Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

I did that and now all I can see is how dirty my monitor is

The stains on one's monitor are the stains on one's soul

:synpa:

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Vitamin Me posted:

The stains on one's monitor are the stains on one's soul
I'm so cursed
:negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Honestly it's kinda a relief, since I don't really care that much if he was lying about everything else if he's alright. I mean, it's really weird and kinda hosed if he was lying about everything, but I'd rather he be a live liar than dead/dying.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm so cursed
:negative:

There is redemption in posting my friend

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honestly it's kinda a relief, since I don't really care that much if he was lying about everything else if he's alright. I mean, it's really weird and kinda hosed if he was lying about everything, but I'd rather he be a live liar than dead/dying.

I'm not sure if being a chronic serial liar who constructed an identity built on pretending to be a human-killing badass with fictional family members he killed off for sympathy counts as someone being "alright" with or without cancer that they probably lied about.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I've heard about TDI but have never read any of their LPs. I hope this person gets whatever help they are needing right now.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So wait, the whole story about his daughter was... a fabrication? Really?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've also been lying. In reality instead of some boring-rear end nerd in his late thirties who posts way too much about video games and football, I'm actually a globe-trotting secret agent that's actually very handsome and cool and rich.

This also is my excuse for not updating and abandoning my LPs. Also please don't fact check me.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ivantod posted:

So wait, the whole story about his daughter was... a fabrication? Really?

it seems like, basically his whole life was fake, like shooting hippos in the face(?) or being a totally badass pmc fighter with a merc wife who had a pay gap(??)

i had heard a while back dude was a pathological liar and wasn't sure what to think about the recent cancer stuff but now, lmao

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Booky posted:

it seems like, basically his whole life was fake, like shooting hippos in the face(?) or being a totally badass pmc fighter with a merc wife who had a pay gap(??)

i had heard a while back dude was a pathological liar and wasn't sure what to think about the recent cancer stuff but now, lmao

I had never heard any of his personal life stories before, all I knew was the LP's... but how did people hear a single word of those loving stories and not immediately twig to them being lies?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If he wanted to feed on the drama though, wouldn't he have kept working on the Parasite Eve LP that he dropped when he got diagnosed?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

well in an sa thread he would've had to vague-post about having ptsd from his time doing service in-between lp updates. in a personally-cultivated discord server he can just skip straight to the stories of fist-fighting with his sister in-between several near-death cancer scares. easy choice really

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I... just.. what? :psyduck:
This took a very sudden and unexpected plot twist.

euroshopper posted:

i think some people enjoy the thrill of telling stories to internet strangers, and they get so caught up with the positive reception gained from it that they become pathological liars. though tbf i don't want to seem like i'm psychoanalyzing a guy i haven't heard of until an hour ago.

Suddenly getting Boomerjinx flashbacks.

Pretty sure that was the name of the goon who posted a bunch of stories from them working as a street sweeper.
Including a story where they scared a bunch of teenagers dressed up as a Roman Legionnaire while blasting master of puppets and holding roadflares.
I think.

Or maybe I got that name confused with the Ecto-1 guy. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FeyerbrandX posted:

If he wanted to feed on the drama though, wouldn't he have kept working on the Parasite Eve LP that he dropped when he got diagnosed?

Could be that his channel getting copyright nuked killed his enthusiasm, and figured he might as well double up on the drama.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Holy poo poo. This is helluva thing to find out after waking up in the morning.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
All this situation needs is TDI creating a Mario World romhack and have other notable people play it in memorial and it’ll be golden.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've heard about TDI but have never read any of their LPs. I hope this person gets whatever help they are needing right now.

They're actually really good, but don't take my word for it! Just ask Nohman!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Honestly, I wouldn't give a poo poo if he just lied about being a badass merc who lived on an island in Canada and had to help with security in the Brazil Olympics and all the other dumb poo poo he lied about. IIRC, there was a goon way back named HumperMonkey or something that also made up elaborate stories and pretended they were real, but the stories were entertaining so I didn't give a poo poo (note I really don't know the details so I could be missing some bad poo poo there).

Lying about his daughter's death and his own cancer, assuming both are lies... That's kinda something else altogether, and a really lovely thing to do.

That said I'm clearly not lying enough in my LPs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Mega64 posted:

That said I'm clearly not lying enough in my LPs.

Buying accounts for all of my fictional extended family that I slowly kill off as the LP goes on to excuse the slow pace of updates is going to be expensive.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Buying accounts for all of my fictional extended family that I slowly kill off as the LP goes on to excuse the slow pace of updates is going to be expensive.

I kinda want to post an update to my LP that my dog died, but don't think everyone would get the joke

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mega64 posted:

IIRC, there was a goon way back named HumperMonkey or something that also made up elaborate stories and pretended they were real, but the stories were entertaining so I didn't give a poo poo

Oh yeah, it was probably HumperMonkey I was thinking of before.

If anything, those "Haunted West German US military base" stories were pretty good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, it was probably HumperMonkey I was thinking of before.

If anything, those "Haunted West German US military base" stories were pretty good.

Yeah, the first series of stories about the haunted barracks were fun because he presented himself as being more or less as terrified as everyone else, but then after that everything started being about how cool and fearless he was and it just got kind of eyerolly.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

drat I really enjoyed his Xenogears and Parasite Eve LPs from back in the day. Either he's sick, or he's sick. One's funny, one is not so funny.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, the first series of stories about the haunted barracks were fun because he presented himself as being more or less as terrified as everyone else, but then after that everything started being about how cool and fearless he was and it just got kind of eyerolly.

At least those felt like they were intended to be fiction. Unlike the streetsweeper/trashman stuff.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol

Lmao even

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Love learning about a whole bunch of stuff at the same moment I learn it's all a lie. Net zero information. Does The Dark Id even really exist

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

His fatal mistake was tagging his imminent death announcement with @everyone.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Mega64 posted:

I've also been lying. In reality instead of some boring-rear end nerd in his late thirties who posts way too much about video games and football, I'm actually a globe-trotting secret agent that's actually very handsome and cool and rich.

This also is my excuse for not updating and abandoning my LPs. Also please don't fact check me.

So, about Octopath Traveller II...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Huh.

I think what we have here is the latest entry for goons.txt

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That'd be one way to make them start posting again I guess. Unless they've moved to Bsky like more or less everyone else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Black Robe posted:

So, about Octopath Traveller II...

Actual answer is I'm taking a break due to burnout and feeling like I'm not really adding much to what I'm presenting. Still 50/50 on continuing, and if anyone else wants to LP it I'd be happy to share my resources and stuff, but for now I don't feel like pumping out long updates for a long RPG. Might tackle a dumb ROM hack or something short and goofy if I find the right game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Honestly, I thought it was a known thing that The Dark Id was a chronic liar when he started talking about being an elite PMC. Granted, I didn't expect that even his daughter was fake lol.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

what a thing to wake up to

:munch:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly, I thought it was a known thing that The Dark Id was a chronic liar when he started talking about being an elite PMC. Granted, I didn't expect that even his daughter was fake lol.

Yeah the occasional story snippet I'd hear had me go "Ok I'm pretty sure that's bullshit" but I don't think folks expected him to be inventing a daughter just to kill her off and then mourn her. I was never on the discord so I guess I didn't get the full blast of bullshit.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I didn't even know he was pretending to be military of any kind. The only bit of Dark Id Lore I knew was the dead daughter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've been clinically dead for twelve years now

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

I've been clinically dead for twelve years now

and you've had your 14th birthday twelve times

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's a lot of observations that a lot of this stuff is kind of obviously bullshit in retrospect, but for the most part only in its totality; if you only followed Id's LPs you might only be hearing about some of it now. The daughter thing is the only part that really went big, and what was even there to disbelieve with that? A man tells you his teenage daughter has died, you offer your deepest sympathy. That's not being fooled.

I have only one, extremely specific, regret. I don't regret that when Slowbeef shared his suspicions with me (this was a little under a year ago) that I took a view of suspending judgement; that was the right thing to do, I still think. What I do regret is that I didn't do then what I did yesterday; quietly request an alt check. Because, as you have probably heard, the admins struck gold on that one. I can't say for sure anymore, but I think if I had known then that the forums first heard of the daughter dying by way of his own goddamn alt account, which had been sockpuppet cheerleading his own LPs since the beginning, I might just have started shouting about this myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

still chewing on things. not happy about it now, but doubt I'll be happy with whatever ends up happening either.
what I knew them as was one of the big name LP'rs who introduced me and a lot of other folks to Nier/Drakengard, who faded from the LP scene around his videos getting bopped.
which, given how I *thought* things were going struck for em me as a last straw, hanging up their LP'r hat for other things deal. not much reason to really think on em after that.
don't think I ever heard anything about them being in a PMC or related stories til earlier, so if Id talked about in the LP's either I've forgotten (not unlikely) or it was understated compared to what they told later/elsewhere.

didn't join SA because of em, but I'd say their work did have a hand in that eventual decision.
Iunno. tired, too early in the morning for this sort of thing.