Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Not the first time, but the first time in a long time - The Village! People shat on this movie after it's release, but they were fools and charlatans. A solid thriller with a stacked cast and same gold performances. What's not to like?

It’s an incredibly well made movie with fantastic performances from a loaded cast. Haters are dumb babbies who think saying m. Nights name wrong is poignant film criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Poor Things - Been a while since I enjoyed a movie like this. Just sucked me right in from start to finish.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Archer666 posted:

Poor Things - Been a while since I enjoyed a movie like this. Just sucked me right in from start to finish.
And speaking of Lanthimos, my wife and I watch The Lobster last night. I enjoyed it enough, but I don't really have any idea what it was trying to convey, if anything. It was humorous enough without ever making us laugh. Neither of us like any kind of animal harm in movies. Unfortunately this one starts with a donkey getting shot and gets worse. We also found the ending pretty unsatisfying. It was just a weird story that happens and then ends.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the middle of M*A*S*H (1970) and so far I'm thinking a number of things

- Donald Sutherland is like some kind of alchemical admixture of Christopher Lloyd and Jeffrey Tambor

- Young Tom Skerritt without his moustache gives off strange Peter Lorre vibes

- Altman sure does like this style of "have everybody talk over each other, that's the actual joke, it's serious verite filmmaking you see" i.e. with Radar always anticipating what he's being asked to do, can't imagine how I would be able to comprehend a single one of his lines without subtitles

- OK so the scene in Real Genius in which Kent records Mitch's tearful call home to his parents and broadcasts it later to the whole cafeteria, that's a reference to this scene where Frank and the female Major's sex scene gets broadcast over the PA, isn't it :aaaaa:

- In general the whole film seems to be focused on the idea of women in the military and a) how ca-rraaaaazy an idea it is, and b) why the gently caress would you think it's ca-raaazy, in weirdly equal measure

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The directors influenced by Altman are far superior to Altman himself. I cannot say I've ever come away from a film of his impressed; too clever for their lack of skill.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hated MASH when I watched it, nearly every joke is insanely mean-spirited to a degree that makes it completely unenjoyable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh loving lmao at this Last Supper bit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god, this "therapeutic value" for the "latent homosexuality" dentist guy business, this is what Police Academy was riffing on with the blowjob scene

e: and I guess Revenge of the Nerds and Porky's are referencing this shower-reveal scene :wtf:

I think I was better off not knowing any of this

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2024

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

You're not there yet, but I think the last major segment of the film is the only one that holds up well in any way, and even that has a really :yikes: element regarding a particular character's nickname.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah the whole last half-hour being a football farce was not what I saw coming.

Nor was that whole ... thing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Watched Spaceman with Adam Sandler

Was fine but way too long and had a hard time paying attention

Moon covered this sort of story in a much more concise and satisfying way

But Sandler did a good job with what he was presented with

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 4, 2024

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Speaking of things similar movies have already done: Voyagers (2021) - A generation ship that is doomed to failure from its inception and also has a creepy rapey theme to it. Surely a crew of exclusively young adults with no social experience can handle 86 years alone on a ship. I was really disappointed that there wasn't a twist ending where they're all still on earth in a test simulation. Also lol that the "happy" ending is them discovering democracy. Yeah, not voting was the problem they were having....

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It’s an incredibly well made movie with fantastic performances from a loaded cast. Haters are dumb babbies who think saying m. Nights name wrong is poignant film criticism.

I figured out the twist early because at the time it was all about figuring out what M. Night’s twist was going to be. Could have been a lot better if that was established way earlier

At least it was way better than Lady in the Water

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

I loved The Village when it came out and was surprised to see so much hate for it back then, then had an awful time with Lady in the Water and started wondering if the haters were right. Not sure if I should ever go back and rewatch The Village (and The Signs and Unbreakable which I also loved) lest I lose the fond memories I have of them

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I only finally got around to The Village like a year ago or so. It was… fine. Adrien Brody’s character aged even more poorly than his SNL rasta bit. Couldn’t stop thinking about Tropic Thunder the whole time.

Drive Away Dolls — This ended up being much wackier and more light-hearted than I expected. A pure Coen plot but without the edge most of their movies have, and I don’t mean that as a bad thing. It’s very successful in what it’s trying to do. There are still pops of violence, but they’re pretty PG-13. (Even the decapitated head gets only a few seconds of screen time.)

The two leads were really great and I can’t wait to see more of what they get up to. Somehow I’ve missed everything Geraldine Viswanathan has even been in, but she was spectacular. Qualley was great too and really carried the film through endless charisma, essentially doing an homage to Clooney in O Brother.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I honestly think The Village works better if you just know the stupid twist going into it.

The Adrien Brody character is still a big ol’ yikes though. :yikes:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Favourite The setup and plot were great, as was the dialogue like you'd expect for a Lanthimos. I liked the cinematography (the lighting!) too except the stupid fisheye, was bad in Poor Things and bad here.

The Devils doesn't have many nice things to say about the catholic church

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Dune part 2

TFW your mother and unborn baby sister gaslight an army of religious fundamentalists into waging a galaxywide genocidal campaign in your name.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Monolith - interesting independent single location horror/sf movie. Did a decent job of world building and Lily Sullivan was convincingly committed to the role of a former respectable journalist turned UFO podcaster who becomes increasingly embroiled in her material. Competent and absorbing without big surprises.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Ex Drummer - Movie about vile losers getting together to form a punk band so they can enter a competition. Definitely one of the darkest, most nihilistic movies I've seen in a while. Every character is some kind of terrible human being, ranging from negligent junkie to neo-nazi mysogist, and they all do terrible poo poo to each other. The soundtrack is loving awesome, though. It was a good watch and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fear City(1984)- An ok movie. Very light on the talking. Very seedy. I enjoyed it.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah the whole last half-hour being a football farce was not what I saw coming.

Nor was that whole ... thing

This page has been therapeutic to read. I was surprised at how much I disliked M*A*S*H.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Fear City(1984)- An ok movie. Very light on the talking. Very seedy. I enjoyed it.

I adore it. There's not enough out there that hits those same notes as well. I ended up watching a lot of Miami Vice after I saw it the first time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

big boi posted:

This page has been therapeutic to read. I was surprised at how much I disliked M*A*S*H.

I think the only thing I really enjoyed and thought was a fun novel idea was the credits being read out by the PA guy at the end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I respect MASH more than I like it but I think the cruelty and nastiness and despair are what the movie is about. Ebert at least agreed:

Roger Ebert posted:

There is something about war that inspires practical jokes and the heroes ... are inspired and utterly heartless ... We laugh, not because "M*A*S*H" is Sgt. Bilko for adults, but because it is so true to the unadmitted sadist in all of us. There is perhaps nothing so exquisite as achieving ... sweet mental revenge against someone we hate with particular dedication. And it is the flat-out, poker-faced hatred in "M*A*S*H" that makes it work. Most comedies want us to laugh at things that aren't really funny; in this one we laugh precisely because they're not funny. We laugh, that we may not cry ... We can take the unusually high gore-level in "M*A*S*H" because it is originally part of the movie's logic. If the surgeons didn't have to face the daily list of maimed and mutilated bodies, none of the rest of their lives would make any sense ... But none of this philosophy comes close to the insane logic of "M*A*S*H," which is achieved through a peculiar marriage of cinematography, acting, directing, and writing. The movie depends upon timing and tone to be funny ... One of the reasons "M*A*S*H" is so funny is that it's so desperate.

And the wiki includes this (negative) comment I hadn't read before that I think is also part of what I like about it

Roger Greenspun posted:

To my knowledge [it] is the first major American movie openly to ridicule belief in God – not phony belief; real belief. It is also one of the few (though by no means the first) American screen comedies openly to admit the cruelty of its humor. And it is at pains to blend that humor with more operating room gore than I have ever seen in any movie from any place ... Although it is impudent, bold, and often very funny, it lacks the sense of order (even in the midst of disorder) that seems the special province of successful comedy.

MASH is not really a comedy. It's a mean, cynical film that effectively satirizes the more sentimental later TV show and the entire idea that humor can help you cope with trauma and atrocity

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
someone decided to put the movie MASH on with a room full of people tripping their balls off

pink flamingos wasnt any better

not cool

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DeimosRising posted:

I respect MASH more than I like it but I think the cruelty and nastiness and despair are what the movie is about. Ebert at least agreed:

And the wiki includes this (negative) comment I hadn't read before that I think is also part of what I like about it

MASH is not really a comedy. It's a mean, cynical film that effectively satirizes the more sentimental later TV show and the entire idea that humor can help you cope with trauma and atrocity

It's also important to remember that MASH came out the year after the first Vietnam draft, and when anti-war sentiment was really raging. Everyone was very aware that this was a big stupid idiot war being fought for no reason, and every night they piped the massacre and bloodshed straight into every living room in America, and intergenerational fights were happening over every dining table between teenagers who were desperate not to be sent into a senseless furnace of violence and parents who grew up huffing the farts of WW2, mythologizing and sanitizing their own experiences.

If you've never seen the televised lottery it's an insane farce, a bunch of drooling old cronies playing bingo with the lives of a generation and acting like being shipped overseas is the Greatest And Most Noble Thing You Could Do.

Everything that happens in MASH is an angry, bitter, and hostile condemnation, and that includes the ongoing harassment of Hot Lips.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Had a nice two movie night

Night of The Comet (1984)
7/10
Two valley girls end up in the post apocalypse after a comet vaporizes nearly all life on earth. People who weren't turned into dust get sick with a disease that makes them look like zombies, and degrade into violence and insanity.

It's a really fun movie with two girls who just wanna fun. The movie has this nice free-flowing feeling. The main characters are on a crazy adventure that takes them to a bunch of different places and scenarios with the crazies that are left on earth. I might have been a little bored sometimes but I always felt like I had to keep watching to see what happened next.

Music was good too, there was a scene where i had to pause the movie and find out what this song was because it was so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uydTjbn3lk0

Other movie I watched was
Queenpins (2021).
A strong 6/10

A perfectly enjoyable little comedy. Kristen Bell is funny and extremely likeable as always. I don't have much more to say about it because the whole thing was pretty breezy. I really wish more people liked The Woman in The House Across The Street From The Girl In The Window. That show is definitely one of my favorites of the last few years, and has Kristen Bell being extremely funny and stupid.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 7, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
No One Will Save You (2023): This movie is interesting. I think it strikes a particular chord with me because I live alone and sometimes feel isolated, a lot like the main character. It's not for the same reason as her (which I won't go into because that spoils a lot of the driving force behind the movie). I just ended up living abroad in a lot in places where I didn't know the language all that well before finally settling down where I want to live only for COVID and work stress to complicate meeting new people and making new friends. Suffice to say, I really identified with Brynn's feelings of loneliness and isolation from the people around her.

I have a lot of thoughts buzzing in my head about this movie, and I think the overall lack of dialog is a big reason why. This is a movie that takes "Show, don't tell" quite literally, and it makes for a fantastic viewing experience. What you see is what you get, and you don't have anyone providing exposition. As a result, it made me think a lot about the driving motivations behind Brynn, the townsfolk, and the aliens.

I believe the overarching theme behind the movie is self-imposed isolation through past regret. Despite the trailers pitching it as Signs meets Home Alone, it's more a movie about the protagonist struggling to overcome her anxiety and alien pursuers. She lives alone in her late mother's house with most of her clothes, music, and aesthetics coming straight out of the 1950s (her flatscreen TV and SUV being the hilariously large exceptions). She struggles to interact with people in her hometown when reaching out for help, making the title ring even truer. Her encounters with the aliens make her relive painful moments from her past, providing context to why Brynn is the way she is.

The actor who plays Brynn, Kaitlyn Dever, delivers a tremendous performance. She conveys everything about the character through facial expressions and movement, only mouthing a few words scattered throughout the scene. The film relies on her to carry everything in the film. She doesn't have many people to play off of, having her reactions come from how she goes about her solitary routine, coming across the results of alien encounters, and her CGI pursuers.

Another thing I like about the film is the care that goes into the alien design. Yeah, they are derivative of the traditional "gray" aliens. There are a few variants based on size and height. However, they also look realistic and their faces are unique enough that you can spot differences. They also have the ability to emote, and are driven by individual motivations that result from Brynn's actions. It makes them feel more like actual characters rather than a threat the protagonist has to overcome.

There are two flaws in the film. The first is, quite obviously, why are the aliens invading Random Small Town, USA. You just kind of have to go with it, and it's easy to overlook since the rest of the film is really good. The second flaw is that it might feel like there are too many endings. There is a point in the film where I said out loud, "What the gently caress?!" and had to check the remaining time to make sure the film wasn't messing with me. If it ended there, where Brynn wakes up as if it was all a dream I would have been pissed. Fortunately, it didn't. But it has maybe 2-3 false endings like that.

Overall, a very enjoyable film and one I would not mind watching again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bogus Adventure posted:

There are two flaws in the film. The first is, quite obviously, why are the aliens invading Random Small Town, USA. You just kind of have to go with it, and it's easy to overlook since the rest of the film is really good.

The feeling I got watching it was that it was actually happening everywhere and you’re just seeing the invasion from a small town POV. IIRC that’s even outright confirmed at the end.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The feeling I got watching it was that it was actually happening everywhere and you’re just seeing the invasion from a small town POV. IIRC that’s even outright confirmed at the end.

Yeah, but the reasons behind it aren't really explained. Maybe they just want everyone to do intricate dance numbers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I thought it (especially the ending) was laughably bad, but Dever brings it. My wife really likes the show Unbelievable which she's great in.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I really enjoyed no one will save you also. It's a movie that doesn't waste time trying to build up too much background early on. Within 10 minutes it's getting into the thrills. That's what I want out of horror.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, I kinda loved it tbh. IIRC it was in my top 10 for last year.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

The Swimmer: a singular movie. It's a miracle that it was ever made. Burt Lancaster is incredible as the quixotic swimmer of the River Lucinda, whose journey home is ruined by a series of setbacks and humiliations, culminating in the final scene in front of his abandoned suburban mansion. It's easy, and probably correct, to say that the miserable reality of Ned's life is laid bare as he meets more and more people who shake him from his bourgeois complacency. I prefer to think that the whole movie operates as a dream-turned-nightmare, and increasingly we witness the Swimmer's doubts and insecurities as manifested by his subconscious.

Not a perfect movie, but it has a unique premise, gorgeous imagery, an iconic(ally weird) performance, and real allegorical power. Hard to get out of your head.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
the parallax view - i feel like 5 to 10 minutes were cut out of the middle of this and i don't know why. pretty cool movie though, love that scene about Happiness (if you've seen it you know the one)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lynch/Oz: this is basically a series of 6 video essays about the influence of the wizard of oz on other films and in particular David Lynch. They are all well produced essays filled with movie clips and other videos of Lynch. There's some good points with the peak probably being the 4th chapter by Kusama where she connects Oz and Mulholland Drive. It's a solid watch for Lynch fans.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

big boi posted:

The Swimmer: a singular movie. It's a miracle that it was ever made. Burt Lancaster is incredible as the quixotic swimmer of the River Lucinda, whose journey home is ruined by a series of setbacks and humiliations, culminating in the final scene in front of his abandoned suburban mansion. It's easy, and probably correct, to say that the miserable reality of Ned's life is laid bare as he meets more and more people who shake him from his bourgeois complacency. I prefer to think that the whole movie operates as a dream-turned-nightmare, and increasingly we witness the Swimmer's doubts and insecurities as manifested by his subconscious.

Not a perfect movie, but it has a unique premise, gorgeous imagery, an iconic(ally weird) performance, and real allegorical power. Hard to get out of your head.

Very beautiful film that I haven't seen for almost 20 years. I'll have to correct that soon.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Very beautiful film that I haven't seen for almost 20 years. I'll have to correct that soon.

It's back on Criterion Channel. Was gone for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heat Micheal Mann
May have the single tightest screenplay ever written, not a single second is wasted.

Thief Micheal Mann
Watched this with some buddies and they failed to appreciate the labor metaphor, how beautiful the film was, and what an interesting character Frank is. I've never been more devastated.

We Own the Night James Grey
Letting Phoenix take the burden of most the emotional scenes instead of Wahlburg immediately elevates this above The Yards. It's one of Phoenix's finest performance that's still somewhat grounded. Mendez is also great for how little she actually gets to do. It turns out that remaking The Godfather with the twist that you're focusing on the cops instead of the mafia was a recipe for a great film. I saw some people calling this pro-cop. I assume that they just missed the scene where Phoenix beats the poo poo out of his former friend and then brags that because he's with the police he can do whatever he wants to him, or the scene where the police captain wants the precinct to murder the entire Russian crew to send a message not to gently caress with them, or the fact that Phoenix joining the cops is treated with the same tragic notes as Micheal becoming Don and both are end up with destroyed relationships because of that choice.