Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Between Perfect Days, Suzume, The Boy and the Heron, and Godzilla Minus One, Japan had a pretty incredible showing this year. The Boy and the Heron was great (as one would expect), but I ended up liking the other films so much that I think it might have been my least favorite of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
And Perfect Days was one of the most acclaimed movies of the year. Which isn't necessarily to say that it's better than Godzilla, just that going with Perfect Days made sense. And even then, it was a controversial pick because it was directed by Wenders.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I went to go see Perfect Days, and I loving loved it. It would've rounded out my top-five if I had seen it before the forum vote. Anyway, nearly through my Oscar season catch-up (the two I'm still planning to watch are Anatomy of a Fall and Robot Dreams), and here are my picks for the categories I have an opinion about :

Best Picture - Past Lives
haven't seen: American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall

International Feature Film - Perfect Days
haven't seen: Io Capitano, The Teachers’ Lounge

Animated Feature Film - The Boy and the Heron
haven't seen: Elemental, Nimona, Robot Dreams

Actress in a Leading Role - Lily Gladstone
haven't seen: Annette Bening, Sandra Hüller

Actor in a Leading Role - Paul Giamatti
haven't seen: Colman Domingo, Jeffrey Wright

Actress in a Supporting Role - Da’Vine Joy Randolph
haven't seen: Danielle Brooks, Jodie Foster

Actor in a Supporting Role - Ryan Gosling
haven't seen: Sterling K. Brown

Directing - Martin Scorsese
haven't seen: Justine Triet

Original Screenplay - Past Lives
haven't seen: Anatomy of a Fall

Adapted Screenplay - Barbie
haven't seen: American Fiction

Sound -The Zone of Interest
haven't seen: The Creator, Mission Impossible

Production Design - Barbie

Visual Effects - Godzilla Minus One
haven't seen: The Creator, Mission Impossible

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

VikingofRock posted:

Between Perfect Days, Suzume, The Boy and the Heron, and Godzilla Minus One, Japan had a pretty incredible showing this year. The Boy and the Heron was great (as one would expect), but I ended up liking the other films so much that I think it might have been my least favorite of the bunch.

Add Monster to your list. I enjoyed it just as much as Palme d'Or winner Shoplifters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Evil does not exist as well

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Where do you get Robot Dreams? It's the only animated I have not watched yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mamkute posted:

Where do you get Robot Dreams? It's the only animated I have not watched yet.
It's having a limited theatrical release in the US and it's also floating around the internet because it was released internationally a while ago.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/academy-voter-shares-oscar-votes-1235837796/

It begins.

Not as bad as they usually are though, I disagree with their KotFM runtime take and their attitude wrt what the shorts categories should be, but hey the bar is so low with these that at least they aren't being racist or are getting confused by movies made for young girls.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just appreciate it’s not just me having a hard time between Creator and Godzilla. The former is definitely flawed as a story, but the approach and quality of the visuals was immense and the world made up for it to me. Godzilla was just a great movie with visuals to match. A lot is made of the low budget but I need to dig out more than just ‘we had no money’. Both are great in that aspect and far above the usual shithouse work we see on screen.

Not sure dude in the article really got Anatomy if he thinks the focus is on the ending and trying to decide guilt.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not sure dude in the article really got Anatomy if he thinks the focus is on the ending and trying to decide guilt.

I remember that when I saw it in theaters there was a title card with something like #DidSheDoIt? that popped up before the movie, and that really feels like it was added for the true crime sorta crowd, so I'm content to blame the marketing for that. I guess it worked for them but agreed, definitely not the point of the movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just appreciate it’s not just me having a hard time between Creator and Godzilla. The former is definitely flawed as a story, but the approach and quality of the visuals was immense and the world made up for it to me. Godzilla was just a great movie with visuals to match. A lot is made of the low budget but I need to dig out more than just ‘we had no money’. Both are great in that aspect and far above the usual shithouse work we see on screen.

Godzilla is a much better movie but the campaign for The Creator has gone a good job of making its effects seem not only impressive but maybe even game changing.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Srice posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/academy-voter-shares-oscar-votes-1235837796/

It begins.

Not as bad as they usually are though, I disagree with their KotFM runtime take and their attitude wrt what the shorts categories should be, but hey the bar is so low with these that at least they aren't being racist or are getting confused by movies made for young girls.

At least they seemingly watched everything and I can definitely get behind a Zone of Interest push. The After was by far the worst of the live-action shorts though.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
There are two types of people: those who think The Zone of Interest should win Best Sound, and people who have not seen The Zone of Interest

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

There are two types of people: those who think The Zone of Interest should win Best Sound, and people who have not seen The Zone of Interest

even putting aside the ambient horror, that demon growl yarp sound has haunted me since I saw it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Johnnie Burn did the sound for Poor Things and Zone Of Interest back-to-back in the space of a few months, pretty drat good going imo

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the fact that zone of interest isn't going to win a single oscar this year just further solidifies the fact that the oscars are a fun idea to talk about but actually suck in reality and should not be taken seriously whatsoever

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

the fact that zone of interest isn't going to win a single oscar this year just further solidifies the fact that the oscars are a fun idea to talk about but actually suck in reality and should not be taken seriously whatsoever

It's going to win International Feature

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I managed to see pretty much every Oscar contender this year with the exception of Holdovers and while I really liked a bunch of them, nothing felt as innovative or affecting as Zone of Interest. Just profoundly unsettling and truly groundbreaking.

It’s ironic that it will barely garner recognition from the Oscars despite being the most important movie to come out in decades about the Holocaust, which has of course traditionally been a core category of Oscar bait filmmaking.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
And maybe Best Sound. But non-English films have always been stuck in their own pigeonhole, because Oscar voters hate the idea of reading subtitles just as much as any other American. Parasite managed to break through because the Oscars are not immune to populism, but I doubt it actually opened the way for more recognition.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I managed to see pretty much every Oscar contender this year with the exception of Holdovers and while I really liked a bunch of them, nothing felt as innovative or affecting as Zone of Interest. Just profoundly unsettling and truly groundbreaking.

It’s ironic that it will barely garner recognition from the Oscars despite being the most important movie to come out in decades about the Holocaust, which has of course traditionally been a core category of Oscar bait filmmaking.

It was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director even though it's basically an art film entirely in German. All things considered, that's pretty good, especially since it's losing to an acclaimed film from a director a lot of people think is overdue that made over a billion dollars.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ShoogaSlim posted:

That's always been the case? Like remember when the King's Speech swept lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wolfsheim posted:

That's always been the case? Like remember when the King's Speech swept lol

That sweep got Tom Hooper the Les Miserables job. :argh:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"It's an honor to be nominated" is more than just a coping mechanism. The Oscars have a way better track record of nominating great movies than it does with giving them awards.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

That sweep got Tom Hooper the Les Miserables job. :argh:

Which led to cats. So it was worth jt

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just watched Poor Things and if Emma Stone doesn't get a Oscar it will be a loving travesty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

live with fruit posted:

"It's an honor to be nominated" is more than just a coping mechanism. The Oscars have a way better track record of nominating great movies than it does with giving them awards.

And hell, having "Academy Award Nominated" before your name probably opens just as many doors as "Academy Award Winner"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And hell, having "Academy Award Nominated" before your name probably opens just as many doors as "Academy Award Winner"

Especially with how many career recognition Oscars they hand out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I probably only saw Zone of Interest in theaters because it was nominated for best picture. So noms help small movies get scene at least.

It's not my favorite of the year, but glad I got to see it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hollismason posted:

Just watched Poor Things and if Emma Stone doesn't get a Oscar it will be a loving travesty.

It’s amazing how good a year Sandra Hüller has had, but man Emma was that whole loving movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Academy is 100% giving it to Gladstone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

emma stone literally went from infant to sex worker to scholar/doctor in a single role

sandra huller was in two highly acclaimed movies (i didnt see anatomy)

but lily gladstone will get the award for being indigenous and that's it. she was good in the movie but she was given so little to do its ridiculous, and it's not the best acting by a female of last year but here we are

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

emma stone literally went from infant to sex worker to scholar/doctor in a single role

but lily gladstone will get the award for being indigenous and that's it. she was good in the movie but she was given so little to do its ridiculous, and it's not the best acting by a female of last year but here we are

She's in the wrong category.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

yeah and she should win anyway. countless miscategorized, overrated performances by white actors have won at the oscars. it’s about time indigenous actors get the same benefit. this poo poo ain’t a meritocracy

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I like all three of those performances a lot and will be honestly happy if any of them win, especially after revisiting Anatomy of a Fall yesterday, but Gladstone is absolutely my pick out of the three of them and not just because she's indigenous. She gives a great performance for a quiet but internally very conflicted role, her last scene at the end of Killers of the Flower Moon is probably the most powerful scene to me of any of those three films. Maybe I'm biased though, I have been waiting for her to get broader recognition and larger roles ever since she was the standout in Certain Women.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Hueller should win for Zone of Interest. She's so casually evil - the scene when she tries on the fur coat jumps to mind - but she's not nominated for that performance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure a lot of voters will have her other role in mind as well when considering her for Anatomy, though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

live with fruit posted:

She's in the wrong category.

agreed

Vegetable posted:

countless miscategorized, overrated performances by white actors have won at the oscars.

agreed

Vegetable posted:

yeah and she should win anyway.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Göransson has the score in the bag but both Poor Things and Killers of the Flower Moon have phenomenal music

Pretty strong competition in most categories imo

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

fatherboxx posted:

2023 was a pretty rad year for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Göransson has the score in the bag but both Poor Things and Killers of the Flower Moon have phenomenal music

The big question should be whether or not Göransson thanks Johnny Greenwood in his speech.