Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My husband and I are separating. The kids are elementary-aged. Any tips or tricks for easing the transition between parent’s house? I have more time and am staying in the house. So far the kids have been very normal with me, but kinda nutty going to / coming back from dad’s new place.

I know some behavior aberrance is to be expected with such a big transition, and especially during the early days in a new location. I’d love to hear what’s made things easier for your kids if you’ve been through this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Anyone else ever check their toddler's temperature only to find that she's fine and you yourself have a fever?

Ahh, the old Reversal of Fortune :smith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's never happened to me but what happens frequently is that I take her temp and she has a fever and then I check my own and so do I.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A tip for anyone who needs it: you can't trust the agitation from the tap to give you a good bubble bath. Get your hand in the water and really swish it back and forth, you get a much thicker and longer-lasting layer of bubbles.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Further tip: if you give the kid a straw they can add more bubbles by blowing, as long as you trust them not to suck up the bathwater.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
My kid has an insatiable appetite for bathwater.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

So does ours. Last night he put some in a small bucket up to his lips and I told him it's yucky because of the soap and bubbles. He gulped down a bunch, made a face, and said no it's yummy. :cripes:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I get the best and biggest bubbles when I swish the water when the water level is still low too. It doesn't work as good if you decide on a bubble bath after the tub is already full.

This is dependent on your child planning ahead which is something they are known to do extremely well.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My 3 year old, who has previously been a great sleeper, has been busting into my room at 4:30 am every morning. I am the walking dead.
Please tell me this is just a phase that will pass soon? I’ve tried putting him to bet both earlier and later, doesn’t seem to help.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

remigious posted:

My 3 year old, who has previously been a great sleeper, has been busting into my room at 4:30 am every morning. I am the walking dead.
Please tell me this is just a phase that will pass soon? I’ve tried putting him to bet both earlier and later, doesn’t seem to help.

Well on Sunday they will be busting in at 5:30 am, so there’s that

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

nachos posted:

Sounds like a vast improvement lol

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I hate Thomas the Train and I hate Super Wings.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

lifg posted:

I hate Thomas the Train and I hate Super Wings.

You know what's awful? My Little Pony: Tell Your Tale.

You know what toddler's new favorite show is?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

You mean 3:30?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

remigious posted:

We just locked ours in her room tbh

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Renegret posted:

You mean 3:30?

reading your post about going to work at 5 AM in the corporate thread and then seeing this… goondolences. I hope you pass out by 9 pm at least

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Two days a week I'm in the office and my alarm is set at 3:30. It's brutal. With the new baby we still haven't really figured out how we're handling those nights. This week is my last week of FMLA so we're gonna have to figure it out quick.

I go to sleep when the baby goes to sleep. If that's 8 pm, then I'm asleep at 8pm. It sucks because I don't get any free time for myself when the kids go to bed so I'm always feeling starved for me time.

Sleep is one of those things that we just don't have figured out and also do a horrible job as parents at creating good routines. The end result is that I do a lot of suffering and am probably shaving years off my life.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Currently co-sleeping with our 16 month and her favourite position is sideways, which is enjoyable for no-one except her. Need to get her back in the crib but between teething and croup and life means she's always uncomfortable and cries a lot overnight.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Renegret posted:

The end result is that I do a lot of suffering and am probably shaving years off my life.

Yeah.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
nvm

adnam fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2024

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We're fine honestly. We have an excellent support system with my in laws, my wife is the director of the daycare so the childcare is free, and in a pinch we have enough of her staff willing to babysit at a moments notice that we'll never be left without someone we can trust.

The problem is with nights.

My wife is a terrible sleeper and is just unable to do the nights with the baby. She'd lie there the entire night staring at the bassinet. Since I had no problems, eventually I took the baby into the older kid's room and we traded beds. It lets me do what I need to do with the baby and not have to worry about keeping her awake in the process.

I love this arrangement honestly. I reserve the right to tag off whenever I need but when I do, she's just up for the day so I try to avoid it. I get enough sleep anyway as long as I don't have to be up early and the baby's been steadily improving. Unfortunately we've been staggering leave from work and next week is the first time we're both back at work at the same time. Our sleep arrangement falls apart on the two days a week I don't work from home and need to be out super early. I tried doing one round of baby feeding but I was too drowsy on the drive home and it was dangerous. But the alternative is that she struggled to get any sleep at all when she took the baby for those nights. When I was at work we just let her suffer. Now that we're both going back to work, I have no idea how we're going to handle it. She has a mentally and physically taxing job and I'm a corporate drone so there's less pressure on me to be functional at work so I feel compelled to take on way too much on my own, but the line needs to be drawn when it comes to not falling asleep on my drive home.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Do you absolutely have to go in those two days or could you get some leeway on account of baby?

Speaking of babies, our freezer is busted, I had to have a mole removed yesterday, and the goddamn ants are back for our perennial war, but the baby slept through the night the last two nights (three if you count Saturday when she only woke up once before I'd gone to sleep), so I've got that going for me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Emily Spinach posted:

Do you absolutely have to go in those two days or could you get some leeway on account of baby?

No leeway. But that being said, I wouldn't change a drat thing about my work schedule. Given the big picture, I wouldn't change a thing about my hours sans an entirely new 9-5 job.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I hate voting season when we have a school bond/levy on the ballot. Too many insane or child-hating people come out of the woodwork to spout bullshit everywhere. Our school district is trying to pass a bond to build a new high school since our schools are all at >100% functional capacity. And the district is continuing to grow, so it's not going to magically go away. The school board has been exceptionally transparent and engaging with the community during this process to determine the best path forward before putting a bond on the ballot. The plan they've proposed is reasonable and realistic.

Now that the ballot is available, some idiots are posting poo poo like "I didn't have A/C in school. If you stopped using that, you'd save money and not have to raise my taxes." or "I don't even have kids in the school. Why do I need to pay for them?" My recent favorite that I saw today "If kids were on rotations where they did school from home over Zoom half the time, you'd double capacity without having to build anything new."

I need to get off the internet until after voting day. It's going to give me a heart attack.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 6, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KG3 managed to sleep for 5.5 hours at a stretch last night, way to go little guy! He hates it when he pees on himself so we tried out Coterie diapers at night and the additional absorbency seems to be helping.

He then had a poop blowout on my wife lol owned

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I hate voting season when we have a school levy on the ballot. Too many insane or child-hating people come out of the woodwork to spout bullshit everywhere. Our school district is trying to pass a levy to build a new high school since our schools are all at >100% functional capacity. And the district is continuing to grow, so it's not going to magically go away. The school board has been exceptionally transparent and engaging with the community during this process to determine the best path forward before putting a levy on the ballot. The plan they've proposed is reasonable and realistic.

Now that the ballot is available, some idiots are posting poo poo like "I didn't have A/C in school. If you stopped using that, you'd save money and not have to raise my taxes." or "I don't even have kids in the school. Why do I need to pay for them?" My recent favorite that I saw today "If kids were on rotations where they did school from home over Zoom half the time, you'd double capacity without having to build anything new."

I need to get off the internet until after voting day. It's going to give me a heart attack.

I think the thing that blindsided me the most about having kids is just how hostile the rest of American society is to you and your kids once you give birth.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Blinkz0rz posted:

I think the thing that blindsided me the most about having kids is just how hostile the rest of American society is to you and your kids once you give birth.

We hung out with Canadian relatives. The dad was coming off his 4th month of paternity leave and was explaining to me as a USAian that they get a combined more than 15 months of leave between the father and mother, it was crazy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My 10 month old has learned to stand on his own, but has not yet learned how to un-stand.

Any advice on how to teach him to lower himself to the ground or fall safely?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He then had a poop blowout on my wife lol owned

You will learn not to relish in these events, as something worse is always lurking around the corner the next time it's your turn.

I don't post much here but I think I'll start. I have a just turned 6-year old and a 2.5 year old. Their birthdays are exactly 6 months apart :3:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RCarr posted:

My 10 month old has learned to stand on his own, but has not yet learned how to un-stand.

Ours just kind of figured it out after a week or two. That initial period sucks but the incentive to stop falling on your face / rear end is pretty compelling so I'm sure yours will get it figured out soon.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

RCarr posted:

My kid would pull herself up on the gate of her baby pen, but then get upset and not get down without falling. I basically spent a solo-parent weekend showing her how to move her hands up and down and eventually she figured it out (and was very excited! so cool to see her realize she learned it)

I think it’s just a matter of setting up a safe place for experimenting (mat, no hard objects) and perhaps showing them how to move up and down. They may not figure which muscles to engage right away, but eventually they get a hang of it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nocheez posted:

You will learn not to relish in these events, as something worse is always lurking around the corner the next time it's your turn.

I don't post much here but I think I'll start. I have a just turned 6-year old and a 2.5 year old. Their birthdays are exactly 6 months apart :3:

oh i had to deal with the aftermath of the poop blow out since my wife wanted to shower (reasonable)

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I hate voting season when we have a school levy on the ballot. Too many insane or child-hating people come out of the woodwork to spout bullshit everywhere. Our school district is trying to pass a levy to build a new high school since our schools are all at >100% functional capacity. And the district is continuing to grow, so it's not going to magically go away. The school board has been exceptionally transparent and engaging with the community during this process to determine the best path forward before putting a levy on the ballot. The plan they've proposed is reasonable and realistic.

There is some lady around here who is always complaining about taxes funding schools instead of roads on the local Facebook group.

This lady is also the first to complain about any sort of mess on the road and had an absolute meltdown when some gravel from the daycare’s driveway washed onto the road by her house.

She isn’t even close to cracking the top 10 of lunatics on the group.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ya that's every town we have a crank small business owner lady who runs every year and her brane jenious idea is to have the kids do their last year working for her biz for free because she is a proud mom and business is good for kids

she usually gets 30% of the vote, in MA

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Mad Wack posted:

ya that's every town we have a crank small business owner lady who runs every year and her brane jenious idea is to have the kids do their last year working for her biz for free because she is a proud mom and business is good for kids

she usually gets 30% of the vote, in MA

lol she and the bank manager here whose bing bong so simple idea of how to solve the childcare crisis is to have current stay-at-home parents also watch other people’s kids for free should get together.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nocheez posted:

That's pretty handy. Our family (me, wife, 4 kids) on the other hand, all decided to be born about the same time. We have five of our birthdays between this Friday and mid April, with three falling in one week.

Just glad I like cake.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Elissimpark posted:

That's pretty handy. Our family (me, wife, 4 kids) on the other hand, all decided to be born about the same time. We have five of our birthdays between this Friday and mid April, with three falling in one week.

Just glad I like cake.

My husband, our oldest daughter, and I have our birthdays within a two week span in the fall. The baby is the odd one out with a summer birthday.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We also have a 6yo and a 2.5yo exactly six months apart!

My wife's family is all strung together, the rest of us are all spread apart. It's pretty funny how it drives different traditions.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s incredible how my 1yo knows the exact place that would be the most annoying to get in to at any given time.

Big play area with toys and books? Boring.

Cupboard of freshly washed mixing bowls? Hell yeah let’s pull all of them out and get them dirty.

Parents making dinner and will need to store leftovers shortly? Time to hop in the Tupperware drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

We got an email from school saying one of our kids teachers is taking some time off from school, and admin is working with the subs.

I don't know what kind of management code that is, whether he's on health leave, some kind of forced admin leave, or has quit. My kid is early elementary, so not at an age where there's a rumor mill... But it would be nice to know what to talk about with him.

We also found out their old preschool is closing. It was a program with lots of wealthy families paying a lot of money, paid well, and they still couldn't stay open. They couldn't hire enough staff.

And the school board just announced they're looking to cap (and lower) how much property tax goes to schools.

My kids still have over a decade of school ahead of them....