Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hoth bacta tank scene but Luke is bathing in the restorative qualities of cerveza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Just finished season 1 of the Wire and I just started season 2.

For a show that is held up as ground breaking and realistic, it sure likes to use stereotypes and catchphrases a lot.

That being said, authority figures not caring about the overall mission in favor of their own personal ambitions is on the money tho. Whom among us hasn't worked for a boss like that?

I've heard season 2 is polarizing, you either love it or hate it. I dunno, the death of the American worker is something I've seen before. I'm sure that it's gonna tie into the drug trade, but I feel like some laborer lamenting that neoliberalism shipped off all the manufacturing jobs overseas has been done before, better, in other places.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

season 2 is good in theory but in practice the characters just aren't as appealing as the barksdale crew

frank is cool though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Okuteru posted:

I feel like some laborer lamenting that neoliberalism shipped off all the manufacturing jobs overseas has been done before, better, in other places.

you're watching a show that's 20 years old and complaining that everything in it has been done lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

*watching metropolis for the first time* robot was better in star wars

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

on the one hand ziggy is really frustrating to watch, but on the other hand, he hangs dong

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frank was one of my favs out of the whole show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah you definitely have to remember that the wire was made during the absolute height of ooh-rah cop dick-riding authoritarianism everywhere else on tv. people watching at the time definitely needed the anti capitalism 101 training wheels

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

Frank was one of my favs out of the whole show

frank deserved better

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Horseface deserved better

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need a cut of Dunc with the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack

What's the Dare to be Stupid scene?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

DUNC2 was good, the fight choreography was improved a bit I thought, all the Geidi Prime scenes were jaw dropping. Mild criticism is I know the whole point is that it's meant to be over in a flash, but I would welcome a few more minutes of the sandworms just loving everything up at the end before we transitioned back indoors. It felt like there were more random establishing shots of the Harkonnen colosseum than there were shots of the actual final battle happening

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah you definitely have to remember that the wire was made during the absolute height of ooh-rah cop dick-riding authoritarianism everywhere else on tv. people watching at the time definitely needed the anti capitalism 101 training wheels

Isn't David Simon a giant Lib on twitter?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Okuteru posted:

do you understand how Time works?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Okuteru posted:

He said it's possible there really was a person called Corn Pop.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Well, yeah, the war on terror still being fresh is key here. Season 1 even touches on it.

So far, I like Bunk, Avon, and Lester, amazing pimp that he is.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

do you understand how Time works?

What the gently caress are you on about?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
David Simon made his twitter account in 2012. The Wire stopping airing in 2008

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

David Simon made his twitter account in 2012. The Wire stopping airing in 2008

What does that have to do with anything?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Okuteru posted:

What does that have to do with anything?

so you don't understand how Time works

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
it's sometimes with balls and a cliff right?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

so you don't understand how Time works

No, it's more like that I have no clue what kind of case you are making.

What do I care when he made his twitter account?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Okuteru posted:

he is and also the wire is good

Bunk from The Wire once punched a woman because she was a bernie bro

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Okuteru posted:

No, it's more like that I have no clue what kind of case you are making.

What do I care when he made his twitter account?

Everything you've said about The Wire makes it sound like you are watching as if it is a show that came out last week, and it isn't.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the wire isn't by any stretch of the imagination anti capitalist lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

whoa this dude has Adam Smith's wealth of nations on his bookshelf, he's no ordinary gangster

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

it just being mildly critical of neoliberal economics was miles ahead of any other police procedural at the time

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
digital remaster of the wire with cgi omar added to the background of some scenes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it just being mildly critical of neoliberal economics was miles ahead of any other police procedural at the time

for sure. and it was a lot of fun too

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

digital remaster of the wire with cgi omar added to the background of some scenes

and he's saying "this is happening because of Capitalism" so people know the show is still good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

at the end of the finale Ian McShane shows up to recruit Bunk to the HBO Avengers with Chris from the Sopranos and Vince from Entourage

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Someone wrote a really good article about what Obama liking the Wire says, both about him, and the limits of its critique, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I remember seeing that too.

The Wire is great fun, the performances are good throughout and there's a lot of memorable stuff in there that's worth seeing. If you're looking for a TV series that accurately represents systems of capitalist extraction and racial/class oppression as it relates to American policing you will be looking for the rest of your life, but if you're looking for a show that takes a less evil fascist nightmare copaganda view of what cops are and how they work than the standard TV show or movie then The Wire is pretty good. It's more of a look at what police view to be their own motivations and what kind of things consciously drive them and the way the institutions form their practices than it is about any kind of ideological examination of white supremacy and structural violence and oppression.

And yes, David Simon is an evil liberal psychopath, but like Lovecraft was a straight up fascist and you can still enjoy his work and laugh at how effective he made fear of the other into stories that are still fun and engaging almost a century later. You're allowed to engage with works made by evil stupid people.

Flournival Dixon has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Mar 4, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Cookie Cutter posted:

DUNC2 was good, the fight choreography was improved a bit I thought, all the Geidi Prime scenes were jaw dropping. Mild criticism is I know the whole point is that it's meant to be over in a flash, but I would welcome a few more minutes of the sandworms just loving everything up at the end before we transitioned back indoors. It felt like there were more random establishing shots of the Harkonnen colosseum than there were shots of the actual final battle happening

yeah my main criticism is that it felt like being force-fed a gourmet meal. every single scene is breathtaking and amazing but there's no time to linger on any of it or break it up to breathe a little

giedi prime was apparently shot on IR cameras which is kinda nuts

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I've been thinking about what it must be like to watch Villeneuve's Dune movies without having read the books or being familiar with the story as it already was. It's such a strongly considered and carefully constructed image of what the story is that while I watched it I could only perceive it as a factual accounting of events that actually happened, which is a silly thing to say about events that didn't happen.

I also may have been on shrooms for the first one which helps a lot for the whole empathetic reaction and immersion factor.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flournival Dixon posted:

I've been thinking about what it must be like to watch Villeneuve's Dune movies without having read the books or being familiar with the story as it already was.

the story felt kind of rushed and silly

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lynch dune 2

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spielberg will do the next one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

Spielberg will do the next one

Please. It's time to pass the torch. JJ Abrams