Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Mims posting a 4.33 shuttle is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

He might've worked his way into the top 10.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I think a lot of people already had him there.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dammit he’s even more a athletic freak than thought

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The hook with Mims was always the injury history. Freakish athleticism doesn't matter if you don't play.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://ras.football/

First number is what they scored when they tested, second number is their scores against all-time. This will favor newer players since they're generally better trained, better diet, etc. Not going to do all positions, just a few that caught my eye -- you can see for yourself pretty easily anyway just by filtering to position on the website.

At a glance it looks like RAS translates decently to performance if you're a RB, WR, or pass rusher. If you have to cover? Not so much.

Horn is fantastic when he’s healthy (lol) and chinn was ROTY runner up before the panthers panth’d him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Y’all need to check out the RAS scores for this OL class. Incredible. All the top OTs are above 9.4 and most above 9.6.

Joe Alt 9.91?! *Vegeta power level scouter gif*

Guards and centers are looking powerful as well.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Mims posting a 4.33 shuttle is absurd.

RIP this I guess. Mims didn’t do the short shuttle apparently. Some data entry intern messed up when entry the guys in the Ms or something.

https://twitter.com/thedraftnetwork/status/1764490448674910488?s=46&t=Q9JsEynxHxZ9F2lOwU2Uuw

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mims is a great RT his issue is that he can't stay on the field for more than half a game without getting injured

Grozz Nuy posted:

Are we really assuming Coleman is dropping below both of them already?

People can be so certain in their rankings and then the second the 40s happen everyone shuts their brains off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

People can be so certain in their rankings and then the second the 40s happen everyone shuts their brains off.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I don't know that Coleman's 40 says anything different than the 2023 film or production numbers do. 33% ish for both contested target and catch rate.

Apparently I'm supposed to watch 2022 Coleman, where he's both consistently open and grabbing every contested catch. I don't want to though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
From what I remember Coleman was really good the first part of the season but then he was hurt and never really got back on track. He was fantastic vs LSU.

Doltos posted:

Mims is a great RT his issue is that he can't stay on the field for more than half a game without getting injured

The Anthony Richardson of tackles?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm listening to Tice and Brugler's Combine recap and they said Coleman hit 20mph in the gauntlet, which says a lot more about his game speed than the 40 does (theoretically).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Tanor Bortolini

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know that Coleman's 40 says anything different than the 2023 film or production numbers do. 33% ish for both contested target and catch rate.

Apparently I'm supposed to watch 2022 Coleman, where he's both consistently open and grabbing every contested catch. I don't want to though.

Under no circumstances should one watch the 2022 Michigan State offense.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Being able to out run big 10 players means nothing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/1764676215657345062

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I wonder how 225 was selected? Is it just 2 plates is good? Didn’t like putting the small plates for 250?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Whole number of big plate good. 1 plate too easy. 3 plate too hard.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

You're right he's not a speed demon he gets all his work being way more athletic than anyone around him on jump balls and contested catches. People can just look at that, say it out loud, then see his 40 and act like he deserves to drop because of it.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

NFL Draft Thread: The Hog Is Strong

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

NFL Draft Thread: The Hog Is Strong

Weird I thought the Robert Kraft thread got archived years ago

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Weebly posted:

I wonder how 225 was selected? Is it just 2 plates is good? Didn’t like putting the small plates for 250?

Its equivalent of 100kg and its 2 plate per side. So it's standard across all gyms I guess as something all athletes should have access too.

How much someone can bench isn't exactly a great indicator of functional strength. Fun as hell as an event though.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Malik Washington and Tahj Washington may be better than most are advertising.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Malik Washington having a 42" vertical at 5'8" is absurd lol

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Cash Monet posted:

Malik Washington having a 42" vertical at 5'8" is absurd lol

Miniature version of Sun God. If he ends up in the right system, he will end up being a top 10-15 leader in Yards.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

xbilkis posted:

I don't think I've ever seen RAS used to the point of someone saying "Well, [Player X] had a 9.84 and [Player Y] had a 9.32 so my preference is [Player X]". Seems like it's mostly just a shorthand for going "This guy is a (very good/average/below-average) athlete for his position" and gathering all the combine testing numbers in one place

Yeah I don't get the hate, it's just combining available testing numbers in one place and assigning a score. About as objective as it gets, just don't take it as gospel in terms of them being great players or some poo poo and you'll be fine.

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://ras.football/

First number is what they scored when they tested, second number is their scores against all-time. This will favor newer players since they're generally better trained, better diet, etc. Not going to do all positions, just a few that caught my eye -- you can see for yourself pretty easily anyway just by filtering to position on the website.

At a glance it looks like RAS translates decently to performance if you're a RB, WR, or pass rusher. If you have to cover? Not so much.

I don't know I remember L'Jarius Sneed and Tariq Woolen being big time combine performers in terms of size and speed, both taken after pick 100 and both hugely outperformed their draft slot. Then guys who performed in college but didn't test well who were drafted high and ended up disappointments.

Of course you can find examples of any scenario but size and speed is pretty drat important in a corner, not necessarily the most important thing but you gotta have at least some of it. Especially in the later rounds, there are much worse strategies than taking a chance on pure athleticism and possibly unmet potential, especially in young prospects.

Cash Monet posted:

This is what Amarius Mims looks like at 340 btw

https://x.com/GeorgeFoster72/status/1764325910734409809?s=20

lmao

I'm actually not crazy about tackles being insanely tall. Long arms is nice, solid body is nice, but I would say I prefer shorter legs and slightly shorter height overall because being super tall makes it very easy for pass rushers to get under you and very difficult to win that battle of leverage. In fact after a cursory look the current best tackles in the NFL are mostly 6'4 or 6'5. Which could just be because super tall guys are more rare, but just biomechanically I think there is a point at which further height is counterproductive.

Play fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 5, 2024

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

indigi posted:

the little old guy taking his picture really makes it

And the guy next to him who’s probably under 350 but sure looks different

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every really tall guy could be Jon Ogden.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1764778750628229398

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Play posted:

I'm actually not crazy about tackles being insanely tall. Long arms is nice, solid body is nice, but I would say I prefer shorter legs and slightly shorter height overall because being super tall makes it very easy for pass rushers to get under you and very difficult to win that battle of leverage. In fact after a cursory look the current best tackles in the NFL are mostly 6'4 or 6'5. Which could just be because super tall guys are more rare, but just biomechanically I think there is a point at which further height is counterproductive.

it really depends a lot. Leverage can be an issue, but I think more often than not it's just foot speed. It's super rare for big tackles to move well, but it's a bit of tradeoff. Orlando Brown Jr is a middle of the pack tackle at 6' 8", and he's just so big and strong that the leverage you gain from his size is nullified. It's nearly impossible to convert that leverage into functional movement. It is much easier to just go around him because he's slow as poo poo. Mims has great foot speed, and I don't think you really see guys getting underneath him effectively that much in the uhhhh 6 or so games of film. I can think of a few times where you notice guys winning that leverage battle, but he's quickly able to replant and overpower them.

I think it's a concern for Latham this year too, he's very powerful and has amazing grip. You're just not going to go through him. Around him? That might be easier than you'd like at tackle in the NFL.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

It just takes the combine data and references it to position and height / weight.

It's not doing anything but telling you how a player rates at combine drills compared to his peers since 2000.

Exactly. Hating RAS is dumber than assuming it's the only thing you should look for because if you hate RAS you are informed enough to know better. It's literally a tool that lists what we're all doing here, measuring athletic performances that may or may not translate to the field.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
RAS and the combine is an outlier detection system IMO.

If someone has an outlier performance good or bad, you should probably go back and check the tape and make sure you didn't miss something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

I mean everyone knew he was going to test super fast the guy was hitting 4.4 in high school it's just more the fact that he gets shoved off his routes so easily that people were talking 2nd/3rd day for him. He's smaller than DeVonta Smith, bone thin and not strong nor does he have the torque ability with his arms that Smith has. Washington was bullying the poo poo out of him at the Sugar Bowl.

e: I have him in the 2nd round which is mostly based on his screen game prowess and he will get open over and over on go routes but top 15 is ehhh

I refuse to listen to "gets shoved off his routes" ever again after you all soured me on Christian Watson for this very reason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

it really depends a lot. Leverage can be an issue, but I think more often than not it's just foot speed. It's super rare for big tackles to move well, but it's a bit of tradeoff. Orlando Brown Jr is a middle of the pack tackle at 6' 8", and he's just so big and strong that the leverage you gain from his size is nullified. It's nearly impossible to convert that leverage into functional movement. It is much easier to just go around him because he's slow as poo poo. Mims has great foot speed, and I don't think you really see guys getting underneath him effectively that much in the uhhhh 6 or so games of film. I can think of a few times where you notice guys winning that leverage battle, but he's quickly able to replant and overpower them.

I think it's a concern for Latham this year too, he's very powerful and has amazing grip. You're just not going to go through him. Around him? That might be easier than you'd like at tackle in the NFL.

Yeah I was just recently let on to knowledge about OLine tipping their hand really badly in college just due to how hard it is to move as a big guy. Seeing guys cheat up in line with the center because they can't get to the corner quick enough, seeing guys cheat far back because they have to pull, having it all be okay because most college DEs aren't NFL quality. Kind of made me realize how much you should shut up and just take the big guy who moves well even if he engages poorly or isn't that strong just because the movement is so insanely important in NFL and so hard to get. Mims, if he stays healthy, should be a phenomenal RT just because of his feet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

bring the Ladd to KC

https://twitter.com/PFF_Chiefs/status/1765039601305985344

tell me more

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Personally, I would like to see AD Mitchell on the Chiefs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

I refuse to listen to "gets shoved off his routes" ever again after you all soured me on Christian Watson for this very reason.

Watson has 1000 yards in two seasons and his usage has faded in favor of two rookies. Part of that is that he can’t stay healthy but he’s also not turned into a particularly accomplished route runner and he still doesn’t have great hands.

He’s a weird counterexample to use. Green Bay is supposedly looking to trade him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He had three touchdowns in one game and the problem isn't he gets shoved off routes. The problem is he can't stay healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
that and they try to turn him into a constant homerun threat but he's inconsistently successful at that.