Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I, for one, wholeheartedly support Bavarian secession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Antigravitas posted:

I, for one, wholeheartedly support Bavarian secession.

Same

German Unification was a mistake and should be reversed. The 1866-1871 one not the 1991 one.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm not opposed to rebuilding the wall either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah unless there's something else really obviously sketch I don't see why we need to fixate on the username.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"mia san mia" is pretty loving cringe, but not yet illegal.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Snap Strategy video makes it look like the max plague settings pretty much send all affected counties to 0 development over and over as the Black Death hits them repeatedly.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Watching the Laith game and the spread of Black Death in the plague view map filled me with the same sort of deep anxiety that I had when playing Plague Inc in February 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the explanation i heard was that Bavaria was basically the Texas of Germany

as a Californian that generally says that when asked "where are you from?" abroad, well, i can't really complain

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

OPB has a little review up as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2nSYKGfCU

TLDR is he really likes it, and that he wouldn’t want to play the game without the expansion’s core mechanics again. Which I think is decently high praise - he’s not too shy about criticizing PDS stuff fairly heavily.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

and it looks like peeps aren't having results from trying the putative fix for posix crashes on the bug forum, lol

Yup, still crashing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one wonders if they even have a reliable repro

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Considering that it doesn't take that long to trigger and always happens in the same place, it seems to me they better loving do.

The question is whether they care, and evidently they do not.

Which is a shame, because all the Clausewitz games always ran best on Linux for me…

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's a discourse of like, passion and bugfixing going around this sort of mega-buggy game that never rung true to me, because bug rate is a lot more connected to practices (automated testing, typeshit, linting) than one would expect. you also don't really get the kind of bulldog, spend-4-months-straight-fixing-a-bug sorta peeps in video games, which i guess is a sorta communal "they don't give a gently caress". it's a lot more about mediocrity and inability. hanlon's razor applies hard on this sorta thing

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Paradox has always been bad at QA with their more successful games, but I feel like this generation has been especially bad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I haven't encountered it again after uninstalling the game, grepping my filesystem for anything remaining (there were dozens of things remaining), cleaning it up manually by a lotta rm -rf, then reinstalling, anyhow

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Curiously, posts like this are being made and apparently PDX mods have standing orders to immediately censor any mention of the bug they have been ignoring for months.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Trip report:

"Minor" consumption bug killed my three oldest children, half my court, and two physicians. Me and my wife barely recovered.

Plagues are no joke.

Also you lose 100 legitimacy (an entire rank) every time you yoink a title from someone. That's gonna make realm management a little tricky. I like it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SlothBear posted:

Trip report:

"Minor" consumption bug killed my three oldest children, half my court, and two physicians. Me and my wife barely recovered.

Plagues are no joke.

Also you lose 100 legitimacy (an entire rank) every time you yoink a title from someone. That's gonna make realm management a little tricky. I like it.

I haven't played the new stuff yet, but not being able to revoke titles of my rebellious vassals is one of my favorite things to do. Going to be very annoying if that has been effectively removed from the table. Maybe I'll just start executing instead.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The one thing that bugs me as a modder is in the core_tenets file there are three errors that I have to fix when updating the code for my mod, and those three errors have been in there for several versions now. They're extremely small things, but they are there and it's about 30 seconds work to fix them.

I am very much looking forward to digging into this though, Legends are extremely my jam.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Looks like "legitimacy is a resource" is the new "stress is a resource".

I haven't played yet (modder's curse) but I guess that "the penalties for low legitimacy are noticable but not necessarily crippling" makes a lot more sense than the pre-release speculation sounded like if a lot of things that players used to Just Do now cost so much legitimacy.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Curiously, posts like this are being made and apparently PDX mods have standing orders to immediately censor any mention of the bug they have been ignoring for months.

Clearly these people should just Post More, that will definitely get the bug fixed faster.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not been following any of the dev stream stuff. What differentiates legitimacy from tyranny?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
more laser focused on bullshit meta-following players do

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why not just alter Tyranny to address that, rather than introducing a similar-sounded mechanic (similar in both mechanics and flavour) to do the same thing? Bloat is a very real thing in these games.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe they also liked devereauxs dealio a lot, i dunno

https://acoup.blog/2022/10/07/collections-teaching-paradox-crusader-kings-iii-part-iii-constructivisting-a-kingdom/

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is the new update save game compatible? I was going to keep just playing the old version for my current game, but it isn't available in the Betas on Steam.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Is the new update save game compatible? I was going to keep just playing the old version for my current game, but it isn't available in the Betas on Steam.

It is, it's just near the beginning of the list instead of the end (since it's sorted alphabetically lol)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not save compatible. scaterrys implicature is unfortunate

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Am I doing something wrong with legends? It feels like the only way I can get them to spread is by conquering and making my vassals do it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Raserys posted:

Am I doing something wrong with legends? It feels like the only way I can get them to spread is by conquering and making my vassals do it.

Did you use the court chronicler? There's also options to use feasts and tours to spread legends.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I haven't played the new stuff yet, but not being able to revoke titles of my rebellious vassals is one of my favorite things to do. Going to be very annoying if that has been effectively removed from the table. Maybe I'll just start executing instead.

You can still do it after they revolt without penalty. I just liked to yoink it away from terrified vassals to manage my realm and that's not as easy an option now.

Raserys posted:

Yeah, Court Chronicler spreading legend either foreign if you're small or domestic if you're big, throw feasts with the spread legend goal, etc.

I got a legend to spread to 300 baronies as a Duke without doing much more than that. You get a bunch of events and just always take the legend spread option.

edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scota

I had no idea that was actually a thing. Amazing.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 5, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

Why not just alter Tyranny to address that, rather than introducing a similar-sounded mechanic (similar in both mechanics and flavour) to do the same thing? Bloat is a very real thing in these games.

I agree they represent similar - or at least overlapping - enough things that arguably Legitimacy should replace Tyranny, yeah, but they're different enough in mechanics (Tyranny is a simple opinion penalty, Legitimacy represents the full spectrum of the same idea, impacts more things/is less easily counteracted, and the expectation levels also add some mechanical nuance) that I can kinda live with the overlap in the meantime.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Honestly legitimacy and tyranny should occupy the same graph on 2 different axises of "Should you be king" . Legitimacy is a sort of burecratic "officially the law says" while tyranny is the more emotional "i dont want this guy to kill me"

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 5, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hihohe posted:

Honestly legitimacy and tyranny should occupy the same graph on 2 different axises of "Should you be king" . Legitimacy is a sort of burecratic "officially the law says" while tyranny is the more emotional "i dont want this guy to kill me"

"i dont want this guy to kill me" would be dread

Serephina posted:

Yeah like last time I played EU4 theres so many different kind of points and systems often for similar thing, its overwhelming

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 5, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"i don't want this guy to kill me" vs. "this guy should die for his crimes"

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

There could be some interesting interplay there where once you start tyrannical actions it is increasingly hard to go all in on it, since you lose legitimacy but you rule through fear. Vice versa the more legitimate you are the less you need to rely on fear, but if the grip ever slips you gotta roll some heads.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Looks like "legitimacy is a resource" is the new "stress is a resource".

I haven't played yet (modder's curse) but I guess that "the penalties for low legitimacy are noticable but not necessarily crippling" makes a lot more sense than the pre-release speculation sounded like if a lot of things that players used to Just Do now cost so much legitimacy.

I will say that treating legitimacy as a resource can be more precarious than tyranny because sometimes things out of your control like plagues will cost you legitimacy, while tyranny is pretty much entirely in your control.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Hihohe posted:

Wouldn't legitimacy be "I believe this guy should be king"

A combination of legal stuff, opinion, claim strength, family history, time in role, religion and culture stuff.

Dread being "this guy is king, and regardless of my beliefs I'm too scared to do anything about it"

Tyranny is probably better as, they did actions I didn't like with benevolent being, they did stuff I like and an altogether different axis.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I got tyranny and dread mixed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I don't think the new expansion really adds much for me personally.

Legends seem like a worthwhile money sink, but their most notable effects are in claims and drifting realms into kingdom/empire titles. So, if you're playing a duke or count, that's not going to do anything for you. Likewise, the artifacts you can generate from legends are seemingly all court artifacts. So, you really have to be at least a king to interact with legends in the way they were intended.

The passive effects are pretty underwhelming. Monthly .4 prestige, or 6% to renown, or 8% dev increase. Stuff like that. I haven't seen much of a variety from legends, I think each can maybe be fit into 3 categories that each are not very distinct from each other. All are only really relevant when the character who benefits is living.

I was really looking forward to getting special buildings, but there's only about five and each are mechanically weaker and less interesting than any historical special building. Also, you can't stack special building slots. So, if your capital is a holy site or has a historic building or whatever, the new special building will spawn elsewhere. This is really what is most disappointing to me as I thought I'd be able to customize unglamorous provinces, but the fantasy isn't really there.

Plagues are more interesting, but are still pretty uninteractive. Haven't played long enough to get the black death, but it seems like if your capital is in the mountains, or on an island and you're building the hospital line of buildings, you can effectively hermit out disease that WILL otherwise jumble up the gamestate around you.

And that's really all that's new. It's interesting and better to have than not, but really... very thin.

Besides that is also adds abunch of new bugs. The game started regularly crashing for me for the first time ever (I'm on Windows). Another one: I don't know if it's a bug but it seemed crazy, I was playing with the Iranian culture on Crete, a two province duke under Byzantium and decided to hybridize with Greek, which turned ALL OF BYZANTIUM, somehow, to Iranian-Greek. It went from being a two province culture with just myself following it, to one of the largest cultures in the game. It didn't used to work this way and was both surprising and annoying. Then the new culture head immediately started changing the cultures, somehow, when that choice should have been on cooldown.

I don't like blobbing. I never have. I generally try to make a small, tall nation and focus on my dynasty and if you're like me, I think you're gonna be disappointed with this one too

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 6, 2024