Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Your actions, your thoughts, your feelings are influenced to a great degree by subconscious cues in your environment.

mindfulness meditation is something I picked up in therapy while I was working in that drug factory, and it carried me through a lot of that horseshit and a lot of other stuff, too, to this very day.

That'll definitely tell you some truths about yourself that you may not want to hear when you first pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Jesus aint poo poo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

mindfulness meditation is something I picked up in therapy while I was working in that drug factory, and it carried me through a lot of that horseshit and a lot of other stuff, too, to this very day.

That'll definitely tell you some truths about yourself that you may not want to hear when you first pick it up.

I'm not sure it's the same thing, I mean, I think a large part of who you and I are, all of us, and how we think, how we go about each day, is based on these very basic responses to stimuli in your environment. You (we) react to them instantly when you see them, without being aware of it at all.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

MrQwerty posted:

embrace how lovely everything is and live your life to the fullest imo

Genuinely a core tenet of the meaning of life

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
A clever trick to help reduce pollution is to find and irreversibly shut down factories, chemical production and resource extraction operations close to you.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Carlos Lantana posted:

city living is loving awful
how can you breathe that poo poo?
every thing is covered in a thin layer of human filth
people smell and wont stfu
every animal is a a feral or a domesticated, genetically effed up freak
the water is vile
there is no silence
your trees and gardens suck
capitalism in your face everywhere you look, making everything shrill and nasty
and you spend almost every waking moment paying for it, fitting into it, being noticed and trying to make some sort of pointless mark or trivial difference
lol

Give Stockholm a shot. Or any scandi capital really

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
You don't need to wash the outside of cups

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

egg_dog posted:

this is the real poo poo

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

egg_dog posted:

Unless you plan to stack them in the cupboard

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Carlos Lantana posted:

city living is loving awful
how can you breathe that poo poo?
every thing is covered in a thin layer of human filth
people smell and wont stfu
every animal is a a feral or a domesticated, genetically effed up freak
the water is vile
there is no silence
your trees and gardens suck
capitalism in your face everywhere you look, making everything shrill and nasty
and you spend almost every waking moment paying for it, fitting into it, being noticed and trying to make some sort of pointless mark or trivial difference
lol

cmon ive been to Downtown LA too but lets be real, the water isnt terrible. the rest, yeah.

it does smell like piss everywhere, though.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

Your actions, your thoughts, your feelings are influenced to a great degree by subconscious cues in your environment.

It's more than just a great degree. There is no free will. All of your thoughts and decisions are predetermined by your environment and experience. You are literally incapable of "choosing" to act or think or feel anything.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Songbearer posted:

No Nut November is an alt right shibboleth used by incels to further alienate an already vulnerable group of victimized males from a healthy and healthy lifestyle and should be discouraged as much as possible

:hmmyes:

Organizations looking to brainwash young men often forbid masturbation and sex.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 4, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

dot communist posted:

It's more than just a great degree. There is no free will. All of your thoughts and decisions are predetermined by your environment and experience. You are literally incapable of "choosing" to act or think or feel anything.

drat! that poo poo totally sucks, man!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Foreplay is important and just as good as the rest of it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dot communist posted:

Maybe it's just semantics, but I don't agree. I could act unpredictably right now in way you could not foresee, nor could anyone else. Even me.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

redshirt posted:

Maybe it's just semantics, but I don't agree. I could act unpredictably right now in way you could not foresee, nor could anyone else. Even me.

Nah. Not really.

The distinction is irrelevant tho so dont worry bout it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
gonna use my free will to post homegroan itt

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean the Universe is expanding, but that expansion is not uniform nor predictable.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

The philosophy here is one of 'hard determination' which suggests that every action you take, no matter how random, is a function of inputs around you as opposed to be something born from a spark of 'creativity'. It's kinda sorta interesting to think about, but suggesting it as an 'hard truth' is a bit of a stretch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The philosophy here is one of 'hard determination' which suggests that every action you take, no matter how random, is a function of inputs around you as opposed to be something born from a spark of 'creativity'. It's kinda sorta interesting to think about, but suggesting it as an 'hard truth' is a bit of a stretch.

I think I get it. That would be the determinism of atoms, of quarks, or quantum fields, to the end of time. That everything is already played out, and finalized, and we are somehow going through it again, etc.

I doubt many actually believe this.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Jealous of his cash liquefier I presume?

He's a good poster, just hard to take financial planning advice from a trust fund baby very seriously. He was born already set for life. His parents did everything for him, anything he does is basically just a hobby. He doesn't need to succeed at anything. Failure is an emotional setback, but it won't ruin him.

And yes, I'm jealous, but not bitter. I wouldn't turn down life on easy mode either, if it were offered to me.

I'm at peace with how hosed I am, anyway. When I become a burden on my son, I'll research whatever pills you shouldn't mix with alcohol and down enough to kill an elephant. gently caress being elderly and living in squalor. Until then, his future is the only one that matters to me. I had a pretty decent run regardless, as long as you don't count my childhood.

Edit: I never got the 3O hate. Any thread I've seen him in, he's either average or pretty good (bitcoin thread). He has it easier than most of us, but that's cool. I wish everyone could have a deal like that.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 4, 2024

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

AEMINAL posted:

They after what they posted about city life, it sounds like op wouldn't be too keen on the idea of being around people different from themself.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

I mean the Universe is expanding, but that expansion is not uniform nor predictable.

Okay... what? That's wild. Got any reading about it you can recommend that someone with a science background that endsd in high school?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Time_pants posted:

Okay... what? That's wild. Got any reading about it you can recommend that someone with a science background that endsd in high school?

Short version is if you look at a star and measure the precise spectrum of colors of light coming out of it you see missing bits called “absorption somethins”

The absorption somethins tell you how much stuff besides pure hydrogen is in the star, and that info, plus the stars mass which you can also measure via ( ???? ) tells you the real color of light emitted by the star.

But when you look at the star its not the color it should be: its colors are shifted red if its moving away from us, or its shifted blue if its moving towards us. Like the dopplar effect of a train horn as it goes by, but for light colors.

And the mind blowing bit is that every single star you look at and measure is red shifted. All of them.

So - basically, every single thing in the observable universe is moving away from us. The current explanation is that space itself is literally expanding.

Or maybe we smell real bad i dunno.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Hot baths are underrated, mainly because most people don't have bathtubs that are deep enough.

A hot bath with Epsom salt, low lights, and some relaxing music on the phone or whatever kicks rear end.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

AEMINAL posted:

I grew up in Sydney on the northern beaches, so very nice cities is not my answer

JRPGs seem to be something to do when everything else to do is untenable
like being 30 stories up or in a favela

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Linux Pirate posted:

Hot baths are underrated, mainly because most people don't have bathtubs that are deep enough.

A hot bath with Epsom salt, low lights, and some relaxing music on the phone or whatever kicks rear end.

When I was super little I took baths, but then we got a shower head installed and I've not taken a bath since. It sounds gross. Just lying in your... filthy water... ugh

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Chili is not soup, or stew. Chili is curry

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

credburn posted:

When I was super little I took baths, but then we got a shower head installed and I've not taken a bath since. It sounds gross. Just lying in your... filthy water... ugh

Not to clean yourself. I'm not that much of an insane person, just to relax. Preferably getting into it after or near taking a shower.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

dot communist posted:

Maybe some of us :agesilaus:

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Nameless_Steve posted:

Jesus aint poo poo

but hos and tricks

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The "no such thing as free will" is on the same level as "we're all just the universe" in that it's kind of a fun philosophical soundbite but doesn't really have any meaningful application or use.

On one hand if free will doesn't exist in the purest sense then why have laws, but on the other it does lend credence to why, in fact, you are hitting yourself.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SOUND & FURY is a metal album

also this is the first metal song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1EyyXL4Gk

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 4, 2024

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

dot communist posted:

That’s just like, your opinion man

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

credburn posted:

I lived in Japan for five years, and I learned that baths are really popular over there. Here's the trick: you take a shower first to wash yourself off, then you draw the bath. Kind of like going to a non-gross swimming pool.

If that sounds like too much effort, the alternative is wallowing in greasy dirt water or not taking baths. Choose whatever you want, but there is a step in the process you can add to make it sanitary.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The real reason for Brexit* was not that the UK couldn't stand taking orders from Brussels, but that it loved following the orders too much.

The only thing brits like more than following The Rules to the letter is being able to complain about all the ridiculous rules we had to follow. The only thing british people in Authority love more is smugly telling the serfs that the EU Says No, Not My Job Mate.

This wouldn't have been an issue but they took it too far - It's the EU closing down your cafe because your toilet door is too small. Nothing I can do about it love, those are the rules, I don't write em, wish I did.

Although the funniest part of that is that many of the rules were drafted, heavily contributed or ported from existing British regulatory and legal frameworks.

All the other member states love to bitch about the rules but they all understand them correctly as a set of platonic ideals.

If you actually go to other EU states this is patently obvious, the French, for example give no fucks how many centimetres your unearthed light switch is from the sink. The Dutch let stoned / drunk people fall into unguarded canals full of rusty bikes. The Germans take part in some truly terrifying rural motorsports. They all understand that the rules are fine, but there to be bent and broken, not to bend and break the country over.

Now of course the Great Satan has been vanquished from the land, but like DPRK without the west there is nowhere to point the blame for the managed decline and crumbling services but inwards and the crabs are circling inside the bucket even faster.

obviously also racism, but the racists didn't need convincing, they didn't want in before and they never stopped wanting out

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

fresh_cheese posted:

Short version is if you look at a star and measure the precise spectrum of colors of light coming out of it you see missing bits called “absorption somethins”

The absorption somethins tell you how much stuff besides pure hydrogen is in the star, and that info, plus the stars mass which you can also measure via ( ???? ) tells you the real color of light emitted by the star.

But when you look at the star its not the color it should be: its colors are shifted red if its moving away from us, or its shifted blue if its moving towards us. Like the dopplar effect of a train horn as it goes by, but for light colors.

And the mind blowing bit is that every single star you look at and measure is red shifted. All of them.

So - basically, every single thing in the observable universe is moving away from us. The current explanation is that space itself is literally expanding.

Fun fact: radio static was one of the earlier proofs of the expanding universe. When the Big Bang occurred, a mere fraction after the universe was created, the first light waves escaped it. This light has been traveling so long, it has red-shifted into a spectrum that is audible to anyone with a basic radio antenna. When you hear radio static from an antenna, you're technically listening to the very moment that time itself began. Kind of awe-inspiring/horrific to think about.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's possible for a penis to be too large

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

The "no such thing as free will" is on the same level as "we're all just the universe" in that it's kind of a fun philosophical soundbite but doesn't really have any meaningful application or use.

On one hand if free will doesn't exist in the purest sense then why have laws, but on the other it does lend credence to why, in fact, you are hitting yourself.

It's just a time-waster. Similar to arguing over the existence of an afterlife. If there isn't one, you'll never know you were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
No one gets past November 2nd during no nut November

God is an imaginary construct we advanced apes used to make ourselves feel better about our mortality and bring comfort to the fact that we don't know poo poo about gently caress about how the universe works

No I cannot in fact smell what The Rock is cooking