Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
can't wait for the 6 essential games on the switch 2 lol

jk im 2 poor to play totk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
five more years

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

five more years

:pray:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Will you switch to Switch 2 too?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Four more Tears! Four more Tears!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

trevorreznik posted:

I've consistently gotten consoles when the refresh came out, usually getting the original at used prices, and it's served me pretty well. OLED switch we got as a gift , but my kid is so into the switch that I'm not sure if it'll be better to just get the switch2 for him and save for christmas or what. I don't want to end up like one of those parents who ends up paying $300 extra for a console because of stock shortages.
Given what my eight year old has access to and plays, I don't think he'll have the same reaction to the next-gen console as most of the rest of us "gotta get it!" consumerists.

He has access to the family Switch. This past Christmas my wife wanted her Chromebook back, so we bought him his own that he uses for Scratch and Tinker (I'm under no illusions about the "education" he's getting from those services) and occasionally Minecraft with friends. This past winter break my brother-in-law built him a gaming PC and installed my wife's curated/limited selection from Steam (he loves playing Valheim with his uncle). Occasionally my wife will get on a nostalgia kick and break out her Wii or Playstation 2.

He doesn't come home from school with any peer-pressure demands. No requests for an Xbox or Playstation. If anything, he's far more influenced by my wife and I talk about.

His gaming sensibilities are very much in line with streaming television content; it's endless and seemingly overwhelming, instilling a somewhat disinterested attitude in "getting" the latest and greatest. While I don't underestimate it, I'm fascinated to see what capital's marketing has in store to train Generation Alpha to be the obedient, compliant consumers they've trained the rest of us to be.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For real though. Actually going to become a dad come June, so I'm interested to see how that's going to go down. Actually is there a "Gaming as a Parent" thread at all? Feels like it could get some traction.

I got a lot of gaming in the first six months while my son slept on me. Appreciated split joycons even more for the times I played on my tv, which is honestly easier more often than holding the entire console or a traditional controller.

Get a good recliner and buy an over-the-arm hanging organizer thing for both sides of the chair. You can use em to hold bottled drinks for you and baby, controllers, remotes, books, and snacks. Anything you might need for 2-4 hours without getting up!

I’ve thought about a gaming parents themed thread but I don’t have the enjoy to Conroe together an OP and make a thread. If the idea sounds good to you there’s not going to be a better time to do it once June arrives!

While I was typing this my son accidentally peed on the floor.

Being a dad is great, you’re going to love it!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You should really Switch 2 a better console!!!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Switch 2 deez nuts :grin:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inzombiac posted:

You should really Switch 2 a better console!!!

yah like the PS Vita TV!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The Switch is the only system powerful enough to play Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpencoil Island. I don't see why you'd downgrade to anything else.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Cheesus posted:

Given what my eight year old has access to and plays, I don't think he'll have the same reaction to the next-gen console as most of the rest of us "gotta get it!" consumerists.

He has access to the family Switch. This past Christmas my wife wanted her Chromebook back, so we bought him his own that he uses for Scratch and Tinker (I'm under no illusions about the "education" he's getting from those services) and occasionally Minecraft with friends. This past winter break my brother-in-law built him a gaming PC and installed my wife's curated/limited selection from Steam (he loves playing Valheim with his uncle). Occasionally my wife will get on a nostalgia kick and break out her Wii or Playstation 2.

He doesn't come home from school with any peer-pressure demands. No requests for an Xbox or Playstation. If anything, he's far more influenced by my wife and I talk about.

His gaming sensibilities are very much in line with streaming television content; it's endless and seemingly overwhelming, instilling a somewhat disinterested attitude in "getting" the latest and greatest. While I don't underestimate it, I'm fascinated to see what capital's marketing has in store to train Generation Alpha to be the obedient, compliant consumers they've trained the rest of us to be.

Now I'm worrying I let my kid see too many ads/YouTube. I just can't win!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sally posted:

yah like the PS Vita TV!

Yesterday I was playing Balatro on my Vita through the PS4 link, who needs a Switch or a PS Portal, checkmate

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Going through the Unicorn demo, can we have a prequel game with Mom Queen instead

She's way cooler

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Cheesus posted:

I have like 350 physical switch carts plus *gesturing wildly at my whole office which includes a Polymega (assuming they ever send me the label to RMA it...), Xbox, 360, Series S, Series X, Dreamcast, ps4, ps3, ps2, ps1, Sega Tower of Power, Saturn, Neo Geo MVS console, Analogue Duo, Analogue Pocket, 3DSes, Gamecubes, Wii, WiiU, N64, SNES, NES, (they each have their own switch)*... You'd think they would not feel the need to demand the newest everything...

Thankfully my 8 year old spent this weekend playing Bendy and the Ink Machine, which he really enjoyed. Sad they didn't release the sequel for switch. One that note, anyone have any good recommendations for an almost 9-year-old who likes tense survival horror games? (He has already beaten FNAF/Security Breach).

trevorreznik posted:

Now I'm worrying I let my kid see too many ads/YouTube. I just can't win!

The thing my kids don't really have access to is Youtube / Tiktok, etc. My brother's kids each have their own tv in their rooms and they just let the kids play youtube all day and they don't really monitor it, and even youtube kids has some gross stuff on there. When my oldest (11 1/2) was like 3 he got really into these dumb toy review videos and this guy who would play Jurassic Park Rangers with his kids and they would superimpose cgi dinosaurs into it. That became a nightmare because he became addicted to it. That and Ryan's World. Just thinking about it makes me mad. I'll take kids yelling about pwning newbs on fortnite all day over that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me of how annoyed I was when I realized that the second SUPERHOT game never got a Switch port

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I got a lot of gaming in the first six months while my son slept on me. Appreciated split joycons even more for the times I played on my tv, which is honestly easier more often than holding the entire console or a traditional controller.

Get a good recliner and buy an over-the-arm hanging organizer thing for both sides of the chair. You can use em to hold bottled drinks for you and baby, controllers, remotes, books, and snacks. Anything you might need for 2-4 hours without getting up!

I’ve thought about a gaming parents themed thread but I don’t have the enjoy to Conroe together an OP and make a thread. If the idea sounds good to you there’s not going to be a better time to do it once June arrives!

While I was typing this my son accidentally peed on the floor.

Being a dad is great, you’re going to love it!

Thanks! We’re obviously very excited. I feel like the switch will be an ideal system for this. All told I may think about putting an OP together on the matter myself one of these days. Not really sure where though. I guess the video game forum would be the right place.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Echoing what Wildtortilla said, the first time I played through Fallout: New Vegas was when my oldest was born. I would just pause the game, feed him, change him or whatever and he'd fall asleep on me, so back to blowing up radscorpions I went. This last Summer / Fall while wifey was working tons of OT the kids sat and watched me play through it (but they didn't get to watch some of the stuff in NV like in Gomorrah, etc).

When they get a little older they will want to play. My oldest was really wanting to play New SMB on Wii, and that was tons of fun. Wifey even played with us but the little one (2 at the time) wanted to play too but kept on killing everyone so he ended up "playing with" (read: chewing on) an xbox 360 controller. He didn't know the difference. He did eventually get better. He beat Breath of the wild last summer.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Pepper Grinder demo is good fun. It's not Drill Dozer, but it's still fun.

Put Drill Dozer on NSO.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
a drill dozer sequel but its kirby 64 style

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

otter posted:

The thing my kids don't really have access to is Youtube / Tiktok, etc. My brother's kids each have their own tv in their rooms and they just let the kids play youtube all day and they don't really monitor it, and even youtube kids has some gross stuff on there. When my oldest (11 1/2) was like 3 he got really into these dumb toy review videos and this guy who would play Jurassic Park Rangers with his kids and they would superimpose cgi dinosaurs into it. That became a nightmare because he became addicted to it. That and Ryan's World. Just thinking about it makes me mad. I'll take kids yelling about pwning newbs on fortnite all day over that.
Cannot second this enough.

Do not allow kids to have Youtube access or "free" channels like the Roku channel which shows repackaged YouTube videos from the likes of Ryan's World , Kid City, EvanTube, etc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kid watches YouTube but only if we are all watching together. The poo poo he likes on there some of it is so loving annoying, it would be so bad if I wasn't vetoing a ton of it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone else have kids who are just addicted to Geometry Dash? If that game ends up on Switch, I don't think they'd ever stop playing it if I just let them go.

Then again, if I didn't impose limits on game time, it would continue regardless.

Edit: totally separate question, does anyone have any good recommendations for cross-platform games that I could play with either my 9 or 6 year old, or both? By cross-platform, I specifically mean Switch and Steam (anything exclusive to the Epic Game Store is a no-go because Tim Sweeney hates the Steam deck).

So far, I have Rocket League (I bought it years ago, so I still have it on Steam), Minecraft Dungeons, and Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed. I doubt they'd be interested in Apex or Warframe.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 4, 2024

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think stardew is cross platform, though I don't really know how multiplayer works in that game

Among us
Killer queen black
Overcooked (screaming will happen)
Fortnight

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fortnite does not work on the Steam deck unless you install windows, and :lol:

That's why I specified "switch and steam".

I forgot about the rest you listed, my kids have sort of moved on from Among Us, and aren't interested in Overcooked, but I might give Killer Queen a try, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 4, 2024

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think stardew is cross platform, though I don't really know how multiplayer works in that game

Stardew is unfortunately not cross platform.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Just downloaded the unicorn overlord demo since tactics ogre was dope back in the day.

I'm immediately disappointed by one of the main characters, I guess anime styled games need this poo poo to sell still?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A normal looking woman?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She looks like she goes ohohohoho so yeah they definitely do.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What am I meant to be outraged by here?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just a blonde woman with rickets dont be mean to her

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

A woman? In MY vidjagames?!?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
Pray for Abongination should they ever discover any of Vanillaware's previous games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That character design is tame for a Vanillaware game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I said come in! posted:

That character design is tame for a Vanillaware game.

You don't understand, her chest jiggles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She does breast boobily a lot in her idle animations, I think that's what the poster is mad about, it is very cheesecakey I guess

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I like boobs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fair but even that is held back. True Vanillaware design would be the breasts are 3/4th of the character and they are used for fighting. In Muramasa Demonblade, they let you play a character that turns into a raccoon dog and fight with their huge testicles. So it goes both ways for Vanillaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

I said come in! posted:

Fair but even that is held back. True Vanillaware design would be the breasts are 3/4th of the character and they are used for fighting. In Muramasa Demonblade, they let you play a character that turns into a raccoon dog and fight with their huge testicles. So it goes both ways for Vanillaware.

That's backwards, you play as a cat that can transform into a girl, a monster cat, or a normal cat, and you are fighting the tanuki's testicles as a boss fight. The testicles are disguised as a haunted mansion and all the spirits contained within including a married couple with stretchy necks and walking butts with eyes where the buttholes should be. You are doing this because you need the tanuki's help to transform into a more convincing girl so you can seduce the samurai who killed your owner and then eat him whole, which (spoiler) you successfully do and are thus allowed into Cat Heaven for avenging your family.

This is a side story that largely has nothing to do with the real plot of the game.