Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I don’t like 80s DACs, I do like the things they had to do to make up for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Startyde posted:

I don’t like 80s DACs, I do like the things they had to do to make up for them.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/512992/how-does-the-yamaha-dx7-digital-analog-converter-work

porque no los dos

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
gonna post some more examples later of using video data as audio in the same patch at the same time, it's rad stuff

in the mean time here's some samesuch content from a person who does these things with substantial practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MotKdado8Nw&t=193s

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_Tp5mM6IM

not even pretending to make music tonight

including a picture of the patch for the laughs; it's insane how quickly one burns through cables patching up three different channels which each are probably being CV modulated in at least 3-4 ways.

This is analog oscillators interacting with analog ramp generators :toot:

I learned how to make directional gradients on TBC2 tonight

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 1, 2024

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
I believe some people here have backed the Donner Medo on kickstarter, the campaign is not going well. Donner announced refunds a month ago but has not done that. They have also committed to an update every 10 days which they have failed to do until today, however this is the most recent update.

quote:

1.Optimized the algorithm for automatically initiating silence detection during sample sampling, incorporating an evaluation process for sample collection judgment.

2.Based on internal evaluation feedback, adjusted the operational logic to make the overall operation more convenient and enjoyable

3.Optimized the scale modes, including natural major and natural minor scales, as well as pentatonic major and pentatonic minor scales. Ensured the accuracy of scales under different timbre modes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Boody posted:

I believe some people here have backed the Donner Medo on kickstarter, the campaign is not going well. Donner announced refunds a month ago but has not done that. They have also committed to an update every 10 days which they have failed to do until today, however this is the most recent update.

yes I declined to take my money back and I have also been enjoying these updates

they don't mention the optimal fundamental LFO frequency anymore, they must have finally nailed that one down :laugh:

I think the campaign is going wonderfully but it depends on if you wanted ongoing comedy and nonsensical updates, or a physical device, for your $150

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I have another video on the tubes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzCSXzwwpk
Just jamming and filming said jams has forced me to think about my music in a completely different way. Never played live, more than likely never will but it has been an interesting experience.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

yes I declined to take my money back and I have also been enjoying these updates

they don't mention the optimal fundamental LFO frequency anymore, they must have finally nailed that one down :laugh:

I think the campaign is going wonderfully but it depends on if you wanted ongoing comedy and nonsensical updates, or a physical device, for your $150
Really seems to be an overly ambitious step up from their first stab at synths (cloning a 303).

Wrageowrapper posted:

I have another video on the tubes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzCSXzwwpk
Just jamming and filming said jams has forced me to think about my music in a completely different way. Never played live, more than likely never will but it has been an interesting experience.

That's rad. Full encouragement for experimenting and exploring different angles and techniques for creativity. Please do share.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I know this is maybe being too anal, but how long without playing an analog synth is it worth turning it off and turning it on again later? Like I assume if I’m going to take an hour break from practice then just leave it on, and overnight turn it off but how about in between that, in terms of minimizing wear on it balancing power constantly running through it vs. pushing power through from power cycles?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Depending on your system of course....

Analog/line stuff is real low wattage. Heat was always a bigger problem for me than power draw but I'd usually turn down my thermostat and just leave everything on (other than summer where I'd be fighting the AC during the day).

It ended up being less than $1/day (pnw electricity though so cheap) and no problem w/ like component wear or anything.

Powered mixers, guitar/power amps (including those in active monitors), and stuff w/ big digital screens the exception here (big power draw and caps that will dry out). But you can kinda tell cause they get hot

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

I've been exploring making sounds with the microfreak and limiting myself to create something with just the sequencer. I made this track https://soundcloud.com/neurohexconjurer/ambient-dumb. I have a tendency to wait too long to develop in my music though, for example the interesting glide section comes late.

In the spirit of making music, I have a korga volca keys, and it's great. What are the low-mid range competitors for that particular synth? I'd like to step up a level with the same kind of analog type engine, but additionally have more control over the oscillator.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
minilogue, xd if you want digital too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

Depending on your system of course....

Analog/line stuff is real low wattage. Heat was always a bigger problem for me than power draw but I'd usually turn down my thermostat and just leave everything on (other than summer where I'd be fighting the AC during the day).

It ended up being less than $1/day (pnw electricity though so cheap) and no problem w/ like component wear or anything.

Powered mixers, guitar/power amps (including those in active monitors), and stuff w/ big digital screens the exception here (big power draw and caps that will dry out). But you can kinda tell cause they get hot

Thanks - this is just for a Pro 800. New to hardware synths and I know it’s not expensive but I want to make things last.

I’m actually trying to figure out what I should get as a second analog synth to compliment it. Didn’t take long since the Pro 800 only arrived a few days ago…I used Repro 5 plugin so much that the Pro 800 was a braindead easy decision as to what I should get first but now I would like a second so that I can have a different sound playing as I perform with the other one. Like the current song would benefit with an ostinato while I’m playing the main part, which I am doing with the Pro 800 but a different patch would be good as well as not having note conflicts when I’m performing the same pitch. I could record it as audio but idk my single input on my interface is looking lonely.

Has anyone used a Behringer Crave before? I am trying to do the second one as cheap as I can since I don’t really *need* it. The Crave being semi modular seems nice. I don’t really need its sequencer though since I am sequencing in Logic. Or any other suggestions really - poly would be nice but mono would do just fine. My needs are pretty basic right now for what a second synth would be doing, however the waveform limitations on the Crave make me second guess it. Oh, also smaller is better as my workspace is limited (thank goodness since splurging on some things is tempting but size is naturally limiting that).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Low cost, small space, you may want to consider a volca keys, or others in the volca line. It has midi in, so you should be able to sequence it from your computer (will require usb to 5pin din midi converter), or maybe the pro800 can send through USB midi to the 5pin port? Worth investigating, imo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Laserjet 4P posted:

minilogue, xd if you want digital too.

The og is pretty dogshit compared to xd, the filter sucks.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Same, haven't requested a refund. Not sure what is funnier, the people supporting the company, the people expecting this is going to be some revolutionary or Donner replying to month old comments taking the piss out of them with "Thank you for the support".

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

it's gonna end up being better than the m8 paired with a KO133

rio
Mar 20, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

Low cost, small space, you may want to consider a volca keys, or others in the volca line. It has midi in, so you should be able to sequence it from your computer (will require usb to 5pin din midi converter), or maybe the pro800 can send through USB midi to the 5pin port? Worth investigating, imo.

Thanks - I checked it out and those Volcas do seem pretty cool. However after a couple days of fighting it I ordered a Behringer K2. The MS20 sound is different enough from Sequential’s that I thought it made sense, already have some plans for how to use it but the clincher was when I saw a video showing that you can control it with a standard guitar and minor patching. loving crazy to me that is so easily done, and all of that for 200 bucks so if I have to sacrifice the space my Launchpad is taking up for it then so be it.

I only have two inputs on my interface so hopefully this is naturally limiting in terms of wanting to immediately get more synths.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
nice, the ms20 is a great synth. having a resonating hpf is awesome, i don't understand why that didn't catch on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

rio posted:

I only have two inputs on my interface so hopefully this is naturally limiting in terms of wanting to immediately get more synths.

new mixer time

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

(HD plz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS9LEC3moW8

the overbearing droning on top of everything is the sound of the video going through a Boing! LPG

e: always using the generated audio from the video track in some way seems like a good goal of these patches. I was messing around with enveloping it and also sending it through Spectraphon; the pitch swings in the video here are on a Spectraphon resynthesis line, but no other external audio, just the video streams as audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9tMxWDB9Vs

"calibrating to monitor" takes on a new meaning here, too. I am mostly looking at a CRT when I am building up these patches; stuff looks quite different coming out of the same encoder as component RGB; no crt glitching or ghosting but more importantly the colorspace is just always wildly different, so the last thing I usually do to dial stuff in before recording is twist my neck to look at the display on the BlackMagic pc that is showing what OBS is seeing, and loving with the six controls for per channel brightness and contrast to get the recording stream to be more or less what I'd had on the CRT, at which point the colors on the CRT look wonky as gently caress.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 3, 2024

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

YouTube compression just completely trashes these patches doesn't it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

inferis posted:

YouTube compression just completely trashes these patches doesn't it
yes and no; with really good source material and the HD settings its tolerable but yea, MPEG type compression artifacts suck for this.

come to the LZX discord where I just drag and drop marginally compressed 100-500mb videos inline into the channel :laugh:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

new mixer time

Seconding this, fiddling with mixer knobs is way nicer than messing with focusrite or whoever's software for each instrument.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Renoise is freakin' cool

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What would a “normal” noise floor be for an analog synth? I didn’t really notice this until throwing Logic’s auto mastering on but my Pro 800 seems to have a noise floor around -70db. I guess I had gotten lazy since discovering this auto mastering thing but I can’t really use it now since it amplifies the noise so much.

I don’t really mind noise when I hear it in other people’s music - like I’m pretty sure some music I listen to even adds noise artificially for a tape like effect. But I’m going to need to wrap my head around it personally since last time I did any real sound production stuff was in the 2000s and having started on tape before then I was always trying to lower the noise floor, so I guess I took it for granted how low it was going purely digital with plugins.

Mainly wondering if around -70db is normal since the pro 800 is only going on about a week old, so still getting to know it and although I didn’t notice it before I can’t unhear it now.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Can you stick a noise gate on it?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Can you stick a noise gate on it?

I was messing with that but I have a fairly slow decay on my main keyboard sound so I lose the tail with a gate. It probably wouldn’t matter so much if I was doing a track with bass and drums but this is pretty exposed.

This is what I’m dealing with (not finished) but both patches are from the pro 800. No EQ or anything outside of whatever a couple Valhalla plugins and stereo spread is doing https://whyp.it/tracks/161716/fine?token=1tYRQ

I was looking into noise reduction but only tried Denoiser Classic so far. It has a sort of distorted sound on the top end when I just subtly reduce a little noise (I think it is letting through some noise erratically) but when I add enough noise reduction that the distorted sound is gone I lose too much top end and the patch sounds dull.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i freaking love synthesizers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Same.

Really wish I could play them well tho.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate watching synth videos because it's 15 minutes of watching some pro make the most fantastic tones in human history and then I try it out and nothing comes out but the price is right loser sound.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
-70db sounds pretty quiet to me. i'd do a noise gate rather than a denoiser, personally.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If a noise gate is too binary, go with an expander.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I saw that the 0-CTRL can be clocked at audio rate on a tutorial video. Saves me from getting a dedicated suboscillator.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

If a noise gate is too binary, go with an expander.

Never would have thought of that - thanks, and to others for the suggestions. When I get home tonight I’ll mess around.

I think me not noticing the noise until I tried to turn on Logic’s auto mastering is pretty telling (though I have some hearing issues and hear white noise anyway) so it might be that I just get used to it. Looking forward, my main issue is if I start layering a bunch of tracks that all have this noise floor it could make a mess.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The basically inevitable slide from "I'm gonna get this one all in one video thing for $250" to "huh I have an almost full 6u84 of lzx and an almost full 6u70 of Chroma Cauldron stuff and utilities"

send help more Syntonie modules

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

rio posted:

Never would have thought of that - thanks, and to others for the suggestions. When I get home tonight I’ll mess around.

I think me not noticing the noise until I tried to turn on Logic’s auto mastering is pretty telling (though I have some hearing issues and hear white noise anyway) so it might be that I just get used to it. Looking forward, my main issue is if I start layering a bunch of tracks that all have this noise floor it could make a mess.
I just played that whyp.it thing you posted and there are no periods of silence in there, all notes overlap. A gate was never going to do anything useful and probably neither would an expander. What you need is to improve gain staging. Optimize the signal output level of the synth as much as you can without changing the sound, with the level controls on (the whole signal path of) the synth, before it hits your audio interface's preamps. It won't do to compensate with those preamp levels and then automastering still needing to pull it up another 9dB or more. What goes in the preamps needs to be as close as possible to the final playback level.

Like a -70dB noise floor is normal 1970s pro recording studio level of technology and it should absolutely be manageable with signal to noise optimizing practices to make it so I can't to hear the hiss on laptop speakers.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Medo kickstarter might be the most fun I've had this year.

Customer replying to latest update: "Has the hull plating been demagnetized? Considered using a type L phase discriminating amplifier? Tweaked the multi-phasic temporal convergences?"
Donner response: "Thank you for your attention. The speaker's magnetism has been shielded and will not leak. The speaker is positioned 10 millimeters away from the motherboard, so it will not affect the motherboard. Additionally, MEDO has not implemented a guide tube."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzU8T2lKUhs

this will be the most fun I have this year if I can find the will to pull the trigger.

The more video content I see on this thing, the more I want one. It doesn't even have MIDI, presumably because they didn't want to figure out a bespoke layer and possibly software to manage 8 voices, 6 of which are composed of 6 oscillators each and in a way that's sort of aligned with the intended kinds of uses of the thing. Also it really looks like a ton of thought was put into making the controls useful and responsive and usable as well as interesting. This doesn't seem like something I just want to hook a KeyStep or Ableton up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzU8T2lKUhs

this will be the most fun I have this year if I can find the will to pull the trigger.

The more video content I see on this thing, the more I want one. It doesn't even have MIDI, presumably because they didn't want to figure out a bespoke layer and possibly software to manage 8 voices, 6 of which are composed of 6 oscillators each and in a way that's sort of aligned with the intended kinds of uses of the thing. Also it really looks like a ton of thought was put into making the controls useful and responsive and usable as well as interesting. This doesn't seem like something I just want to hook a KeyStep or Ableton up to.

Hans Zimmer could do the entire Dune 3 score on that thing wow