Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Silver2195 posted:

I've also been reading some Case Closed (Detective Conan). The whole concept is very strange tonally, isn't it? You have these serious murder mysteries combined with these Saturday-morning-cartoon elements like the inventor neighbor and the chibified protagonist. (Also funny how no one seems to think it odd for a 7-year-old boy to be so comfortable around dead bodies.)

I suspect it will get stale eventually (it's a 1000+-chapter series, after all, and it has a reputation for becoming more formulaic over time), but for now I'm enjoying the twisty mysteries.
I'm over a hundred chapters in (just finished the one about the triplets), and so far I've seen maybe one mystery that doesn't involve a grisly murder. And it still has a small child stumbling on a severed head.

(It turns out to be a stage prop)

I'm enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There are several early on that don’t involve grisly murders, although in some cases that’s only because the bad guy gets stopped before he gets the chance.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Marriagetoxin: New character is extremely based. :allears: Here's hoping it leads to Gero realizing how much Kinosaki means to him.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

this "you can read these chapters once ever and then there's no way to ever read them again" system on mangaplus is really brilliant. It's great stuff. Noone could ever accidentally press away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UnderFreddy posted:

this "you can read these chapters once ever and then there's no way to ever read them again" system on mangaplus is really brilliant. It's great stuff. Noone could ever accidentally press away.

Every system that isn't the Viz/SJ system sucks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

I mean, it sucks that you can accidentally click out of a chapter, but there is the option to get whatever subscription lets you read whatever you’re binging.

Also in unrelated news, reading Inuyasha, and umm, am I just remembering the anime wrong (entirely possible since it’s been like fifteen years since all of those Adult Swim reruns) or did Inuyasha never have a cute little doggie nose in the anime like he does in the manga?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

I'm not sure if it still works, but back when they didn't have the subscriptions, if you'd close the app accidentally it'd let you reload that same chapter to not lose it. You could also just... delete your app data and it'd give you all the free chaps back to re-read. I'd expect that loophole to have been cleared now that they have subscriptions though.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, it sucks that you can accidentally click out of a chapter, but there is the option to get whatever subscription lets you read whatever you’re binging.

there doesn't seem to be for the limited free chapters at least. You can pay for standard jump chapters, or you can pay deluxe for the completed series. The newly ported series from Young Jump seem to be one and done.

edit: it seems that they're readable now? Just took like a day from subscribing until it happened.

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 3, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If I pay the full subscription for Manga Plus can I just read whatever I want as many times as I want? I want to make the switch from SJ because of the larger library.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If I pay the full subscription for Manga Plus can I just read whatever I want as many times as I want? I want to make the switch from SJ because of the larger library.

Yes, but it costs more if you want access to series that aren't currently serialising:

(Based on what they say anyway, I don't have a subscription.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Those bullet points are raising more questions than they answer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What is on Mangaplus that isn't on SJ/Viz?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Dandadan, and Marriagetoxin (there's only 6 chapters on SJ) are the ones I know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dandadan, and Marriagetoxin (there's only 6 chapters on SJ) are the ones I know.

Dandadan is on SJ, you just can't read it on the app because it's 18+ so you have to go through the website. Is MP different?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

MarriageToxin, You and I Are Polar Opposites, Skeleton Double off the top of my head.

Technically Dandadan since I can read that on the Mangaplus app and not the SJ app.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mikane and the Seawoman isn't on SJ either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Dandadan is on SJ, you just can't read it on the app because it's 18+ so you have to go through the website. Is MP different?

Oh, I'll be honest I was only thinking about the app. You can read it directly on the app with MP.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How about that rice cooking manga. I didn’t expect a recipe at the end.

Demon exhange feels like it’s heading to its conclusion. This battle however felt oddly stakeless? It’s treated like a joke and the previous hero had no expression when he attacks.
Still looking forward to how this will go.

Shojo null is infinitely hilarious with its acahm (all cops are horrible monsters) approach to things.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Darth TNT posted:

This seems fun if nothing else but gives me an excuse to not have to belabour dinner decisions, though, is this done by the Akebi-chan author's assistant or something? It's basically identical down to the spreads of what feels like an artist's pose sketch exercises.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Fine. I'll dust off my rice cooker. I love a series that gives me the recipes.

Demon Exchange: I don't think we're heading into the conclusion because there's the whole human kingdom conspiracy to deal with. But we're going somewhere that's for sure.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Shojo null is infinitely hilarious with its acahm (all cops are horrible monsters) approach to things.

I am absolutely here for "Nihilistic Double-Monster-Cops getting their deserved reward from Robo-Lucy-From-Elfin-Lied."

It was shaky for its first volume but with the focus on the Monster-Cops and has righted the ship quite nicely.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 2, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
none of the details really make much sense but the vibes are spot on

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah same. I’m not reading Shojo null for the story, I really don’t give a crap. But the cops are hilarious, like the guy who made got remade into a car.
And I do like some of the Marie and the human lead interactions, they’re cute.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, it works a lot better as dark comedy than as Serious Science Fiction.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Astro Baby just keeps getting better too. I wonder what the story can turn into though.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Astro Baby is absolutely in whatever genre later Jojo tends to be.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

Fine. I'll dust off my rice cooker. I love a series that gives me the recipes.

Demon Exchange: I don't think we're heading into the conclusion because there's the whole human kingdom conspiracy to deal with. But we're going somewhere that's for sure.

Yeah, feels like a status change is coming one way or the other

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, it works a lot better as dark comedy than as Serious Science Fiction.

With the occasional moment of "Yes, the world is monstrous but we are better than submitting to that and becoming monsters ourselves." based pathos.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 3, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

In terms of the app, Mangaplus let's you read the following which are not on SJ/Viz app
  • Marriage Toxin
  • Dandadan
  • Tokyo Underworld
  • Girl meets Rock
  • The God Before Me
  • At Summer's End
  • Navigatoria
  • Magical Girl Tsubame
  • Rugby Rumble
  • Tsuruko Returns the Favor
  • Daddy and Buddy
  • History's Mentalist
  • Demon Lord Exchange
  • Sachi's Records
  • The Pension Life Vampire
  • Shibatarian
  • Jinrui-Shoku
  • The Game Devil
  • Dark Doctor Ikuru
  • Skeleton Double
  • Hokkaido Gals
  • Tis Time for Torture Princess
  • Oshi No Ko
  • Heart Gear (all chapters)
  • Magilumiere
  • Stage S
  • Ron Kamonohashi
  • Make the Exorcist Fall in Love
  • Even if you Slit my Mouth
  • You and I are Polar Opposites
  • Romantic Killer
  • Blooming Love
  • Kindergarten Wars
  • Red Cat Ramen
  • Mikane and the Sea Woman
  • Witch Enforcer
  • 2.5 Dimensional Seduction
  • The World of SKK Girls
  • Thermae Romae Redux
  • Catenaccio
  • The Days of Diamond
  • Set it and Forget it

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Flair posted:

In terms of the app, Mangaplus let's you read the following which are not on SJ/Viz app
  • Marriage Toxin
  • Dandadan
  • Tokyo Underworld
  • Girl meets Rock
  • The God Before Me
  • At Summer's End
  • Navigatoria
  • Magical Girl Tsubame
  • Rugby Rumble
  • Tsuruko Returns the Favor
  • Daddy and Buddy
  • History's Mentalist
  • Demon Lord Exchange
  • Sachi's Records
  • The Pension Life Vampire
  • Shibatarian
  • Jinrui-Shoku
  • The Game Devil
  • Dark Doctor Ikuru
  • Skeleton Double
  • Hokkaido Gals
  • Tis Time for Torture Princess
  • Oshi No Ko
  • Heart Gear (all chapters)
  • Magilumiere
  • Stage S
  • Ron Kamonohashi
  • Make the Exorcist Fall in Love
  • Even if you Slit my Mouth
  • You and I are Polar Opposites
  • Romantic Killer
  • Blooming Love
  • Kindergarten Wars
  • Red Cat Ramen
  • Mikane and the Sea Woman
  • Witch Enforcer
  • 2.5 Dimensional Seduction
  • The World of SKK Girls
  • Thermae Romae Redux
  • Catenaccio
  • The Days of Diamond
  • Set it and Forget it

Seeing that list just hammers home how bonkers good some of those are.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ruridragon is back! didn't miss a beat! hooray, for this!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are you able to download chapters on mangaplus? Didn't see the option. Was a positive of the SJ app, although not as important anymore for me since I no longer have limited phone data.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kidcoelacanth posted:

ruridragon is back! didn't miss a beat! hooray, for this!

Here's a link for the chat

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013623

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dear Anemone got boring real fast. The inhuman plant lady quickly developed some sort of conscience, which I find takes the tension out of the hostage situation she put the others in. It's hard not to compare this to Fabricant 100, which stuck to its guns by having its own monster-lady stick to having an inhuman logic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MamaYuyu is dead isn't it? Unless they're moving toward expanding the story this has finale all over it. Also I can't believe that Roboco and Gorilla are dead for real.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

muscles like this! posted:

MamaYuyu is dead isn't it? Unless they're moving toward expanding the story this has finale all over it. Also I can't believe that Roboco and Gorilla are dead for real.

Given how bad the recent volume sales for it were, almost definitely.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

akane… you’re too lost in the sauce… pull up

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are you able to download chapters on mangaplus? Didn't see the option. Was a positive of the SJ app, although not as important anymore for me since I no longer have limited phone data.

Unfortunately, no

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

On the bright side, the roboco alternate universe arc told us that Gorilla being dead is a universal constant. The world is saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

show-ha shoten hitting hard with the enrique jokes