Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1764560298688565710?t=-3x2F4zZcmJrPTX3MAbKXQ&s=19

Usul has called a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If I were somehow forced to work for the Harkonnens, I would simply make sure I was never standing within arm+blade length of any of them. If feels like more of their staff would have picked up on that...

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

did anyone buy the dune 2 popcorn bucket?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

bitterandtwisted posted:

did anyone buy the dune 2 popcorn bucket?

Yup. Using the worm as a remote control holder now, works pretty well

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kull wahad

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Big Ed

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Villeneuve is good as hell at making explosions.
The Giedi Prime goop fireworks made me unreasonably happy.
The entire second half moved too quickly and a lot of scenes didn't have enough time to breathe.

Movie good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Talking about the movie with someone who hasn't read the book and his biggest question is "how do they get off the worms" which yknow fair

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Harkonnen and Atreides battle armour looks goofy in these movies but the rest of the costumes are sick. I want more big hats with veils for the Reverend Mothers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

The Harkonnen and Atreides battle armour looks goofy in these movies but the rest of the costumes are sick. I want more big hats with veils for the Reverend Mothers.

It is kinda funny that the Harkonnen troops look a lot like the Sardukar in Lynch Dune but a) slightly less silly b) more in keeping with the aesthetic as a whole

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

The climate controlled armor suits the Harkonnens had were pretty sweet, but I do agree that Atreides armor in the first movie did seem pretty generic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Did we ever figure out who or what that weird creature was that the Harkonnen Baron was keeping in the first movie? I wanted answers about that thing and was hoping I would get them.

What was Rautha's deal, he ate people or something? He had some robot wives that ate people? That whole bit confused me.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Turns out that if you make interesting, thoughtful, deep, richly-inspired, exciting and unique movies, people will go to them!

Now here's the Kraven the Hunter trailer.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nobody addressed Feyd as "lovely', 0/10. It's nice that he gets a few smooches though! :biglips:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the world comes built, and the main point about Giedi Prime is that It Is Decadent AF

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

fishing with the fam posted:

The entire second half moved too quickly and a lot of scenes didn't have enough time to breathe.

Movie good.

To be fair to Villeneuve the last third of Dune has been described as "Frank's editor tells him he needs to wrap things up", but yeah I agree this is another Dune movie that felt like I could've sat through another 30-45 minutes with no problems besides my bladder being slammed by the Hans Zimmer's doom siren.

Watching this at home on tv is going to suck so hard compared to the theatre experience without that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i'm actually rooting for the studio execs to make villaneuve shut up exactly one (1) time and make him release an extended edition

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
i am also looking forward to 45 extra minutes of the soft sounds of rhythmless walkin' and stillsuit pissin' in the deep desert

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
might go imax alone this wednesday to watch again

that sound made me feel things i have long forgotten

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

Talking about the movie with someone who hasn't read the book and his biggest question is "how do they get off the worms" which yknow fair

Adding another crucial book fact to the list of crimes I will nail to Dennis's door.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Giedi Prime seems like a fun place to go on vacation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i'm actually rooting for the studio execs to make villaneuve shut up exactly one (1) time and make him release an extended edition

Zaslav: “oh now you want me to go against the wishes of the director? too bad!!!! BALETED”

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Dudes slowly floating down to the ground in their zero gravity suits looks so loving cool and I could watch different shots of just that for 2 hours.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No Pants posted:

Adding another crucial book fact to the list of crimes I will nail to Dennis's door.

I genuinely don't remember it being brought up in the book but I'm happy to be wrong

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One thing I liked was the the little character moment shown before the ultimate duels of each film.

Before the Jamis duel, Paul responds to his opponent's "May your blade chip and shatter" with the Atredes salute.

Before the Feyd-Rautha duel, Mau'Dib offers the same "May your blade..." first and we learn a little something about Feyd-Rautha when he returns it enthusiastically in kind, seeming to savor the curse.

Also in both duels, the Fremen fighter is "defeated" twice before the duel is decided, not sure what to make of that thematically but I'm a big believer nothing ends up on screen on accident.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

I genuinely don't remember it being brought up in the book but I'm happy to be wrong

it's until they're tired, that's in the book

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What do you do if you get where you want to go and the worms not tired yet. Just drive in circles?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

StashAugustine posted:

Hahaha my friend said "why doesn't the worm just throw them off"

I had to explain that the worm isn't real and it's a thematic and narrative device used to showcase the Fremen vulnerability to and mastery of the desert.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

What do you do if you get where you want to go and the worms not tired yet. Just drive in circles?

you get off very carefully

the book posted:

The troop began working down the worm’s sides, dropping off, blending with the sand beneath their cloaks. Paul marked where Chani dropped. Presently, only he and Stilgar remained.

“First up, last off,” Paul said.

Stilgar nodded, dropped down the side on his hooks, leaped onto the sand. Paul waited until the maker was safely clear of the scatter area, then released his hooks. This was the tricky moment with a worm not completely exhausted.

Freed of its goads and hooks, the big worm began burrowing into the sand. Paul ran lightly back along its broad surface, judged his moment carefully and leaped off. He landed running, lunged against the slipface of a dune the way he had been taught, and hid himself beneath the cascade of sand over his robe.

Now, the waiting ....

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr. Merdle posted:

Hahaha my friend said "why doesn't the worm just throw them off"

I had to explain that the worm isn't real and it's a thematic and narrative device used to showcase the Fremen vulnerability to and mastery of the desert.

watsonian answer is the hooks

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Did we ever figure out who or what that weird creature was that the Harkonnen Baron was keeping in the first movie? I wanted answers about that thing and was hoping I would get them.

What was Rautha's deal, he ate people or something? He had some robot wives that ate people? That whole bit confused me.

Those details aren't important, they simply demonstrate that the Harkonnens are hosed up psychos and Geidi Prime is a nightmarish place

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The real question is how many guys died figuring out how to hook a worm.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

watsonian answer is the hooks

I loved the little detail of the breathing holes in the worm skin kind of implying that without explicitly saying it

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Halloween Jack posted:

The real question is how many guys died figuring out how to hook a worm.

Some kids goofing around with one of the little captive ones, maybe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's funny that Shai Hulud is literally God but you can also ride Him around and drown His babies to make the really good sex drugs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh, that's been carefully and ruthlessly excised to make sure the UAE and Saudi censors are OK with it. prolly the same w/ jihad and all that

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny that Shai Hulud is literally God but you can also ride Him around and drown His babies to make the really good sex drugs.

tbh i think it's a true-to-life touch, like the people who think god is an omniscient power to be fearful of offending, but at the same you can trick him because fish isn't meat or you were using a shabbot phone or you weren't loving you just had your byu roomie doing a bed bounce while you were soaking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean the OC Bible probably says the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

I thought that was loving great as well. LISAN AL GHAIIIIIIIIBBB!!!!!

TIE ME TO THE MISSILE AND FIRE ME AT THE LANDSRAAD I AM READY!