and just rely entirely on their guns to kill everything. I'm not racking up massive melee kill counts or anything, but it's super useful for dealing with low-level bugs when you're out of primary ammo. Really hope I get to bring a sword or something at some point to just go to town.
I tried meleeing the armored lobster. It was not impressed with my melee.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

I tried meleeing the armored lobster. It was not impressed with my melee.

Lol, yeah I was kiting one missing a leg a day or so ago trying to melee it and it was not successful. I'm really hoping some sort of melee weapons get added some point. Gimme a severed melee bot arm or something. :black101:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Kinda disappointed at the apparently lack of an emote wheel. Wanna be able to hug and play rps mid mission

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

dog nougat posted:

Generally I panic and only think of melee well after it would have been useful, I don't have the muscle memory to hit the button when the poo poo hits the fan. Also Helldivers 1 had a sabre, hopefully they add something like it as a secondary.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I have yet to intentionally destroy an allies mortar turret but I kill tesla towers on sight now. Had one teammate bring it to a bot mission and one fried me while I was moving to a new objective while checking the map, and then a second one got me as I came around a corner it was behind. They helpfully informed me that it won't zap you if you're prone and I helpfully demonstrated the effect impact grenades have on them.

Darox fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 3, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rusty posted:

Yeah, exactly, it gets out of control so fast that it's impossible to ever recover.

I must be lucky, out of all my games so far the only times I have seen anything be unrecoverable it's been because a teammate (or 2 or 3) refuses to disengage and keeps shooting everything forever like some kind of demented last stand instead of hitting the bricks and breaking LOS and just getting on with life. This most often happens on bugs because someone keeps shooting patrols that are otherwise far enough away not to aggro.

In almost all cases you can just run from it. Come back after regrouping and breaking LOS.

It's like people don't get the idea that you get basically nothing from killing in this game. It's often profoundly counterproductive.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Man I don't play a lot of bot missions cause every time I do I feel like I get destroyed.

Cannon Turrets in bases, Stratagem Blockers, Eyes that call in endless dropships, these guys are hosed up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

BitBasher posted:

I must be lucky, out of all my games so far the only times I have seen anything be unrecoverable it's been because a teammate (or 2 or 3) refuses to disengage and keeps shooting everything forever like some kind of demented last stand instead of hitting the bricks and breaking LOS and just getting on with life. This most often happens on bugs because someone keeps shooting patrols that are otherwise far enough away not to aggro.
If you haven't tried one yet, evac missions are uniquely difficult. They happen on small maps and bots dropship in nonstop at an insane rate no matter what you do.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Griz posted:

I had some moron bring the regular mortar to one of the bug extermination missions on the really tiny map and it killed me like 6 times

I played with you and a teammate was responsible for every death I had except 1 that round by doing this

I guess theoretically it could have been somebody with your same name but the host was another goon so that seems unlikely

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://twitter.com/bnbaku2/status/1764078233438593441?s=46&t=a_mv03YJHZ6aFsgE9dxmlw

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Mortar on bugs: :suicide:

Mortar on bots :bisonyes:

E: play all campaigns so you don’t have opinions like the slugger is bad people, it has a purpose it just needs more ammo. Slug shotgun is a better DMR or even AMR lmao

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 3, 2024

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Seconding EATs, they're better than I initially thought and more importantly really fun. Instead of running shield + railgun on bug missions, I've been doing a lot of arc thrower + EAT.

and pubs, yeah, they're a mixed bag. I'm doing missions at 8 right now, and it still happens that everyone just fucks off doing their own thing without any communication. Like you don't have to use voice, just drop markers and I'll happily do your plan. if no one is dropping markers, then at least go to my markers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnldilb3l2A

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I get a lot of pubbies that have no idea what they're doing which I don't blame because I only started like 3 days ago but for the most part if I tell them to disengage they'll usually follow me.
I still get a lot of real fresh faces on diff 7. Today I had a lvl 3 cadet quickplay into my group which impressed me. I have no idea how he even unlocked it while remaining so low level.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

hey mom its 420 posted:

Seconding EATs, they're better than I initially thought and more importantly really fun. Instead of running shield + railgun on bug missions, I've been doing a lot of arc thrower + EAT.

and pubs, yeah, they're a mixed bag. I'm doing missions at 8 right now, and it still happens that everyone just fucks off doing their own thing without any communication. Like you don't have to use voice, just drop markers and I'll happily do your plan. if no one is dropping markers, then at least go to my markers.
I actually ran that combo tonight in a random pug. Arc Thrower, EAT, and Laser Rover with Orbital Railgun as a pocket solution to bigger stuff. Ran the slugger on my primary to deal with hive guards and brood commanders. Two of my teammates were running railgun/shield/breaker, and I was free to use the arc thrower to rip through trash mobs with relatively little chance of accidentally hitting them with the chain lightning effect. It felt nice to coordinate loadouts like that to cover different options.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I like the machine gun and intend to continue using it past its normal effective difficulty level regardless

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Away all Goats posted:

It's worse in every way than the regular breaker, and maybe even one of the worst guns in the game.

It's actually servicably mediocre. The problem is the fire effect doesn't have any sort of stun or crowd control effect.

It trades direct damage, number of mags and full auto fire (it has a limiter and stops after a short burst) for flashy fire effects and a DOT that can spread to the ground and anything that walks through it. If it slowed or stunned or confused the bugs at all it would be an absolutely disgusting crowd control weapon for the Terminids.

Likewise I call bullshit on the fire grenade not working on terminid nests. I just filled that hole with burning phosphorous: anything down there should be either dead or dying and in pain the entire time. Instead it just splashes everywhere.

Worf posted:

I like the machine gun and intend to continue using it past its normal effective difficulty level regardless

If your team has the heavy stuff covered, then you're doing Liberty's work holding back the horde.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 3, 2024

butt pound foolish
Oct 27, 2020

Can’t be certain, but I think the bile titans may be extremely weak to fire. I stood underneath one with a flamethrower and it died in one canister.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
People are also saying it kills chargers very quickly as long as you can hold it on the same leg for a few seconds, though sometimes it just doesn't work.

It would be funny if the flamethrower also turns out to be an anti-big-guy weapon because it has relatively low DPS but ignores armor, letting it penetrate straight to the weak points.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ErKeL posted:

Lol good

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

dog nougat posted:

Absolutely do not underestimate the value of melee being able to stun bugs up to the warrior; it has saved my rear end many a time against hunters by giving you an opening to either make more space or shoot the fucker.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, I melee the little shits all the time. 2-3 scavengers and little leaper dudes get beat to death nearly every bug mission.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I had a couple really good pubbie groups today. One where they were achievement hunting and we all got really excited about the Rock/Paper/Scissors emote. The other got me through my Extreme operation and got me my Railgun unlocked.

Anything 'bile' is still a pain for me to deal with. Bile Spewers especially. I'm sure there's a more effective way to take them down, but seeing 4-6 globs of artillery fly up just makes me groan. They're the leading cause of death for me vs. bugs at this difficulty.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Threw an eagle airstrike into the objective while the host was circling off to the side. Naturally, they change direction and run to the center. God it was beautiful watching the bombs march towards them, last one nailing them perfectly. Immediately kicked. :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I had a couple really good pubbie groups today. One where they were achievement hunting and we all got really excited about the Rock/Paper/Scissors emote. The other got me through my Extreme operation and got me my Railgun unlocked.

Anything 'bile' is still a pain for me to deal with. Bile Spewers especially. I'm sure there's a more effective way to take them down, but seeing 4-6 globs of artillery fly up just makes me groan. They're the leading cause of death for me vs. bugs at this difficulty.

Grenade Launcher/Autocannon does unkind things to Bile/Nursing spewers. Two direct hits (or three grazes) and they pop like water balloons, which is insane considering what bullet sponges they are otherwise. When I bring a GL and I see the first little green mini-spewer appear I start laughing like a maniac because I get to turn their big brothers into splatters across the map.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I have encountered a new and exciting (read: annoying) bug, this one kicks me out of a terminal as soon as I press any input. As you can imagine this makes entering codes very slow and certain tasks like getting 100% signal almost impossible.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the counter to bile spewers is the energy shield

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Warmachine posted:

Railgun to the face, or an impact nade to the butt, or anything semi-explosive on the butt (autocannons, explosive libs, grenade launcher, etc). Don't underestimate the lowly grenade in its ability to wipe out a whole group of those fat-butted jerks.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Bile Spitters and Heavy Devastators suddenly showing up unexpectedly are my panic grenade trigger.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Warmachine posted:

Unsafe railgun charge one-shots the bile spewers (shoot them in the head) and 1-2 shots Bile Titans. The easiest way to line up that shot is to bait them into spewing acid and then shooting the green sac behind their ears. I've had decent luck just shooting them in their open mouth too.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Regular safe railgun shot will also take out all bile spewers if you get a headshot.

I'm a little mixed on the slugger. It certainly takes bugs down just as fast or faster than the breaker, and is better at range, but if you're suddenly surrounded by hunters all on top of you then spraying the breaker in all directions gets them off of you a lot faster. I feel like the slugger would be a really good alternate option if it didn't rotate it's aim way more slowly, that just feels bad.
E: sorry, I'm talking about the JAR-5 dominator here

Much better at range though. Haven't used it against the bots yet but I bet it shines there.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 3, 2024

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sindai posted:

People are also saying it kills chargers very quickly as long as you can hold it on the same leg for a few seconds, though sometimes it just doesn't work.

It would be funny if the flamethrower also turns out to be an anti-big-guy weapon because it has relatively low DPS but ignores armor, letting it penetrate straight to the weak points.

So I just tested on a couple of level 3 charger missions.

Incendiary shotgun: If you do get a charger that bugs out and lets you just shoot them in the rear end without moving you'll pop the bug butt in a single 25 round magazine, but that's pretty atypical. An actual running 1v1 fight had me just getting grazing shot and hardly doing anything against chargers. Felt a bit better against the trash bugs when I realized each of its magazine did have 25 rounds so I wasn't exactly hurting for ammo despite only having 6 spare magazines. Upon looking again it seems the biggest issue is that it doesn't actually set stuff on fire for long: really maybe a second at most so the fire doesn't actually do very much damage. It also doesn't have the nice cone of fire that the pump action and standard auto-shotty have so it sprays shots everywhere. You're tickling 5 bugs instead of punching one or two.

Flamethrower: Upon testing, yes it absolutely melts chargers. Try to focus on one leg since just aiming at the head/body took forever, but focusing on the leg melted it in about 3/4ths of a tank. The legs seem to have less HP and when one dies the charger just keels over.

FunkyFjord posted:

Regular safe railgun shot will also take out all bile spewers if you get a headshot.

I'm a little mixed on the slugger. It certainly takes bugs down just as fast or faster than the breaker, and is better at range, but if you're suddenly surrounded by hunters all on top of you then spraying the breaker in all directions gets them off of you a lot faster. I feel like the slugger would be a really good alternate option if it didn't rotate it's aim way more slowly, that just feels bad.
E: sorry, I'm talking about the JAR-5 dominator here

Much better at range though. Haven't used it against the bots yet but I bet it shines there.

Yeah my biggest issue with the JAR-5 Dominator was how SLOW it was. The thing has about the same turning speed as the autocannon, but it's a primary so it doesn't have an AC's punch.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 3, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yall weren't kidding about the spear lockon issue, it repeatedly cancels its own lock when the only thing in view is completely unobstructed. it's borderline unusable and when it does actually lock it still manages to miss chargers in motion.

big lol at the laser cannon too, it's basically worse than a primary. definitely looking forward to that balance patch

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Owl Inspector posted:

yall weren't kidding about the spear lockon issue, it repeatedly cancels its own lock when the only thing in view is completely unobstructed. it's borderline unusable and when it does actually lock it still manages to miss chargers in motion.

big lol at the laser cannon too, it's basically worse than a primary. definitely looking forward to that balance patch

I wouldn't mind it overshooting chargers if it actually worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The spear should have a laser-targeter you can hand to someone to paint targets instead of trying to coerce the lock-on to do its thing.