Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Twerk from Home posted:

It's cheaper than a free OS on VMWare!

Microsoft tells me it's "Activated by my organization" so I guess that means it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
We made Microsoft's license auditors cry and give up, and I am proud of that fact.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Antigravitas posted:

We made Microsoft's license auditors cry and give up, and I am proud of that fact.

you sick gently caress (approving)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I work at a German university, which means that each institute is fiercely independent, and each working group inside those institutes has its own budget (via grants) and lots of licenses are for project specific hardware. Trying to audit this structure is basically impossible. They tried, spent a year on (I think) one institute out of dozens, and gave up.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Antigravitas posted:

Trying to audit this structure is basically impossible

yeah lol, soft money gonna be soft money. not my problem

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

rowkey bilbao posted:

$job is taking back our physical keys for the main entrance because they've installed a garbage iot lock that works off batteries and bluetooth, and works as a motor that rotates the key inside the existing lock.

I assume those eventually crap out in hilarious and predictable ways. that thing rules because once in the locked position it's holding the key inside the lock, so you can get a key in from the outside.

lol i posted this 3 weeks ago, and that piece of poo poo broke today

the part that rotates the key inside the lock couldn't take the torque and just plain broke.
it's a super common lock that's everywhere and people use it with normal keys no problems, just garbage

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what do you do when that happens

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

go home and get paid for not working

(or at least thats how it worked before vpns and remote desktops anyway)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yup, legally, it is my responsibility to offer my work as defined in the contract. If my employer doesn't give me work to do, for any reason, that's not my problem. I still expect to get paid, and I will get paid.

If I get locked out of the building, but I was physically there offering my work? No longer my problem, give me my money, kthxbye.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it's explicitly written into my contract that lack of work to do does not dissolve the relationship or alter any other terms

this is probably standard for full time positions in general

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what is this "contract" you speak of

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shame Boy posted:

what is this "contract" you speak of

you need to move out of florida my friend

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

My contract is a one page document that refers to a two-page document detailing my responsibilities, and a 177 page document with 7 annexes that handles everything else.

My super power: I have actually read that document and its fractal of annexes. I know what my employer contractually agreed to.
Too bad the other side knows it too, so I haven't had much conflict with my employer. :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my contract is basically covered by funktionćrloven, but also i get a week extra vacation on top of the law's 5 & iirc some other minor perks

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
got an unsolicited email from a crowdstrike rep, basically going “click this link for our annual report!”

…..are you kidding me? I don’t give a poo poo if the email is signed, just no.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more like clownstrike

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theres something extra satisfying about marking a "legit" email as spam because it sucks

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

top work from the Germans

quote:

According to Der Spiegel magazine, the videoconference was not held on a secret internal army network but on the WebEx platform.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68457087

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday that the discussion betrayed the "cunning plans" of the German armed forces, which he said had committed "a blatant self-exposure".

Sorry, I'm confused by where the "cunning" comes into this

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://cyberplace.social/@GossiTheDog/112028202387679908

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Volmarias posted:

Sorry, I'm confused by where the "cunning" comes into this

sarcastically

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WAF (wet-rear end firewall)

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Potato Salad posted:

WAF (wet-rear end firewall)

I have a co-worker who DMs me this exact phrase every time we're engaged on an Akamai WAF issue.

which is often, because Akamai sucks and we probably aren't very good at writing rules that don't trigger false positives

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol

https://lemire.me/blog/2023/03/15/precision-recall-and-why-you-shouldnt-crank-up-the-warnings-to-11/#comment-651471 posted:

Back when I worked on Windows Vista, the Windows team introduced static analysis tools that operated in conjunction with source code annotations. The vast majority of flagged issues were false positives, but the problem wasn’t just wasted time from investigating non-issues. Some manager had the brilliant idea of outsourcing all the “trivial fixes” for issues flagged by static analysis to a large IT contractor in India. You can probably guess how well that went. Novice programmers completely unfamiliar with one of the world’s most complex codebases introduced so many bugs (I wish I had statistics), which the Windows developers then had to fix, that I’m sure it would have been cheaper to leave the investigation and fixes to the original developers. The original “bugs” were mostly illusory, but the bugs introduced in the “fixes” certainly were not. (Not that I have anything against static analysis: the Vista codebase was far more robust than XP as a result. But this was definitely the wrong way to implement it.)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

37c3's youtube videos still aren't finished being manually approved btw if anyone was wondering if i'd update that post. no idea what they're doing this year they were added to their youtube account unlisted the day of but ???

if you want more of that though join us at something awful wrestling season 2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055673

030524_2
Mar 5, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 5, 2024

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
so change healthcare paid ransom and got nothing lmao?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

new buncha vmware sandbox-escape vulns, all critical: https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/03/vmware-issues-patches-for-critical-sandbox-escape-vulnerabilities/. have a good weekend! lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

great time to get off VMware, just migrate everything tomorrow and get off their licensing disaster

simple as

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah the entire company is going to poo poo as broadcom strips it for parts

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
as a former vsphere/vcloud suite api product manager, that happened when EMC acquired them

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah that's true in a way, but with broadcom it's different because they're basically corporate raiders:

in a well actually posted:

There’s no need to look at their hardware business, which is something they actually care about and invest in. This a play where they identified a company that was undervalued compared to the possible profits they could extract. They can cut development costs to the bone and jack up prices on a captive market (as they said they would in investor docs when they put the offer out.) It is the same pattern as their CA and Symantec acquisitions. They’re really good at this. They’ll get enough out to pay for the acquisition and some cash to funnel into their core business and buybacks.

Every one of those on prem is cheaper than cloud articles in the last few years is an indicator to these types that there’s profit that they’re missing out on.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
anyone ever figure out why Facebook poo poo the bed yesterday?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the incident review isn’t even public internally within Meta, so not a lot is leaking so far…

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Emergency zuck containment system, someone broke the glass

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
a recruiter from crowdstrike reached out, what's the thread's general opinion of them? im not particularly inclined to even respond, but a bit surprised that they have an office here

in dont even mean as a place to work at, just their general image.

i know i've seen them called clownstrike and "<role> @ crowdstrike a 60B company" is very cringey but i haven't actually interacted with them or their products ever

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

NFX posted:

a recruiter from crowdstrike reached out, what's the thread's general opinion of them? im not particularly inclined to even respond, but a bit surprised that they have an office here

i know i've seen them called clownstrike and "<role> @ crowdstrike a 60B company" is very cringey but i haven't actually interacted with them or their products ever

My employer switch to them (partially at my urging because at the time we were using Cylance which is dire) and it's been good so far. It doesn't generate a constant stream of false-positives or cause issues on our PCs. The sales & support people actually talked to us all normal like instead of of giving us a lot of "It'll be fine trust me" BS. I've never looked at working for them but the customer experience has been good so far.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

NFX posted:

From the outside, they're fine, they make a decent EDR, they aren't a snake oil cyber company but still have strong silicon valley vibe. Their EDR can be tricked with some effort but there is no perfect EDR. it's funny to say clownstrike dont take it personal

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

When I see someone works at Crowdstrike, I expect that they're good at their job and everything. I don't think "OMG they work at Crowdstrike!", and I also do not think "lol they work at Crowdstrike."

People call it Clownstrike because they can, it's not an actual hatred, with the possible exception of SWEs who will get mad about literally any endpoint detection deal and there's not much you can do about it. As far as I know, it's generally good software that isn't perfect (which is to say, it's software).

For what it's worth, I have a hard time thinking of _any_ organization where I say "OMG they work at _____." I guess maybe, like, NSA crypto, but even then, it depends a ton on what the actual job is and the things that come out of their mouth when we speak and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Wouldn't turn down a significant salary bump because of a meme