Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

because the lights are on and they don’t have an eye mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

HawaiinYeti posted:

We put out food for Mocha last night with a Blink cam watching over it. Got absolutely nothing. My mom was pretty despondent this morning and we headed out to pick up something for breakfast when we noticed our neighbor in her backyard letting her dogs out. I figured I would let her know that we think Mocha got out and she immediately said "Oh yeah, he's back here". Sure enough, he was huddled in a corner outside her house behind their lawnmower. I was maybe 20 feet away from him at points yesterday, dumb cat. My neighbor saw him yesterday, thought he was a very pregnant cat, so gave him a nice warm blanket and food/water for him to nest in, haha.

So, much relief around the Yeti household. We still have absolutely no idea how he got out, but my mom's getting collars with spaces for AirTags for both Mocha and CJ so if they ever get out again, it'll be a bit simpler to track them down.

https://i.imgur.io/bQFht0L.mp4
Mocha a couple minutes after getting back inside, no worse for wear

Thank you everyone for your advice and requests that Mocha go home. We should get BobHoward's post saved somewhere to easily reference in the future, because there is a lot of great advice in there. Given another day or 2, I'm positive that the rotisserie chicken would have worked.

yay Mocha! now stay inside

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

welcome home mocha! glad it had a happy ending. every now and then one of the cats finds a novel hiding place and i panic thinking they got out somehow. it took me hours across multiple instances to figure out where bandit was hiding when he discovered how cozy the inside of my luggage was.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nargle is home, shaved in a very punk rock haircut, smelling terrible, and i couldn't be happier.

Bill turned out to be a little less than I expected, we got a plan going forward, and she's asleep on her fuzzy rug with a heating pad underneath.

She lives to mrr another day.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

yayyyy Nargle :unsmith:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I adopted a sweet orange boy and named him Huey a couple weeks ago. Pics incoming.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Solitair posted:

I adopted a sweet orange boy and named him Huey a couple weeks ago. Pics incoming.

:f5:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

newcatnewcatnewcat!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
hooray Nargle and Mocha!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yay Nargle and Mocha.

So uh, we had a bit of a mishap too. We took Tortiehead, one of our ferals, to get spayed last Tuesday at the cheap clinic which is over an hour away. We took her Tuesday afternoon, she had the surgery Wednesday, and then we left at like 6am Thursday to be there for pickup time. The problem is we got about 5 minutes away the clinic and we got a call from them saying that there was an issue. She escaped the trap and was running around inside the clinic and had ran and hid in the drat wall.

They finally got her contained again yesterday and we go and pick her up tomorrow morning.

She will have been away from home for 6 days at that point in addition to having gotten surgery.

I couldn't help but think 'Why can a cat get inside the wall of your clinic when you're dealing with a lot of feral and semi-feral cats on a daily basis'

The whole situation could also have been avoided if they just let us use a carrier but they have a trap-only policy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uh wat?

I'm glad it was resolved but that's a _very_ weird policy

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Here's the pic the shelter posted. I felt the desire for a large, orange cat and he was my first choice. Thankfully he proved to be a real sweetheart when I met him.

Normally cats need an adjustment period to calm down after moving to a new house. Huey didn't. He was cool with it immediately.

Placid baby.

Trying to look out the window. I keep the blinds raised a foot so he can perch on the sill now. They're all closed, of course.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

orange cats orange cats ORANGE CATS ORANGE CATS!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Solitair posted:

Here's the pic the shelter posted. I felt the desire for a large, orange cat and he was my first choice. Thankfully he proved to be a real sweetheart when I met him.

Normally cats need an adjustment period to calm down after moving to a new house. Huey didn't. He was cool with it immediately.

Placid baby.

Trying to look out the window. I keep the blinds raised a foot so he can perch on the sill now. They're all closed, of course.

HUEY

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah i got the estimate for seville's dental work and whoo thank god for insurance

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, he's awesome. Always love a cat that's just instantly at home.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Scoping out the good spots to sit.

So far the bed seems to be a favorite.

Futon too.

He loves head scratches and nuzzling.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Hi Huey! He looks so content to be home, congrats.

I'm so sorry about Rosie Mr Scoop :(

Welome home Mocha and Nargle! Now stay outta trouble!

One of my childhood cats was an all-black girl, Cimmerie (Side note: how the gently caress did my parents come up with such a great name back in the 70s!?) - she lived to be 18 or 19, and I would guess she weighed around three pounds if not less for the last several of those years, and was quite comfortable.

I caught Minna and Miiro absolutely slaying the pedestrians with cuteness again so had to investigate and...

They've really started to take an interest in the birds and things out there. And yeah, that little boy is getting to be huge compared to his sister

This is something that happens regularly now, they both go down separately for a nap, and then one of them stirs and is like "hey, why am I over here by myself", and goes and snuggles up with the other one instead.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quadpus posted:

This is something that happens regularly now, they both go down separately for a nap, and then one of them stirs and is like "hey, why am I over here by myself", and goes and snuggles up with the other one instead.

good lord

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i got the estimate for seville's dental work and whoo thank god for insurance

Solitair posted:

Placid baby.

hey Solitair heed this post and get Huey pet insurance ASAP. Trupanion has saved me literally around $9 k over the past few years.

quadpus posted:

Hi Huey! He looks so content to be home, congrats.

I'm so sorry about Rosie Mr Scoop :(

Welome home Mocha and Nargle! Now stay outta trouble!

One of my childhood cats was an all-black girl, Cimmerie (Side note: how the gently caress did my parents come up with such a great name back in the 70s!?) - she lived to be 18 or 19, and I would guess she weighed around three pounds if not less for the last several of those years, and was quite comfortable.

I caught Minna and Miiro absolutely slaying the pedestrians with cuteness again so had to investigate and...

They've really started to take an interest in the birds and things out there. And yeah, that little boy is getting to be huge compared to his sister

:swoon:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

uh wat?

I'm glad it was resolved but that's a _very_ weird policy

They're not a normal vet, basically just a low-cost spay/neuter charity that does a couple of other basic vet care things.

The clinic just absolutely does not give a poo poo that they're socialized. The first time we tried to get Bighead fixed we showed up with him in a normal carrier and told them the situation and they turned us away because he wasn't in a trap. So now we pick them up and place them in a trap to transport them which is really stupid.

They seem to have some really loving strict/inane policies in place because when we arrived to pick up Tortiehead it seemed like the natural thing to do was to let my wife in the back to try to coax her out out but nope, not allowed. Wait several more days for us to eventually do it.

The nearby vet refuses to deal with feral cats at all and the emergency vet we sometimes go to said it would be several hundred dollars just to neuter one male cat. That would be fine if it was just one cat and not like 5 that needed done.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
mocha!

huey!!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Wild EEPROM posted:

mocha!

huey!!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're not a normal vet, basically just a low-cost spay/neuter charity that does a couple of other basic vet care things.

The clinic just absolutely does not give a poo poo that they're socialized. The first time we tried to get Bighead fixed we showed up with him in a normal carrier and told them the situation and they turned us away because he wasn't in a trap. So now we pick them up and place them in a trap to transport them which is really stupid.

i can kinda see their side?

for anyone wondering the reason they want traps at all is just safer handling and transfer. most traps have a guillotine type door on one end, that is, one which can be opened by sliding it straight up. this allows them to butt that end up against another enclosure's opening, open the door, and coax the cat to go through. along similar lines there's also wire dividers they can insert through the bars of any trap, letting them temporarily partition the cat away from one end so it's safe to open and put stuff inside (food, water, etc)

the next point is that even tame housecats can turn aggressive. many years ago i got a brief glimpse of a vet's chart for my pet cat and was shocked to see they'd written down "BITER" or something like that at the top. she was a fully socialized indoor only pet who'd lived her entire life around humans. she had a little bit of attitude, but not enough for me to suspect she'd get violent

so they are probably erring on the side of caution. you might have socialized your ferals enough to handle them yourself, but i bet there's a much higher chance of such cats getting spicy with vet staff

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
This page is absolutely unreal with great cats

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah I get the context now. they're down on the trenches sorting out the Street Cats, rules are a lil different for them.

Nargle status: Leaky butt, got some puppy pads here and there. Set up a litter box right over in the closet next to her. She's eating and drinking and cleaning herself - all good signs.

Washing her favorite fuzzy rug now

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Solitair posted:

Scoping out the good spots to sit.

Lol at the one errant lick trail.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Poppy has a new favourite place, the bag nest

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

hey Solitair heed this post and get Huey pet insurance ASAP. Trupanion has saved me literally around $9 k over the past few years.

I'm shopping around for it right now. In the meantime:

I think he likes me.

I still haven't fully sorted these bookcases after the move. Huey saw an even higher space he couldn't reach from here and complained to me as if I could fix that.

He was completely well-behaved and calm at the vet.

Best spot in the house. Every morning, I wake up and feel him next to my legs.

This is where he goes when he needs space. He falls asleep there until I pet him hours later, and the cycle continues.

Him stretch.

Close-up.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

that is a mighty fine orange boy. :hmmyes:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Huey is fantastic

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BobHoward posted:

i can kinda see their side?

for anyone wondering the reason they want traps at all is just safer handling and transfer. most traps have a guillotine type door on one end, that is, one which can be opened by sliding it straight up. this allows them to butt that end up against another enclosure's opening, open the door, and coax the cat to go through. along similar lines there's also wire dividers they can insert through the bars of any trap, letting them temporarily partition the cat away from one end so it's safe to open and put stuff inside (food, water, etc)

the next point is that even tame housecats can turn aggressive. many years ago i got a brief glimpse of a vet's chart for my pet cat and was shocked to see they'd written down "BITER" or something like that at the top. she was a fully socialized indoor only pet who'd lived her entire life around humans. she had a little bit of attitude, but not enough for me to suspect she'd get violent

so they are probably erring on the side of caution. you might have socialized your ferals enough to handle them yourself, but i bet there's a much higher chance of such cats getting spicy with vet staff

It's hard not be at least somewhat angry that a 36-hour vet visit was instead six days.

The trap stuff is kinda whatever at this point but it's weird that a cat can escape confinement and have an inaccessible area to hide in. They even told us this happened before.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If it happened before they should get a contractor out to fix the wall.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the ONE time spray foam is acceptable*

*jk. dont ever use that poo poo for anything ever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Solitair posted:

I'm shopping around for it right now. In the meantime:

He was completely well-behaved and calm at the vet.

What a distinguished gentleman yessss

The reason I recommend Trupanion by the way is that they actually pay out pretty quickly- I only had one time where it took over a month for them to reimburse me, usually it's within 2 weeks. My vets (for the past 15 years now) highly recommended them to me for that reason. 5 stars.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have embrace and i didnt notice that they raise premiums as times goes on and it was far too late to cancel and get different coverage by the time i noticed. new policies for 11 year old cats are :( so they get me for about $1200/yr for both of them combined. They pulling ahead on me pretty well. I sleep better at night knowing I have the coverage but thinking about keeping it or not is what keeps me up. The coverage is good except for all the pre-existing stuff both cats had so butters dental was wholly uncovered as will be anything digestive for Milly.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Huey is amazing and insurance in the US continues to suck poo poo. Not being covered for pre-existing conditions is sheer madness. Sorry Mr. Flakey, we understand that you have a crippling skin disease that needs medication which costs, per injection, more than you've ever made in a single month, but you can't insure for that because you're already sick.

Anyway, cats:
https://i.imgur.com/BFw2GiU.mp4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah i have a friend who was getting it through her company, and they switched providers and the old provider *only* covers through companies, so now her dog's condition isn't covered, so that's loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

The weather outside is good.