Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

faking a whole family including the tragic death of your fictional daughter and getting paid for it isn't even remotely on the same scale as civvie11's gimmick of being electrocuted by robots in a fictional 120 story underground prison, and even contemplating conflating the two is pretty intensely hosed up

Posts with this tone always make me wish the avatar was of a guy brandishing a legal fire arm pointing it at the POV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

But like low old timey gangster/old west saloon villain stance lol. That’d make them way easier to tolerate.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

holy poo poo this is an incredible ride as someone who liked some of his lps and heard he was a big liar a few years back and kinda kept that in the back of my mind

lmaoing at "yeah im lping a shadow hearts dungeon inbetween shooting hippos with shotguns", seeing it all laid out is the fakest poo poo in the world??

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

ok i don't want to post too much more, just the discords mod posted this to tell people to shut the gently caress up about doubts about tdi's demise

and

There's no way thats not a sockpuppet right

it's the same "badass" posting style and everything

it seems to have worked since people are talking about soups and poo poo now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fKUcuapV7I

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I was playing video games

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

IndestructibleCat posted:

Also I need to share this one

Endorph posted:

my daughter was tragically trapped in a timeloop

Kurtofan posted:

ok i don't want to post too much more, just the discords mod posted this to tell people to shut the gently caress up about doubts about tdi's demise

and

There's no way thats not a sockpuppet right

it's the same "badass" posting style and everything

it seems to have worked since people are talking about soups and poo poo now

Blarghalt posted:

Dead Idernet Theory.

Lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Crescent Wrench posted:

I caught up on 400 posts before bed and I'm waking up to 600 more...

av/situation combo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

insane anime posted:

Unlock a world of casual fun and excitement with the premier let's play forum.
Authentic Cancerous Supreme Сasual Gaming
Optimal Сasual Gaming

That DICK! posted:

soldier of fortune in the war for equality

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am 100% sure he was pulling a Koalas March with an alt in his LP threads too.

His Shadowhearts LP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860785

His Alt Account:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860785&userid=124714

I love goons

AndyAML posted:

before he really dies for real, here's one more story of TDI's badass ex-military wife who is very real and quotes nier inbetween killing dozens of russians

not to be outdone, TDI himself logs onto discord to brag about how watching 24 and listening to jazz makes him a nazi killing machine

IndestructibleCat posted:

Also I need to share this one

Endorph posted:

zorak has been mocking thedarkid now that he's dying

lmao

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Was the yoko taro thing even real lmao

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xun posted:

Was the yoko taro thing even real lmao

People say he tweeted at TDI at some point, but I couldn't find it. A special package probably didn't happen, that's something you'd post photos of.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've been through hell and back. Caught cancer from wading through the blood and viscera of the countless Russians whose bodies I've ripped apart. I die alone, officially I never existed, the government will make sure nobody ever learns my story, except the members of my video games chat group. My only regret? Not saving my daughter from the rampaging hippos.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i remember reading about the "adopting my gay daughter's girlfriend out from under her homophobic parents"-thing, whenever that happened, and thinking it all sounded way too much like "and then everyone on the bus stood up and applauded"

I'd never actually interacted with him though, so I was content with just privately thinking he was full of poo poo

to find out that he was roleplaying his own wife on twitter and all this other poo poo is just.... wild

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

This quote from his alt that he used to post about himself and gas up his LP threads is really ringing in my head

Nohman posted:

Yah. He's mentioned wanting to go back to that a couple times. But also the guy did some movie streams weekly for years and recently did a couple and the the tone in recent ones from extremely enthusiastic good entertainer to just dead inside is... stark. I'd give him some time...

Like just bending my brain in half trying to imagine the kind of mindset you have to be in to

1. Sorrowfully roleplay "married man whose young daughter died traumatically" over microphone to I assume dozens of people
2. Seriously like imagine watching a whole loving movie over discord groupchat while you put on an act about how you're really really sad about your really really dead and not fake daughter
3. Just really hammin' up the old "im so dead inside" act while you try not to laugh at Fast & The Furious 5 or whatever
4. Probably namesearch furiously on the daily for Dark Id to find that discussion so fast
5. Get on your sockpuppet account you made so you can lament how tragic of a figure you are, to try and get even more sympathy

All this without ever once stopping to say "hey maybe this is really hosed up and I should just disappear off the internet instead of prolonging this farce". And keeping this facade up for some years.

I get that everyone's hung up on the hilariously fake PMC details but the more I think about the emotional aspects of faking a wife and dead daughter, especially with the outpouring of support he received and anecdotes from other people who had been in similar situations, it just feels unreal amounts of hosed up. Not even just emotional support but financial support. Like how many people with real life stories of losing kids or similar reached out to him, and he saw all of that, and never once stopped in his stride to think about how highly hosed up everything he was doing was? Jesus Christ.

I hope people in his discord are able to move past seeing this as some kind of weird beef/conspiracy and understand the true depth of how badly they were fleeced and for how long, and how actually severe these actions were.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

People say he tweeted at TDI at some point, but I couldn't find it. A special package probably didn't happen, that's something you'd post photos of.

I know a guy who is convinced that he must be a decent dude who went crazy because.........he is single handedly responsible for the creation of nier automata hahahahahahaha

I mean hey maybe a let's play on a dead gay comedy forum really moved the hearts of random japanese businessmen

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Xun posted:

I mean hey maybe a let's play on a dead gay comedy forum really moved the hearts of random japanese businessmen

Didn't the insane following of the dangan ronpa lp lead to the second one getting an official English translation? Or the second one leading to the third or something ?

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

You know, I know that shitposty Discord names are just the house style these days, but I still wonder how a grown-rear end adult person decides to call themselves "Slut God of buttbutt, Milwaukee"

thanks to this thread I changed my discord name to "tommy tallarico event horizon"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Antivehicular posted:

It always just makes me think of the (iirc) GiP post about how comically easy it is to fake military valor if all you want is recognition/perks as a veteran: just say you were deployed in the Army, you drove a truck or hauled water or something boring, and you don't really want to talk about it. Never questioned, always believed, enjoy your free veteran beers. But if course, if you want to steal valor, it's because you actually want the valor part, so everyone's a Special Forces SEAL with ten Good Boy Medals for personally disemboweling Saddam Hussein.

Now I'm thinking about the Special Forces stolen-valor guy from GiP years ago, where after the big reveal, everyone was surprised because he'd made totally logical complaints about the military pay website despite never serving? Like, the dude had done research on the pay portal so he could bitch about it? That's committing to the bit.

the goon was british lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

the goon was british lol

stolen valour

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kurtofan posted:

stolen valour

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nitnen posted:

thanks to this thread I changed my discord name to "tommy tallarico event horizon"

That’s fricking hilarious.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Paladinus posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3581756&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post421704873 "I contacted a company and said I loved their games and they sent me a poster and voucher" isn't too far out of the question, if you ignore the personal response bit and that it became 'a gift package' later.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Wormskull posted:

That’s fricking hilarious.

the name is changed, its fuckin hilarious

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

This quote from his alt that he used to post about himself and gas up his LP threads is really ringing in my head

Like just bending my brain in half trying to imagine the kind of mindset you have to be in to

1. Sorrowfully roleplay "married man whose young daughter died traumatically" over microphone to I assume dozens of people
2. Seriously like imagine watching a whole loving movie over discord groupchat while you put on an act about how you're really really sad about your really really dead and not fake daughter
3. Just really hammin' up the old "im so dead inside" act while you try not to laugh at Fast & The Furious 5 or whatever
4. Probably namesearch furiously on the daily for Dark Id to find that discussion so fast
5. Get on your sockpuppet account you made so you can lament how tragic of a figure you are, to try and get even more sympathy

All this without ever once stopping to say "hey maybe this is really hosed up and I should just disappear off the internet instead of prolonging this farce". And keeping this facade up for some years.

I get that everyone's hung up on the hilariously fake PMC details but the more I think about the emotional aspects of faking a wife and dead daughter, especially with the outpouring of support he received and anecdotes from other people who had been in similar situations, it just feels unreal amounts of hosed up. Not even just emotional support but financial support. Like how many people with real life stories of losing kids or similar reached out to him, and he saw all of that, and never once stopped in his stride to think about how highly hosed up everything he was doing was? Jesus Christ.

I hope people in his discord are able to move past seeing this as some kind of weird beef/conspiracy and understand the true depth of how badly they were fleeced and for how long, and how actually severe these actions were.

i mean absolutely no offense in the most sincere way possible, but the way this ended is absolutely the most plausible predictable thing about a person who claims to be a pmc online

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the name is changed, its fuckin hilarious

pray i do not change it further :D

edit: so pablo negrigante is trying to loving kill me

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
also the buttbutt thing is probably a christening by my least favourite discord bot

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's all fun and games, on the dead daughter succumbing to cancer ex war criminal jrpg discord

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my GAYyYYYYYYY daughter go now that'll be the end of it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's all fun and games, on the dead daughter succumbing to cancer ex war criminal jrpg discord

extradjudicially excecuting tifa-red xiii shippers

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
But were the LPs good?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

But were the LPs good?

they were products of their time

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Dongicus posted:

but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my GAYyYYYYYYY daughter go now that'll be the end of it.

lol

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
I still like his xenogears LP

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Crescent Wrench posted:

But were the LPs good?

I read a bit of the drakengard one and it was insufferable. I read it after the recent lols though so I accept some degree of bias

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dongicus posted:

lol

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i mean absolutely no offense in the most sincere way possible, but the way this ended is absolutely the most plausible predictable thing about a person who claims to be a pmc online

I had no idea about any of the PMC stuff myself until this broke. All I knew was he made some funny let's plays and was well regarded, occasionally streamed movies in his discord (I sat in on one once then forgot his discord existed), then I heard the news about his daughter from someone retweeting it. I imagine a lot of people didn't know the PMC absurdity, or only heard about it in such periphery ("yeah I was a soldier bad poo poo happened") that they took it at face value.

A lot of people seemed to know very little about the fabricated backstory but gave their condolences, shed tears, etc regardless. And frankly even if the more diehard fans were foolish rubes eating up tall tales or whatever, it's still truly horrific behavior to fake cancer/a dead daughter/suicide attempts/etc.

When lovely stories come out I try to empathize and understand what could drive someone to doing that, but with this I just can't get inside it at all. You either have to willingly ignore what you're doing to people, have no perception of the fact that others have inner lives and emotions you can negatively affect, or simply prioritize your own gratification above all else, I guess? I dunno.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I just got some serious ground-level intel from a confidential human asset source on my number 2 that betrayed me to my enemies. His name... Number 2.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the tv tropes for taylor swift is about as long as the page for the dark id lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Neither pretending to be Billy Badass military man nor milking sympathy for a fake family are all that unusual, unfortunately, but they seem so wildly incompatible that combining the two like this is lunacy.