Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Terminally Bored posted:

Does this mean a baseball-like two league system with even stupider set of playoffs?

Nah, they're completely separate entities (for now). I'd expect next to no interaction between the two for quite some time as the two are on different calendars (USLSL planning to adhere to the standard international calendar and the NWSL not because America) making preseason matches difficult to coordinate and there's no US Open Cup for women's teams yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/swisswnt/status/1756746774021107922

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

This feels like a lethal signing.

https://twitter.com/FCBfrauen/status/1758053647785644527

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Always happy to watch a match where Purce is thriving. The podcast she had with Katie Nolan last year totally sold me on her.

Also this match could easily have been 9-0

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

9-0? DR didn't commit *that* many fouls in the box :v:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1757472626283261978

Record transfer in women's football so far

surf rock posted:

Always happy to watch a match where Purce is thriving. The podcast she had with Katie Nolan last year totally sold me on her.

Also this match could easily have been 9-0

I had the opposite reaction. Her comments on the Portugal-USA match at the WC for example were complete trash and Nolan was just sitting there asking questions like "Are PKs hard to do?".

I'd recommend Sam Mewis podcast, she's always funny and interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurRszY-T2w

Also, Three Players & A Podcast on Sky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9to8xUAjg8
Not sure if Beattie will stay on it though, she's playing for Bay FC next season.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Magdalena Eriksson started writing articles on tactics: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/22/how-to-stop-spain-and-aitana-bonmati-moving-the-goalposts-nations-league

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think the USWNT might be sorta decent

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

whypick1 posted:

I think the USWNT might be sorta decent

Good talent, it’s the depth and youth I’m high on, when Horan/Morgan/Lavelle are your elder veterans you’re in a good place

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The NWSL Coachella preseason is on Tubi right now (Wave/Thorns) and I love FAST as a platform for this sort of thing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, through 30 minutes the USWNT squad is looking real rough.

Rose's chemistry seems off with the others, and I'm not sure what's going on with Sophia Smith either. I mean, I don't think anybody's looking great but we are just don't seem capable of sustaining an attack at the moment.

edit: and that's what happens!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 27, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
They aren’t just failing on an individual level, players look lost and confused, there’s no structure or organization. Dunno if that’s the formation tonight or what but hooo lad. Lavelle hasn’t looked great, I hate to say it but Smith and Rodman have absolutely no chemistry and are floundering, just ugly

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No me gusta

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm not even sure this is Mexico playing great. I think they look fine and the goal was nice (and I think that's given them a bit of a confidence boost that's making them play more aggressively since then), but this seems to be a lot of the USWNT just falling over itself.

I'm expecting multiple subs at halftime. They gotta change something in the front third.

edit: okay the degree to which we were struggling to do a throw-in was just sad. Also, Rodman, you gotta take a shot on your breakaway.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 27, 2024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

loving embarrassing

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lmao this is keystone kops nonsense

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Mexico should have won this by 4-0. I can't point to a single player's performance tonight as good. Just brutal in every respect.

That new coach can't arrive soon enough. Also, I didn't mention it before, but Becky Sauerbrunn seems finished. The total lack of offense tonight was ugly and made me focus on the front third, but the back third seemed completely lost too.

Honestly, that game was so bad that I almost expect a story to come out tomorrow about how most of the squad got food poisoning day-of or something. It's hard to believe a lineup change caused that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

As usual, USWNT run a lot but they're really chaotic and don't get into proper shapes when off the ball. The US is a few years behind Europe in terms of defensive training but Hayes will change that. The only thing I fear is that there will be lots of complaining from the team because by all accounts Hayes can be like a drill instructor sometimes.

e: lmao Purce was left defending for that second golazo

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 27, 2024

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

first two matches under grainger are done and we won 3-0 and 5-0 against Croatia in the nations league promotion/relegation matches, and it feels kinda stupid to have them considering the skill level between the A and B leagues and how injury prone the game is at the moment. both CGH and Hegerberg were sent home to their clubs following the first game due to injury scares, and yet we still added another 5 goals to our tally. and two of the other three games are looking equally one sided with belgium leading hungary 5-1 before their return game in a few minutes, and sweden has a solid 5-0 lead over bosnia herzegovina following the first leg. only iceland made it somewhat exciting by not playing, arguably, their best player at all and scraping by 1-1 and 2-1 against serbia.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 27, 2024

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Olympic qualifier going well, Matildas are up 7-0 against Uzbekistan after 35 minutes

edit; final score 10-0
Nice to see they’re moving beyond the “kick it to Kerr” tactics

webmeister fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 28, 2024

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
trying to figure out how to watch this Spain-France match lmao. it's not even on the streaming sites

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Akbar posted:

trying to figure out how to watch this Spain-France match lmao. it's not even on the streaming sites

use a spanish vpn and this https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/directo/deportes/espana-francia-final-women-nations-league-futbol/

also follow ameé on twitter, she tweets out all the links for womens football just about daily

https://twitter.com/ameeruszkai/status/1762751754754457736

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

There also are a few :filez: streams on youtube if you're not against that sort of thing.

Spain is winning 2-0 at the moment but it doesn't matter because both teams already qualified for the Olympics. The third place match, Germany-Netherlands, is starting just about now and it's going to be really spicy because there's only one place left in the Olympics for European teams.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
yeah I eventually found it on YT. Spain looked good. France not so much.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

german coach enjoying his time on the sideline

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, this match owns

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

looks like the german PPP-formula worked. pancakes, power, paris.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Group stage of the CONCACAF W Gold Cup wrapped up tonight, which means the knockout stage seeding and bracket has been determined:

#1 - Canada - 9 points, +13 GD
#2 - Brazil - 9 points, +7 GD
#3 - Mexico - 7 points, +10 GD
#4 - USA - 6 points, +7 GD, 9 GF
#5 - Colombia - 6 points, +7 GD, 8 GF
#6 - Paraguay - 6 points, -2 GD
#7 - Argentina - 4 points, -1 GD
#8 - Costa Rica - 3 points, -2 GD (this spot went down to drawing of lots as Puerto Rico also had 3 points, 2 GF/4 GA against and the same Fair Play Ranking)

Knockout schedule:

Quarterfinal
#1 Canada vs. #8 Costa Rica - March 2, 4PM PST - Canada wins a close one 1-0
#2 Brazil vs. #7 Argentina - March 2, 7:15PM PST - Brazil easily handles Argentina 5-1
#3 Mexico vs. #6 Paraguay - March 3, 2PM PST - Thanks to a missed PK Mexico advances over Paraguay 3-2
#4 USA vs. #5 Colombia - March 3, 5:15PM PST - The US bounced back rather nicely, dispatching Colombia 3-0

Semifinal
Brazil vs. Mexico - March 6, 4PM PST
Canada vs. USA - March 6, 7:15PM PST

Final
CAN/USA vs. BRA/MEX - March 10, 5:15PM PDT (gently caress you Daylight Savings Time)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 4, 2024

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Costa Rica *inches* away from stealing this game at the end of the second half.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Holy poo poo Canada finally finished a chance!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

brann has been fined for its fans chanting "UEFA mafia" in response to various grievances, in this instance being unhappy about a referee call

i do not think that this is going to reduce the impression that UEFA is a mafia among the relevant supporters

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
USA-Colombia starting out weird and chippy.
I feel like "no defenders in the penalty box during a penalty kick" is a pretty basic rule that probably the Colombian players should be expected to follow?

Edit: at this rate we'll end up with what, a dozen yellow cards?

Dav fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 4, 2024

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Where the gently caress was this on Monday?

Dav posted:

Edit: at this rate we'll end up with what, a dozen yellow cards?

This game is so CONCACAF...are we sure Colombia is in CONMEBOL?

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 4, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Some proper CONCACAF shithousing in this match.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Seems like the ref came out this half determined to not whistle anything unless someone literally dies :stonk:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm actually not sure how it's possible that Alex Morgan missed that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
A nice getting your groove back game. I’m officially quite over Trinity Rodman, and I love Smith but she hasn’t shown much of late, otherwise gat dang keep the young kids out there, Shaw et al are absolute beasts

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Amazed that stayed 11v11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoMjXIEc5AM

Shouldn't have been a penalty but that Nighswonger hit was fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP9SfSwPwW4

Paraguay both teams with a risky strategy of not defending at all

Thaddius the Large posted:

A nice getting your groove back game. I’m officially quite over Trinity Rodman, and I love Smith but she hasn’t shown much of late, otherwise gat dang keep the young kids out there, Shaw et al are absolute beasts

Rodman had a really good assist this match. Smith did gently caress all.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 4, 2024