Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I wouldn't want to live near DC I don't blame him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Poque posted:

He probably should have taken the huge deal from the Nats. This is a rotten time to be entering free agency

Ehh, he's gonna do fine. The best guys always get paid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

He probably should have taken the huge deal from the Nats. This is a rotten time to be entering free agency

Yeah but then he'd be stuck on the Nats

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I actually think the Yankees are gonna keep him.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I wouldn't want to live near DC I don't blame him

:hmmyes:

I moved away from that swamp ages ago, just visited some friends this past weekend and it was great but I absolutely do not want to live there again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs have a decent chunk of money coming off the books next year - even more so if Bellinger has another great year and opts out - and I'd like to see them take a swing at bringing Soto in. Realistically speaking though yeah, my guess is he's probably going to end up a Yankee or a Met. Alternatively he's the next Angels vanity project who gets insanely overpaid to immediately fall off.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

Ohtani got ~$500M in actual value a couple months ago

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
This is kind of Dombrowski’s MO, no

Once he gets a team winning he signs all the players to billion-dollar extensions then does the shocked pikachu face when those players get old and aren’t worth the money anymore

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Ohtani got ~$500M in actual value a couple months ago

And Yamamoto got $300. There's money out there for great players, which Soto is and Bellinger and Chapman aren't.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Sydin posted:

Yeah but then he'd have the privilege of being stuck on the Nats

:shuckyes:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

live with fruit posted:

And Yamamoto got $300. There's money out there for great players, which Soto is and Bellinger and Chapman aren't.

Bellinger probably could be, but it would take 2 more years of his MVP-level self to "prove" it. (Although then he's 30 and welp.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m sure this will go great, no issues at all

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1764646273800614294

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Way to set a tone with your new team that you're an absolute dweeb.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I get the feeling Melvin’s primary goal is to communicate “I’m not Gabe Kapler”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

lmao loving goober, are they also gonna bring back Sam Coomrod?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Giants manager: setting a National Anthem policy

Dodgers manager: showing off breakdancing moves and getting his rear end slapped by Mookie Betts

https://twitter.com/alden_gonzalez/status/1764712231428644972

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I actually think the Yankees are gonna keep him.

Same. I don’t see them letting him walk unless he absolutely bombs this season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Who the gently caress is this even for?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

All the conservative flag humping patriots in... San Francisco...

Next he's going to invite Aubrey Huff as a bench coach

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently... the other team???

quote:

“Look, we’re a new team here, we got some good players here,’’ Melvin said Friday, “it’s more about letting the other side know that we’re ready to play. I want guys out here ready to go. There’s a personality to that."

“It has nothing to do with whatever happened in the past or whatever, it’s just something I embrace."

“You want your team ready to play and I want the other team to notice it, too,’’

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol that's even dumber

You know we're ready to play because we partake in the same mindless ritual they force on grade schoolers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if that's better or worse. At best it's tone deaf to previous protests surrounding pro athletes kneeling during the anthem.

I don't think the other team cares that you made all your players stand outside the dugout pre-game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It just feels like a weak smokescreen. There are plenty of other ways to enforce team discipline and unity - even via rituals - without specifically zeroing in on the very public ritual steeped in patriotism and rife with current political messiness. Could've done "every day no matter what the whole team is going to take full batting practice" which similarly demonstrates hey the whole team is here every day giving it 100% and is ready to play.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s ok he said “it’s not about politics” so surely that will be the end of it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees really need to stop playing God Bless America every game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd wager they'd be the very last team to stop doing so. We only do it on Sundays.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There was an article written at the end of last season about how Machado wouldn't show up for infield drills or on time for the bus and this set the tone for the whole team so I'm guessing this is Melvin trying to flex on his new team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
According to the article Melvin had the exact same policy in Oakland and San Diego, and would "crack down" on players who didn't comply, but honestly yeah idk if Machado would give a poo poo. What're you gonna do Bob, not play your AS 3B making $40M a year? That's what I thought.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Giants manager: setting a National Anthem policy

Dodgers manager: showing off breakdancing moves and getting his rear end slapped by Mookie Betts

https://twitter.com/alden_gonzalez/status/1764712231428644972

Also spending time with Joe Posnanski and Michael Schur remembering some guys

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Twins running with a Gunkel-Winkel battery

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
UL Washington has died

I always had a weird fascination with UL. As a kid playing little league my team had this thing where the Player of the Game would get a ball signed by a KC player. I only won once and my reward was a ball signed by UL. I kept that thing on my desk my entire childhood and I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere.

Farewell UL. I'll shove a toothpick into my mouth in your honor. :smith:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

bawfuls posted:

Preller made the right choice in letting him go, lmao

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is definitely funny that the Giants fired their manager because of a perception that the clubhouse was too loose and lacked structure and discipline, so they brought in the guy who couldn’t bring structure and discipline to the Padres clubhouse.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

It is definitely funny that the Giants fired their manager because of a perception that the clubhouse was too loose and lacked structure and discipline, so they brought in the guy who couldn’t bring structure and discipline to the Padres clubhouse.

The Padres have quit on two managers in the past three years. Shildt would be wise to rent.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Joc will stand solemnly every game for the anthem but will he stop blasting music and betting his day's wages on pusoy dos in the clubhouse after losses?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joc's a D back now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah I forgot he's trying to complete the set of NL West teams.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Josh Donaldson is retiring

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no he's teaching Corbin Carroll how to smoke

FlamingLiberal posted:

Josh Donaldson is retiring

Noooo I think he can still go out there and contribute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i used to be confused as heck by joc pederson then i learned he's from palo alto and it all makes sense now