Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Most cars made today are dipped but zinc is not rust protection, only a rust retardant.

Heres a 2008 Passat doing what Passats do:

Do you live under the sea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Sweden. Basically, the same thing, considering how much salt they use on our roads.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Is there actually anything you can do to stop cars just disintegrating after a decade or two over there? I used to drive my ute on the beach fairly often and spent ages washing and flushing it out afterwards, seems like that would be impractical in a place where you get salt thrown all over it every day and also it's too cold to wash your car.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Buy a Saturn I guess

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ili posted:

Is there actually anything you can do to stop cars just disintegrating after a decade or two over there? I used to drive my ute on the beach fairly often and spent ages washing and flushing it out afterwards, seems like that would be impractical in a place where you get salt thrown all over it every day and also it's too cold to wash your car.

Of course!

But seriously, you can apply oils like fluid film or krown, avoid parking it covered in salt in a heated garage, and just generally keep the car clean.

You can't stop rust but you can slow it down.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Buy a Saturn I guess

Saturn's plastic body panels only hide the structural rust eating them all from within.

https://i.imgur.com/A64EyR5.mp4

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

ili posted:

Not all cars here rust out like that Passat. Most makes have figured out rust protection by now. For some reason 2010-era VAG products are not among them.

Classic cars rarely get driven in the winter here though. Salt will absolutely destroy them, plus it's hard to keep anything clean unless the conditions are really cold and dry.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"why do they call us stealerships?"

https://twitter.com/TakuroSpirit/status/1763675585216151663?t=CCuAPRgKHtMAZOeLEQzcFg&s=19

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

ili posted:

Get a good undercoating and go to a car wash where they have the sprayers you drive over to rinse the undercarriage off like once a week. Then there are certain year ranges of cars that are just straight up garbage, such as the aforementioned VWs and the 90s Mercedes C class. At least in the past, cars that were sold in places like Scandinavia got extra rust proofing from the factory/dealer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

For those who don't want to click twitter, or can't figure out the joke, is that lighting is an electric vehicle. But hey $500 to protect your catalytic converter! What a deal!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

world’s most trustworthy car dealer

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Would it kill cat thieves to know what a jack point is? They broke the plastic rocker cover off of my scion

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is there anything roughly equivalent to a cat on an ev, in terms of valuable and easy to steal quickly? obviously there's shitloads of copper and expensive batteries but those all seem pretty locked up, at least more than "sawzall two pieces of thin wall steel tube"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im sure someone eventually will porsche headlight their way into leaving an expensive bit easy to steal, but no not really. Theres nothing as value dense as a cat.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Whoops we forgot to engrave any of them!"

I'm sure the shady bulk metal dealers who accept clearly stolen goods from roving methheads holding sawzalls check every single cat against the police database before giving cash payments.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You could probably wrestle an entire $10k Tesla rear subframe/drive unit loose after removing about 10 bolts and cutting some coolant/brake/electricity lines, but then you’ve got to fence it to someone who wants it, and you’ve got a pretty big problem if you let the electricity out.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 3, 2024

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Powershift posted:

You could probably wrestle an entire $10k Tesla rear subframe/drive unit loose after removing about 10 bolts and cutting some coolant/brake/electricity lines, but then you’ve got to fence it to someone who wants it, and you’ve got a pretty big problem if you let the electricity out.

PM me if any of you do this.

https://www.holley.com/products/ev_conversions/swap_brackets_and_accessories/parts/HEV002-001

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oh man: to convert my Econoline to electric would be a fun project

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Powershift posted:

A 450v DC arc flash is way brighter than the butane torch at the end of a pyrex and way louder than the gentle crackle of sublimating amphetamine crystals

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I mean I do, and I even have a broken frame that could use some upgrades.

But the best way to finish one vehicle project is by starting another.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

Residential charging cables, followed by charging ports. Wreck enough charging ports, vehicle or house side, and it pays for itself x2.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

does the drive unit not have a plug? how do they service it? shutoff at the battery?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The high voltage disconnect usually isn't accessible from underneath, they are either under the hood or rear seats, and most of the other connections aren't things you want to touch while live.

Edit : it's not too much of a problem for people trying to steal your poo poo tho, electric cars have emergency disconnects for firefigthers, you can get at them easily if you are willing to smash poo poo.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 3, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you dropping the rear cradle on model s, you will have enough space to disconnect the main plug, once the subframe is low enough. But nobody's doing it on the street, maybe inside a chop shop

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

coupedeville posted:

A 450v DC arc flash is way brighter than the butane torch at the end of a pyrex and way louder than the gentle crackle of sublimating amphetamine crystals

Hell yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CMD598 posted:

Toyota has many vans.

Edit: maybe I should read all the posts first

I feel like the ridiculous grilles are a good start for a Warhammer 40k car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of ridiculous grilles Fort Nine is a motorbike channel on youtube and they're very good, their stuff is well researched, thoughtful, funny and presented really nicely.

This one is a short video on why more people are dying in the US than elsewhere in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpuX-5E7xoU

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 4, 2024

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Not just a YouTube channel with a pretty face, they’re a motorbike gear/accessory retailer. It’s crazy that their YouTube channel is this good and they don’t spend every few minutes shilling their site.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Frank Dillinger posted:

Not just a YouTube channel with a pretty face, they’re a motorbike gear/accessory retailer. It’s crazy that their YouTube channel is this good and they don’t spend every few minutes shilling their site.

It's like when NCIX (Rest in Piss) created Linus Tech Tips.

A strange coincidence that both channels are based out of Vancouver

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Except Ryan doesn't constantly try to get you to buy underwear with his face on it. I've watched their videos occasionally despite not being a motorcyclist and had no idea they were a gear store at all.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Revzilla is the basically the opposite, most of their videos are reviews but then occasionally they throw out cool videos like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNgYW5N95z8

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Except Ryan doesn't constantly try to get you to buy underwear with his face on it.

Have you not been getting my PMs?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ryanrs posted:

:lol:

Anyway if you were playing at home thinking these weren't going to be poo poo, more fool you I guess?

https://twitter.com/ChiarelloERISA/status/1764357938070626653?t=XEPbD6vKx79pQfmvPWIbUg&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

Sorry need to check the inbox

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Anyway if you were playing at home thinking these weren't going to be poo poo, more fool you I guess?

https://twitter.com/ChiarelloERISA/status/1764357938070626653?t=XEPbD6vKx79pQfmvPWIbUg&s=19
Love the truck though!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lol you can see the spots on it already on the top R panels

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mobby_6kl posted:

Love the truck though!

God they are such loving SIMPS.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And THIS is why steer by wire is a huge HELL NO for me

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tesla simps will tell you to trust the software and OTA bug fixes for things that should be caught in QA are cool/good.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I hate the disingenuous argument about airplane fly by wire safety whenever people suggest it in cars. Those systems are inspected when the plane lands and before it takes off, how many times will the drive by wire system be inspected in its entire life on the road? Probably less than 10, even if you're doing all of your maintenance at the dealership

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

I hate the disingenuous argument about airplane fly by wire safety whenever people suggest it in cars. Those systems are inspected when the plane lands and before it takes off, how many times will the drive by wire system be inspected in its entire life on the road? Probably less than 10, even if you're doing all of your maintenance at the dealership

Also how much redundancy is there in said systems and training if said system glitch? What problem are they trying to solve by removing the physical link anyway when EPAS exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What problem are they trying to solve by removing the physical link anyway when EPAS exists?

Not enough money going into elons bank account.