Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240120070153/https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/liu-cixins-war-of-the-worlds

I love that liberal Potemkin democracy is an inflexible moral imperative, but providing for basic human necessities like healthcare, education, and housing is a bizarre misplaced priority of the inscrutable Communists

yes exactly that
i first saw it in the book barn's sf/f thread where it was iirc trotted out as evidence of liu cixin being bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Everyone works from home, thats the greenest way.

mila kunis posted:

microdistricts, walkable neighbourhoods, 15 minute cities, loads of public transport and infrastructure for cycling I assume

genericnick posted:

it's trains
those are great ways to have less car use but they're doing more and more of that stuff and already have the best train system but private car ownership keeps rising and the nev share is rising faster. they are also probably going to try to ease some of the problems caused by productive overcapacity by subsidizing domestic demand imo; normally they'd let the losers burn out, knowing byd and whoever else survives will just buy up any useful assets the failures had, but with the economy in a precarious state i think they're less inclined to do that. so the ev tire thing is gonna keep being an issue (i have high confidence that they will address the other major issues of regulating away the more combustible or unsustainable battery chemistries and continuing to increase the grid's capacity to charge tons of cars using higher proportions of renewable energy). don't really see anyone else solving the issue unless someone just gets lucky and discovers some weird biochemical quirk that enables a miraculous cheap natural rubber production method

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Chinese Unity engine has advanced features not available globally lol I thought of the discussion a few pages back where even McKinsey does good work in China. Unity has been chasing its tail half assing dev while floundering in stockholder pleasing bullshit for so long, but in China the local office is independent and they split off their own fork of the engine which has been getting rapid fire development of new features.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

study room with 2000 editions of marxist works :eyepop:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

Chinese Unity engine has advanced features not available globally lol I thought of the discussion a few pages back where even McKinsey does good work in China. Unity has been chasing its tail half assing dev while floundering in stockholder pleasing bullshit for so long, but in China the local office is independent and they split off their own fork of the engine which has been getting rapid fire development of new features.

hell yes

Unity engine with Chinese characteristics

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240120070153/https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/liu-cixins-war-of-the-worlds

I love that liberal Potemkin democracy is an inflexible moral imperative, but providing for basic human necessities like healthcare, education, and housing is a bizarre misplaced priority of the inscrutable Communists

flabbergasted to learn that a guy who wrote a story about how reflexive fetishization of alien cultures as inherently superior leads to significantly worse outcomes than just trying to improve your own culture thinks that fetishizing western democracy is bad

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

FuzzySlippers posted:

lol that's crazy.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/Parrots38/status/1764225488413688285

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:iiam:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

exmarx posted:

code:
https://twitter.com/Parrots38/status/1764225488413688285

lmao.

i quoted this post in the ukraine thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

hell yes

Unity engine with Chinese characteristics

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

if the macroplastics haven't killed me yet then why should i worry about the tiny baby plastics?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Just saying that Guncotton doesn't use actual cotton.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tankbuster posted:

While true
a) casual readers don't know that and
b) an ever escalating trade war combined with bellicose rhetoric might just cause China to decide to stop selling you poo poo you need to start a war with them

which means the point of the story is still true, just slightly more indirectly so.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

You're saying the European MIC wouldn't use what is presumably a much more expensive source of cellulose?

Seems pretty sus

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Someone pointed out that China stopped selling the guncotton a while ago but they only reported it now (France24) so there is a reason for it. Also the European Parliament is trying to pass some anti One Chiba China Policy annual report.

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2024/03/01/2003814279

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Mar 4, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
One Chibi policy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1764531550044225961

oh cool we're also importing this aspect of American culture now

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

A valid U.S. visa didn’t stop these Chinese graduate students from being deported posted:

More than a dozen Chinese graduate students holding valid U.S. visas are the latest pawns amid the rising political tensions between the two countries.

In the past 3 months, students in Ph.D. science programs at Yale University, Johns Hopkins University, and other major U.S. research universities have been denied re-entry after visiting family in China—and immediately sent back home. Why they were blocked is unclear. But their institutions are scrambling to find ways for these students, some of whom are banned from returning to the United States for 5 years, to complete their research and earn their degrees.

It included an 8-hour interrogation and a body search by agents of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), 12 hours in solitary confinement, and the required purchase of a $3700 one-way ticket to Beijing. “How did I end up back here?” she lamented in a blog posted by the news unit of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

The specter of being denied re-entry despite holding a valid visa, Berger says, has led many Chinese students to wonder whether earning an advanced degree from a U.S. university is worth the potential cost: forsaking all foreign travel for the entirety of their graduate training to avoid running afoul of U.S. immigration law. "Although it’s still a relatively small number of people, it’s having a real chilling effect,” Berger says about the recent incidents.

shooting myself in the dick, racistly

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Imagine telling someone you fled Russia for the US in 1991 and that person writes, "Did he not know that the US is a democracy?"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

post COVID posted:

Brain drain wasn't essential for American 20th century success, right?

We definitely don't rely on imported Doctors and scientists.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/magne_toes/status/1764539697030742425

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

post COVID posted:

just mass producing qian xuesens and then wondering why the chinese are overtaking you in most every field of science and technology

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cerebral Bore posted:

just mass producing qian xuesens and then wondering why the chinese are overtaking you in most every field of science and technology

Obviously not enough export controls!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2024-03-03/young-hong-kongers-who-defied-xi-are-now-partying-in-china

It cannot be overstated how incredibly well china solved the hong kong issue. Westoid brains are still broken

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
cheap food and massages, huh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2024-03-03/young-hong-kongers-who-defied-xi-are-now-partying-in-china

It cannot be overstated how incredibly well china solved the hong kong issue. Westoid brains are still broken

political apathy in hong kong is bad but in the UK/US its extremely good

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Uncle Xi's Greater Hong Kong Bay Area

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Xi is just buying the loyalty of his own citizens by giving them things that make their lives better! That's authoritarian that is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

imo they should start building a lot more public housing in hong kong, i bet that would go a long way

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

fart simpson posted:

imo they should start building a lot more public housing in hong kong, i bet that would go a long way

They should, but that would require acquiring the land and the US would absolutely use that for another attempt at a color revolution.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^
Nah the land developers are squatting on some of the good lands. So HK government probably either change the law or just move the new development zone closer to SZ in new city centers.

Look, there is no reason for HK to have 2x higher cost of living and real estate price and everything else compared to SZ and GZ next door, since China no longer need a custom port, import/export border city in her manufacturing base. Plus the population of HK is way too big for such a specialized role.

It's just going to slow transformations to integrate HK into Guangdong province. Beijing doesn't want to grab the four real estate families and put "counter revolutionary" cone hats on them and parade them around the city and shoot them publicly, so they are going to take the slow route to transform HK. I have no ill will upon any HK young people, they want to stay in HK and continue make their livings or apply BNO half citizenship in Britain, it's entirely up to them.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Mar 4, 2024

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I think it was here that I learned about the Wave Media channel that covered a lot of China centric topics. Just saw they decided to interview Jackson Hinkle about 'MAGA communism' and the replies are full of people praising him. I unfollowed that channel immediately lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is it viable to live in one of the other bay cities and commute to HK?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

post COVID posted:

$3700 for a ticket wtf

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mila kunis posted:

you can get away with living in shenzhen and commuting to hong kong, i have known a few people to do it. there's schoolchildren that do that every day to go to school too.

but i think theres more people going the other direction, living in hong kong and working in the mainland. if you live in hong kong and work in shenzhen you can commute every day, but theres also a lot of hong kong guys who rent a cheap apartment in a further area of shenzhen, or guangzhou, or foshan, or wherever, and they only go back home to hong kong on the weekends

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

Yeah some HK families live in SZ side and commute to HK, including their kindergarten aged children. The part of SZ border HK is pretty expensive though.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

mila kunis posted:

the commute isn't bad i paid 30 bucks and sat in a supercool first class spaceship rear end seat from Guangzhou to HK. there's a customs check but I don't think Chinese citizens have to deal with it

guangzhou is way cooler than Hong Kong though, they've got all these bars and clubs in this unused port facility on the south side of the river. can't think of a reason to prefer HK nightlife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol, i couldn't finish the article. it's bad enough when you know how misleading normal western media is, but i don't need to read about "boycotting chinese-owned restaurants" lmfao

also, i went to shenzhen like 20 years ago and HK locals were already going there for cheaper poo poo.