Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Note that he's been 'ending' the comic, trying to conclude the various storylines then end it all off.

He announced this was happening over a decade ago. He's closed off a few of the major plotlines, but there's a lot still to finish up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Freefall has cracked the 4000 page mark recently as well, by the way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was cute when the rpg world guy went on to make ok ko for cartoon network and actually gave the rpg world characters an episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZ--Nt3GUQ

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SexyBlindfold posted:

I used to have a big stinkin' RSS feed fulla webcomics. the only survivors in the year of our lord 2024 are KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS (good) and Oglaf for some reason (not as good).

you're right but also there's like, three different SA comics threads where good webcomics get posted. I would add Clown Corps and Abbeycourt Manor to that list at the very least.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

fun hater posted:

no hes vp of slack and apple engineering or smth

I thought the whole point of Rotten, Jerkcity, etc, was to flaunt tf out of the fact that they made the worst jokes and kept their Bay Area computer touching jobs

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Skippy McPants posted:

Real Life Comics [...] still see[s] regular or semi-regular updates.

Okay but this one is a wild time to claim that when it only just returned last week after over a year of radio silence because Mae had a more intense job and lost it early this year.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
uh, do you think those dudes ever got called into HR one day to start a Serious Conversation And Open Dialog about their internet webcomics?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spigot is ingobernable

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

you're right but also there's like, three different SA comics threads where good webcomics get posted. I would add Clown Corps and Abbeycourt Manor to that list at the very least.

Yeah, Clown Corps is great. By the guy who did that amazing 'Columbo Meets Fraiser' comic a while back.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I also got really into (physical) comics in my middle/high school period but this was in early 2000s Chile where it was genuinely difficult to find anything that wasn't superhero comics (usually with massive gaps in their print runs because the publishers that bought the rights for the LatAm market kept going bankrupt) or local stuff like Condorito (PLOP!).
The one exception was a Spanish anthology magazine (Spain's equivalent of Heavy Metal, basically) that arrived with years of delay but still gave a good glimpse of independent comics, mostly European, with a dazzling variety of art styles and genres.

I remember running into some examples of American INDIE COMIXXX or however it was spelled around that time and being super put off about how miserable and ugly everything looked, why couldn't they make things look cool and colorful and fancy like all these euro weirdos were doing it. My opinion has softened a bit over the years since even though I still think a bunch of indie stuff is miserable and unfun and a lot of BD-adjacent stuff is visually magnificent, reading back on those issues, they're both uhhhh about as rapey

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
besides Kill Six Billion Demons, which is incredible but is the sort of thing where I catch up and immediately forget it exists every time until someone reminds me a year or two later, the only other recent webcomic(not webmanga/manhua/etc) I followed past the era of Penny Arcade's heyday was Cucumber Quest. which was very cute and beautiful and then Gigi Digi killed it abruptly to go do other things. I had backed the kickstarters for the physical copies and everything because I enjoyed her work, but unfortunately I guess she ran out of steam for it and ended it out of nowhere.

Endorph posted:

it was cute when the rpg world guy went on to make ok ko for cartoon network and actually gave the rpg world characters an episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZ--Nt3GUQ
that's adorable. I remember hearing great things about that show, cool that they got to make something like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

that's adorable. I remember hearing great things about that show, cool that they got to make something like that.

Yeah, RPG World was a favorite back in The Day and I'm glad Ian's team talked him into putting Hero and Cherry into the show.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I can't remember what else gigi dg worked on other than a couple of assets for Undertale and I want to say background artist for one of the Shantae games, but I have seen a bunch of games with an art style reminiscent of her so I'm just assuming she's making bank on that. good for her???

oh she also did the gay comic about the goddess and the acolyte or whatever. good for her!!!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Now I wish I had one of these Harmony remotes or a Flipper Zero, thanks f4mi (no, I'd have no real use for either)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyOiGFe5S9I

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SexyBlindfold posted:

I can't remember what else gigi dg worked on other than a couple of assets for Undertale and I want to say background artist for one of the Shantae games, but I have seen a bunch of games with an art style reminiscent of her so I'm just assuming she's making bank on that. good for her???

oh she also did the gay comic about the goddess and the acolyte or whatever. good for her!!!

Unsurprisingly, she's been working on a game. It has a lot of vibes of said goddess/acolyte comic so maybe keep an eye on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by her twitter gigi just hated the entire fandom culture surrounding her webcomic which is part of why she quit which, fair

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought the thing with Cucumber Quest was that it had this insanely long planned plot, like the entire existing comic would be just the prologue long, but like every epic fantasy comic dreamed up by a young artist they got burned out at the idea of spending your entire artistic career on one comic, devoting your entire life to drawing, or both (rip Miura).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

yeah i think the main thing is gigi just wanted to branch out and do new things, they're really enjoying making a visual novel right now

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

Gigi also made the hiimdaisy metal gear solid/persona summary comics

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

wizard2 posted:

I thought the whole point of Rotten, Jerkcity, etc, was to flaunt tf out of the fact that they made the worst jokes and kept their Bay Area computer touching jobs

he bitched out i guess! boooo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SexyBlindfold posted:

I also got really into (physical) comics in my middle/high school period but this was in early 2000s Chile where it was genuinely difficult to find anything that wasn't superhero comics (usually with massive gaps in their print runs because the publishers that bought the rights for the LatAm market kept going bankrupt) or local stuff like Condorito (PLOP!).
The one exception was a Spanish anthology magazine (Spain's equivalent of Heavy Metal, basically) that arrived with years of delay but still gave a good glimpse of independent comics, mostly European, with a dazzling variety of art styles and genres.

I remember running into some examples of American INDIE COMIXXX or however it was spelled around that time and being super put off about how miserable and ugly everything looked, why couldn't they make things look cool and colorful and fancy like all these euro weirdos were doing it. My opinion has softened a bit over the years since even though I still think a bunch of indie stuff is miserable and unfun and a lot of BD-adjacent stuff is visually magnificent, reading back on those issues, they're both uhhhh about as rapey

Are you still in Chile? Can you get me some 31 Minutos merch?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

going by her twitter gigi just hated the entire fandom culture surrounding her webcomic which is part of why she quit which, fair

considering the fanbase was freaks like JelloApocalypse making a dub of Cucumber Quest you can't blame her

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh yeah JelloApocalypse dba brendan blaber. Dude locked replies on his latest tweets and deleted any youtube comments talking about him breaking dub nda and being blacklisted.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 4, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this random lady who made a comic i didnt like is a sociopath who should be killed. now to go back to retweeting stuff about what feminism is

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
trdq answers the important questions in quick vintage toy reviews: can a gimmick break an egg?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR062jnJLwU&hd=1

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

soon the whisperer will return to his throne....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqCBgKkqfrc

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fun hater posted:

no hes vp of slack and apple engineering or smth

Before that he was involved in early Palantir, Peter Thiel's Security Industrial Complex panopticon start up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

considering the fanbase was freaks like JelloApocalypse making a dub of Cucumber Quest you can't blame her

I don't know what most of these words mean and I'm glad of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know what most of these words mean and I'm glad of it.

Too bad your gladness ends here. Last month Jello Apocalypse torched his professional career working on English dubbing scripts for anime when he went off on an ill-advised essay about how he made changes to a script to "fix" the original Japanese writing. It went over as well as you'd expect and the funniest part is that his own changes didn't even make it into the final product.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and he managed to lose enough subscribers that socialblade's algorithm actually picked it up, which for a channel with over a million subscribers requires at least 10,000 subscriber loss to register. he's still got 1.91 million subscribers but it's funny that he just blew himself up like that out of nowhere lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also it was not an "ill-advised essay" it was an insane ranting hateful screed that undoubtedly torpedoed his chances in the industry for the rest of his life

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like yeah, if you're in the business you're going to work on stuff you don't like on occasion but why you would make that your career suicide by attempting to "fix" it while showing ignorance at best and contempt at worst for the source material is beyond me.

Captain Invictus posted:

also it was not an "ill-advised essay" it was an insane ranting hateful screed that undoubtedly torpedoed his chances in the industry for the rest of his life

Ill-advised being he advised himself that it was a good idea and not an insanely bad one. Even at its most charitable reading it comes off incredibly tone deaf that you would put something like that out and be proud of it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 4, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arc Hammer posted:

Too bad your gladness ends here. Last month Jello Apocalypse torched his professional career working on English dubbing scripts for anime when he went off on an ill-advised essay about how he made changes to a script to "fix" the original Japanese writing. It went over as well as you'd expect and the funniest part is that his own changes didn't even make it into the final product.

Oh right, that. I forgot the name of the moron.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As I said before bro just does not want to tell his audience he hosed up a career opportunity by being an egotistical fuckwit.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Thorsby ftw

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Still laughing at the brain damage one must have to write a huge document fellating yourself and making GBS threads on the show you work on, without actually going through the show first and seeing if your work made it into the final product.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arc Hammer posted:

Like yeah, if you're in the business you're going to work on stuff you don't like on occasion but why you would make that your career suicide by attempting to "fix" it while showing ignorance at best and contempt at worst for the source material is beyond me.

for progressive points

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

UP AND ADAM posted:

Thorsby ftw

this. not gonna say it again. topic locked.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i am entering the chudosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

16-bit chud-head