Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Something I'm learning and enjoying on my second playthrough is that a lot of NPCs in act 3 have zero plot armor. If some asswipe is talking poo poo and they aren't associated with a quest there's a great chance Karlach can chuck them off a cliff in front of 10 witnesses with zero consequences. I just dumpstered the lady in front of the bank who's taunting a beggar, directly in view of several guards, and the only thing that happened was I got 1 xp :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If there’s a nonviolent way to resolve Stop the Presses I’ve never done it. Heroically killing journalists for are freedoms. :911:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

If there’s a nonviolent way to resolve Stop the Presses I’ve never done it. Heroically killing journalists for are freedoms. :911:

Stealth and swapping out the plates worked fine for me :confused:

I think I may have killed a steel watcher for convenience but didn't have to

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah, just sending in a single rogue with a bunch of invisibility potions does the trick. Doesn't the quest essentially soft fail if you kill anyone as they put that in the paper instead?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Not when they're all dead.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

exquisite tea posted:

Not when they're all dead.

:hmmyes:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It's not a failure, it does stop you taking a reputational hit with traders, it just isn't the best outcome. But you are allowed to kill the guy then change the headline anyway. Or just ignore the whole thing, you should be robbing the shopkeeps

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I disagree. The annoying editor guy is dead and everybody in Baldur's Gate loves me. It's a win:win.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I figured out that there is a certain spot on the outside of the haunted artist house that triggers combat with all the ghosts, making that place even more of an annoyance

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I had no problems with Stop the Presses since the sentient printing press was friends with the pixie I rescued from the lamp in Act 2 he was more than happy to help me out

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
For the Cazador fight okay, what is the gimmick here? Do i have to get someone on each of the runes, and then wail on him? He just keeps turning to mist, i cant knock him off the side as he just reappears where he was. I brought Astarion along, but i should probably respec him from default, as i haven't used a Astarion, or a rogue at all, this playthrough and im not getting much value

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

An Taoiseach posted:

For the Cazador fight okay, what is the gimmick here? Do i have to get someone on each of the runes, and then wail on him? He just keeps turning to mist, i cant knock him off the side as he just reappears where he was. I brought Astarion along, but i should probably respec him from default, as i haven't used a Astarion, or a rogue at all, this playthrough and im not getting much value

Yes some of the runes are absolutely hosed and you want to park somebody on top of them. You can mouse over the conditions on the vampire nearby the rune to figure out which buff it gives I think. Also make sure you don’t move on and off the runes repeatedly or he will regain a ton of temp HP.

If Astarion isn’t helping much he’s a good candidate for rune sitter, then he can pump arrows/scrolls into Cazador at least. Or shoot bats. You can CC Cazador with Otto’s Dance and you can do a ton of damage to him with the spell Daylight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Give Shadowheart (or your team Cleric) an Elixir of Vigilance and have them cast Daylight as your very first action.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The Cazador fight is also a reasonable candidate for an Elixir of Bloodlust on your main damage-slingers thanks to the tiny HP bats. Also not a bad idea to pack a way to remove Paralysis from target(s) since the Fallen Gur can quickly incap people - Freedom of Movement, Lesser Restoration, Guileful pots, etc.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

exquisite tea posted:

Give Shadowheart (or your team Cleric) an Elixir of Vigilance and have them cast Daylight as your very first action.

Only issue with this is, depending on what outcome you want, the Daylight will stay there, and will kill the other vampires being used in the ritual. I think last time I even positioned it center on the coffin so it wouldn't tick them down, but as soon as the ritual ended, everyone just ran into it like lemmings and got dusted.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I started an honor mode run and it's pretty hosed that for all the lengths Larian has gone to to prevent action economy cheese, ranged swords bards are still able to effectively attack 4x with an additional bonus action per turn for free many times every short rest (which they get extras of!)

Stacking ranged swords bards and a tanky cleric is super sleepwalk for the golden dice and I feel like this is going to get patched at some point

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

Only issue with this is, depending on what outcome you want, the Daylight will stay there, and will kill the other vampires being used in the ritual. I think last time I even positioned it center on the coffin so it wouldn't tick them down, but as soon as the ritual ended, everyone just ran into it like lemmings and got dusted.

I think they fixed this in the same update that kept you from using Blood of Lathander to kill Astarion's two siblings at Wyrm's Crossing a few months back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

QuietLion posted:

The Cazador fight is also a reasonable candidate for an Elixir of Bloodlust on your main damage-slingers thanks to the tiny HP bats. Also not a bad idea to pack a way to remove Paralysis from target(s) since the Fallen Gur can quickly incap people - Freedom of Movement, Lesser Restoration, Guileful pots, etc.

Spirit Guardians made short work of the bats for me heh. It's also how I did the "Kill 20 things while drunk" achievement, just got Shadowheart hammered and sent her to the basement of that restaurant that had a ton of rats.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Now I'm on my third playthrough part of me thinks I should actually engage with the Caz gimmick but I don't think I will lol. We all know why we're here. Just shoot the motherfucker

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Black Noise posted:

And Tavernicus isn’t?

When it's just Tav I mean.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Considering they already built an "Environmental Turn" into the game for whenever you trigger Turn-Based manually outside of combat, one would think they could repurpose it for every fight as a Combat Ended turn to allow the player to come down from a fight without party members or other friendlies triggering all sorts of bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cazador is one of the hardest fights on Honor Mode and you do have to take him seriously if you don't wanna party wipe after ~60 hours. If he gets the first turn with his legendary action active, which will happen because he has super high initiative, at least one person in your party is gonna take ~90 damage and potentially get knocked off the cliff if your positioning is bad. Then you're down 2/4 if Astarion failed his CON check and are fukken dead. If there's one spot in Act 3 to blow all your elixirs and DI then it's definitely the Cazman.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If you're on honour mode you should DEFINITELY shoot first, there's no justification for letting him take aster at all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can lower the CON check by letting Astarion take lead or just hide him far away from your party so that he doesn't get compelled, but I'm no chicken.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you're on honour mode you should DEFINITELY shoot first, there's no justification for letting him take aster at all

I did that fight blind in honour mode and didn’t want to miss the conversation.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Medullah posted:

Spirit Guardians made short work of the bats for me heh. It's also how I did the "Kill 20 things while drunk" achievement, just got Shadowheart hammered and sent her to the basement of that restaurant that had a ton of rats.
That basement full of rats is always fun to blast, along with the cranium rats underground. Just so many units dropping from the initiative order all at once! :evilbuddy:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I didn't know this but bg3 wiki claims Caz will hypnotize Aster if he's close enough even if you shoot first, but if Aster's not close enough it never happens even if he comes closer later. I always had Aster stand way at the top of the stairs so I couldn't understand why people were bothering with the gimmick lol

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Medullah posted:

I had no problems with Stop the Presses since the sentient printing press was friends with the pixie I rescued from the lamp in Act 2 he was more than happy to help me out

I was absolutely delighted when I ran across this in my first playthrough. I love when games include little "good deeds coming back to you" karmic plot twists like that. It did feel a little ironic after I'd beaten the entire place unconscious and blown up all the Watchers, but, eh, a happy ending's a happy ending.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

QuietLion posted:

That basement full of rats is always fun to blast, along with the cranium rats underground. Just so many units dropping from the initiative order all at once! :evilbuddy:

I was cackling out loud during the act 2 rat fight as I parked the whole party inside spirit guardians and like 50 of the fuckers proceeded to waste themselves like soldiers charging a machine gun nest in WW1

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

While we're talking Durge, when some of you say 'canon Durge', does that mean you're playing resist? Have the devs said somewhere that's the canonical Durge playthrough somewhere? I'm yet to give that particular origin a go so am just curious on where the canonical idea has come from

Resist durge is almost certainly canonical but him being a white dragonborn sorcerer probably isn't let's be real he will be a some variety of elf paladin but for now that's just what we are going off of.
I think the design is great but it's just too goofy to take seriously.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 4, 2024

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

White dragonborn sorc is the canonic race/class since that's the one preset by Larian, HTH (yes I know you can and are fully encouraged to customize this)

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Thanks for the Caz tips- i kept Astarion on out of the initial conversation, had Jaheria cast daylight and just started AOE-ing. Caz and co all got caught up in a Hadar/Sleet Storm/Confusion trap, while my summoned ghouls and Us mopped up

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I didn't know this but bg3 wiki claims Caz will hypnotize Aster if he's close enough even if you shoot first, but if Aster's not close enough it never happens even if he comes closer later. I always had Aster stand way at the top of the stairs so I couldn't understand why people were bothering with the gimmick lol

I’m doing origin Astarion and I’ve been repeating that the check (10 vs 18) is easier if Astarion takes the lead solo but I didn’t have another campaign to compare with. No capture no ritual, for him anyways. Stole that poo poo rogue life.

My solution was to use Daylight and Lvl 3 Fog Cloud. Can’t cast if you can’t see and vampires don’t see through echolocation only the bats do.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I haven't done in in Honour mode, but on my first playthrough Cazador was easily by far the hardest fight for my party comp. Everyone other than Karlach had a miserable time with it and it's the only fight in the game I had to do three times.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I had a ton of issues with the cazador fight. Here was my solution

First off, spread out the team slightly before the fight. cazador can do a nasty AoE with his buff easily doing 70 damage to the whole party. the solution is that he won't do it if he doesn't have enough targets. You don't have to spread too far. I still had everyone on the starting circle platform.

Second, summons are your best friend in this battle. Anyone who stands on the circle gets the free extra damage and temporary health every turn. This also takes the buff away from Cazador and stops the timer of the fight. A simple spiritual weapon can hold its own against multiple minions with the buff. The more summons you bring, the better.

Third, use the spell flame wall and daylight. daylight not only hurts cazador but also knocks him off of mist form and gives him a disadvantage on rolls. Cazador always charged me, so I put a little flame wall in between the pillars to damage any minion that rushed into our fight. That did a bunch of damage throughout the fight and allowed me to shove anything after I attacked.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

You have to do a bit of parkour across the top of the building, get onto the roof and climb through the other side of the building into the elevator.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

problem I had with the cazador fight was daylight killing him in the sarcophogus or something. if I killed him and daylight covered the coffin, he it just never triggered any of the cutscenes

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Yeah I've never had Daylight not gently caress up Astarion being able to ascend post fight so I just don't use it

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

My way of cheesing the Cazador fight was having Gale or a scroll cast a Wall of Stone to divide the arena in half horizontally, blocking off any of the werewolf and ghoul goons so I can just pound on Caz at his lonesome

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Gatto Grigio posted:

My way of cheesing the Cazador fight was having Gale or a scroll cast a Wall of Stone to divide the arena in half horizontally, blocking off any of the werewolf and ghoul goons so I can just pound on Caz at his lonesome

lol cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Beasteh posted:

Yeah I've never had Daylight not gently caress up Astarion being able to ascend post fight so I just don't use it

I had daylight and ascended just fine. But the daylight was cast on my weapon not the area. This did cause the fight to immediately trigger but because I was part of the dialogue the cut scene played anyways.