Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Infidelicious posted:

Random rank per drop would be great.

Doing a Intel mission, get to the last objective... flares drops two flame hulks kill one, one lights me on fire as I parkour up and over a fence to leap of a cliff... into water deep enough to kill me.

at least you put the fire out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just started playing Challenging level (4?) and yeah that’s a lot of chargers all of a sudden!

Grenade launcher does pretty good against them still but I could really use the railgun I think.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cheers Goons, looking forward to spreading democracy

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

if they arent willing to die for democracy they are not your friends

friends love freedom.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

Just started playing Challenging level (4?) and yeah that’s a lot of chargers all of a sudden!

Grenade launcher does pretty good against them still but I could really use the railgun I think.
Use the EAT as a second secondary in the mean time. You can almost always call them in, and they destroy chargers.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Pro tip, going prone puts out the fire.

Infinitum posted:

Picked this up and am pretty hype. Trying to convince some IRL friends to join me, as this'll be right up their alley

If my mates join later what happens wrt me having more hours than them, and them being 'underpowered' on progression?

You’ll simply know how to effectively kill things sooner, and have that precious level 20 gear.

Honestly though eagle airstrike, EAT/nade launcher/gatling turret/laser dog/breaker are pretty quick to get from the get-go

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I nearly lost a mission because I convinced my squad the water was shallow enough to wade across and escape a patrol. It was not.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
One neat trick to kill chargers

https://i.imgur.com/ZzGhVcg.mp4

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ErKeL posted:

I nearly lost a mission because I convinced my squad the water was shallow enough to wade across and escape a patrol. It was not.

Water is loving dangerous, even small puddles slow you down a shitload, died last night because I tried to shortcut through a 2' deep puddle 6' across and welp.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also I'm pretty sure you can pull your friends into 7+ missions right at the start if you feel like being evil. I joined a friend's Suicide campaign before I had Extreme unlocked (and then completing the campaign only unlocked Suicide difficulty for me)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ErKeL posted:

I had two teammate bravely try to swim across a 25 foot pond only to drown horribly. WE all laughed about it including the lost samples and went on to the narrow passings that you could actually swim/dive across.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Infinitum posted:

Picked this up and am pretty hype. Trying to convince some IRL friends to join me, as this'll be right up their alley

If my mates join later what happens wrt me having more hours than them, and them being 'underpowered' on progression?

The starting primary weapon is like the third best primary weapon and I still use the Eagle Airstrike at level 36. Once they get to like level 5 or so (which you can get to in a couple hours) and can get the grenade launcher they'll be totally fine for midgame stuff.

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the game does start you underpowered without a full set of stratagems or booster and no good anti armor options, but you get those very quickly. It only takes a few matches to have a full set of options.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rusty posted:

Use the EAT as a second secondary in the mean time. You can almost always call them in, and they destroy chargers.

I should unlock this one too, it seems pretty useful and the call in cooldown is low too iirc

I love how good the grenade launcher is in so many situations, it just ruins most bugs and bots (in bunches!)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I enjoy this game, but the having it crash when trying to extract after a harrowing 40 minute mission is getting really tiresome.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Risky Bisquick posted:

Pro tip, going prone puts out the fire.

You’ll simply know how to effectively kill things sooner, and have that precious level 20 gear.

Honestly though eagle airstrike, EAT/nade launcher/gatling turret/laser dog/breaker are pretty quick to get from the get-go

Stop drop and roll works!

As a high level player you are incentivized to run low level stuff for Common Samples anyway so bring your buddies to all that.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Phenotype posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you can pull your friends into 7+ missions right at the start if you feel like being evil. I joined a friend's Suicide campaign before I had Extreme unlocked (and then completing the campaign only unlocked Suicide difficulty for me)

had a few pubby encounters who waited until the squad was full and then switched from 5 or 6 to 9. Kinda worked out in the end despite rather low level peeps. One of the hosts was definitely cheating tho

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite death so far: a buddy kills a charger coming at me by dropping a well-timed precision strike on its rear end. This throws the body into me, knocking me over. Then together we slide into an explosive barrel, detonating it and killing me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

puddles are an insidious bug trap

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Strategem idea: orbital drop a giant sugar cube all the bugs go for while teammate hits it with an orbital strike :haw:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

priznat posted:

Strategem idea: orbital drop a giant sugar cube all the bugs go for while teammate hits it with an orbital strike :haw:

Minefield dispensers are actually kinda this.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Missed opportunity from Super Earth R&D to not include one of those cardboard Helldiver decoys on top of every mine dispenser to make bugs/bots investigate it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I still think they should add the flag raising mission to higher difficulties and have the blaring music attract mobs.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

ijyt posted:

I still think they should add the flag raising mission to higher difficulties and have the blaring music attract mobs.

Due to democratic union action, the Pelican 1 refuses to land on unpatriotic soil. Hoist up the flag so you can go home.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

wait, I've never even done a flag raising mission

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

ZearothK posted:

Mods Democracy Officers?!

Molrok
May 30, 2011

ZearothK posted:

They show up at Trivial and Easy only I think, they're pure propaganda ops. There's even a tiny little drone with a camera that pops up to record the hoistening.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ZearothK posted:

what the gently caress

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

ijyt posted:

Are there other mission types that are difficulty-restricted?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

It seems the "Kill X enemy type" ones are difficulty related, probably meant as an introduction to murdering that enemy type.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

priznat posted:

There was a stratagem in HD1 that did this and appears on the datamined list of unreleased content along with the mech and a bunch of other stuff. While anything on the list (except for the mech, which was officially announced pre-release) could just be remnants of something that never made it past testing, that one feels like it’ll eventually get added.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Fishstick posted:

" Kill (Large Target That Isn't Usually Found At That Difficulty)" missions where you attack hulks and bile titans at Difficulty 4-5. Since they are just common spawns at Difficulty 7+ it wouldn't make sense to have missions targeting a bile titan when you'll fight 6 of them on the way to the objective to kill 1 of them.

We would need whatever unreleased super units for each faction that would be spawning at Difficulty 12 to have missions targeting them in 7-9.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah very low difficulties have "kill the chargers" missions.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ijyt posted:

They should have a system that detects whether a planet is about to be liberated and require raising the flag to hit 100 percent

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Had two missions in a row where a bug breach bugged out and showed the alert for 30 minutes but no actual breaches occurred. Made the 7 difficulty mission trivial.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

Had two missions in a row where a bug breach bugged out and showed the alert for 30 minutes but no actual breaches occurred. Made the 7 difficulty mission trivial.

Was the team split up? Only one alert spawns at a time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Infidelicious posted:

Was the team split up? Only one alert spawns at a time.

this is the secret to easy infiltrations in general

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

gonna pick this up eventually.
is there like a way to customize a 'support-type' class character or is everyone just shoot everything hard

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

hiddenriverninja posted:

They should have a system that detects whether a planet is about to be liberated and require raising the flag to hit 100 percent

This but it’s the difficulty 7+ version and you have to raise like 10 flags across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
https://i.imgur.com/1IOTJ3l.mp4
From reddit, but :drat:

Exodee fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 3, 2024