Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I bought what I thought was a copy of Stardew Valley at Target for the WiiU that had a digital code on it for one of my nephew's Christmas presents. He didn't try it for over a month, but they couldn't install it when he did try it because the code wasn't on the card I bought, but the receipt I had already shredded. I just shrugged and said I don't care, that dude deserves more of my money. I'll probably buy it for him again and will still consider that money going to someone who earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Grundulum posted:

On a non-Stardew note, I can’t recall Fae Farm ever being discussed in this thread. It’s another farming/village game, but based on my wife’s run through the demo it has a lot of QoL improvements over the Switch implementation of Stardew. Has anyone here tried the full version?

Judging by the way nobody ever replies when the game gets brought up, I suspect it doesn’t have much staying power.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yep I think my wife and I have six copies between us.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Filox posted:

I bought it on PC and XBox, plus a copy for my sister who gave up very early when she couldn't figure out you need to go to bed.

I passed out on my first day too, because I'm pretty sure they don't teach you that up front.

Every time I've passed out since then was on purpose finishing caves and such.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From lack of energy or not going to bed before 2am?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Grundulum posted:

On a non-Stardew note, I can’t recall Fae Farm ever being discussed in this thread. It’s another farming/village game, but based on my wife’s run through the demo it has a lot of QoL improvements over the Switch implementation of Stardew. Has anyone here tried the full version?

It's buggy as hell, the writing is dire, and the balance is downright wacky. But the mechanics show promise! It's bargain bin rune factory and you should pay that kind of money for it (absolutely not full price).

Neat stuff:
-You're capped on how much stuff you can sell in a day, which I found to be interesting to work around. It's also balanced such that getting a big pile of money isn't that useful.

-Easy but still involved fishing.

-You can jump all over the environment and find silly routes across town. You could probably get out of bounds easily but I didn't try. Walking to places never got boring. You find most of your crafting recipes this way, too.

-Fae realm as an alternate farm is neat. It's like unlocking ginger island halfway through the game, I guess?

-Tool usage is simplified. Most tools are contextual A presses (mining, axe), and you switch over to tools that need aiming. A contextual button appears when a potion or food item is appropriate (healing at low health, etc).

-The devs are releasing the dlc for free, I think because they know the screwed the pooch. That said...

Bad:
-It seems like they built the game in an MMO engine, ineptly. The game world literally cannot pause, even if you pause the clock by opening a menu. It gets weird.

-Tons of bugs related to animal care. Some days cows will just refuse to eat because their trough is too full. Bunnies will aggressively warp across the farm to receive pets if you press the action button to do something else. I once had a bunny warp me back to the farm while I was talking to a villager across town.

-plot is real dumb and suddenly just ends. No villager interactions matter and many are busted. Get ready for your hubby-to-be to start sharpening his axe during the wedding, or not show up at all.

-Contextual tool use can be finicky, especially after you unlock abilities that cost precious mp. Sometimes you want to beg the game to stop helping.

-You don't buy new seeds, you buy more of your old seeds and transform them into new crops with magic fertilizer. It was never not dumb to have to do this.

-The game will not show you what items you need to unlock something until you've touched them, which makes planning ahead really difficult. Festival items all require obscene numbers of flowers and tree fruit, by the way, that's what that number is. Get to crossbreeding early!

In all, my gf and I found the game hilarious to watch but tedious to 100%, mainly because I realized tree crossbreeding was a mechanic way too late. It would probably make a good lp but I'm not set up for that.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Zesty posted:

From lack of energy or not going to bed before 2am?
Both, sort of.

It was one farm where I was trying to finish the caves as fast as possible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I enjoyed Fae Farm well enough, but not enough that I could recommend it full price. I think they patched some of the worst bugs, but NPC and quest interactions are still weird and unintuitive and not all that interesting. They mostly spout a handful of generic lines, and the marriable ones can invite you on a series of dates that are kind of like heart events.

You unlock more farms as the plot progresses, and you can unlock fast travel to get between them pretty fast, but I imagine that's kind of annoying for multiplayer since you'll be stuck with only the first two for a while, and it gets annoying in single player because each farm has its own set of animals and you have to visit all of them each day to get your animal goods.

I mean, it's by no means terrible and it does have some interesting ideas, but it's lacking whatever magic Stardew Valley has.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Not tuttutting a minor derail, but if you're looking for a place to talk about this kind of thing, the Life Sims thread is the way to go and isn't necessarily easy to find when you don't know it exists.

There's also a Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons thread and a My Time at Portia / Sandrock for other specific games/series.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

-Tons of bugs related to animal care. Some days cows will just refuse to eat because their trough is too full. Bunnies will aggressively warp across the farm to receive pets if you press the action button to do something else. I once had a bunny warp me back to the farm while I was talking to a villager across town.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
I believe there's now a demo for Fae Farm on the eshop if you have a Switch.

I would highly recommend trying out the demo before buying the game. If you do decide to buy, definitely wait for a sale. Don't pay full price like I did. (I even pre-ordered.) :negative:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
if a bunny suddenly appeared or I suddenly appeared at a bunny's side and it was demanding pets, I'd pet the bunny. for my health.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

I bought what I thought was a copy of Stardew Valley at Target for the WiiU that had a digital code on it for one of my nephew's Christmas presents. He didn't try it for over a month, but they couldn't install it when he did try it because the code wasn't on the card I bought, but the receipt I had already shredded. I just shrugged and said I don't care, that dude deserves more of my money. I'll probably buy it for him again and will still consider that money going to someone who earned it.

Real curious what you actually bought. Boring answer is the Switch version though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Real curious what you actually bought. Boring answer is the Switch version though.

It might have been for the Switch. I stopped paying attention to what Nintendo names their consoles. I guess whatever the newest console is is what I bought it for.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Just to throw a wrench in this, I love Stardew on the Switch and I keep doing Beach Islands or whatever it’s called.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

1.6?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

March 19th

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zesty posted:

March 19th

Thank you

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zesty posted:

March 19th

Console and mobile “at a later date.”

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Haven’t seen this article posted

https://www.polygon.com/24087605/stardew-valley-1-6-update-concert-series-haunted-chocolatier

Highlights:
- ConcernedApe has the correct opinion that Dance of the Moonlight Jellies is probably his favourite track
- 1.6 is much bigger than what’s been teased, but more focused on the valley
- he’ll probably never stop making updates
- Haunted Chocolatier has been on pause for the 1.6 update

Apparently one of the changes in 1.6 is fixing grandpa’s bed

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

webmeister posted:

Apparently one of the changes in 1.6 is fixing grandpa’s bed

oh you know there's gonna be a mod for that fifteen minutes after the update goes live

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

webmeister posted:

- 1.6 is much bigger than what’s been teased, but more focused on the valley
Son of a bitch! :neckbeard:

webmeister posted:

- he’ll probably never stop making updates

Son of a bitch! :holy:

webmeister posted:

- Haunted Chocolatier has been on pause for the 1.6 update

Son of a bitch! :mad:

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

The version of Moonlight Jellies he played on acousic guitar is lovely if you haven't heard it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0_o4aXsfk

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
The seasons concert is really good. I recommend it if you can still score tickets in your area.

Seems like ConcernedApe is showing up to most of the shows too. Must be pretty rad to listen to the tunes you composed years ago and then seeing folks of all ages enjoy more symphonic arrangements.

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021
Officially only two weeks until 1.6!

Maybe the wait will go by faster if I hold my breath the whole time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Can anybody recommend me a doctor who will put me in a medically-induced coma? Preferably in the continental US.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pththya-lyi posted:

Can anybody recommend me a doctor who will put me in a medically-induced coma? Preferably in the continental US.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
can't wait for 1.7

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

can't wait for 1.7

Personally I think 1.8 is when the game is really gonna shine.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

TurnipFritter posted:

oh you know there's gonna be a mod for that fifteen minutes after the update goes live

There's dozens already, so much effort to fix something you look at for a few seconds in the intro makes me irrational happy

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I just started playing with someone IRL, are there any disadvantaged to playing couch co-op? About half-way through summer and it just looks like there's no draw-backs, you just have double the manpower every day

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Time keeps running when you're paused, and you don't get the normal dungeon time dilation so you're unlikely to get to the bottom of the desert cavern without 'cheating'.

But, you get more manpower and you can slowly recover stamina by standing in bed (very useful in the first few days), so overall probably better.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tampa Bae posted:

I just started playing with someone IRL, are there any disadvantaged to playing couch co-op? About half-way through summer and it just looks like there's no draw-backs, you just have double the manpower every day

In single player, time stops in cutscenes and menus, and slows down in the mines (and caves). You don't get that in multiplayer, time just continously advances for all players.

Otherwise, nope. There's some menu options to reduce your income if you feel like the game is going too easy, but no forced drawbacks.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apart from the cutscenes, fishing might be the biggest difference. In single player time is paused once you are in the minigame, meaning you can catch waay more fish in one day.

It is also very easy to forget as you're standing at the shop, deciding which and hjow many crops to buy and the time just keeps ticking

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like Time Stops in Multiplayer mod.

It pauses the game when the game would normally pause for someone. Cutscenes and such. But there are some odd behaviors. As long as you’re not trying to exploit it to cheat, it feels good.

Money is WAY easy to get with two people though. You might want to drop the values of goods to 75 or 50%. You can set that when starting a playthrough.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1767242935018684805

:toot:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

loving game changer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sweet now I can repurpose the apple and pomegranate trees I rush to plant for a year one community center.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
dude… hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Great change already, I'm excited for both the new stuff the patch brings, as well as the QoL changes we will get.