Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

LeeMajors posted:

I ate too many loving tacos tonight blergh

There was a time in my life when four tacos was the right amount of tacos. I am sadly in an era where even three is now too many, but just two leaves me feeling hungry. :(

E: homemade or takeout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Freaquency posted:

According to the research it’s still much better over the course of the vehicles lifespan than an ICE vehicle

Like I don’t think EVs are the answer either but let’s try to at least keep the discussion somewhat grounded in evidence instead of just shooting from the hip

I get mine from a F1 engineer and a few other sources with no financial interest in it. Go ahead and eat diamond joes website. When every car manufacturer is having second thoughts, perhaps you should too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Quiet Feet posted:

E: homemade or takeout?

Ate out. Three massive tacos al pastor. Murdered me. Worth it though.

Fat Jesus posted:

I get mine from a F1 engineer and a few other sources with no financial interest in it. Go ahead and eat diamond joes website. When every car manufacturer is having second thoughts, perhaps you should too.

Any form factor of automobile is not the answer but boomers and US car culture are just dragging the rest of us into the fire. So gently caress it, let’s get nuts.

Anything that isn’t widespread high speed rail and localized light rail won’t make a dent ultimately. Much like I’m not going to take any blame for the systemic failing of our society, I’m not going to take the blame driving an ICE when there are literally no other practical transport options.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im on my first vacation in 10 years where I've actually gone to a place for a week. How good is sitting out looking at the ocean.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

swickles posted:

How do EVs fair in the cold? We didn't get below zero this year, but we did hit single digits for a week or so and its not uncommon to have stretches even colder.

Also, my electrical panel is basically maxed out with no free slots, so I would need to upgrade that as well, which I think I need to do anyway.

I've told this story a lot, but I rented a Tesla model 3 last year that purportedly had a heat pump for cold weather. I'm in a suburb north of Chicago and was driving 140 miles south to see my mom.

It was a balmy 40F so I figured all was well, but I struggled with the interface and my phone was almost dead since my charger didn't plug into the Tesla (it had the newer same end on both side thing)
Anyways, for much of the pure interstate drive, we had to stay below 70mph and put the heat at 60F, making my kid complain about cold, because the nearly new Tesla couldn't make it 140 miles otherwise. Range was cut in half from listed, essentially.

Finally we managed to find the only superchargers between Chicago and Champaign (a big ten town so not nowhere) and got things sorted. Had to charge I think 3 times that trip, ended up costing as much or more than gas would have. And each charge was like 15-20 minutes, exactly the wrong amount of time (too slow for a gas station break, too fast for something like seeing a movie).

An all around awful experience, I'm sure many people road trip their EVs, I have friends who do, but I question why anyone would do it, especially with kids.

Basically the range sucks at freeway speeds on a car that's faster than anything from the 1980s-90s, the range sucks if it isn't 70F, and this was with no elevation whatsoever.

I'd love to have a 3 car household like I remember growing up - a cheap beater work truck, an around town car (ev), etc. But those vehicles don't exist and yearly fees/insurance make that pretty untenable too.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when our current cars give out - family drives 5k miles a year but we often use both cars at the same time. I'd love an EV for all the short trips but they aren't making sub 10k ones.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 4, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Fat Jesus posted:

Maybe share your sources instead of being a prick then

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Real good, blindsite

Which beach?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Real good, blindsite

Which beach?

King's Beach on the Sunshine Coast. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Fat Jesus posted:

The car manufacturers are having second thoughts because EV's aren't a significant enough improvement in overall emissions over the lifetime of the vehicle?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Vegan tonyu red ramen & Return of the Jedi. Feeling like Yoda now & want to go to sleep, but I'm waiting for my tofu to finish on the smoker before I meal prep for the week.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

King's Beach on the Sunshine Coast. It's absolutely gorgeous.

I have never been but gosh darn do the internet search images look heavenly!

Beaches are so good for recharging the soul. Even if I fly out to like Hawaii, and basically just read on a beach with periodic swims, something about it is just magical.

Get that relaxation BlindSite!!!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

trevorreznik posted:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when our current cars give out - family drives 5k miles a year but we often use both cars at the same time. I'd love an EV for all the short trips but they aren't making sub 10k ones.

This is incidentally why we had to get a second car. Our 2017 Golf just cracked 20k miles, but we’ve hit the “two kids going two different places in the morning” age, so a second car it is.

Originally I didn’t want to go all electric for car #2 thinking that we’d just get something bigger that was a PHEV, but apparently they’re all just kind of old and bad.

Thankfully we almost never road trip and live in the Bay Area, so we’re unlikely to get burnt by the short range very often.

That said, I still have crazy range anxiety.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I did have 1 close call. Christmas work meeting/party, held at the office about 50 miles away. Was one of the coldest days of winter, I don't think anything of it, until i get out of the car at the office and the battery is at 47%.

I'm like whoops as all the chargers I know are in strip malls and the like... and it's a few days before christmas. I turned off the heat for most of the ride back and limped into my driveway at 2%, with the car screaming at me the entire last 20% about hey you should go find a charging station dumbass. I was at the point of dimming the nav screens and riding the eco bar indicator to conserve juice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

This week's meal prep: broccoli roasted in scallion-infused oil, stir fry (smoked tofu, mushrooms, red peppers, leeks, greens, leftover ramen broth as I ordered extra for dinner), and more quinoa than necessary.

Now I'm watching Aquaman & the Lost Kingdom on HBO.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

My sincerest condolences.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Timby posted:

My sincerest condolences.

I’m not a huge movie score guy, but Aquaman 2 was the first time I thought “this score is doing this movie absolutely no favors”

The rest of the movie isn’t great, but the score stuck out as particularly off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrimpy posted:

I’m not a huge movie score guy, but Aquaman 2 was the first time I thought “this score is doing this movie absolutely no favors”

The rest of the movie isn’t great, but the score stuck out as particularly off.

Like hell if I will re-watch Aquaman 2 anytime soon, but I believe the composer was Rupert Gregson-Williams, one of Hans Zimmer's robots at Remote Control Productions, where they just produce the same score for every single action movie, every drama, etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

EV batteries will find plenty of life after car where the density doesn't need to be as high since you're not driving it around.

And it’s a problem short term, because Europe is going to require sourcing and recycled contents minimums for all kinds of batteries by 2030, and that will de facto raise the requirements in the U.S. as well.

Re EV semi trucks: Don’t be surprised when Freightliner launches something with similar specs in the future. And yes, especially with the 300+ mile daily range, replacing semi trucks with EV trucks is a massive way to reduce fuel usage. Those heavy trucks use a ton of diesel.

Longer ranges for heavy trucks is also the one use case worth a drat for hydrogen fuel cells. Turns out diesel fuel is incredibly energy dense, and finding something similar is tough!

[Edit]

Fat Jesus posted:

They’re having second thoughts publicly now because they made expensive cars at a time when nobody has money to buy even midrange stuff. Never mind EV vs non. And the OEMs will drag their feet until there are legal regulations that say You Cannot Sell Gas/Diesel Vehicles At All. Full stop.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 4, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aquaman 2 was dumb & had some fun moments, but in the end this was the anti-Gestalt Theory (where the whole was not more than the sum of its parts).

Amber Heard's role being so minimized was also quite a choice. I recognize there was a lot of external things going on at the time so this was a reminder of :perjury:.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dunc: Part 2 ruled goddamn it's so good.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
can confirm
every single actor brings it
go see the dune 2

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I dune want to

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

I dune want to

Dune matter what you want.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Dunc: Part 2 ruled goddamn it's so good.

I really liked DUNC 2: Muad’Deux, and it made me want to reread the book which I last did well over a decade ago.

There were rumors or speculation they want to do a trilogy based on the the first sequel novel, which I never read, but the movies were so good that now I want to see them DUNC 3: Melange à Trois.

Its Rinaldo posted:

I dune want to

Dune yourself a disservice

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh my god the first day back from vacation is goddamn terrible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fartknocker posted:

I really liked DUNC 2: Muad’Deux, and it made me want to reread the book which I last did well over a decade ago.

There were rumors or speculation they want to do a trilogy based on the the first sequel novel, which I never read, but the movies were so good that now I want to see them DUNC 3: Melange à Trois.

Dune yourself a disservice

I have to fly to Cleveland for work tomorrow and I might try to get out to a theater to see Dune, if I have a free night. I read the first two books a couple of years ago, but stopped after the second book. I was starting to find the writing annoying. I think a trilogy based on the first two books would be good, as I think the second book would have an interesting ending to stop at. From my understanding the books get weirder as you go along, and something I doubt the movie going public would be terribly interested in. Dune Messiah had a tonal shift from the first book. It's also like 1/3 the size, so at least it would comfortably fit into the running time of one movie.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

From my understanding the books get weirder as you go along, and something I doubt the movie going public would be terribly interested in. Dune Messiah had a tonal shift from the first book. It's also like 1/3 the size, so at least it would comfortably fit into the running time of one movie.

Yeah, from the way I’ve heard people talk about them over the years, Dune Messiah is okay for what it is considering its shorter length compared to the first book, the rest of the Frank Herbert books get progressively crazier and one should stop reading at whatever point they get bored or weirded out or whatever, and everything by his son Brian should be ignored/avoided.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So does Dune Part 2 wrap up the first book or is it a cliff hanger and part of a trilogy?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
There’s more story to tell in the sequel but works as an ending if they never get to a sequel.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pops Mgee posted:

There’s more story to tell in the sequel but works as an ending if they never get to a sequel.

Pretty sure the third movie has already been greenlit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
9-0 that Trump can't be kicked off Colorado ballot because only Congress can remove Federal candidates. This is going to be messy given the various arguments about what the states can and cannot control over elections.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

9-0 is surprising but I refuse to read further

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it was 9-0. At best that means the Libs weren't willing to make it even look like it was a politicized decision.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

So does Dune Part 2 wrap up the first book or is it a cliff hanger and part of a trilogy?

It largely wraps things up, there are some bits dealt with differently than in the first book or earlier miniseries (in this latest version Paul’s sister isn’t actually born yet, Chani hasn’t accepted being Paul’s concubine instead of his wife, the Fremen actively begin their galactic crusade), but nothing that completely changes things, and as mentioned if it ended here it wouldn’t be completely jarring. I was a little disappointed we didn’t get Villanueva’s take on Guild Navigators, I’m also the one who wants a 4-5 hour cut of Dune Part 2 so take that with however many grains of salt you want

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Been funny to see TikTok reactions realizing Dune is based off of books and what Paul represents.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Kalli posted:

I mean it was 9-0. At best that means the Libs weren't willing to make it even look like it was a politicized decision.

It's really the only possible outcome. Letting states decide who can stand and can't stand for a federal election is gonna be a problem on both sides of the political aisle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

I actually think its a decent decision. There is only one elected nationwide position (well, 2, but they are linked together). It makes sense you would need a national body to exclude a candidate. If anything, this makes it more difficult for a group of states banding together to just exclude a candidate to make winning the EC impossible because they are a Democrat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I actually think it’s a decent decision.

I agree and it was always a silly lib dream to disappear the orange man.

I mean, I’d think fomenting an insurrection should be grounds for disqualification from office but Trump has uniquely exposed like every structural flaw of our form of government so everyone is compelled to inaction at all costs.

Building a slave state on an indigenous cemetery probably cemented our demise at the hands of someone like Trump. The purest distillation of the actual, ugly American ideals.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I agree and it was always a silly lib dream to disappear the orange man.

I mean, I’d think fomenting an insurrection should be grounds for disqualification from office but Trump has uniquely exposed like every structural flaw of our form of government so everyone is compelled to inaction at all costs.

Building a slave state on an indigenous cemetery probably cemented our demise at the hands of someone like Trump. The purest distillation of the actual, ugly American ideals.

He really is a totem for all of the worst parts of the foundation of this country that have never really gone away. Just an unapologetic person devoid of any positive qualities, apart from being one of the best posters to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

People probably overuse “the purpose of a system is what it does” but in this case the system has always funneled money upwards and killed poor people. It’s just honed that skill to a fine blade over the past 240 some odd years.

Someone like Trump is incapable of facing consequences because every single one of those capitalist piggies privately agrees with his darker impulses.

Neil Armbong posted:

one of the best posters to do it.

He’s such a good poster that you’ve actually got to hand to him.