Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

Most Americans are stupid and uninterested in paying any attention to politics, and therefore easy marks for pundits and media who spread those ideas. The economy is because of business and business likes Republicans (because Republicans cut taxes and reduce regulations) and therefore businesses and media businesses talk all the time about how Republicans are better for the economy and that just gets absorbed as Conventional Wisdom.

For those same reasons - Americans being stupid and uninterested in paying attention to politics - most Americans believe that Republicans are the same as they were in 1958 and don't see the disconnect between the outright racist fascist kleptocrats running things and the only subtly racist, subtly fascist politicians of their youth like Eisenhower and Reagan.

Apparently it's worse, Americans aren't just uninterested, we actively misremember the past to line up with "conventional wisdom".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-leads-biden-economy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SaTaMaS posted:

Apparently it's worse, Americans aren't just uninterested, we actively misremember the past to line up with "conventional wisdom".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-leads-biden-economy/

Personally I'm real psyched for half of voters thinking Donald Trump isn't responsible for the overturn of Roe v Wade.

And only 57% of the respondents said that the overturning of Roe was a bad thing in the first place (43% said it was a good thing).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally I'm real psyched for half of voters thinking Donald Trump isn't responsible for the overturn of Roe v Wade.

And only 57% of the respondents said that the overturning of Roe was a bad thing in the first place (43% said it was a good thing).

TBQH, when Trump says “I was responsible for X”, my instinct is to believe that he was not, in fact, responsible for X.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
An interesting wrinkle in that regard is Trump himself bragging about his great work overturning it (meanwhile claiming, somehow, that everyone loved it and wanted it gone). On the one hand you’d think that’d convince people to blame the idiot, on the other hand, the guy is a known liar to an almost stupendous degree, so if you truly don’t know the influence he’s had on the SCOTUS of the past few years, but you know he’s a liar…

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I
Serious question : does anyone under the age of 30 answer pollsters at all?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ynglaur posted:

I

I can answer this question because I’m over 30

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

If only there was a thread where people could chat about general election issues. Too bad we don't have one/

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009
According to that poll, the age group most happy about overturning Roe and least supportive of IVF is the group under 30.

In addition, this poll has Biden losing the olds bigly, as opposed to the other doom poll where he is winning them handily. Seriously, just ignore them and look at how Trump is constantly underperforming his primaries.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Ynglaur posted:

I

to answer your question with two questions: when's the last time you answered an unsolicited phone call, noting that political polling is an industry based on cold-calling random people, and what precisely do you think the demographic willing to randomly answer unsolicited phone calls and chat for 20 minutes looks like

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I recently got a survey text and I like surveys so I started filling it out, but then somewhere in the middle it was clearly a push poll and I closed out.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KingaSlipek posted:

According to that poll, the age group most happy about overturning Roe and least supportive of IVF is the group under 30.

Really? This is surprising to me. Any idea why?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Small White Dragon posted:

Prolly cause the methodology is flawed, if I had to speculate

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ynglaur posted:

I

Years ago I got a details economics survey (yes it was legit), but it started running over my lunch hour and I wanted to be done so I accidentally told them I don't have a savings account.
That has colored my view of surveys ever since.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Small White Dragon posted:

The same reason the polls are showing under 30 suddenly swinging to become loyal Republican voters, and black people swinging 30 points towards Trump.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I think getting rid of Roe was great. It means that the states have to put their money where their mouth is. The red states were constantly trying to push the envelope and make it harder and harder to get an abortion
Now they are on the defensive and have to defend each mother who has to have a dead baby, every little girl having her rapist dad's kid and every mother that dies from a bad pregnancy. They have to some how jibe IVF and life and conception. Same number of abortions take place.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jesus III posted:

I think getting rid of Roe was great.

I'm sure the women jailed for abortions and miscarriages would disagree

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm sure the women jailed for abortions and miscarriages would disagree

Have any been jailed yet? Google it for me.

I Googled it myself. Guardian says 61. I didn't read the article. I was thinking this is good. It will force the country to face what it really wants.

I don't think most people want women jailed,. We'll see if forced births and women in jail is what those states want. I'd don't think they do and I'd think pushing the issue is going to get the country to a real consensus instead of the 50 years of fighting we've been having.

Jesus III fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 4, 2024

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I liked the first Jesus better.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jesus III posted:

I Googled it myself. Guardian says 61. I didn't read the article. I was thinking this is good. It will force the country to face what it really wants.

I don't think most people want women jailed,. We'll see if forced births and women in jail is what those states want. I'd don't think they do and I'd think pushing the issue is going to get the country to a real consensus instead of the 50 years of fighting we've been having.

You're literally calling a decision that has resulted in women being jailed and has forced child rape victims to have their rapist's baby "good". It's disgusting to say the overturn of Roe was good.

And Roe V Wade was the only time in history that there has actually been any kind of consensus. Now, a consensus is possibly forever out of reach

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jesus III posted:

I think getting rid of Roe was great. It means that the states have to put their money where their mouth is. The red states were constantly trying to push the envelope and make it harder and harder to get an abortion
Now they are on the defensive and have to defend each mother who has to have a dead baby, every little girl having her rapist dad's kid and every mother that dies from a bad pregnancy. They have to some how jibe IVF and life and conception. Same number of abortions take place.

Sure is great how those mothers and dead babies are just a means to an end. Omelettes and eggs, I guess.

Jesus Christ, read what you posted then loving delete it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ynglaur posted:

I

Some of us millennials are in our early forties and lmao if you think I will ever answer an unknown caller

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jesus III posted:

Thank you for this great example of accelerationism in practice

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Sure is great how those mothers and dead babies are just a means to an end. Omelettes and eggs, I guess.

Jesus Christ, read what you posted then loving delete it.

There's 170 million women in the US. Think of them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Take your own advice.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

mutata posted:

I liked the first Jesus better.

Sequels rarely capture what was good about the original

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jesus III posted:

There's 170 million women in the US. Think of them.

So...lives demonstrably worse for many, generally unchanged for some, and I'm supposed to feel happy that eventually, maybe, "good" things might happen from this based on nothing but your faith that it will?

Saying that the number of abortions is largely unchanged nationally doesn't mean it hasn't gotten harder and more expensive for many women to get one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A Supreme Court decision could come Monday in a case about barring Trump from the 2024 ballot

quote:

A Supreme Court decision could come as soon as Monday in the case about whether former President Donald Trump can be kicked off the ballot over his efforts to undo his defeat in the 2020 election.

Trump is challenging a groundbreaking decision by the Colorado Supreme Court that said he is disqualified from being president again and ineligible for the state’s primary, which is Tuesday.

The resolution of the case on Monday, a day before Super Tuesday contests in 16 states, would remove uncertainty about whether votes for Trump, the leading Republican candidate for president, will ultimately count. Both sides had requested fast work by the court, which heard arguments less than a month ago, on Feb. 8,

The Colorado court was the first to invoke a post-Civil War constitutional provision aimed at preventing those who “engaged in insurrection” from holding office. Trump also has since been barred from primary ballot in Illinois and Maine, though both decisions, along with Colorado’s, are on hold pending the outcome of the Supreme Court case.

The Supreme Court has until now never ruled on the provision, Section 3 of the 14th amendment.

The court indicated Sunday there will be at least one case decided Monday, adhering to its custom of not saying which one. But it also departed from its usual practice in some respects, heightening the expectation that it’s the Trump ballot case that will be handed down.

Except for when the end of the term nears in late June, the court almost always issues decisions on days when the justices are scheduled to take the bench. But the next scheduled court day isn’t until March 15. And apart from during the coronavirus pandemic when the court was closed, the justices almost always read summaries of their opinions in the courtroom. They won’t be there Monday.

Any opinions will post on the court’s website beginning just after 10 a.m. EST Monday.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jesus III posted:

“It’s great actually that women don’t have bodily autonomy!”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jesus III posted:

That....sure is some logic.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

So...lives demonstrably worse for many, generally unchanged for some, and I'm supposed to feel happy that eventually, maybe, "good" things might happen from this based on nothing but your faith that it will?

Saying that the number of abortions is largely unchanged nationally doesn't mean it hasn't gotten harder and more expensive for many women to get one.

I can't determine how you feel, but I bet you feel pretty good about how this is forcing Trump to deal with it, inaddition to his legal troubles.

Plus women know he isn't going to help them at all. All the rich white ladies who could comfortably imagine that they were safe voting Republican realized, no under Trump you are not going to get your IVF. I wonder if they still feel safe voting Republican?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trump is pro-IVF, I thought. Didn’t he make a bunch of noise about that?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

whydirt posted:

“It’s great actually that women don’t have bodily autonomy!”

Hyperbole. Same number of abortions happened in the year since Roe's end. Did the blue states just pick up the slack to keep it even?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jesus III posted:

Hyperbole. Same number of abortions happened in the year since Roe's end. Did the blue states just pick up the slack to keep it even?

So you are saying that every red state woman who wanted an abortion was able to get one?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jesus III posted:

...yes? What the gently caress do you think happened? People started having to travel more than they already did, making a fraught process harder.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

whydirt posted:

So you are saying that every red state woman who wanted an abortion was able to get one?

No, In fact I think before Roe died all the Red states had just figured out the magic ticket to end abortion : the Texas bounty law. There weren't going to be any abortions there anyway.

Dobbs came after, right? So didn't the end of Roe actually protect abortion in some states when their state courts looked at it? Like Kansas? I hate looking it up on the phone.

Any now Dobbs is forcing the Red states to look at personhood. Do they reaaaaally want to end IVF? Birth control? Some crazies do, most women don't.

Jesus III fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 4, 2024

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

...yes? What the gently caress do you think happened? People started having to travel more than they already did, making a fraught process harder.

Thank God the right to travel is allowed in the US.

Please donate to charities that help poor women get the health care they need.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Jesus III posted:

I hate looking it up on the phone.

ok, boomer

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

duodenum posted:

ok, boomer

I wish!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Time after time we’ve watched prominent republicans Pooh-pooh doing something about a serious problem until it happens to them and then they act outraged that someone could allow something like this to happen.

That’s about the entirety of how much ending roe is forcing red states to reevaluate. I.e. not at all except for the few personally affected by it.

Hope is not a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Then what was the plan? Abortion was already going to be over in red states.

I'm not hoping anything. Didn't Florida cancel a bill giving embryos personhood? Dobbs is seeming like a dog catching the bush moment.

We'll see after the 2024 elections. I'll panic after that.

Jesus III fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 4, 2024