Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ohtani has a +5 career DRS, so "beast" is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Defense is overrated

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like Soto is going to have an incredible season this year and he's going to love NY and we're going to love him and then Boras will put him on like the Angels next year for 600 million and everyone will be miserable.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I feel like Soto is going to have an incredible season this year and he's going to love NY and we're going to love him and then Boras will put him on like the Angels next year for 600 million and everyone will be miserable.

He'll stay in New York, just not with the Yankees.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

I don't think Cohen is going to go after him tbh. There is a reason he didn't go after Judge.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I like how this is Boras just placing a player on a team rather than the result of any agency on the part of Juan Soto or say, the New York Yankees

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I like how this is Boras just placing a player on a team rather than the result of any agency on the part of Juan Soto or say, the New York Yankees

Boras has a history of putting players in bad situations to get the biggest contract. See Rod, A.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Soto's a big mama's boy and made it seemed like he'd prefer to play on the east coast when he was on the Padres. He's not going to let Boras bully him to the highest bidder.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
A-Rod would have gone for the highest possible deal even if Scott Boras sold aluminum siding

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Boras has a history of putting players in bad situations to get the biggest contract. See Rod, A.
The most famous agent in the sport who represents a ton of players has a history of doing Thing X, such as that time he did it 23 years ago

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The most famous agent in the sport who represents a ton of players has a history of doing Thing X, such as that time he did it 23 years ago

Baseball agents for the most part seem to do a pretty good job other than whoever is giving Braves' players advice. Boras is more about himself than his clients imo, there is a reason he has seats for the Angels where he's literally in frame on every pitch lol. He's an egomaniac. I enjoyed seeing him get embarrassed this offseason by having to take lower deals for a bunch of players. Hopefully he loses some of these clients.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if he does this bad thing a lot more than other agents then one would think you'd cite a few more recent examples than literally 2 decades ago

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

if he does this bad thing a lot more than other agents then one would think you'd cite a few more recent examples than literally 2 decades ago

There are other examples. Kris Bryant and Boegarts come to mind recently. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He's an insufferable rear end in a top hat lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's nice to have at least one insufferable rear end in a top hat on the players' side

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
If there’s one thing I hate it’s insufferable assholes

Now excuse me while I log on to the Something Awful dot com forums

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think if he had a well established rep of bullying players into teams they don't want to play on for his own enrichment, Boras wouldn't be the most popular agent among players

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
e: nah not gonna troll nvm

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

There are other examples. Kris Bryant and Boegarts come to mind recently. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He's an insufferable rear end in a top hat lol.

Scott Boras has been almost certainly the biggest boon to player compensation since Marvin Miller (especially after Don Fehr and then Scott Weiner kept giving up concessions in CBA negotiations) and he should be the executive director of the MLBPA.

Bryant went to the Rockies because the Cubs low-balled him and Colorado had money to spend.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In his first three spring games Ohtani is sporting a 2.207 OPS

Between that and Yamamoto's debut 2 innings, I've seen all spring training I need to. Can we start the season now?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't understand how you can be pro-player and simultaneously think that Scott Boras is what's wrong with the game

Like he's probably an rear end in a top hat in real life and he's certainly a capitalist out to get more for himself but he does that by getting more from the much, much worse owners for some of the best players in the game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Bryant went to the Rockies because the Cubs low-balled him and Colorado had money to spend.

KB hadn't signed prior to the lockout and once it was over was desperate to just get some kind of deal done, meanwhile the Rockies are run by loving morons who paid to get rid of Arenado on the premise they'd extend Story then let Story walk anyway, and were looking for anybody to sign who they could spin as the next big Colorado superstar to assuage their apoplectic fanbase. The result is they offered KB well above what his market was and KB was happy to take it without any real caveats.

And honestly I'd argue Colorado has more to whine about than KB does, like yeah he's shackled to a team that ain't winning poo poo but Colorado has so far gotten just 122 games and a 93 wRC+ out of KB since he signed and they're still on the hook for 5/136 with him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

more falafel please posted:

I don't understand how you can be pro-player and simultaneously think that Scott Boras is what's wrong with the game

Like he's probably an rear end in a top hat in real life and he's certainly a capitalist out to get more for himself but he does that by getting more from the much, much worse owners for some of the best players in the game

Do you think he did a good job for Bellinger, Chapman, Snell and Monty this offseason? Throw JD Martinez in there too.

I don't think he's "what is wrong with the game" I just think he's more out there for himself than for his clients.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 4, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Do you think he did a good job for Bellinger, Chapman, Snell and Monty this offseason? Throw JD Martinez in there too.

I don't think he's "what is wrong with the game" I just think he's more out there for himself than for his clients.

Boras clearly didn't anticipate the RSN bubble imploding so quickly and brutally. That made teams afraid to spend this offseason.

Edit: Scott Boras also has an estimated net worth of anywhere between $400 - $500 million. He's well beyond needing commissions to pad his wallet. His job is to get the best deals for his clients, because a rising tide lifts all boats. As salary numbers go up, more players get paid for the value they bring to the sport.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 4, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Is this Boras being bad at his job or is this a group a players that everyone knows each have major risk factors?

People keep citing Bellinger Chapman Snell Montgomery as evidence Boras overplayed his hand but the same people were all saying how flawed each of these guys is at the start of the winter.

And JD Martinez took a one year deal last year too. He’s a 36 year old DH, he’s just at that point in his career now.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 4, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Is this Boras being bad at his job or is this a group a players that everyone knows each have major risk factors?

People keep citing Bellinger Chapman Snell Montgomery as evidence Boras overplayed his hand but the same people were all saying how flawed each of these guys is at the start of the winter.

And JD Martinez took a one year deal last year too. He’s just at that point in his career now.

The Bellinger thing, especially, was wild. Like, yeah, he wanted a megadeal, but he was terrible in his last few years with the Dodgers. Then he has a resurrection season and takes to playing a second position really wild and wins Comeback Player of the Year ... but I don't blame teams for not wanting to give him a 7 / 200 deal or something, given the extreme possibility he turns back into a pumpkin.

bawfuls posted:

And JD Martinez took a one year deal last year too. He’s a 36 year old DH, he’s just at that point in his career now.

Even before his last contract, when he was still pretending to be a catcher, it was obvious to anyone with two working eyes that his knees were beyond shot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bellinger and Chapman signed deals worth 10s of millions of dollars with opt outs almost every year, that's pretty good. For a guy like Bellinger that is a good deal if he plays at the level he did last season he stands to make even more money, it's simultaneously a good deal for the Cubs cause 3/80 isn't gonna limit them that much. He also seemed to really enjoy playing for the Cubs so he even ended up back on a team he wanted to be with.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i'm confused as to how a-rod was ever in a bad situation. the rangers weren't good, but he still won mvp his last year there.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mcmagic posted:

It's a poo poo market and all four of those guys (I'm not gonna throw JDM in there because he's decidedly mid-tier) have significant risks. Snell is probably never gonna give you more than the 180 IP he had last year, Monty has looked amazing but the strikeout rate is down and he hasn't proven he can stick around. He's also 31. Bellinger got a good "prove it" pillow contract, he's making 30 million to prove he's worth more than that, same with Chapman.

He also got a 33 year old Altuve a 125MM 5-year extension, it's not just FA.

Boras has been good enough that players signing for anything other than an extreme overpay is seen as a "failure" which honestly speaks to what he's done.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bellinger had a great 2023 but was coming off three down injury-prone years, and his bounce back came with some really funky batted ball data that is partially driven by a change in approach but also frankly signals he was lucky as gently caress last year and will likely regress unless he starts hitting the ball harder.

Chapman has been a consistently above average hitter but he whiffs at Javy Baez levels and his out of zone swing rates suggest he's not going to age well as a hitter. The last two seasons his glove has also gone from "best in class" to merely above average, and that's not expected to reverse in his 30's.

Snell won the Cy but also walked a ridiculous 5 BB/9 last year and his lack of efficiency meant he averaged less than 6 IP per start which isn't great for frontline ace. He also comes with a lot of injury history and it's unlikely he can be counted on to give 180+ IP regularly going forward.

Montgomery is fine honestly, but his expected stats the last couple years peg him better as a MOR guy than an ace, which is still valuable but not quite Boras megacontract valuable. He's also more of a location and contact management guy than strikeout stuff, and teams are more wary of that.

Honestly once you take Ohtani and Yamamoto out of the picture this year's FA class was kinda deceptively weak. I think Boras sensed that and figured he could get all these guys huge deals as a result of them floating to the top of an anemic class despite their warts, and it just didn't pan out for a number of reasons (the RSN bubble burst probably being a fairly big one).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

How are Bryant and Bogaerts on the same level?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/feinsand/status/1764652317532434890?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

42 million a year for Zack Wheeler!? Really?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

42 million a year for Zack Wheeler!? Really?

By most metrics he's been a top 5 pitcher in baseball over the last few years. He's really really good!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Cole deal did end up being a bargain lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

live with fruit posted:

Worse than mcmagic's scenario, tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Highest AAV ever signed in a contract extension.

https://twitter.com/dobrienatl/status/1764329731577503989?t=VjfO6v3EoAZhWPfo2DgDBw

I hate this poo poo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Worse than mcmagic's scenario, tbh

I continue to not think Soto to the Mets is going to be a thing. They didn't go after Judge for a reason.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe that reason was Judge is old af?

Juan Soto this year will be the same age that Judge was in his Rookie season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He probably should have taken the huge deal from the Nats. This is a rotten time to be entering free agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What with the rampant collusion going on, yeah