Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just got out and that was a good time. Some of the shots were amazing. Particular standout to me was the overhead shot of Paul walking through the Fremen and everyone's heads formed individual grains of sand. The Geidi Prime black and white sunlight was super cool especially when the scene transitioned from warm lamp colours into the stark daylight monochrome.

The Fremen really should have been speaking Arabic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fuschia tude posted:

The music in this one was just as forgettable as the last, memes notwithstanding. Zimmer made sure he got his money's worth across the two films with that one single vocal sample they licensed, though.

unless i am mistaken about what you're referring to that ain't a dang sample. that is Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance.

and the Leaving Caladan music kicks rear end at least.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/yes-that-is-dead-can-dances-lisa-gerrard-on-the-dune-score/

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

uber_stoat posted:

unless i am mistaken about what you're referring to that ain't a dang sample. that is Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance.

and the Leaving Caladan music kicks rear end at least.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/yes-that-is-dead-can-dances-lisa-gerrard-on-the-dune-score/

Ohhhh is it? She was also on much of the Gladiator soundtrack. I thought I recognised the style.

Dune 2 was excellent imho. Considering I've always assumed it was unfilmable I was very impressed, and I think the changes to the book narrative were earned.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Crystal Thenis posted:

Dune 2 on imax, speechless

haven’t been more impressed with a film since twin towers battle scene however many years ago

It will be 23 years ago this fall.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I just arrived home after seeing it in IMAX.

Can I say that my first visceral impression be that I hated it? I really cant explain why I have this impression. Maybe a rewatch might be in order.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A rewatch might improved things. I'm still feeling pretty sour about it myself but might see how I feel when I see it again. It's a pretty stark contrast where I left Dune 1 feeling pretty good, whereas Dune 2 I've honestly felt more negative about the more I've talked about/thought about it.On the other hand theaters are expensive enough I might just wait for streaming.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
You know I have to be honest, I don't understand at all why people have said that the first book at least is particularly 'unfilmable', like its hardly the only book made into a good movie that has a lot of internal thoughts for its characters?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

It isn't, especially if you do a TV series. Which we already got.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

khwarezm posted:

You know I have to be honest, I don't understand at all why people have said that the first book at least is particularly 'unfilmable', like its hardly the only book made into a good movie that has a lot of internal thoughts for its characters?

I think it got that reputation after Jodorowsky just completely failed to get anything off the ground (and insisted that it needed to be like ten hours long to properly adapt it to the screen).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In fairness on the timing, the 5-6 hours that Villeneuve got is a lot closer to 10 than the "must be less than 2 hours" that Hollywood was insisting on when Jodorowsky was pitching it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

just watched it in imax.

if you're reading/lurking this thread and are on the fence, I think people are really overstating the negatives. I don't think the criticisms of this film (as with part 1) are unwarranted necessarily, but they pretty much crumble under the sheer weight of everything it does so majestically right. the film is a goddamned masterpiece.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

kalel posted:

just watched it in imax.

if you're reading/lurking this thread and are on the fence, I think people are really overstating the negatives. I don't think the criticisms of this film (as with part 1) are unwarranted necessarily, but they pretty much crumble under the sheer weight of everything it does so majestically right. the film is a goddamned masterpiece.

My only problem with my Imax experience is it was so goddamn loud my ears were ringing when I got out of the theater.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

khwarezm posted:

i rewatched the lynch version after watching Dune 2 and it's absolutely ridiculous how much he leans on voice over thought monologue for drat near every character. i think trimming it down mercilessly on character count to really find the core was a wise move. Like frex pushing all the space travel poo poo to the edges and just knowing spice makes space travel work is all you need.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

i rewatched the lynch version after watching Dune 2 and it's absolutely ridiculous how much he leans on voice over thought monologue for drat near every character. i think trimming it down mercilessly on character count to really find the core was a wise move. Like frex pushing all the space travel poo poo to the edges and just knowing spice makes space travel work is all you need.

Yeah that's really notorious about Lynch's Dune, but I actually think it was the studio mandated cut and he didn't have much involvement with them adding the voices overs. Lynch Dune is sort of sad but vaguely funny in that its endlessly bogged down with exposition and people bluntly telling the audience what they are thinking and still being a confusing mess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

khwarezm posted:

Yeah that's really notorious about Lynch's Dune, but I actually think it was the studio mandated cut and he didn't have much involvement with them adding the voices overs. Lynch Dune is sort of sad but vaguely funny in that its endlessly bogged down with exposition and people bluntly telling the audience what they are thinking and still being a confusing mess.

Yeah, I don't know a ton about it's production but saying "he"(Lynch) was responsible for the voice overs was uncharitable. I'm sure it's a situation like the theatrical cut of Blade Runner.

I like how Dune 84 starts with the conceit of a Guild Navigator visiting the Emperor to demand he explain the plot of the movie we're about to watch.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, I don't know a ton about it's production but saying "he"(Lynch) was responsible for the voice overs was uncharitable. I'm sure it's a situation like the theatrical cut of Blade Runner.

I like how Dune 84 starts with the conceit of a Guild Navigator visiting the Emperor to demand he explain the plot of the movie we're about to watch.

I do kind of like that inclusion just because I can tell that Lynch probably read Dune Messiah and was dismayed there were no weird rear end fish looking fucks in the first book, so he put them in retroactively.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

Plus seeing a giant sperm-fish swimming in weed carried in their own locomotive sets the tone for the whole movie

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Gedi Prime stuff was so great; I’ve been expecting more infrared stuff after Nope’s amazing day-for-night and BOY did they nail it.

Other high points are the Dolby Cinema policy with Denis plugging Dolby and the languid visuals; they could have cut 45 minutes out of the movie easily, but that would have lost the majesty.

Finally the Chani/love angle was great, even though I needed the Emperor to spell it out. The contrast between Paul’s father’s decision bringing disaster and Paul’s bringing power were very clear, as was Chani’s ultimate decision.

Side note, the Zendaya trailer was the only one that didn’t look like garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of trailers I got an advertisement for the Halo TV series before my movie. I know that the Spartan 3 SPI Armour goes all the way back to 2006 but they've definitely been leaning heavily into the all-white Sardaukar look with it ever since Dune Part 1 released.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
look, they're all riffing off of riefenstahl's nazi poo poo, but it's a revival of that specific nazi poo poo. here's a warhammer thing for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTFywoAXuQU&t=66s

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dune 2 rules

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kalel posted:

just watched it in imax.

Same and same. I think also a) it's not as emotionally satisfying as the first one- in a meta sense- because it's like "oh cool he did it again" as opposed to "holy poo poo he actually did it" and b) I was getting kinda sick of sitting in imax for three hours. That aside, I think it really works overall. Love how creepy they made the Bene Gesserit

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it is cool that we get to have a real movie now and again, as a treat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

wizard2 posted:

it is cool that we get to have a real movie now and again, as a treat

I think the nut-kick the entire industry got for the roni is proving to be pretty permanent, unfortunately

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I saw the movie. It was pretty good. Some things were different from the books, but... eh. Most things usually are.

If I can get over Tom Bombadil not being in the movie, I can get over anything.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I haven't seen it yet (mea culpa) so I have no opinions on it to offer but I *can* assert that Villeneuve is a nice guy based on this, at least:

"Dune: Part Two premiered at Quebec palliative care home to fulfil man's dying wish
Man died before watching ending of movie on filmmaker Denis Villeneuve's laptop"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/dune-ii-man-dying-wish-1.7132622

some bits from it:
"A man from Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, Que., had an almost impossible final wish when he knew he was at the end of his life. The movie buff said he would like to see the film Dune: Part Two, which was set to be released on March 1, before he died."
"Realizing that the man would not be able to go to the premiere, Villeneuve decided to send the movie directly to the municipality of Saguenay. Villeneuve's assistant flew down to Quebec with the filmmaker's laptop.

"They locked themselves in a room at the Maison de soins palliatifs [...] and this man managed to watch the film on his own," said Gagnon. Everyone had to sign waivers not to reveal anything about the movie."

"Too weak, the film buff fell asleep before the end of the movie and died later. Gagnon said Villeneuve and Lapointe were disappointed that the man had not been able to see the end."

That last part is a bit sad, but still it's a sweet story.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I thought it was good. That said, I really could have gone for more magic, unironically.

edit: I think I liked the ending of the Lynch movie more, upon second thought

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Also I think I'm deaf because god drat that poo poo was loud

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Saw it over the weekend. Fantastic movie, absolutely loved it.

Yes it was super loud.

"How much bass do you want Hans Zimmer?"

Zimmer but with the weird intro voice "YES."

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I enjoyed it a lot. Don't wait for streaming, this is one to see on the big screen.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
i know that the jihad results in untold billions suffering horribly, but stilgar looks so loving happy when paul gives the go ahead, i can't stay mad at that face. javier barden plays him almost childlike in his excitement, it's great.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I thought that was loving great as well. LISAN AL GHAIIIIIIIIBBB!!!!!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

really makes u think

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tochiazuma posted:

I haven't seen it yet (mea culpa) so I have no opinions on it to offer but I *can* assert that Villeneuve is a nice guy based on this, at least:

"Dune: Part Two premiered at Quebec palliative care home to fulfil man's dying wish
Man died before watching ending of movie on filmmaker Denis Villeneuve's laptop"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/dune-ii-man-dying-wish-1.7132622

some bits from it:
"A man from Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, Que., had an almost impossible final wish when he knew he was at the end of his life. The movie buff said he would like to see the film Dune: Part Two, which was set to be released on March 1, before he died."
"Realizing that the man would not be able to go to the premiere, Villeneuve decided to send the movie directly to the municipality of Saguenay. Villeneuve's assistant flew down to Quebec with the filmmaker's laptop.

"They locked themselves in a room at the Maison de soins palliatifs [...] and this man managed to watch the film on his own," said Gagnon. Everyone had to sign waivers not to reveal anything about the movie."

"Too weak, the film buff fell asleep before the end of the movie and died later. Gagnon said Villeneuve and Lapointe were disappointed that the man had not been able to see the end."

That last part is a bit sad, but still it's a sweet story.

"NON NON NON PAS ANGLAIS PAS ANGLAIS"

*dies*

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Je suis Mahdi Hon Hon.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I wish the Harkonnen Castle was still shaped like a giant fat man, otherwise everything on Geidi Prime is really good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

One little thing I don't think they mentioned is thar the worms are responsible for spice production, and thus terraforming the planet will probably wipe out spice. it's sorts hinted at in the first movie though

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I saw the movie. It was pretty good. Some things were different from the books, but... eh. Most things usually are.

If I can get over Tom Bombadil not being in the movie, I can get over anything.

If I find out Tom's not in this one either I'm going to lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

StashAugustine posted:

One little thing I don't think they mentioned is thar the worms are responsible for spice production, and thus terraforming the planet will probably wipe out spice. it's sorts hinted at in the first movie though

I really hope the third movie brings in some more of the ecological/anthropological perspective as a whole. This movie leans a lot on the distinction between north Arrakis, where the colonials are active and the Fremen are militant, and south Arrakis, where the colonials are absent and the Fremen are quietist. I think it would have strongly supported this point to carry over another plot point from the book. The south of Arrakis is where the palmaries are, the Fremen ecological zones where they’re already actively terraforming along the plan laid out by Kynes Senior. The people there have more to lose and that’s why they weren’t engaging in total war from the beginning. It’s why the emergence of a messianic warlord like Paul was important, because it tied together the strand of Fremen culture that wanted to fight outsiders for every dune with the strand that wanted to turn the planet into a paradise. In the movie the south (when we finally get there) looks a lot like every other part of Arrakis.

Another interesting thing that I think is related to this is that the movies don’t seem to incorporate the element of Chani being Liet-Kynes’ daughter and, in a way, the inheritor of the Kynes terraforming project. There’s no reason why she couldn’t be, but at the very least they haven’t mentioned it.