Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time_pants posted:

As dearly as I love my 5-year-old son, I feel genuine guilt about the world he was born into.

In your defense, things have gotten exponentially shittier in the last five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Grammarly is cutting free non-profit subscriptions in May so there goes any chance of funders believing I'm not a toddler angrily slapping at a keyboard.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Make a position for an editor, their improvements to communication with funders will more than cover the cost of their salary and you can probably save someone from homelessness at the same time

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Less than a year before all fundraising positions are replaced by chatGPT because a mid-level exec at a nonprofit barely scraping by convinced their board this will lead to better mission/vision alignment. They will accidentally be correct because grant makers will replace all program development staff with ChatGPT so they can reduce their overhead by .02%.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sentient Data posted:

Make a position for an editor, their improvements to communication with funders will more than cover the cost of their salary and you can probably save someone from homelessness at the same time

Funders will not pay for core staffing, even if it improves organisational functions and saves money. Funding must be spend on projects and not staff time or overhead costs.

This applies to grants with a focus on improving organisational functions. I had a grant that specified the funding could be used for fundraising, but not for fundraising work, paying for a fundraising position, or anything that would bring in money for the organisation. So basically we could use the money to hire someone to develop a fundraising plan, but not implement it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My "meat flavor" pasta sauce doesn't even have textured vegetable protein or tomato flavor. It's just red tinted water.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Time_pants posted:

My boss is a true AI believer. He keeps trying to get me to get a ChatGPT subscription (which I wouldn't be reimbursed for) to do my job for me. He demonstrated the incredible capabilities of ChatGPT 4 by calling me into his office to show me how great it was at writing code. And, yeah, after letting the codebot have a few mulligans and some edits and debugging, it worked.

So, yeah, I'm not getting a subscription to ChatGPT.

sounds like AI could probably better replace your boss

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

redshirt posted:

Agent Smith was right, humanity peaked in 1999

"They usssed to play music videosss on MTV, Missster Anderssson."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Dip Viscous posted:

My "meat flavor" pasta sauce doesn't even have textured vegetable protein or tomato flavor. It's just red tinted water.

Why would you want vegetables or tomatoes in your meat flavor? It should taste like you just took down a gazelle and are sucking the meat flavor right out of its quivering artery.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DemihumanResources posted:

sounds like AI could probably better replace your boss

Boss this dumb is the kind that will just use ai after firing op and blame the market or their employees when the business fails

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Time_pants posted:

My boss is a true AI believer. He keeps trying to get me to get a ChatGPT subscription (which I wouldn't be reimbursed for) to do my job for me. He demonstrated the incredible capabilities of ChatGPT 4 by calling me into his office to show me how great it was at writing code. And, yeah, after letting the codebot have a few mulligans and some edits and debugging, it worked.

So, yeah, I'm not getting a subscription to ChatGPT.

i use chatgpt sometimes as a glorified search engine because google is so lovely and its helpful for that but you always have to check its work. i rarely ask it to provide code samples though because theyre always wrong in some subtle way (or sometimes not so subtle). ive never had one work. so in short you already have to know what youre doing for it to be remotely helpful and even then it is dubious at best

people who use it to write (prose not code) for them are annoying and you can always tell when something has been written by a bot because of how lovely it sounds

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was it itt that someone posted about how their boss used gpt to give them technical advice and had to admit it because gpt was just making poo poo up about what they should be seeing on the screen?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Professor Shark posted:

Not a Good Sign

I Think You're Right.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

Grammarly is cutting free non-profit subscriptions in May so there goes any chance of funders believing I'm not a toddler angrily slapping at a keyboard.

Good Lord that's lovely.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Boss this dumb is the kind that will just use ai after firing op and blame the market or their employees when the business fails

Hey! Spoilers!!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Outrail posted:

Funders will not pay for core staffing, even if it improves organisational functions and saves money. Funding must be spend on projects and not staff time or overhead costs.

This applies to grants with a focus on improving organisational functions. I had a grant that specified the funding could be used for fundraising, but not for fundraising work, paying for a fundraising position, or anything that would bring in money for the organisation. So basically we could use the money to hire someone to develop a fundraising plan, but not implement it.

Is that... normal? A normal nonprofit situation?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Matches up with my experience working for a non-profit theater.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Back when I was at a nonprofit we got this grant that required us to spend $80k on a consultant. This was for a super hyper-specialized policy area that the people at this nonprofit were experts on. Anyway, the consultant knew so little he couldn’t even really understand what the grant was about, taking up our time and making us look like idiots to other people in our field in the process. We could have really used that money too.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Atopian posted:

I spent $60k on a piece of equipment from a federal award with no questions asked but had the $25 cable that connected it to a computer denied, without which it would not work, so yeah Kafkaesque is SOP

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cat botherer posted:

Back when I was at a nonprofit we got this grant that required us to spend $80k on a consultant. This was for a super hyper-specialized policy area that the people at this nonprofit were experts on. Anyway, the consultant knew so little he couldn’t even really understand what the grant was about, taking up our time and making us look like idiots to other people in our field in the process. We could have really used that money too.

Next time that comes up I'd be happy to uselessly consult and give most of the money back in exchange for faking employment

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

tactlessbastard posted:

Next time that comes up I'd be happy to uselessly consult and give most of the money back in exchange for faking employment

One funder I spoke to about this confirmed that:
-We can't spend the money on staff wages
-We can spend the money on contractors
-It would be completely acceptable to fire a staff member who costs ~$40/hr to employ and contract them back at ~$100/hr for the duration of the project

I pointed out this would be illegal and they didn't have anything useful to say after that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
On the printscreen stuff I installed greenshot years ago, works real well.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Was it itt that someone posted about how their boss used gpt to give them technical advice and had to admit it because gpt was just making poo poo up about what they should be seeing on the screen?

Hahaha oh man that was me. Different company, different manager, same poo poo. The man(ager) of a thousand faces.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

One funder I spoke to about this confirmed that:
-We can't spend the money on staff wages
-We can spend the money on contractors
-It would be completely acceptable to fire a staff member who costs ~$40/hr to employ and contract them back at ~$100/hr for the duration of the project

I pointed out this would be illegal and they didn't have anything useful to say after that.

I’m lucky to work at an organization that will fund staff and operations when it makes sense. We’re pretty big on doing hiring and capacity development for fundraising and development positions. However, we do get a fair share of:

“our organization needs to hire a project manager at 200k a year for three years”

“Okay, what duties will this person perform that will contribute to your organization’s mission and what are the plans for year four and beyond to maintain this necessary position?”

:shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Hahaha oh man that was me. Different company, different manager, same poo poo. The man(ager) of a thousand faces.

Lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Oh look, Google Drive got shittier for no fuckin reason. Now it doesn't display all my files, but has that "infinite scroll" bullshit. The folders aren't in the same window as the rest of it. When I go into a folder and then back, it reverts to the infinite scroll view without the folders again. I hope they did this because it cuts down on server strain or something because functionally all this does is add extra steps and extra seconds to every single thing I use Google Drive for. Aesthetically it looks -- not better, but more Googlely.

Edit: holy poo poo this is even worse than when I started bitching about it. I've got a folder with a thousand files in it. How do I access any of them? Do I actually have to wait for the infinite scroll to load the next ten items every few seconds? And if I leave the window it reverts to its starting point. This new UI actually makes what I use it for kind of actually impossible unless I want to spend actual minutes waiting for the scroll to load. Surely there is a way to disable this.

edit 2: Okay, well, it's not quite as bad as I thought. The default screen is the lovely one that separates folders from files. It's actually only one extra step to view it all in one. But the infinite scroll still exists.

credburn fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 3, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

bad news if they’re finally pulling tricks to up measured engagement in drive :whitewater:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I went to Wal-Mart the other day, and the self-checkout had ads at the top. Please gently caress off.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A five second advertisement every ten files loaded.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TrashMammal posted:

mindmaze was good

yo I'm the fox and I'm here to say
click on the door if you want to play

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Time_pants posted:

I went to Wal-Mart the other day, and the self-checkout had ads at the top. Please gently caress off.

Something that got slightly less lovely: all self-checkouts I've used lately across a couple different stores no longer weigh your groceries. Meaning you don't have to wait for the attendant to fix the machine when it goes nuts because your Kraft Macaroni weighed .002% less or more than expected.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah I appreciate that. At Aldi I just use the hand scanner and kinda shuffle things from one side of the cart to the other while scanning them.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

credburn posted:

Something that got slightly less lovely: all self-checkouts I've used lately across a couple different stores no longer weigh your groceries. Meaning you don't have to wait for the attendant to fix the machine when it goes nuts because your Kraft Macaroni weighed .002% less or more than expected.

Yeah, my Kroger just opened up two new banks of self checkouts. The old ones are still there, just completely unused now. But at least the new ones don't freak out when I scan the 44lb bag of dog food and don't put it on the 2x2 bagging area. Or I get a call for "assistance" because the scales didn't pick up on the light-weight product I just scanned and bagged.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

credburn posted:

Or that you dared to put a bag down on the scale to fill with your items.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atopian posted:

I just fell rear end-backwards into being a board member of a nonprofit just by saying yes when asked by somebody I hadn't seen since college and I'm already so, so confused by how everything works.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Just found out the hard way that modern Pyrex cookingware isn't the same poo poo as the old stuff and it's loving garbage in comparison. I literally just tonight bought a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup and came home to make dinner with it. Part of the recipe calls for hot water so I went to fill the measuring cup up and it exploded in my hand. Looked up WTF after the fact and found out the Instapot company bought them out and changed the Pyrex recipe in the US and there isn't even a website for them in the US anymore.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pyrex hasn’t been borosilicate since the 80s.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I bought a stainless steel pot off Amazon from a name brand and it corroded and pitted after the first use. Now I get to try and guess if it was counterfeit or if that brand just makes poo poo cookware now.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

withak posted:

Pyrex hasn’t been borosilicate since the 80s.

drat, my parents must have had the old poo poo then cause I was used to being able to put whatever in it. Apparently you can still get the good stuff in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

pyrex is the garbage poo poo, PYREX is the good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The newer stuff is supposedly harder to break while dropping or otherwise banging around. Just not as good with heat.