Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is the Subaru Solterra a total piece of poo poo because I need a new car and they’ve got a good offer out for it.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Wait hardware stores sell food???

Which you should absolutely buy from ace because they hire people that have gotten out of prison for nonviolent bullshit and are just trying to get their lives back together.

I’m fine with getting reamed on whirly bird if it means someone gets a chance at gainful employment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

I’m fine with getting reamed on whirly bird if it means someone gets a chance at gainful employment.

I'd rather work at Panera if this is the only job available at Ace.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Today I saw a Dodge Stratus with the license plate STRATUS

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Coco13 posted:

Today I saw a Dodge Stratus with the license plate STRATUS

Ahh dude you should have told me you’re in Asheville.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

Is the Subaru Solterra a total piece of poo poo because I need a new car and they’ve got a good offer out for it.

Which you should absolutely buy from ace because they hire people that have gotten out of prison for nonviolent bullshit and are just trying to get their lives back together.

2023 or 2024, it appears they made some upgrades between years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

2023 or 2024, it appears they made some upgrades between years.

Newest.

399/down, 399/month

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My butt was delicious

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

What about Nancy Pelosi or Obama?

I actually got a Bill Clinton one the other day and it made me lol

Also yeah our ACE has a fuckin great BBQ section with tons of different hardwood chips/chunks, charcoal, pellets, a selection of BBQ sauces and rubs far greater than any of the grocery stores, not mention the gazillion dollar Green Eggs and other smokers.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Joey Freshwater posted:

My butt was delicious

Yummy butt stuff

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Newest.

399/down, 399/month

Sent you a PM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm sorry for popping off yesterday, thread. I meant what I said but I should have been a hell of a lot more diplomatic.

Today I worked on restoring an old hand plane, watched some youtubes, and I'm making meatloaf. It's cold and rainy out and we're hunkering down. It rules.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Its Rinaldo posted:

Brother you haven't lived until you've gotten a hot dog or a polish at Home Depot

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've survived the wedding in the Tahoe blizzard and only 2 cars got totaled in the process.

So far

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've never bought BBQ sauce or rubs at Home Depot, but for my money the best cheesesteaks in Philly come from this chain of sandwich stands that are attached to Home Depots throughout the city.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sorry for popping off yesterday, thread. I meant what I said but I should have been a hell of a lot more diplomatic.

I think we all get a little heated because we care. That’s a good sign, I think.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I gotta remember that the cocktails at most fancy places are meh. Food was great at leaat!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

swickles posted:

Sent you a PM

If you’ve got thoughts on the Subaru solterra, please share them itt.

The reviews seem scattershot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I gotta remember that the cocktails at most fancy places are meh. Food was great at leaat!

Thats why you gotta order basic cocktails off menu, if the bartender cant make a decent manhattan they arent gonna be making a decent anything else

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Tulalip Tulips posted:

In opposition to this, I went to a waterfront fancy seafood place and had japanese whisky old fashioned and it was good and heavy pours

Also, keylime cheese cake was fuckin fire

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 3, 2024

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

fwiw I just took out a lease on an Ioniq 5 and it seems pretty sweet.

Though we don't have the charger installed yet, so I actually haven't driven it much.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I just sent him a few screenshots from Consumer Reports:

If you have any specific questions, or want to see more let me know! The biggest knocks on it are short range (about 50 miles less than others in its class) and long charging time. However, it ranks as best in class for the driving experience and handles a lot better than other EV's.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I bought a model Y from inventory and with all the tax credits paid around 40k for a long range with a third row. It’s a pretty fun car.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Its Rinaldo posted:

The Ace Hardware in our town is the only place I've seen selling Darrell Lea licorice. I'm trying to get better about going there first, especially when I just need one thing. About 90% of the time the staff are attentive enough to ask what you're looking for when you walk in the front door and at least point you down the correct aisle. Last week when I said I was looking for connectors for network wiring the old guy working there said, "I can show you where all that stuff is, but I can't help if you have any questions about any of it", which I assured him was just fine.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah I like Dune. Dune your mom lol

Goddamnit, this gets be giggling like an idiot every time.

Car Chat: Got my new car delivered today and going from a sedan to a midsize SUV is weird. Digging the gas mileage on a hybrid though!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Man that’s disappointing to see on the Solterra. No glove box? What the actual gently caress.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Shrimpy posted:

fwiw I just took out a lease on an Ioniq 5 and it seems pretty sweet.

Though we don't have the charger installed yet, so I actually haven't driven it much.

We looked at cars yesterday and if I had 60k to drop on a car I would have gone home with an Ioniq 5. It was a cool rear end car.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Went to look at cars yesterday with Braks. I have a 2006 Tacoma with 285,000 miles, and I’m just curious as to what’s out there. Liked the Honda Accord and CR-V hybrids, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 (although Braks really liked that one with all the cameras), the Toyota Rav 4 and the Lexus ES350.

The most disappointing was the Ford Mach-E, that thing was much smaller than I thought. I am intrigued by the 2025 Camry when it comes out along with the Toyota Crown Signia.

Just a ton of choices for someone who hasn’t shopped a vehicle for himself in 18 years.

Edit: See above :D

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I really need to replace my '02 Highlander sooner than later, especially since I noticed some electrical issues are starting to pop up. It's not quite at 190k miles (305623k according to its :canada: odometer) but I have driven it all over the US.

Was supposed to be out at Timber, OR this morning but the rain turned to snow as soon as I passed the 500' elevation mark. While my Highlander is AWD I'm not in the mood to risk my life on some unplowed mountain roads.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dune ruled however where's the babbbys

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Braksgirl posted:

We looked at cars yesterday and if I had 60k to drop on a car I would have gone home with an Ioniq 5. It was a cool rear end car.

I don’t know if it’s a California specific thing, but they had some crazy incentives running on leases where we wound up with ~16k off.

The dealers and a few others were telling us that a lot of folks had been taking out the lease, getting the buy-out price for a Limited AWD at ~44k and then just buying it out early in the contract.

I’m sure there’s some weird gotcha that I’m unaware of, but it definitely helped get past the sticker shock.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If I was gonna go electric I’d probably move a few things and pickup a Taycan simply because Porsche did amazing R+D on their battery tech and between them and Toyota, are the industry leaders imo, but nothing Toyota makes excited me. The new Prius is close - they’ve made it a gorgeous car - I just don’t love the limited range.

The new Kias EVs are actually attractive too

The f150 hybrid is probably as close as I’ll get to EV

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 3, 2024

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Automakers completely lost the plot on EVs. They were supposed to be compact / standard cars to remove our usage of gas, but instead they're super premium cars with sub 3 second 0-60s that gently caress up the tires. Now they're getting bigger and bigger and we have a fuckin EV hummer that's as bad for the environment than a normal hummer.

Anyway, it's my birthday today, I get to spend it picking up my wife from a European trip I should have been on that work canceled :smith:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The Ace Hardware in our town is the only place I've seen selling Darrell Lea licorice. I'm trying to get better about going there first, especially when I just need one thing. About 90% of the time the staff are attentive enough to ask what you're looking for when you walk in the front door and at least point you down the correct aisle. Last week when I said I was looking for connectors for network wiring the old guy working there said, "I can show you where all that stuff is, but I can't help if you have any questions about any of it", which I assured him was just fine.

Speaking of food in hardware stores, rip to the free popcorn at Ace post pandemic. It was probably always a terrible idea health wise but it was nice for my fat rear end bribing the kids while I got some errands done

Amy Pole Her posted:

If I was gonna go electric I’d probably move a few things and pickup a Taycan simply because Porsche did amazing R+D on their battery tech and between them and Toyota, are the industry leaders imo, but nothing Toyota makes excited me. The new Prius is close - they’ve made it a gorgeous car - I just don’t love the limited range.

The new Kias EVs are actually attractive too

The f150 hybrid is probably as close as I’ll get to EV

We have a Chevy Bolt from a few years ago. Other than the range that tops out around 200 miles under unreasonably perfect conditions I have zero complaints, it’s a great little car for normal use and day trips. We have an old Hyundai SUV we use for longer road trips. We also got like 33% off from various government incentives that don’t exist anymore so that helped :911:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 3, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

Automakers completely lost the plot on EVs. They were supposed to be compact / standard cars to remove our usage of gas, but instead they're super premium cars with sub 3 second 0-60s that gently caress up the tires. Now they're getting bigger and bigger and we have a fuckin EV hummer that's as bad for the environment than a normal hummer.

Anyway, it's my birthday today, I get to spend it picking up my wife from a European trip I should have been on that work canceled :smith:

Happy birthday sounds like you gonna sex tonight!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cars are still v expensive and it sucks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Speaking of food in hardware stores, rip to the free popcorn at Ace post pandemic. It was probably always a terrible idea health wise but it was nice for my fat rear end bribing the kids while I got some errands done

We have a Chevy Bolt from a few years ago. Other than the range that tops out around 200 miles under unreasonably perfect conditions I have zero complaints, it’s a great little car for normal use and day trips. We have an old Hyundai SUV we use for longer road trips. We also got like 33% off from various government incentives that don’t exist anymore so that helped :911:

I loved the Volt, and my old company gave out Bolts as company cars. I was eventually given a Leaf that I kinda liked at first but it turned out to be just such a wet turd of a car outside of being EV.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I have a Volt and I will be sad when it dies. All of the rebates drop the price into the non-EV price range, probably makes it equivalent to buying a Camry or something. The problem with Teslas, outside of being made like a 90's Kia and giving Elon Musk money, is that they are super heavy. If you have one somewhere with coal fired power it might be worse than just using gas. Also a lot of SUVs/Vans have a gimmick battery that gets like 20 miles.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 3, 2024

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

I have a Volt and I will be sad when it dies. All of the rebates drop the price into the non-EV price range, probably makes it equivalent to buying a Camry or something. The problem with Tesla's, outside of being made like a 90's Kia and giving Elon Musk money, is that they are super heavy. If you have one somewhere with coal fired power it might be worse than just using gas. Also a lot of SUVs/Vans have a gimmick battery that gets like 20 miles.

There’s actually a ton of work being done to retrofit coal plants to scrub their emissions. It’s still not where we want to be long term, but the impact can be severely minimized. The talking point that having an electric car is worse for the environment if you use coal power is an oil and gas industry rumor designed to slow the adoption of EVs and isn’t grounded in reality.

E: or convert them to natural gas peaker plants I guess. Depends on what your renewable base load capacity is.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not what you guys are doing, but I swear every time I mention the Bolt to someone they’re like “oh yeah the Volt I’ve heard those are good”. Somehow a car that was discontinued 5 years ago still has more marketing mindshare lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah that 7000lb cruise missile EV hummer is like the funniest poo poo and the most American thing I can imagine.

It’s the EV equivalent of coal rollin.