Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think the EG Grandpa really has that many lines to line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Anyone have any good gun color scheme inspiration to toss around? I've got a Type-23 rifle I'm using in my current build and don't want to go stock gray throughout. Squirtlemilitia used to to do cool detail builds on instagram but honestly doing a basic search is turning up garbage for me at the moment.

Gripweed posted:

They do stand out like a neon light to thieves though

I once had my car broken into the day after coming back from a con with my trunk full of raffle prizes. There was nothing else of value in the car so the thief stole a still cling-wrapped Nazi style UFO model I had won. I still laugh thinking about how they figured that was ever gonna sell to a pawn shop for anything to make it worth their time, or how long it sat on their apartment floor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Any kind of little plastic case does, they are often power tools or electronics.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Now I wanna see the look on the face of said thief when they open the black case labeled GUN and find a PG Unleashed RX-78 inside instead of a Glock or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Any kind of little plastic case does, they are often power tools or electronics.

I like to put at least one thermonuclear device in there, just to be safe.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Now I wanna see the look on the face of said thief when they open the black case labeled GUN and find a PG Unleashed RX-78 inside instead of a Glock or something.

Does anyone make a model of the Iron Giant? Wanna get that case labeled GUN, scratch or throw on a label that reads "Not a" and store my Iron Giant inside of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kantesu posted:

Does anyone make a model of the Iron Giant? Wanna get that case labeled GUN, scratch or throw on a label that reads "Not a" and store my Iron Giant inside of it.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there was a MODEROID of the Iron Giant before long, given we're getting Robocop.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
An Iron Giant kit with swappable dented head would be the cutest fuckin thing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/RdRlXJoZjBSuwCt/status/1763579981332943011

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the transformations on this 144 unicorn full armor are the work of an unhinged madman who must be stopped

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Figured I'd post my current WIP for a local SEED contest at the end of the month. Tweaked parts of it a few times so it's not fully painted yet. Going for a Strike Freedom Mass Production Type design.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zodack posted:

Figured I'd post my current WIP for a local SEED contest at the end of the month. Tweaked parts of it a few times so it's not fully painted yet. Going for a Strike Freedom Mass Production Type design.

It's got big Narrative B-Packs energy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

If you're going for a Mass Production model, it needs a Shield too like the M1 Astrays did imo.

Looks real nice though!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're going for a Mass Production model, it needs a Shield too like the M1 Astrays did imo.

Thanks! I have that exact shield on the workbench, didn't make it into the build photo because the underside is masked all to hell

Warmachine posted:

It's got big Narrative B-Packs energy.

It's been funny how even with the backpack wing holders flipped completely upside down how far the dragoons stick up

Zodack fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 4, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Anyone else who's built this accursed 1/144 Full Armor Unicorn Gundam, is there a trick to getting the ammo magazines to stay in the Hyper Bazookas (step 23-3)

They seem to be loose no matter how i set it up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

hammered out several small stuff so I'm in a weird position where my work backlog isn't building per se so much as detailing/decals but once I knock this stuff out I'll be working on my mg quebley damned. also the tallgeese fluegal is getting here sometime this month which will likely be my summer project similar to the psycho zaku last year

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 4, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Deviant posted:

Anyone else who's built this accursed 1/144 Full Armor Unicorn Gundam, is there a trick to getting the ammo magazines to stay in the Hyper Bazookas (step 23-3)

Oh yeah they do that. Bazooka clips fall out sometimes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Oh yeah they do that. Bazooka clips fall out sometimes.

the movie would be a lot shorter that way.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Deviant posted:

Are you doing the rg or hg, because I've done the hg and didn't have that issue but I could have just gotten lucky

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone get their MODEROID Ordine, the Azure Knight yet?

the product page now says march 2024 but uh, is that accurate do you think?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Deviant posted:

the transformations on this 144 unicorn full armor are the work of an unhinged madman who must be stopped

That's one of the RG unicorns where you have to slowly loosen some of the arm joins or else they'll bind up and break, right? I assume all the RG unicorns used the same frame and are all affected by that issue

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This Moderoid kit has been sticking out to me at the hobby shop. I've never warched Martian Successor Nadesico but it looks cool and is giving me Barzam vibes.

$60 CAD is kinda steep but the one I saw in store was about $50 instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

This Moderoid kit has been sticking out to me at the hobby shop. I've never warched Martian Successor Nadesico but it looks cool and is giving me Barzam vibes.

I've got it, it's a decent kit. Smaller than most MODEROIDS, it's closer to HG-scale than the MG-scale most are.

edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The MODEROID Aestivalis Aerial Frame is all-in-all an okay kit. Not fantastic, has some minor complaints (mainly the storage case not actually being holdable :psyduck:), but if you like Martian Successor Nadesico, it's a solid buy.

Can you spot the difference between the old Bandai kit and the new Moderoid?? :v:

It's subtle, I know.

I didn't have a decent black marker, so I went fancy instead and did the spear up in a metallic blue for the handle, silver EX for the blade, and metallic gold for an accent. I think it turned out really nice :allears:. Actually painted the rifle too, but it's still drying.

Gimmick-wise, the forearms actually have moving wrist plates for decent degree of motion, even though the wrist itself can't pivot anywhere near far enough to make use of them. The forearm blades swing out too, as do the vernier jets on the back wings.

The cockpit pod pops out as you'd expect, and you can swing the engines under it for the ejection mode.

And, yes, the cockpit pods are interchangeable.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I have a basic question for yall. I’m building an HG Zogok (Unicorn Ver.) and the second ball joints on both arms feel loose. I know the recommendation is to use clear nail polish, so how would I apply it, to the socket or to the polycap ball?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
To the ball, so if you apply too much it's easy to sand away until you have a fit that's secure but not too tight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To the ball. It's easier to coat a sphere than it is to coat a depression. The ball is also the part that will be doing the movement, so building up the layers on it will increase the friction.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

You should watch Nadesico

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have a lot of big kits already but god damm this third party kit is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajjlQZjjBs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nuebot posted:

You should watch Nadesico

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I have a lot of big kits already but god damm this third party kit is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajjlQZjjBs

This kit looks amazing. I hope the video gets English subtitles soon, it seems to be talking about it's design choices. We never get any kind of behind the scenes info.
Slightly concerned about how many NOTES each step seems to have. Maybe it's just trying be less daunting for new builders.

Stuff like this is why I'm pretty much done with Bandai. They can make as many double priced recolours and Unicorn With a New Hat they want, passionate designers are making good builds elsewhere.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It's the RG 1/144 unicorn with the bad arms, yeah.

Also any tips to make these hyper bazooka magazines stay in place a bit better? They drop at the slightest provocation. I was thinking a bit of poster tack.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
P-bandai is doing some L-GAIM stuff, looks cool.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone get their MODEROID Ordine, the Azure Knight yet?

the product page now says march 2024 but uh, is that accurate do you think?
I preordered from Big Bad Toy Store when it was first announced and it showed up like exactly a month ago. No I have not started it :negative:

I only took one quick look and it looked like the Valimar where you will have to have like a metallic marker for the filigree but I didn’t inspect it more than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NspIScHf-to

I don't read Japanese but apparently there's a reprint of Gundam 00 kits happening.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m close to finishing assembly of the MG Wing Zero Ver Ka I got for Christmas, complementing the MG Epyon I got the Christmas before that.

Even though it’s a more complicated kit, I’m having a much easier time with it, and I can’t really explain it. The nubs are just placed better, or the type of plastic? I don’t know. I haven’t made a mistake yet, while on the Epyon I broke a leg, put the very first dry transfer in the wrong place (“forcing” me to it 3 more in the wrong place to achieve some symmetry) and got a decals on the chest crooked.

The Wing Zero has water slide decals, which I’ve never used before. Do I want to put those on before or after I panel line? I still just used marker-type liners and cotton swabs. I don’t think I feel like going out of my way to get topcoat or marker setter or anything else new.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m close to finishing assembly of the MG Wing Zero Ver Ka I got for Christmas, complementing the MG Epyon I got the Christmas before that.

Even though it’s a more complicated kit, I’m having a much easier time with it, and I can’t really explain it. The nubs are just placed better, or the type of plastic? I don’t know. I haven’t made a mistake yet, while on the Epyon I broke a leg, put the very first dry transfer in the wrong place (“forcing” me to it 3 more in the wrong place to achieve some symmetry) and got a decals on the chest crooked.

The Wing Zero has water slide decals, which I’ve never used before. Do I want to put those on before or after I panel line? I still just used marker-type liners and cotton swabs. I don’t think I feel like going out of my way to get topcoat or marker setter or anything else new.

Panel line before you apply the decals.
It's much easier to clean up the panel lining when you don't have to avoid decals. You can end up damaging or removing the decals rubbing off the excess panel lining, and you can smear it into the decal, which will outline it in an ugly way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NspIScHf-to

I don't read Japanese but apparently there's a reprint of Gundam 00 kits happening.

Not just 00 kits. A lot of stuff that's been out of circulation for a while is apparently coming back, including the G-Self.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1765938792643641524?t=8dOfdHOsd2TkuixUjDkHhA&s=19

Display of new gunpla coming March 22

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i guess i'm getting better at this

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Got 98% of the painting done. All that's really left is the rifle so I'm trying to figure out some color separation. Shield is basically done I think but still masked. Messed with epoxy putty on the side skirts for the first time and it was okay but left some corner sharpness to be desired. Oh well - not a bad first shot at getting back into the hobby after a break

The side skirts ended up a little too bulky for my liking but unfortunately the connections for the Strike Freedom are these awful clips for the railguns so I was pretty limited with what I could use without doing some bashing

Zodack fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 10, 2024