Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I bought some generic Pyrex mixing bowls off amazon in 2020 or so and they’ve held up fine. I dont use them to cook or anything though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Outrail posted:

Funders will not pay for core staffing, even if it improves organisational functions and saves money. Funding must be spend on projects and not staff time or overhead costs.

This applies to grants with a focus on improving organisational functions. I had a grant that specified the funding could be used for fundraising, but not for fundraising work, paying for a fundraising position, or anything that would bring in money for the organisation. So basically we could use the money to hire someone to develop a fundraising plan, but not implement it.

I thought the standard response to this was to hire "project" roles and then find the permanent money before the grant is over to rehire them full time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Large Testicles posted:

drat, my parents must have had the old poo poo then cause I was used to being able to put whatever in it. Apparently you can still get the good stuff in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

pyrex is the garbage poo poo, PYREX is the good stuff

There are a lot of companies in Turkey that make borosilicate cookware (known as "borcam" in Turkish). In fact, as of 2023, Turkey has the largest reserves of boron globally in 2023 at an estimated 950 million tons of refined borates -- by comparison, in second place was the USA with a mere 48 million tons (sad!).

Keep an eye out for "Made in Turkey/Türkiye."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

withak posted:

The newer stuff is supposedly harder to break while dropping or otherwise banging around. Just not as good with heat.

Considering the company's name, they should be hear-resistant. If they want to tout the durability of the product, they shoud call it Durex.

Yes, I know the name's taken. I don't care. Do it anyway.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

withak posted:

Pyrex hasn’t been borosilicate since the 80s.

French pyrex is apparently still borosilicate.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Duck and Cover posted:

French pyrex is apparently still borosilicate.

It's crazy how many Americans insist it's the best country on Earth, forever, when people in many other countries get to keep the good things from the past, and we get overcharged the broken poo poo because every single American company hates its customers and isn't even trying to hide it anymore.

e: the companies in other countries still hate their customers, but they also seem to hide it a lot better.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 4, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Time_pants posted:

It's crazy how many Americans insist it's the best country on Earth, forever, when people in many other countries get to keep the good things from the past, and we get overcharged the broken poo poo because every single American company hates its customers and isn't even trying to hide it anymore.

I watched the French news in 2003 during the run up to the US invasion of Iraq, and it was night/day compared to US media.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I know someone was talking about how lovely the grips on the tools become but apparently if you want borosilicate glassware in the US now, OXO makes it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Time_pants posted:

e: the companies in other countries still hate their customers, but they also seem to hide it a lot better.

Yeah but stocks? Did you think about stocks? It's a magic money machine that will never ever end and only makes everything poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 4, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LividLiquid posted:

I just fell rear end-backwards into being a board member of a nonprofit just by saying yes when asked by somebody I hadn't seen since college and I'm already so, so confused by how everything works.

You've either made a trivial time commitment with virtually no responsibility or a terrible mistake. Godspeed.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I thought the standard response to this was to hire "project" roles and then find the permanent money before the grant is over to rehire them full time.

The correct answer is to commit what is technically several instances of fraud and embezzlement as you cook the books, and commit additional crimes such as forgery and lying to government officials to 'make it work'. Provided everything was in service of the organisation and you didn't benefit personally, all is accepted and forgiven and expected by everyone and nobody says anything if you keep your mouth shut. Except when it's not okay, then you get into a lot of trouble.

If you hang on long enough you become big enough to succeed, somehow. Hopefully you've figured out how to do it without doing things you'll get in trouble for.

Why do con artists prey on the non-profit sector?
Why is everyone in the industry angry, confused or abused?
Why is the industry so loving inefficient and wasteful?

:iiam:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 4, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think the borosilicate issue is mostly companies being lovely, but I think there is also a genuine supply issue in north america as well. I've heard people working in labs talking about it becoming harder to get genuine borosilicate lab-grade glassware as well, and some having to import it from overseas.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think the borosilicate issue is mostly companies being lovely, but I think there is also a genuine supply issue in north america as well. I've heard people working in labs talking about it becoming harder to get genuine borosilicate lab-grade glassware as well, and some having to import it from overseas.

kinda makes sense if you saw what was posted upthread

mawarannahr posted:

There are a lot of companies in Turkey that make borosilicate cookware (known as "borcam" in Turkish). In fact, as of 2023, Turkey has the largest reserves of boron globally in 2023 at an estimated 950 million tons of refined borates -- by comparison, in second place was the USA with a mere 48 million tons (sad!).

Keep an eye out for "Made in Turkey/Türkiye."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The new pyrex is way fuckin more durable than the old stuff. The only situation where the old stuff is better is if you're doing some dumb poo poo like going straight from the freezer to the oven.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cerekk posted:

The new pyrex is way fuckin more durable than the old stuff. The only situation where the old stuff is better is if you're doing some dumb poo poo like going straight from the freezer to the oven.

Which is to say, the sort of uses that one might specifically buy pyrex for, as opposed to some other glassware brand.

It's like turning McDonald's into a sushi restaurant chain, then being confused at any complaints because sushi is awesome.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So, we've discussed about the bullshit ads that play when you're getting gas. Someone wrote "mute!" with an arrow with a sharpy pointing to a button. So I pushed it, and yep, it muted. YMMV

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Philthy posted:

So, we've discussed about the bullshit ads that play when you're getting gas. Someone wrote "mute!" with an arrow with a sharpy pointing to a button. So I pushed it, and yep, it muted. YMMV

it varies between pump manufactures tho so your best bet is to just stab all the buttons and hope one shuts it up

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Outrail posted:

You've either made a trivial time commitment with virtually no responsibility or a terrible mistake. Godspeed.
Hey, you fuckin' rear end in a top hat. I've almost certainly made a made a huge time commitment with TONS of responsibility that's also a terrible mistake. :mad:

Edit: And worse yet, it's a volunteer position until the org comes back properly after shutting down from Covid.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 4, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LividLiquid posted:

Hey, you fuckin' rear end in a top hat. I'm almost certainly made a made a huge time commitment with TONS of responsibility that's also a terrible mistake. :mad:

Edit: And worse yet, it's a volunteer position until the org comes back properly after shutting down from Covid.

I can't argue with that. God speed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cerekk posted:

The only situation where the old stuff is better is if you're doing some dumb poo poo like going straight from the freezer to the oven.

that's the whole fuckin point of borosilicate

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

my measuring cup earlier wasn't even cold, it was room temperature and i only put like 170f water into it. i can put hotter water into my plastic ones with out them loving up

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your plastic containers can handle a lot more strain than glass can.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Outrail posted:

I can't argue with that. God speed
Thank you. It's a queer org, and I'm the only trans person on the board, so at least I only have the "I don't know what I'm doing" impostor syndrome, and not "my voice has no meaning here."

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

withak posted:

Your plastic containers can handle a lot more strain than glass can.

yeah, i understand that but the boro stuff could handle it too, that was the whole original point of this conversation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They break easier if you bang them into stuff tho.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

withak posted:

i get :justpost: but you should probably read the thread before you do

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

it varies between pump manufactures tho so your best bet is to just stab all the buttons and hope one shuts it up

until pump manufacturers start adding a button that makes you tip them $5

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Outrail posted:

The correct answer is to commit what is technically several instances of fraud and embezzlement as you cook the books, and commit additional crimes such as forgery and lying to government officials to 'make it work'. Provided everything was in service of the organisation and you didn't benefit personally, all is accepted and forgiven and expected by everyone and nobody says anything if you keep your mouth shut. Except when it's not okay, then you get into a lot of trouble.

If you hang on long enough you become big enough to succeed, somehow. Hopefully you've figured out how to do it without doing things you'll get in trouble for.

Because the alternative is the government providing easy access to resources for the well-being of the entire country. Since doing that might make a rich person have to pay more in tax, which I have been reliably been informed is a greater injustice than the Holocaust and chattel slavery combined.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
To any confused people, there is an actual difference between PYREX & pyrex. I do recall seeing PYREX in Australia a long time ago, but I think it's now only a special order item for chemistry stuff, most cooking supply places now sell pyrex instead.

TLDR: PYREX is made with more heat resistant borosilicate glass & sold in a few places outside the US, pyrex in America uses much less heat resistant tempered soda lime glass. Thermal shock is very nasty for both glass types however, so sudden shifts to very hot to very cold or vice versa, still aren't advised.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

withak posted:

Oh. You're not arguing in good faith and everyone can scroll right past anything you say. Thanks for coming right out and admitting it early in this derail.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Livo posted:

To any confused people, there is an actual difference between PYREX & pyrex. I do recall seeing PYREX in Australia a long time ago, but I think it's now only a special order item for chemistry stuff, most cooking supply places now sell pyrex instead.

TLDR: PYREX is made with more heat resistant borosilicate glass & sold in a few places outside the US, pyrex in America uses much less heat resistant tempered soda lime glass. Thermal shock is very nasty for both glass types however, so sudden shifts to very hot to very cold or vice versa, still aren't advised.

I have a borosilicate weed pipe that is almost 20 years old and trucking after plenty of adventures in the mountains and desert

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wash bucket posted:

I bought a stainless steel pot off Amazon from a name brand and it corroded and pitted after the first use. Now I get to try and guess if it was counterfeit or if that brand just makes poo poo cookware now.

It’s made of CYBERTRUCK alloy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wash bucket posted:

I bought a stainless steel pot off Amazon from a name brand and it corroded and pitted after the first use. Now I get to try and guess if it was counterfeit or if that brand just makes poo poo cookware now.

It's disturbingly likely that both options are true

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's also possible that the pots have always been poo poo but in every other instance they received a counterfeit that had better quality control than the real thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Philthy posted:

In Oregon we aren't allowed to pump our own gas so the attendants have to deliver the ads to you themselves while you wait.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Dip Viscous posted:

It's also possible that the pots have always been poo poo but in every other instance they received a counterfeit that had better quality control than the real thing.
I work with iron and stainless in construction and fabrication for my job and have for several years and only recently learned that you can contaminate stainless by dinging it/rub or having it touch on carbon steel.

Like if you use a grinding disk or wire wheel for carbon and then use it near stainless and any sparks/dust touches it, the stainless will rust/pit or using steel to prop up stainless you are welding.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 4, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Outrail posted:

Calling the nonprofit sector an "industry" just kind of puts the whole thing a nutshell.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
idk if its because of the presence or lack of borosilicate or if i just got very unlucky but i dropped a pyrex measuring cup recently and it shattered into 1 trillion pieces. never seen glass shatter so thoroughly. lesson learned... really try not to drop those

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 4, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Woolie Wool posted:

Calling the nonprofit sector an "industry" just kind of puts the whole thing a nutshell.

This is a good point. I guess more accurately there's a non-profit funding industry, and then thousands of non-profits operating on the fringes of every industry or creating new micro industries in neglected pockets of society. And combined they employ 10% of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Large Testicles posted:

drat, my parents must have had the old poo poo then cause I was used to being able to put whatever in it. Apparently you can still get the good stuff in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

pyrex is the garbage poo poo, PYREX is the good stuff

That's what curtailing the free market got us.