Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dienes posted:

Wonder how much of that is to hide loading.

All of it, its a pretty classic way of doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the topic of loading, it's only a couple seconds, but it's super weird that loading a new round in the combat simulator in rebirth takes almost as long as fast travelling on the map.

It's a single level that gets reused, and all it does is load in 1-3 enemy models plus 1-3 party members... Yet it takes as long as loading into a city.
Makes me wonder if they hosed up and have hard references to all the assets that could possibly be used in it, or something.
(Which would cause unreal to load all assets (in low quality) into memory before the level opens, even ones not explicitly used in that combat section. Depends entirely on how they've programmed the system.)

The part really dragging it down for me: there's a sidequest that forces you to play fort condor to complete it and I really don't like it at all. (Even if the models and dialogue are cute.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I remember really enjoying Majesty a long, long time ago. I installed Majesty 2 and what a tedious game this is. The most obnoxiously frustratingly tedious RTS. It's just non-stop defense against an unending onslaught of enemies, right from the start. The entire mission, from second 1 to the final part is just spent dealing with the never ending attack. Even the very first mission illustrates this in a way that feels unintentional. Your mission is to protect a merchant from point A to point B, and if you fail, you have to wait until a trading post respawns it. But even when this is introduced; the merchant is killed before the cutscene showing it appear is over. Because it spawns right in the middle of a bunch of enemies who kill it instantly. The text condemning me for my sloppy management appears before the voiced narration even finishes explaining that I need to protect it. There are sewers in your city that spawn enemies. They never stop, and you can't get rid of these. You can't do anything about it. Your town watch sucks, their zone of interest is so narrow, they'll walk right by a house being demolished by a rat. Your soldiers and wizards and poo poo won't do anything unless you select the enemy and then increase the bounty until someone WHO MAY BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP decides it's worth their time to go kill it, meanwhile all the other soldiers just ignore it. Buildings take loving forever to build and your peasants are constantly being killed by everything because town watch doesn't do poo poo. I started building a guard tower at the beginning of the map, and by the time I finished the mission it still hadn't been completed because rats spawn and eat the peasants trying to build it while the town watch wanders by oblivious to it.

The second level begins with like 18 skeletons charging right into your base from all sides. They murder everyone, destroy all the peasant houses, and then stand around and wait while your castle slowly spawns a town watch, who goes and deals some damage to the skeletons before getting killed. This isn't a narrative thing, it's just the way the game is. By the time all the skeletons have been killed, and you spawn a few more peasants, who make some progress on building your first couple of buildings, a second wave of 18 skeletons come. After every wave, while you sit waiting for things to spawn, you are slightly, ever so slightly stronger.

Astoundingly unfun to play.

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Mar 4, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

The second level begins with like 18 skeletons charging right into your base from all sides. They murder everyone, destroy all the peasant houses, and then stand around and wait while your castle slowly spawns a town watch, who goes and deals some damage to the skeletons before getting killed. This isn't a narrative thing, it's just the way the game is. By the time all the skeletons have been killed, and you spawn a few more peasants, who make some progress on building your first couple of buildings, a second wave of 18 skeletons come. After every wave, while you sit waiting for things to spawn, you are slightly, ever so slightly stronger.

Astoundingly unfun to play.

that's bad mission scripting, the devs expected you to have your city built up before you explored to find and reclaim the border towers, but random hero wandering can cause them to walk into the scripted trigger zone and cue the end of mission skeleton fight, and once they kill everything in the area they go for your main base

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Stop spawning peasants - you may not realise it, but they contain skeletons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Didn’t the first Majesty have a similar problem where the mission scripting made some levels basically impossible unless you got really lucky?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nioh and Nioh 2: Why the hell doesn't the dodge give you invulnerability frames, this game's controls are half finished

(slowed down 50%)
https://i.imgur.com/uVc0D7v.mp4

edit: I looked it up and there are i-frames. You have a whopping 10 frames, in the middle of the dodge. That's hosed up.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Mar 4, 2024

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
Nioh doesn't emphasize i-frames because it has a well balanced blocking mechanic that the game is built around. You may as well ask why Sekiro or Lies of P doesn't have a ton of I-frames.

If you want to play a action brawler where the core defensive mechanic is rolling with I-frames, you have Demons Souls, 3 Dark Souls games and Elden Ring. If the adjustment is giving you trouble, that's a classic skill issue. Not even saying that as an insult - Nioh, Sekiro and Lies of P are all really infamous for frustrating the hell out of players that are too comfortable with the tough (but very simple) Dark Souls combat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah, if the game's got a dodge button it should be effective. Don't let me do it if it doesn't do anything.

edit: Look at that distance, it's not even good for repositioning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
btw before you ever do the high and mighty "skill issue" routine maybe consider the other party has beaten the game already

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Played through Halo for the first time and whoever thought the last level needs to be a Warthog Level with a time limit needs to be punched. Jesus christ does this thing drive like poo poo.
Also, even though theres a story beat in the middle you dont get a checkpoint. Slide off of some bridge or flip the piece of poo poo once to many? Start the whole mission over again!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CJacobs posted:

Nah, if the game's got a dodge button it should be effective. Don't let me do it if it doesn't do anything.

edit: Look at that distance, it's not even good for repositioning.

*again notes how this applies to the FF7 Remake*

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im gonna do it anyway and Nioh borrows a lot from Ninja Gaiden one of them more important one being

Holy poo poo do not let go of the block button.

Block is kinda amazing because there's no hit stun on block so you can immediately cancel the block into a dodge. This can be used to escape combos while the opponent flails ineffectively at nothing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I-frames are a game design crutch for games that can't do repositioning and attack timing as an important part of combat. :colbert:

I say this as a big fan of Monster Hunter and Soulslikes.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

Nioh and Nioh 2: Why the hell doesn't the dodge give you invulnerability frames, this game's controls are half finished

(slowed down 50%)

edit: I looked it up and there are i-frames. You have a whopping 10 frames, in the middle of the dodge. That's hosed up.

I think you are have some really bad sources, my experience and every source I can find has the iframes start at the start of the dodge. Maybe stop dodging so early that you are almost standing up after the second dodge when the enemy strikes, or just use the stance that's explicitly for dodging instead of the one for parrying. Also lol at it not being good for repositioning when you end up like 10 metres away.

My dodging thing dragging games down is the "trend" of pushing you to dodge through attacks instead of actually evading them, if I wanted to stand in the path of attacks, that's what blocking, parrying and cross counters are for.

Hel has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

I-frames are a game design crutch for games that can't do repositioning and attack timing as an important part of combat. :colbert:

It's also part of how videogames for whatever reason have soured on perfect block so every character now either needs to be a parry master or be diving and rolling around on the ground. The first training knights would get when they donned their plate armour would be from a gymnastics coach who would teach them the ways of tumbling and somersaulting.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
FF7 Rebirth, I am very much enjoying the majority of it but I'm playing it on Dynamic difficulty, which I believe is supposed to make it so you can't out level the main game and is supposed to always be challenging. What I've found is most of the main game bosses are very easy, 80% of the challenge fiend battles are also very easy and then 20% of them seem ridiculously overtuned and result in my entire party being bounced around like ragdolls or instantly gigablasted, I have to spend my first ATB bar on assess to find out how to gently caress them up and it just feels very much like a trap.

Also the sit-up minigame is loving horrific and I noped out of it after doing the first level of it for the subquest, I think I'll live without getting the champions belt in this one. I'm 4 years older, my hands aren't able to do it and the triggers on the PS5 controller are much worse to try and do that on than the face buttons were in the Remake.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

CJacobs posted:

btw before you ever do the high and mighty "skill issue" routine maybe consider the other party has beaten the game already

Tbh now I'm confused that the dodging bugged you that much. I loved the controls, but that fight with Oni Shibata Katsuie gave me a drat migrane, I can't think of any other boss in any action game that just completely wrecked me like that bastard.

Also there's some very good dlc for the game that is totally worth trying out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
You got to put levels in adaptability

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The ship combat in Star Trader Frontiers drags it down. Its just RNG if a ship appears while traveling and sometimes you can bribe or allow a hostile ship to rob you, but there are times where its just gently caress you, we're fighting to the death. You can retreat, and I've attempted to spec out my ship for retreating. But most of my games end when my small scout ship, using crew talents to give a sizeable buff to my escape chance, just can't escape from a bigger ship and as soon as the enemy starts hitting my ship its chances to retreat drop even lower. And then all I can do is hit end turn while watching my ship slowly get destroyed because there is no surrender button to speed things up. On top of this is how lethal getting hit is, cause your ship doesn't just take damage and suffer negative effects, your crew will also take damage. I've tried boarding hostile ships just to see that my soldiers were already killed. Kitting out a ship for proper combat is hella expensive and I don't really feel like some super secret spy or a planetary explorer when it seems to be a requirement to skill up a crew for ship combat and burn my cash on making a fighter ship.

It doesn't help that in order to be able to unlock stuff for future playthroughs you need to play on hard mode which has permadeath, so a bunch of my games just end as soon as I get into a ship fight I can't escape from.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Pretty annoyed at the level cap in BG3. I maxed out days ago and I still have about a dozen more side quests to do. 12 isn't even a milestone level. Like I wish I unlocked some cool new abilities for my party.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The quest in Skyrim where you have to shadow Gulum-Ei was hilariously broken for me. At one point my companion had to get out of his way for him to reach his destination and he still didn't notice that he was being followed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

The ship combat in Star Trader Frontiers drags it down. Its just RNG if a ship appears while traveling and sometimes you can bribe or allow a hostile ship to rob you, but there are times where its just gently caress you, we're fighting to the death. You can retreat, and I've attempted to spec out my ship for retreating. But most of my games end when my small scout ship, using crew talents to give a sizeable buff to my escape chance, just can't escape from a bigger ship and as soon as the enemy starts hitting my ship its chances to retreat drop even lower. And then all I can do is hit end turn while watching my ship slowly get destroyed because there is no surrender button to speed things up. On top of this is how lethal getting hit is, cause your ship doesn't just take damage and suffer negative effects, your crew will also take damage. I've tried boarding hostile ships just to see that my soldiers were already killed. Kitting out a ship for proper combat is hella expensive and I don't really feel like some super secret spy or a planetary explorer when it seems to be a requirement to skill up a crew for ship combat and burn my cash on making a fighter ship.

It doesn't help that in order to be able to unlock stuff for future playthroughs you need to play on hard mode which has permadeath, so a bunch of my games just end as soon as I get into a ship fight I can't escape from.

One strategy that worked for me (at least early game) is to kit out my party for boarding, then slam that close-in button as quickly and as frequently as possible. Also, while I might do a little of the early Game of Thrones-esque stuff to get some XP, I generally ignore the main(ish) plot to putter about at my own pace, so maybe that could work? Also, depending on how you view this sort of thing, it might be prudent to note down a good seed you like and just keep playing that.

Mind you, I managed to unlock most of the unlocks when the game first released, so my current experience might differ greatly from your, sorry :shobon:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

(slowed down 50%)

Nioh's dodge sucks rear end. I opted to simply never dodge and instead just kill everything while standing right in front of it like a true mastermind. I refuse to switch stances, too. Still beat the game and got to some of the higher difficulties before just getting burnt out on how repetitive the game was. Which is my big issue with the game: please don't make me replay through the whole rear end story if you're going to lock literally all of the good content behind playing on the final and highest difficulty and everything else being relegated to "just use whatever until you get to the highest difficulty".

grittyreboot posted:

Pretty annoyed at the level cap in BG3. I maxed out days ago and I still have about a dozen more side quests to do. 12 isn't even a milestone level. Like I wish I unlocked some cool new abilities for my party.

I capped almost immediately at act 3, like while I was exploring the circus I hit level 12 and it just absolutely destroyed my interest in exploring baldur's gate because there wasn't really any reason to engage with most of it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leal posted:

manual save scumming is my suggestion for that sort of bullshit :thumbsup:

tho you usually have to turn off steam cloud sync for whatever game you're doing it for to work right

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I capped almost immediately at act 3, like while I was exploring the circus I hit level 12 and it just absolutely destroyed my interest in exploring baldur's gate because there wasn't really any reason to engage with most of it.

LOL the content itself is the point jeez goons

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I also got annoyed at the level cap in BG3. I didn't cap quite as early as Nuebot and I was more than happy to continue playing for the content, but it did feel pretty sad and anemic to not have anything to hope for in terms of character progression other than the occasional gear upgrade (which also get fewer and further between the further you go in the game).

If you monoclass, 12 is a "milestone," though - you get a feat. lol jk feats in that game are boring as hell. actually that brings up another complaint, which is that if you're not trying to powergame and just level up people naturally monoclass, several classes have huge gaps where nothing interesting happens. Karlach is a great character but you might as well throw levels 6-12 of barbarian into the loving dumpster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The loot in Act 3 is crazy, that's where most of the character progression lies past Level 12 and the itemization is frankly a lot more interesting than most 5E abilities anyway.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Hitting max level "that early" is cool and good. You get to actually spend time tooling around at max level, instead of having to scrounge for exp so you don't hit max level while in the final dungeon.

Pathfinder WOTR only giving you rank 10 of some Mythic Paths while you're in the can-not-be-left final dungeon was terrible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There were times I felt a tinge of disappointment at getting to level cap early in Act 3 but then I remembered all of the times I've played a game where it felt lovely to get end-game abilities at... well, the end of the game. Especially if the game has NG+ and you're not really expecting to go through it, those games tend to make your first playthrough simply the foundation of what your character(s) can do. Assuming a combat system is deep enough to keep you engaged without giving you new presents to unwrap the whole way through, I much prefer having my character "set" for a good long while towards the end.

Also it was nice to have choices about what to do not influenced by earning XP.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I started reading a book the other day but then I realised there were no levels so what's the point?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Roblo posted:

I started reading a book the other day but then I realised there were no levels so what's the point?

I know you're kidding but Goodreads has kind of gamified books for lots of people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leal posted:

Sounds like a no-win situation. Have you considered cheating?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hit a bug in Pacific Drive the other day where, after returning to the garage from a failed run (intentionally, wanted the trophy), the game basically froze every couple seconds. Briefly, but long enough to be extremely annoying. I had just completed the second-last mission, my last not-auto save was before that, and I was really worried I was going to need to load it and do things again.

Thankfully after stuttering my way out to another run and abandoning it again, the problem resolved itself. Thank goodness, that might've ended my game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

big mean giraffe posted:

LOL the content itself is the point jeez goons

Rewards are content

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm content with no rewards

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Rewards are content

Nuebot posted:

Nioh's dodge sucks rear end. I opted to simply never dodge and instead just kill everything while standing right in front of it like a true mastermind. I refuse to switch stances, too.

you are incredibly stupid. Goodbye.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Morpheus posted:

I say this as a big fan of Monster Hunter and Soulslikes.

Hel posted:

My dodging thing dragging games down is the "trend" of pushing you to dodge through attacks instead of actually evading them, if I wanted to stand in the path of attacks, that's what blocking, parrying and cross counters are for.

I agree, I think that dodging i-frames are bad design. Using a dodge to move out of the line of fire quickly (and possibly with a smaller hot box) makes sense, but staying in the line of fire and using the i-frames to have the attack phase through you does seem like just another version of parry. (Also, not that these games are based on realism, but why would why a giant warhammer pass through my characters body with no damage just because they are curled up?)

But it feels like many games design around using dodge for the i-frames instead of repositioning (that is, the time from when the attack is signalled to when it lands and the reach of the attack is such that the player can't dodge out of the way and must dodge through it).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
whoops, wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

Nuebot posted:

It actually rules that a thorough player can hit lvl 12 early in act 3, because it means there is a huge chunk of the game where the player can feel free to respec their character and experiment with the insane build variety. If you've kept your eyes peeled you'll probably have collected a bunch of armor sets for different builds. It is extremely cool to be able to try them out without needing to dedicate myself to another playthrough.

The main thing that drug down BG3 for me was using a summoner build. The hitboxes near launch were complete nonsense and my cursor would randomly decide I was targeting my summoned fire elementals so frequently that I would accidentally attack one almost every fight. It made a build that felt totally overpowered into the weakest because it was impossible to use reliably. Really the love the game but man that launch version was clearly still cooking.