Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i was really hoping for some glimpses at conversations between lady jessica and some of the people she considered weak minded, fanatical, and afraid. show her putting her plan in place, instead of just cutting back to her later with her sick new gear and facepaint. she went from lvl 10 to lvl 99 and i wanted to see some lvl ~40-60 stuff going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I keep thinking how funny it is when Feyd does the cliche "lick the knife" thing, but it doesn't actually cut his tongue so he complains it's not sharp enough.

This movie manages a lot of surprising comedy that somehow doesn't undercut the story imo

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I also really want to know how much Anya Taylor Joy was paid for being in 6 seconds of this movie.

she was in it heaps right from the start, just heavily made up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The thing that bugs me is pretty much all the battles in the first movie and second movie are ambushes. No one ever seems to have good intel.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Martman posted:

This movie manages a lot of surprising comedy that somehow doesn't undercut the story imo

I chuckled at Chani point blank rocket blasting that dude into the side of a harvester.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

awesmoe posted:

huh?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

awesmoe posted:

Ah the Andy serkis school of acting

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
All quibbles with the movie aside, I've seen it twice, it's impeccable in many ways. Denis was allowed to complete his vision (who would have bet on that in September 2021?) and we will very likely see Dune: Messiah cause https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-part-two-box-office-1235839660/

Crazy.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 3, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/Rickyismsss/status/1763372042265510227?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Martman posted:

Yeah I was surprised at how genuinely funny it was. As much as Denis hates dialogue there's a lot of good chat in this.

I can think of two mildly amusing bits in the first film (Gurney's "I am smiling" and Stilgar spitting) but there were quite a few in this one.

killaer posted:

Ok can we just admit part 2 was a disappointment? Let’s let the movie make some serious money and have a chance for round 3 but let’s face it, it’s not perfect, so compared to part 1 it’s kinda a failure

Lmao what the gently caress?

stev fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 3, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1764119770591641773?t=OpnyZNE8rK2on3wmp_U2eQ&s=19

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Oh man, I am looking forward to seeing this when I feel better.

One issue I have with it is that the Yueh won't be in this one. He had my favourite side-plot when it came to the first one when it came to the tooth. The lines when he speaks to Leto are just masterclass. And the end result makes you want to throw a brick at the screen. Like C'MON! They could have at least taken the Baron out in exchange for Yueh and his wife and Leto and most all the Atreides.

This sub-plot also makes little sense to me. Yueh has dealt with the Baron before, at least in the stories. He knows he's petty, cruel, and obviouuussly a double-crosser. Why trust him at all? Is this better explained in the novel? I haven't read it in over a decade. Is the sheer horror of what would be being done to her just enough to make him grasp at straws, and give up everything for a probability of saving her approaching zero?

Another character I'll miss is Thufir. No recollection how he appears in the novel, but I really liked his depiction in the movie. (Almost?) always where you have "thinking machines" in sci-fi they're barely recognizable as human. But Thufir is warm, familial, and with just a hiiint of awkwardness showing that his mind isn't neurotypical anymore.

*Only* thing I didn't like is the scene where Stilgar spits in the chamber and Thufir alongside everyone but Duncan draws his weapon. You'd think a walking encyclopaedia would have looked into Fremen customs?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I'm a bit lost as to why you think Yueh would appear in this film?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

Is this better explained in the novel?

no

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Actually it's his brother, Stroganoff.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Movie was good. Really love the look and feel of everything even if it's not how I personally envisioned it while reading the book. It's so refreshing to have a IP like Dune get such a faithful adaptation.

My only serious criticisms are Chalamet and Zendaya. They're fine actors but Chalamet just doesn't have the aura of leader. Zendaya needed an accent or something. In an alien future they feel to familiar. Maybe it was intentional to make them more relatable.

Best performances were once again Ferguson and Butler.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
This was, visually and sonically, one of the most spectacular cinematic experiences I’ve had. Really cool stuff, from the Sietch Tabr set to the sand snorkels to the Giedi Prime fireworks. The costumes were amazing, especially the Bene Gesserit robes and headdresses. Well-acted all around—Bardem was perfect in the goofy devout mode that I see some people didn’t love, Austin Butler was super unsettling, and I thought that Florence Pugh and Christopher Walken did well with what they were given.

Narratively, I wasn’t super convinced. As others have mentioned, Paul’s turn felt super abrupt. It was pretty funny to have Jessica talking to her unborn child about how they needed to do a lot of work to convert the nonbelievers, and then have that apparently happen entirely offscreen. My main complaint though, was that for what’s mostly a war movie, I found myself having a lot of difficulty following the state of the conflict, from both strategic and tactical standpoints. I haven’t read the book, and also may have just missed things. Some specific questions I had, which may seems CinemaSins-y, but which were genuinely confusing and distracting for me:

* The Fremen at first seem to mostly be harassing spice harvesters in an attempt to shut down production to hurt the Harkonnens. Then suddenly someone says that they’ve advanced almost to Arrakeen. When did the conflict turn into something with a front line?
* In the first attack on a harvester (when Paul and Chani take down the Ornithopter), what was the point of the ground assault at all? The battle ends with lasers easily destroying the harvester, why not just use those from the start? I understand there’s some complication with shields, but I thought they weren’t able to use shields in the desert?
* Feyd-Rautha shows up and immediately blows up Sietch Tabr. Why didn’t Rabban do this earlier? Did he not know where it was? If so, how did Feyd-Rautha find out? Was there a spy or something? That would be interesting to expand on, if so.
* The Fremen riding the sandworms into the final assault was super cool, and seemed to be effective. Why not use this approach in previous engagements?

Again, definitely may have missed some things, please let me know if there are answers here! In general I felt like Villeneuve was trying to do a bit too much and ended up cutting stuff that would have made the narrative work better. Idk, maybe cut out Lea Seydoux’s character and add in a scene where the Fremen have a conversation about their plan for the war? Overall really enjoyed the experience, just wish the story held together a little better.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Movie was very pretty but I came away disliking it.

The dialogue is loving awful to begin with and then is delivered with this unwavering soap-opera portentousness, much like the overbearing generic soundtrack. 'I would very much like to be equal to you' lol. '[closeup shot of Seydoux holding her tummy] The bloodline is secured' lmao

Feyd-Rautha is a one-movie throwaway villain with practically zero characterisation. Even his comparative cunning and competence gets short shrift, which causes pacing problems. He drives the Fremen out of the northern hemisphere in 5 minutes; so after Paul spends 90 minutes or whatever saying repeatedly that he will never, ever go south, he hops on a worm and runs south after one defeat. If he spent less time winning his guerrilla war and more time getting boxed out by Feyd-Rautha, it would make his change of heart more understandable. The fact that, judging by the progress of Jessica's pregnancy, the whole movie takes place in a few weeks makes this heel turn (and the conversion of the Fremen) seem even more abrupt.

Irulan should definitely have been in the first movie. Like Feyd-Rautha, Irulan, the emperor, and the Bene Gesserit are onscreen just long enough to let the audience know they exist and what their deal is, like a glossary entry. All of this — the crappy dialogue and the villains propped up just long enough to be knocked over — suck the air out of the climax, which happens to also be the ugliest and least imaginative scene in the film.

The ending, aside from the ugly duel scene, had its own pacing/editing problems. You switch from the gorgeous, spectacular, cathartic rout of the Sardaukar to a stiff stagey scene in the emperor's pavilion, then back to the battle after the emperor and Harkonnens are captured. So there are no stakes to it anymore, just a pretty thing to look at.

idk. whole thing left me cold

e: spoiler tags

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 3, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

* In the first attack on a harvester (when Paul and Chani take down the Ornithopter), what was the point of the ground assault at all? The battle ends with lasers easily destroying the harvester, why not just use those from the start? I understand there’s some complication with shields, but I thought they weren’t able to use shields in the desert?

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I think this part makes sense: the Ornithopters can and do use shields because they're flying and won't attract worms, so they have to be taken out before the Fremen can use the lasers.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Finally another brother agrees. This thread is full of Stilgars who are still high off spice but the cracks are beginning to show…

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Bright Bart posted:

Oh man, I am looking forward to seeing this when I feel better.

One issue I have with it is that the Yueh won't be in this one.

I have to admit that with so few Asian actors featured in these movies when they showed the non-drugged Atreides arena combatant to be Asian for a few seconds I thought it was Yueh. Then I remembered that we literally see the Baron decapitate him in Part 1.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bright Bart posted:

One issue I have with it is that the Yueh won't be in this one. He had my favourite side-plot when it came to the first one when it came to the tooth. The lines when he speaks to Leto are just masterclass. And the end result makes you want to throw a brick at the screen. Like C'MON! They could have at least taken the Baron out in exchange for Yueh and his wife and Leto and most all the Atreides.

This sub-plot also makes little sense to me. Yueh has dealt with the Baron before, at least in the stories. He knows he's petty, cruel, and obviouuussly a double-crosser. Why trust him at all? Is this better explained in the novel? I haven't read it in over a decade. Is the sheer horror of what would be being done to her just enough to make him grasp at straws, and give up everything for a probability of saving her approaching zero?
Yes, it is better explained in the novel

Yueh doesn't trust the Baron and doesn't do what he does to save his wife; he is well aware that she is already either dead or insane from Harkonnen tortures. He does it for two reasons: 1) Yueh has limited truth-sense training from his Bene Gesserit wife, so he knows that if he hears about his wife's fate from the Baron's own mouth, he will know the truth either way, and the thought that she is still suffering is driving him slowly insane. 2) he knows that if he delivers Duke Leto up the Baron himself will personally appear to taunt him, and that this is the only realistic way he has to put himself in position to strike at the Baron.

Yueh destroys the entire Atreides line just for a chance at revenge. When Suk conditioning breaks, it breaks hard.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

one more crit on the nitpicky side: just loving say 'jihad' you guys

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MeinPanzer posted:

I have to admit that with so few Asian actors featured in these movies when they showed the non-drugged Atreides arena combatant to be Asian for a few seconds I thought it was Yueh. Then I remembered that we literally see the Baron decapitate him in Part 1.

You're not alone. I guess classic goon face blindness mixed with a bit of implicit racial bias. Oh well, that guy was cool tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cassian of Imola posted:

one more crit on the nitpicky side: just loving say 'jihad' you guys

They did in the first movie, they're not avoiding it

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

They did in the first movie, they're not avoiding it

oh please

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*Chani, whispering romantically to Paul* Jihad me at hello

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Eason the Fifth posted:

If it weren't for the best thread title ever this would be a contender

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

All three Harkonnen deaths felt a bit too lame as well. Was the baron even aware who his killer was? Caveat: not a book reader.

In the book Alia is born and she kills the Baron with a gom jabbar and she lets everyone know her brother is coming and they all freak the gently caress out. As much as I liked Part 2, I think Lynch nailed the ending way better. Minus the rain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Y’all hate dialogue? How’s this for dialogue

Movie needed more weirding modules

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The Grey posted:

How many times did you laugh during it? The girl next to me giggled at nearly every scene and it ruined a lot of the drama.

a guy in my theater thought this was the comedy event of the year. it was a little funnier than the first one but c'mon now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*cartoon foot crushes worm*

“Monty Python and the Holy War!”

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Arglebargle III posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I think this part makes sense: the Ornithopters can and do use shields because they're flying and won't attract worms, so they have to be taken out before the Fremen can use the lasers.

Ah okay so the worry is they accidentally hit an ornithopter when they’re aiming at the harvester? I guess that makes sense, would still prefer there to be a tiny bit of explanation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah man I'm just guessing because dialogue is for philistines

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thank you! That is actually a reasonable explanation! A few in fact, which is nice because any one alone might seen like it wouldn't be enough to make sense.

And on a slightly different note: Paul sure does go from being a somewhat reticent heir to a duchy to wanting to be emperor of the known universe in record time. Then again he may well have also set a cinematic record for going from 'you will have my heart as long as I breathe' to 'hey, other woman, marry me please'.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I think I'm definitely coming down on the side of enjoying the first movie more, it just felt better paced and more tightly focused.

Part Two feels a lot more scattered both plotwise and tonally in comparison.

That said, I still really enjoyed it and I think it works really well as a middle entry in the trilogy. Hopefully they can tie things up nicely with the third entry.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Bright Bart posted:

Thank you! That is actually a reasonable explanation! A few in fact, which is nice because any one alone might seen like it wouldn't be enough to make sense.

And on a slightly different note: Paul sure does go from being a somewhat reticent heir to a duchy to wanting to be emperor of the known universe in record time. Then again he may well have also set a cinematic record for going from 'you will have my heart as long as I breathe' to 'hey, other woman, marry me please'.

he drank the freaking water of life dude!!! he got access to a thousand generations of ancestral memories and can see the future. it would be weird if he stayed in refuse the call mode.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

ram dass in hell posted:

he drank the freaking water of life dude!!! he got access to a thousand generations of ancestral memories and can see the future. it would be weird if he stayed in refuse the call mode.

True. But he first floats the idea in part one. After his own mother and allies kind of shudder at the thought of bringing the emperor's treachery to public notice as it would lead to unbridled warfare and chaos.

I'm presuming there's some solid history explaining why this would be worse than your own family dying out and the killers of your lover getting away with it. I'm imagining whole pyramids of those Sardaukar bloodletting pools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really liked how Jessica subtly used the voice for most of the movie. Like she wasn't constantly in deep, booming scary mode but her dialogue was sort of doubled whenever she was talking to any of the Fremen. Like she turned it on slightly in the background.