Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Merdle posted:

Hahaha my friend said "why doesn't the worm just throw them off"

I had to explain that the worm isn't real and it's a thematic and narrative device used to showcase the Fremen vulnerability to and mastery of the desert.

The worm doesn't want to get sand in its many vaginae, that's why the hooks are held as far into the air as the worm can manage.

StashAugustine posted:

I loved the little detail of the breathing holes in the worm skin kind of implying that without explicitly saying it

Or this, I guess. But who knows how worms even work? I know sandtrout are involved, somehow, and the spice is... jizz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

One thing I liked was the the little character moment shown before the ultimate duels of each film.

Before the Jamis duel, Paul responds to his opponent's "May your blade chip and shatter" with the Atredes salute.

Before the Feyd-Rautha duel, Mau'Dib offers the same "May your blade..." first and we learn a little something about Feyd-Rautha when he returns it enthusiastically in kind, seeming to savor the curse.

With this and the rest of their interaction (outside of trying to kill each other), did anyone else get the impression that in another lifetime, where there is no blood feud between the two families, Feyd and Paul could have been friends?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Or this, I guess. But who knows how worms even work? I know sandtrout are involved, somehow, and the spice is... jizz?

It’s dried worm-larva poo poo. Sandtrout consume water and poo poo exotic organic compounds. If they get enough water, they eventually pupate and turn into worms. Wherever there’s large amounts of water underground, you get loads of sandtrout, and eventually their concentrated poo poo reacts explosively with the water and splatters all over the surface. Once the debris dries out, some of it ends up being melange.

The worms feed on sand-plankton which are apparently also embryonic sandtrout. You might think that a gigantic organism deriving all its energy from destroying its own microscopic offspring doesn’t make much sense, but as the Fremen would say, “masha’allah” (from the ancient Bhotani Jib: “whatever”)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Roman Reigns posted:

With this and the rest of their interaction (outside of trying to kill each other), did anyone else get the impression that in another lifetime, where there is no blood feud between the two families, Feyd and Paul could have been friends?

I could see Feyd as the guy who gets really attached to Paul, while Paul is trying to get as far away as possible. So a real What About Bob? dynamic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJejmmBA5vM

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Reviewers going "not saying 'jihad' is Arab erasure" might be the dumbest talking point for a movie in like a decade

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

skasion posted:

It’s dried worm-larva poo poo. Sandtrout consume water and poo poo exotic organic compounds. If they get enough water, they eventually pupate and turn into worms. Wherever there’s large amounts of water underground, you get loads of sandtrout, and eventually their concentrated poo poo reacts explosively with the water and splatters all over the surface. Once the debris dries out, some of it ends up being melange.

The worms feed on sand-plankton which are apparently also embryonic sandtrout. You might think that a gigantic organism deriving all its energy from destroying its own microscopic offspring doesn’t make much sense, but as the Fremen would say, “masha’allah” (from the ancient Bhotani Jib: “whatever”)

It would make more sense if the sand plankton were photosynthetic in some way. Then at least there would be an energy source.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Zopotantor posted:

It would make more sense if the sand plankton were photosynthetic in some way. Then at least there would be an energy source.

dune encyclopedia says that the full worm is autotroph. next sentence indicates that its a chemotroph

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/182222/where-does-the-energy-come-from-in-the-dune-ecosystem

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

skasion posted:

It's also implied worms are the result of an ancient terraforming project long forgotten so their life cycle is probably artificial

Toxic Mental posted:

Reviewers going "not saying 'jihad' is Arab erasure" might be the dumbest talking point for a movie in like a decade

I did like that they mentioned djinni and had a few other elements of Arab culture even if they changed the language and reworded some things

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Roman Reigns posted:

Well, remember under the Bene Gesserit plan, Paul was supposed to be a girl and grow up to make a baby Kwisatz Haderach with Feyd, so...makes sense.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

StashAugustine posted:

It's also implied worms are the result of an ancient terraforming project long forgotten so their life cycle is probably artificial

I did like that they mentioned djinni and had a few other elements of Arab culture even if they changed the language and reworded some things

Where is that implied?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Peter Falk posted:

Where is that implied?

theres a whole scene in the movie characterising stilgar as superstitious by him warning paul about the djinn. pauls facial expression is pretty great

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the terraforming thing is mentioned in the appendices? It's been a while though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Leto talks about something like that at one point in Children, to the effect that when the first worm ancestors arrived Arrakis must have been a wet world and that the worm life cycle has transformed the environment to perpetuate itself. And we later do see worms used to actively transform a wet world (Chapterhouse) into a second Dune. Idk if that means that worms were actively used to make Arrakis the way it is in the first place. Their presence there seems to predate human habitation and it’s hard to see what humans would think they’d gain from desertifying the planet so that most of it is unlivable. Like yeah it turns out well (for some people), but surely in advance you wouldn’t know that. It could be just that the ancestors of the worms were an inadvertent eco-disaster that were left to cook for a zillion years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, I'm not saying it was aliens, but

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Speaking of trailers I got an advertisement for the Halo TV series before my movie. I know that the Spartan 3 SPI Armour goes all the way back to 2006 but they've definitely been leaning heavily into the all-white Sardaukar look with it ever since Dune Part 1 released.

They look badass, but if you read Ghosts of Onyx you learn that those are children, and 100% of them will die on their first mission. The second group of them will fare better and have a 99.3% mortality rate!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 4, 2024

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

William Bear posted:

They look badass, but if you read Ghosts of Onyx you learn that those are children, and 100% of them will die on their first mission. The second group of them will fare better and have a 99.8% mortality rate!

I'm doing my part!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Toxic Mental posted:

You’d think not being portrayed as a group of maniac genociders would be a positive smdh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
absolutely not, maniac genocide is a cinch for third movie, which is prolly gonna happen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

priznat posted:

You’d think not being portrayed as a group of maniac genociders would be a positive smdh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i'm seeing it tomorrow on a converted omnimax screen. the last time i saw something there was BR2049, and it was so big i had to tilt my head up or down to look from corner to corner, and the sound was so loud it shook the rafters. i'm gonna have no loving clue what's going on lmao

Still catching up, is this goon still alive. The sandworm riding scene alone

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I feel like I still have eye strain from front row seats in pseudo IMAX

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

StashAugustine posted:

I feel like I still have eye strain from front row seats in pseudo IMAX

my brother committed to seeing it so he bought an eye patch to cover his bad eye since he won't be getting cataract surgery until later this month.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

StashAugustine posted:

And I got the vibe that the djinn likely refers to hallucinations that people can get alone in the desert - and/or visions, since Fremen are all at least a little bit psychic due to all the Spice.

The whole deal with Feyd and Paul both being basically kids forced into a saviour role who have to fake it til they make it, and Paul is probably the first person Feyd has met who he can call an equal. Mirroring the taunt seems almost mocking yet genuine, that he's stoked to actually fight a foe he can respect. Doesn't stop him being an unhinged casual murderer, cannibal and probably matricidal, which is another interesting contrast to Paul being pretty dependent on his mother still at this point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I was a little disappointed the Harkonnens are way dumber here than the book, but Feyd was so well done I'm willing to overlook it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I felt the Harkonnens were actually done pretty well. Rabban was always a dumbass in the book so that carried over. The rank and file Harkonnens aren't braindead, they make salient points to their superiors (before getting their heads smashed or throats slit) and they are much, much better prepared to fight the Fremen than the Atreides or the Sardaukar. They've got environment suits, anti gravity jets to avoid worms and much better defended spice harvesters.

They still get mauled by the Fremen but they definitely show experience dealing with Arrakis that others don't, even if their experience and methods come down to brutal overwhelming firepower.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I felt the Harkonnens were actually done pretty well. Rabban was always a dumbass in the book so that carried over.

Rude. Herbert’s Rabban is obviously brutal and awful and not a super genius prana-bindu mentat like some people, but he’s also not nearly as dumb as he looks. If you read his scenes, he’s more on top of things than the Baron is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I felt the Harkonnens were actually done pretty well. Rabban was always a dumbass in the book so that carried over. The rank and file Harkonnens aren't braindead, they make salient points to their superiors (before getting their heads smashed or throats slit) and they are much, much better prepared to fight the Fremen than the Atreides or the Sardaukar. They've got environment suits, anti gravity jets to avoid worms and much better defended spice harvesters.

They still get mauled by the Fremen but they definitely show experience dealing with Arrakis that others don't, even if their experience and methods come down to brutal overwhelming firepower.

Rabban wasn't a dumbass in the book though. Rabban was the only one who actually seemed to grasp the danger of the Freman while his Uncle and the people around him went "lol, those desert dwellers? you suck Rabaan." Like a major point of the character is that he was cruel and awful but he also had a genuine grasp over the overwhelming threat of the Freman that nobody not on the Atredes side had, and was able to ask a question which made the Baron go "Wait, that's a lot smarter than I give him credit for, have I underestimated him?"

In comparison Feyd was kind of a dumbass. He was tricked by Hawat, his plans were unsubtle, he was arrogant, he basically was a fuckin' mess of a dude who was primed to be easily controlled and manipulated by the BG and others. Pretty much the only thing he had going for him was he was a good fighter (but not a great one, he would have met his end in the fighting ring if not for things cheated in his favor) and that he was attractive.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also when the Baron finally gets hauled before the emperor and it becomes clear he’s in deep poo poo, his internal monologue is like “oh my god…Rabban set me up”. Like, he didn’t, obviously, but the point is that the baron’s dismissal of Rabban as a meathead stems from insecurity. He wants to believe that Rabban and Feyd are no threat to him because he is so smart and they’re just stupid/sexy people he cunningly plans to use.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My read on Rabban being dim comes from him reacting to Vlad saying "squeeze them" by taking a rather literal meaning to the phrase.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Cutting out Thufir being on everyone's side and quietly trying to get the Harkonnens to kill each other off is a missed opportunity of comedy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also yeah there's the whole thing where the plan is explicitly to send the well known psycho to do the brutal counterinsurgency and then make a show of swapping him for their charismatic heir once the Fremen are beaten badly. I mean book Feyd is even dumber so I don't know how well it would have worked even without the whole psychic Messiah business but still its not a bad plan

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Every time you see rabban in part two he’s getting owned. It’s great

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah even though I don't like how they flattened the character, Bautista sells it well

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://x.com/owainanderson/status/1764712144342294561?s=20

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arc Hammer posted:

I felt the Harkonnens were actually done pretty well. Rabban was always a dumbass in the book so that carried over.

He wasn't, though. In the book he keeps trying to tell his uncle "Look, these Fremen are the real poo poo, they're not just a bunch of annoying raiders," and Baron's response is "yeah whatever more spice now."

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
A lot of stuff gets missed even when you read through Dune multiple times. I'm one of the people that literally forgot Count Fenrig existed for probably the first 3 or 4 read throughs of the book when I was younger. I never noticed the "Rabban was actually right" stuff until my literal last read through about 3 years ago. It's tucked in really tight in there since Rabban only gets maybe 3 or 4 in-person scenes, while most of the time people are just talking about how dumb he is.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:monocle: