Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

I'm playing with Dubs Bad Hygiene for the first time too

Oh man does this complicate caravan trips to mine some stuff picked up by a long-range mineral scanner.

I did not prepare for this first trip appropriately and the colonist who's charged with mining out some plasteel is having a bad time 🥵

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lysidas posted:

Oh man does this complicate caravan trips to mine some stuff picked up by a long-range mineral scanner.

I did not prepare for this first trip appropriately and the colonist who's charged with mining out some plasteel is having a bad time 🥵

Drop pod a porta potty to him, stat!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lysidas posted:

Just have them build a latrine and a primitive well. They won't get big moodlet bonuses from cleanliness but they'll keep them from getting sweaty and making GBS threads themselves and getting mad about it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kafouille posted:

I like Compositable Loadouts for clothing assignment, it's a nice and easy way to have a base layer everyone wears and then some overlays per-job on an individual basis

Kafouille posted:

Gear up and Go is great for automating that, I have my pawns tool around in civie clothes most of the time, and they all go to the emergency bunker to gear up when a raid comes in

These mods look incredible and would have saved me so, so much time over the years, especially if they work together,

Do you folks know if those mods are compatible with Armor Racks, so that a pawn will look for their loadout at a rack and do a quick-change into it instead of pawing through the stockpiles?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
I really stand by the mod Everybody Gets One: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1687566130

It lets you do things like set workbench bills to "X per colonist'" (useful for things like meals), and "One per colonist +X" (good for things like standard equipment where you want a number of spares)

These bills automatically adjust when the number of colonists changes, including when anyone goes off map on a caravan.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kestral posted:

These mods look incredible and would have saved me so, so much time over the years, especially if they work together,

Do you folks know if those mods are compatible with Armor Racks, so that a pawn will look for their loadout at a rack and do a quick-change into it instead of pawing through the stockpiles?

Dont armor racks just kinda act like stock piles?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Racks from the Armor Racks mods also function as one-button rapid-transfer stations, where your armor lives while you're not wearing it. The fanciest version repairs gear while it's being held, but they cost an Advanced Component each, plus components and construction material.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1875828205

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Dont armor racks just kinda act like stock piles?

You can switch all clothes and armor your pawn is wearing with all clothes and armor that are on armor rack with one action, so it makes switching loadouts incredibly convenient.

EDIT: Too late, but yeah, exactly what the goon above me said. :v:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yeah, armor racks are great. The problem is that because they are in fact treated like stockpiles (albeit ones that only the linked pawn can use), your pawns will often just go grab bits and pieces off the rack and go wandering around half-geared. This has two effects: first, they might be wearing stuff that is either too valuable to let degrade or too encumbering for daily use (especially concerning for people who use Medieval Overhaul, where a set of metal armor has huge movement penalties); second, when you draft them and order them to exchange what they're wearing with what's on the rack, they suddenly have a mismatched loadout right before they're about to fight.

You can get around all this with proper management, but any way to automate it and take some of the potential for irritation or disaster out of it is nice. One way to avoid this problem is to create "civilian" clothing sets that disallow everything on the armor rack, then draft and hit Equip from Rack, but there's a weird bug where sometimes pawns will edit their own clothing permissions if you do this. You won't know they've set their battle gear to Allowed until a while later when you notice, for example, that your knight with high Animals is struggling to get his mount-training duties done because he's decided that he wants to plod around the meadow ave enclosure in full plate.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I’ve never once observed that behavior, but like I said awhile ago I use a Worker outfit to keep everyone from wearing out armor pieces while farming and whatnot.

The racks need to be set to Critical and given permissions only for what you want to be stored there. Those restrictions are ignored when you use the pawn command button to transfer from rack, and the contents are automatically Forbidden to keep haulers from helping by putting everyone’s day clothes away.

Once pawns transfer from the rack, the transferred gear is considered a Force Wear, and that status is reset once they swap the armor back for their regular clothes. Seamless, once you set up ownership and storage permissions. I’ve used this for my designated combat team for years, whether they were going out into the world on foot, mounted, or flying a gunship.

You have to (or get to) build a Ready Room between your main stomping grounds and your perimeter, and if you’ve got a lot of pawns with their own personal combat gear that can get to be a pretty large building by itself. This game I got a bunch of Uranium from it coming alongside quest rewards I actually wanted, so I’ve got it built into the near side of the perimeter, where eventually I’m going to put some slug turrets and then maybe an obelisk, a layer of granite for everyday fireproofing and then a layer of uranium for field-day activities getting too rambunctious.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Forbidding the door to my armory to prevent pawns from making the style choice of wearing plate armor for the corn harvest

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
corn can be very dangerous, I don't blame them

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

death cob for cutie posted:

corn can be very dangerous, I don't blame them

This is why they make antigrain warheads

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Leal posted:

This is why they make antigrain warheads

reminder that i thought antigrain warheads were to kill crops and never ever used them in my first maybe 2 years of playing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I launch a Grain Warhead into the thread

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Prograin warhead
Rogaine warhead
Migraine warhead
Trigrain
Trigeminal

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

wit posted:

reminder that i thought antigrain warheads were to kill crops and never ever used them in my first maybe 2 years of playing.

Took me a long time to work it out too tbh. It's a lovely name.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Anti stain warheads should exist. They instantly destroy all filth (and maybe pollution) buildup in the blast radius, but do minor explosion damage. Set up the equivalent of a firefoam popper in your hospital, just in case.

Anti rain warheads are emergency weather control shells that when fired from a mortar make it instantly go from any drizzle / storm / thunderstorm to clear weather.

Anti reign warheads make tame animals go back to untamed

Anti brain warheads do what it says on the label, a real "no brainer," duh

Anti slain warheads are resurrection serum that is area of effect

Anti pain etc etc you get where this is going

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mortar rounds which inflict psionic effects like Painblock is actually a great loving idea

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Antistatin causes heart blockage (major)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
For full coverage, you also need an antituber warhead for colonies that grow potatoes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Anti pain etc etc you get where this is going

More like oldantipainless

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My colonists will wear their siegebreaker armor all day and chug go juice to make up for it because that level of micromanagement can gently caress off

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doltos posted:

My colonists will wear their siegebreaker armor all day and chug go juice to make up for it because that level of micromanagement can gently caress off
Yeah armor micromanagement is really not worth it. It's such a colossal hassle even with mods and all it gets you is a few percentage points of efficiency, and meanwhile your pawns are sitting ducks if you get drop pods in their bedroom or whatever when you don't have time to go suit up. The only real exception might be early on in a colony where plate mail is a big survivability increase but with massive move speed penalties and there's fewer colonists to micromanage.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Anti stain warheads should exist.

And should be called a Cillit Bang Warhead.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lmao the difference in injury rate and lost time to wound recovery is dramatic and is what made it clear to me that basic gear management is worthwhile

I do more detailed micro for scheduling, meal and drug plans, working stockpiles for crafting stations, and individual work priorities already.

What do y’all do while the game is running if you’re not tweaking settings to make things run on rails?

e: if we get a drop pod raid we eat the extra injuries, that’s what drop pod raids are for, to bypass every layer of preparedness (except I guess for putting turrets in your common areas).

If we get a raid which is coming right in, everybody who doesn’t have an assigned armor rack has to do the firefight in shirtsleeves. Having the core of pawns who can fast-swap, who are also the better fighters with basically all of the melee skill present on our side helps break the raid faster and take the majority of the fire, by being out front once the main body comes within firing range.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if you are getting so mad at pod drop raids why not disable them?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drop pod raids suck but they make the game interesting imo so I can't disable them

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

LonsomeSon posted:

lmao the difference in injury rate and lost time to wound recovery is dramatic and is what made it clear to me that basic gear management is worthwhile

I do more detailed micro for scheduling, meal and drug plans, working stockpiles for crafting stations, and individual work priorities already.

What do y’all do while the game is running if you’re not tweaking settings to make things run on rails?

Play another game while I wait for events to pop off, streamline my production/industry or reorganize my stockpiles.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Of course the armor is definitely worth it. It makes a huge difference. But is the small speed bonus worth it to ever take the armor off? "Not managing armor" to me means letting them just keep their armor on all the time.

In vanilla at least you can just set the armor you want at "make until you have 1 at more than 50% durability" like with clothes and you're all set. Your pawns will just put the best stuff on. Not much management to it at all.

If I really cared about the move speed it would be during combat as well as when they're working, so I'd just stick to the good ol' flack vest and duster.

Of course that's without mods. I've got a mod that lets you wear recon armor under your duster. It is overpowered, but Fallout New Vegas is really cool so gently caress it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eiba posted:

Of course the armor is definitely worth it. It makes a huge difference. But is the small speed bonus worth it to ever take the armor off? "Not managing armor" to me means letting them just keep their armor on all the time.

In vanilla at least you can just set the armor you want at "make until you have 1 at more than 50% durability" like with clothes and you're all set. Your pawns will just put the best stuff on. Not much management to it at all.

If I really cared about the move speed it would be during combat as well as when they're working, so I'd just stick to the good ol' flack vest and duster.

Of course that's without mods. I've got a mod that lets you wear recon armor under your duster. It is overpowered, but Fallout New Vegas is really cool so gently caress it.

It's this. Barring mods that add non-armor clothing that massively increase workspeed or whatever, there's very little reason to not spend 100% of your time armored to the gills in Rimworld. Your losses for wearing armor all the time are a move speed debuff(which is primarily only seriously relevant if/when you're still using plate armor and is largely trivial once you've progressed to flak) and wear and tear on the armor itself. In exchange you get a shitload less micromanagement and the bonus side effect of everyone being ready to rock and roll on a moment's notice if you get a drop pod raid or an infestation or whatever.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Telsa Cola posted:

Play another game while I wait for events to pop off, streamline my production/industry or reorganize my stockpiles.

That’s what I’m saying, this is equivalent to or more fiddly than what needs to be done to set Armor Racks to have an owner and a loadout, and needs to be done far more often. It seems weird to have a hangup over armor but not these things.

Eiba posted:

Of course the armor is definitely worth it. It makes a huge difference. But is the small speed bonus worth it to ever take the armor off? ”Not managing armor" to me means letting them just keep their armor on all the time.

Oh my god, the immediate and visceral spike of disgust which went through me when I read that. It’s a valid gameplay approach I would never consider because of how unrelentingly vile and filthy it would be to just live in body armor.

I mean pawns already only have one set of clothes and the idea of washing isn’t in the base game (and where it appears in dub’s it’s just to get the dead-man funk out of raid drops) so it’s absolutely a personal squick factor which made me unable to contemplate your idea.

I just…imagine the smell

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Do you have multiple sets of clothing for every pawn?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It’s not going to be a hangup which makes sense to anyone who hasn’t ever had to spend more than a full day wearing body armor.

I said I realize it doesn’t make sense at all in the game world!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
My armour racks are just hat and helmet racks to satisfy the "I need my leader hat!!" desire, except for their own good when going to battle so they don't risk bullet-related brain injury and drooling imbecile status forcing me to revoke their leadership role and their hat privilege.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Synthread jumpsuits (VE) all around, except for military who eventually get thrumboskin military uniforms and power armour depending on their role. I'm also on the side of preferring my blorbos to look cool and uniform rather than mix and match for better numbers

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah I can't bear to have my poor pawns wearing armor all the time. It just feels weird to see them chilling out, going for a walk, cooking dinner while wearing giant power armor with a chain gun strapped to their back. Not that I'd want to be forced to micromanage, but I like the minor added complexity and it's not too bad with the mods.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I admit, I don't play around much with any clothing restriction/requirements when making an ideology. I am boring and just settle on the standard flak vest, devilstrand duster, marine helmet, pants, and button shirt as my general colonist outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I've been putting on some of the edited YouTube Adam vs Everything LPs as background noise during my work day, but it's not entirely what I'm looking for in Rimworld content. Any recommendations?