Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I've started commuting! Made the trip to work and back about 3 times so far. Getting back into tip top shape is hard!

Anyways, some of these spokes are popping off my rear wheel. Is that bad? I got home one day and found one lying on the ground beside the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Toalpaz posted:

I've started commuting! Made the trip to work and back about 3 times so far. Getting back into tip top shape is hard!

Anyways, some of these spokes are popping off my rear wheel. Is that bad? I got home one day and found one lying on the ground beside the tire.

Totally normal. Once you lose 36 of them it will stop on its own.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's not ideal and can make a mess but moulting season is part of bike ownership

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You shouldn’t be riding on a spoke for longer than it takes to get to a bike shop, and you shouldn’t be breaking multiple spokes at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> since that requires lugging the bike into and out of my apartment

Do you have secure parking for this other bike?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a groupset out there that you could run a 28t direct mount chainring up front, a 11-52 cassette in the back, and then brifters with hydros that hook up to a 4-piston brake caliper?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

kimbo305 posted:

> since that requires lugging the bike into and out of my apartment

Do you have secure parking for this other bike?

Yeah I have a garage that I used to lock the bike in, but the trainer and stuff is in my apartment since I like to watch TV while biking :kiddo:

I think if I got a nice bike I'd put the RC120 in the garage so it's easy to use for errands and put the nice bike on the trainer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Is there a groupset out there that you could run a 28t direct mount chainring up front, a 11-52 cassette in the back, and then brifters with hydros that hook up to a 4-piston brake caliper?

The crank/chainring is irrelevant since you could mount up anything really.

For the brifter with a 4 piston caliper, yes, SRAM has some.
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/compatibility-map/mtb-and-road-hydraulic-disc-brake-lever-and-caliper-compatibility.pdf
eTap AXS (12 speed) is compatible with the 4 piston Levels and g2 brakes.
Then you’d just pair it with a SRAM MTB RD.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's interesting, not much of a wireless shifting guy, but the road and mountain wireless systems are compatible? I take it the Red/Rival/etc mechanicals would need a ratio changing device inline to work with like eagle GX or whatever?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The new apex 12s mechanical will shift a mtb derailleur, also axs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still researching endurance bikes and the argon krypton looks really good? no suspension stuff like the domane/roubaix but a touch lighter, priced well and nice geo that will probably work better for me than the race like focus cayo i was riding

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2024

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Some sort of hardtaily/flatbarish/gravely but mostly hybridy thing then. I’m the accessibility coordinator for the forest preserves,so I kinda have to get to know our (bike) trails and need something to get out there on.

Grabbed a Giant Sedona LX for $40 off Facebook. We'll see what it really needs after a tuneup, but for that price I have a decent amount left for fixing whatever sucks.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

still researching endurance bikes and the argon krypton looks really good? no suspension stuff like the domane/roubaix but a touch lighter, priced well and nice geo that will probably work better for me than the race like focus cayo i was riding

Canyon Endurace?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Safety question: I've got QR skewers holding in 203mm rotors with 4 piston downhill racing brakes. Technically this is within the manufacturer's spec for the fork, but am I asking for it with this setup? I was going down a 50% gravel grade and this popped into my head. I would love through axles but I'd need a new fork and wheel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
QR dropouts plus disc brakes is an engineering nightmare, but you’ll be all right if you have decent skewers that are tightened properly and checked before your ride.

Bigger rotors are actually slightly less bad here. The axle experiences less of an ejecting force for a given braking force.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Think If I was shopping I'd look at that or the new Giant Defy

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

QR dropouts plus disc brakes is an engineering nightmare, but you’ll be all right if you have decent skewers that are tightened properly and checked before your ride.

Bigger rotors are actually slightly less bad here. The axle experiences less of an ejecting force for a given braking force.

That's interesting. I have some DT swiss ratcheting skewers I could use but I find them very mysterious how tight to do them up. QRs are easy enough using the "did it bruise your hand a little" test. I think my QR skewers are nameless ones though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the cheap, new, external-cam QR skewers that can’t get to hand‐bruising tightness that do people in. Those and the keyed, leverless systems that exist for antitheft purposes. Those should only be used on wheels with rim brakes.

In principle the “lawyer lips” that modern forks have, the ones that make quick removal not actually quick, those are supposed to to prevent catastrophe if the lever is flipped open in transit and you don’t notice. Do they work? Try not to find out.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

Safety question: I've got QR skewers holding in 203mm rotors with 4 piston downhill racing brakes. Technically this is within the manufacturer's spec for the fork, but am I asking for it with this setup? I was going down a 50% gravel grade and this popped into my head. I would love through axles but I'd need a new fork and wheel.

It's fine (but also I'm p sure you don't mean 50% grade)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao what they made an Airtag mount for inside the tyre.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Platystemon posted:

lmao what they made an Airtag mount for inside the tyre.

If that works ok, that makes sense. Other airtag mounts would be easy enough for a bike thief to rip off if they scanned the bike for an airtag because they look generally obvious enough since they have to be able to get their signal out (so nothing inside the frame). That would definitely deter a casual bike thief who knows enough to check for a tracking device because they'd either not be able to find it, or if they knew to check the tire, not want to spend the time or have the tools to do what they need to do to get it out.

You need a fat loving tire with enough air pressure for that though.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 3, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bicievino posted:

It's fine (but also I'm p sure you don't mean 50% grade)

Well do you remember earlier I was complaining that my 30x52 drivetrain isn't low enough?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Salt Fish posted:

We run a 225 mm rotor on the front of a tandem with hydraulic brakes and Quick release front and rear. we are often braking from 40mph+ so I push these thoughts out of my head.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If anyone knows of a really really really steep (bike safe) road or trail in western Washington I will attempt to bike up it and post a report here. I am NOT afraid of cougars and I've run out of suggestions from my non-biking friends and family.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

If anyone knows of a really really really steep (bike safe) road or trail in western Washington I will attempt to bike up it and post a report here. I am NOT afraid of cougars and I've run out of suggestions from my non-biking friends and family.

heart attack hill in redmond

it's ridable but only just

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

heart attack hill in redmond

it's ridable but only just

Easy hill, already part of my most common training ride, which is essentially the stinky spoke route. Up tolt pipeline, down to the watershed, through to the PSE trail and back in a big circle. The other end of the tolt pipeline has a much steeper hill. Go to the dead end signs, climb the barrier, and then ride down (don't die) into Blyth park. Its so steep that it has pedestrian switchbacks at the top. I don't know what grade it is, or what any grade is, but so far that's the steepest patch of gravel I've been on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

Easy hill, already part of my most common training ride, which is essentially the stinky spoke route. Up tolt pipeline, down to the watershed, through to the PSE trail and back in a big circle. The other end of the tolt pipeline has a much steeper hill. Go to the dead end signs, climb the barrier, and then ride down (don't die) into Blyth park. Its so steep that it has pedestrian switchbacks at the top. I don't know what grade it is, or what any grade is, but so far that's the steepest patch of gravel I've been on.

:eyepop:

i love the stinky spoke, when i do the route it's almost 50mi by the time i get back to everett

i have yet to try the route through blyth park

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

2 hours went by in a flash trying to change my tires. I don't know how the park tool guys do it in thirty seconds on camera. The air nipple wasn't aligned properly on the last tire - so I have to redo it tomorrow. :(((((

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Toalpaz posted:

2 hours went by in a flash trying to change my tires. I don't know how the park tool guys do it in thirty seconds on camera. The air nipple wasn't aligned properly on the last tire - so I have to redo it tomorrow. :(((((

Once you do it enough times and realize you don't have to be as gentle as you thought you had to, you can do it pretty quick.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We blew a tire on the road for the first time when we took the Fairlights out for their first trip, glass on the path, and it was the one time I didn’t bring my tools and a tube. Ended up riding 9 miles back to the car and driving out to pick my wife and her bike up. Those are tubed and it turns out I’ve probably had similar punctures on the tubeless tires on my other bikes a hundred times that just ended up sealing and not being noticed.

Wondering now if I should just set the Fairlights up for tubeless (they have Hope 20FIVE wheels that are already taped), or if I should just stick with tubed for ease of changes. They’re for touring and I want to keep things as simple as possible but it’s hard to argue with tubeless puncture self sealing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hoisted my bike not entirely over a thornbush like an idiot last week, trying to cross a swollen creek.

It has a half dozen places where the sealant did its job.

Tubeless stays winning.

e: “Trying” is misleading because I did get over the creek, it’s just that there was a ford upstream a short ways that I crossed much more easily on the way back. When the creek is low, it’s worse than the thornbush ford, but it turns out that it’s rock-hoppable even with high water.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 4, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tubeless + bacon strips and a backup tube imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dynaplug > bacon

Apr 7, 2003

I do have a Dynaplug tool but I've never had to use it

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
As someone who did road tubeless years ago, I have a love/hate relationship with tubeless.

I'm assuming that it's less of a pain in the rear end nowadays?

I have been out of the bicycle game for ages so I don't know what's going on anymore and am using this thread to try to dip my feet back in before I rebuild a frame that I've been meaning to build for years.

Looking at my old pedalroom page, oh my god has it been that long?

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1994-performance-r-204-di2-22182

Platystemon posted:

Dynaplug > bacon

I just looked at what that is and yo that's rad.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 4, 2024

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

How do you get the air in the tire without a tube? It'd just leak out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toalpaz posted:

Not if you seal the spoke holes with tape and use impermeable tires that fit well against the rim.

Car tires haven’t used inner tubes probably within your lifetime. Car‐sized nner tubes are now used only for recreation on the water.

Bicycles generally also require sealant to make them acceptably airtight, because the engineering and manufacturing consistency is kind of bad.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Toalpaz posted:

Tubeless tires use a bead on the tire similar to what cars use to "hook" the tire into the rim to provide a seal.

Rims made for tubeless tires either have no spoke holes, or run a liner (similar to standard rim tape, but thicker) to seal the spoke holes to prevent air leakage.

Tubeless tires are harder to take off and put on (due to the bead), but the idea is that if you're running tubeless in conjunction with a liquid sealant to seal any punctures, you won't have to remove the tire other than to clean/replace the sealant or replace the tire entirely.

Apr 7, 2003

We did our first ride today with the Terravail Ramparts on our gravel bikes and the tire rode pretty good. Also I screwed my elbow up mounting them and have bursitis now. Many sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Tubeless tires are harder to take off and put on (due to the bead), but the idea is that if you're running tubeless in conjunction with a liquid sealant to seal any punctures, you won't have to remove the tire other than to clean/replace the sealant or replace the tire entirely.

Or to replace the battery in the Airtag. :xd: