Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I have 2 entrances to my base, since the river runs through it, so I have 2 armor racks near those, so I have everyone in civilian clothing most of the time, but when I get raided, I have everyone go put on a flak vest and helmet at least and go form up, and then when the raid is over, I just click the "clear forced" button so they go back to their civilian clothes. I keep a few people in armor full time though. Usually the people wearing power armor that doesn't inhibit their movement much. They also don't do a lot of non-fighting things so the armor isn't messing with like, medicine or cooking or tailoring or sowing/harvesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Watching a bunch of dirt farming overall dudes tromp into the ready room and swap into their murder clothes while a bunch of dumbshits stand around outside "preparing" is one of the great joys in Rimworld. Farmers walk in, space marines walk out, there's a lot of noise, space marines walk in, farmers walk out.

"Welp, looks like those assholes are back again. Time to leave the tater patch for a bit everyone, meet in the ready room."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I brought my Drake posted:

I've been putting on some of the edited YouTube Adam vs Everything LPs as background noise during my work day, but it's not entirely what I'm looking for in Rimworld content. Any recommendations?

Hazzor or AmbiguousAmphibian

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

It’s not going to be a hangup which makes sense to anyone who hasn’t ever had to spend more than a full day wearing body armor.

I said I realize it doesn’t make sense at all in the game world!
You're going to have to make peace with some abstractions. There's a lot that doesn't work if you think about it literally. Like, a day is a few minutes instead of 24 hours, so with that compression you're going to have to imagine your pawns are doing a lot of things like changing clothes that are just too fiddly to represent. This isn't a Dwarf Fortress simulation. It's a game full of abstractions that at best you can imagine representing something actually happening.

Or you can have fun managing their outfits every raid if that's something you don't mind or even enjoy!

I've been putting on some of the edited YouTube Adam vs Everything LPs as background noise during my work day, but it's not entirely what I'm looking for in Rimworld content. Any recommendations?
Francis John has had some good videos and he's pretty competent. Ambiguous Amphibian had some unedited full playthroughs on his VOD channel a while back, but I couldn't get through them 'cause I feel he doesn't have as good a grasp of the game and I keep wanting him to do things more efficiently. I don't think either of them have done Rimworld content all that recently, but you should be able to find something on their channels.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rimworld is many things to many people, so there’s a lot of possibilities for LPers. What would you like in your LPs? More themed and story focused, or ruthlessly mechanical challenges? Heavily modded or vanilla? Tight editing or long sessions presented mostly as-is, but with good commentary?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rhadamant is pretty cool if you want someone who is chill and very thoroughly explaining what he's doing and why, often with few mods except for something to overhaul the theme of that game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The way I see it, there are worker ants and there are soldier ants and asking a soldier ant to work comes at a penalty. I rarely let my soldiers take their armor off.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh, I should add, when it comes to abstraction- if it makes you feel better it's explicit in the graphics that they take their armor off to sleep. You can see their faces and stuff even if they're wearing marine armor. They're just able to instantly put it back on when they wake up 'cause abstractions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If I want people to fight they live in their armor. I could say it's because of a desire to always be prepared against drop podsor infestations, but it's actually because I have never found a mod that makes it any simpler or more convenient than switching between outfits in vanilla and it's just an annoyance that either eats my time or doesn't seem to work as I want it to. Last game I used Gear Up And Go but never saw any way to actually assign them outfits to change into :shrug:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Ms Adequate posted:

If I want people to fight they live in their armor. I could say it's because of a desire to always be prepared against drop podsor infestations, but it's actually because I have never found a mod that makes it any simpler or more convenient than switching between outfits in vanilla and it's just an annoyance that either eats my time or doesn't seem to work as I want it to. Last game I used Gear Up And Go but never saw any way to actually assign them outfits to change into :shrug:

You can assign the clothing manually by switching the assignments then hitting the button, but it's made to be used with the Better Pawn Control emergency mode, so you assign the combat clothing to the emergency mode and then hit the button for them to change and report in.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Recently I started watching an LP buy a guy called RatKnight and was enjoying it..

Turns out, he's build himself an entire Rimworld Universe with multiple LPs, all with recurring characters in it, so I've just started with his first series in this universe of his and I've been enjoying that so far.

The first series is "Logging Empire" and after that "Alcohol Empire" which I just finished and I'm now on the 3rd series.

His episodes are quite short and sweet too and very narrative driven, you should check them out. The very first few are only like 15m long.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Legendary thrumbofur dusters, hyper weave broad wraps, and ok sure, legendary flak vests.

I still like the hilarity of combat in a legendary thrumbofur formal vest or corset.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Capes are better than dusters because they have the same stats but capes are valid as ideology role apparel (besides Leader).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish dusters worked better with the Star Trek spacer-future tech asthetic I go for, the cowboy coats have great numbers but just don't look right :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

isndl posted:

Capes are better than dusters because they have the same stats but capes are valid as ideology role apparel (besides Leader).

They're also more expensive, which is a downside for wealth management

Personally I just really like the idea of everyone walking around looking like Lando Calrissian in a big flowing cape

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Kestral posted:

Rimworld is many things to many people, so there’s a lot of possibilities for LPers. What would you like in your LPs? More themed and story focused, or ruthlessly mechanical challenges? Heavily modded or vanilla? Tight editing or long sessions presented mostly as-is, but with good commentary?

Less on the mechanical challenges and more self-imposed storytelling ones, I guess. Ones with good commentary, edited or not. I feel like once the game difficulty's at Losing Is Fun, you're pretty much telling the same story with maybe a little variety in subplots.

QuarkJets posted:

Rhadamant is pretty cool if you want someone who is chill and very thoroughly explaining what he's doing and why, often with few mods except for something to overhaul the theme of that game.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Recently I started watching an LP buy a guy called RatKnight and was enjoying it..

Turns out, he's build himself an entire Rimworld Universe with multiple LPs, all with recurring characters in it, so I've just started with his first series in this universe of his and I've been enjoying that so far.

The first series is "Logging Empire" and after that "Alcohol Empire" which I just finished and I'm now on the 3rd series.

His episodes are quite short and sweet too and very narrative driven, you should check them out. The very first few are only like 15m long.

These are great examples. I'd also like to find a Star Trek overhaul LP someday.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Less on the mechanical challenges and more self-imposed storytelling ones, I guess. Ones with good commentary, edited or not. I feel like once the game difficulty's at Losing Is Fun, you're pretty much telling the same story with maybe a little variety in subplots.

These are great examples. I'd also like to find a Star Trek overhaul LP someday.

If you can stomach him, Mr. Samuel Streamer's LPs are pretty fun since they usually have 500+ mods and are very themed around storylines and characters he makes up.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

On the one hand, I love that this is a thing because it's the kind of Rimworld content I want to exist, but didn't know existed. On the other hand, I'm annoyed that this is a thing, because I was literally musing to myself last night that doing a heavily narrative-based series of Rimworld LPs is just about the only thing that could ever get me to stream or make YouTube content, and I was seriously considering whether I wanted to fill that vacancy.

In that case, in addition to RatKnight sounding like it's on the money, I'd check out Pete Complete's and Prester John's Rimworld stuff. There's a powerful backlog for both, too.

That said, Adam's current Sanguophage run is worth a look. The narrative is quite a thing, Cassandra had strong opinions on how his Grimdark Vampire Overlord run ought to go.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Kestral posted:

On the one hand, I love that this is a thing because it's the kind of Rimworld content I want to exist, but didn't know existed. On the other hand, I'm annoyed that this is a thing, because I was literally musing to myself last night that doing a heavily narrative-based series of Rimworld LPs is just about the only thing that could ever get me to stream or make YouTube content, and I was seriously considering whether I wanted to fill that vacancy.

Why not? There's always room for more RimWorld LPs, especially here on the forums. I'd watch it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hold the monopoly of Rimworld LPs here

I should see if I can get my IK star to resemble the Rimworld sheriff badge

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is Star Trek Rimworld a thing? Is it good?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Is Star Trek Rimworld a thing? Is it good?

One of the first things I ever did in Rimworld was look for a Star Trek mod so I could be the away team I always wanted to be. Maybe the mods have gotten better in the years since? It was pre-Royalty when I tried.

Looking over the steam workshop, it looks like the same person who goes around updating the dead mods picked up the mod that I tried, as well as a couple more that add genetics, races, some clothes and weapons, stuff like that. But there seems to be way more Star Wars related stuff.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Man I opened up an ancient danger and it was ALL huge insects, like A LOT of the biggest ones

I really put out a ton of traps too, needed like ten steel ones.

For some reason my crew prefers wandering aimlessly instead of collecting the crash landed supplies for some reason, very strange

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Anyone interested in simplifying loadouts should look at KV Change Dresser. To be fair it's a bit cheaty, a single dresser that can hold all your clothing & armor. It gives you the expected ability of saving custom outfits that then can be applied globally or individually (through a neat little matrix), but also it allows you to specify a battle outfit that will automatically be equipped when a pawn is drafted. No fuss no muss. Also lets you research and build mending attachments at the cost of great amounts of power. One of my favorite mods and there are several more in the KV lineup.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

One of the first things I ever did in Rimworld was look for a Star Trek mod so I could be the away team I always wanted to be. Maybe the mods have gotten better in the years since? It was pre-Royalty when I tried.

Looking over the steam workshop, it looks like the same person who goes around updating the dead mods picked up the mod that I tried, as well as a couple more that add genetics, races, some clothes and weapons, stuff like that. But there seems to be way more Star Wars related stuff.

I remember using a borg race mod that was hilariously overpowered.

edit: this one might be a functional update
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2159306674

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 5, 2024

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Finally got around to trying out DeepRim (Continued), the mod that lets you drill down to new underground maps and have them connect via a semi-automated mineshaft that can conduct power and move resources up and down.

It loving rules.

By default I think you'd just get maps that are like solid stone and metal, but it has built-in support for Biomes! Caverns and CaveBiome, which generate actual terrain and creatures to inhabit it. The former adds a ton of mushroom-related stuff, more than I particularly care for, but CherryPicker solves that. Is it balanced? Oh hell no, but an endless supply of metal and stone is already something you can get with deep drills, and this at least has way more story-generating potential than a drill.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
is there a mod for sky maps that are all venusian layers of different cloud formations or huge trees

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Pete Complete if you want background chatter.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kestral posted:

Finally got around to trying out DeepRim (Continued), the mod that lets you drill down to new underground maps and have them connect via a semi-automated mineshaft that can conduct power and move resources up and down.

It loving rules.

By default I think you'd just get maps that are like solid stone and metal, but it has built-in support for Biomes! Caverns and CaveBiome, which generate actual terrain and creatures to inhabit it. The former adds a ton of mushroom-related stuff, more than I particularly care for, but CherryPicker solves that. Is it balanced? Oh hell no, but an endless supply of metal and stone is already something you can get with deep drills, and this at least has way more story-generating potential than a drill.

I wanna try this out with a dwarf colony. There are both mods to add dwarf genes and a dwarf style for ideology.

Really I didn't realize just how good the possibilities are for genetics and the style system. Genetics lets you make all kinds of races, mythical or sci fi, without downloading a specific mod for that race that often comes with the modder's baggage. Style lets you change how things look and keep it all to vanilla balance.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I've created fantasy races (orc, elf, tiefling, gnome, dwarf) out of vanilla biotech + alpha genes, and then have them populate at different rates in the different factions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been thinking on it and I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a dirtmole other than the one I usually start with. I've got entire civilizations of pigs, wasters, imps, and yttakin trying to bash down my walls, hussars and genies pop up every once in a while when the empire is feeling saucy, hell I see sanguophages more often than I see dirtmoles. Am I just having weird luck or are they just that rare?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Xenotype Spawn Control does this just fine
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2891975564

whether it's vanilla, player-designed or mod added it should show up like this.
e: because biotech adds a bunch of new factions that don't actually replace the base factions, just disables them during map gen, there's plenty of room to just stuff in whatever xenotype in one of the base factions and enable them (e.g. with the base cannibal tribal faction here)

Leal posted:

I wanna try this out with a dwarf colony. There are both mods to add dwarf genes and a dwarf style for ideology.

Really I didn't realize just how good the possibilities are for genetics and the style system. Genetics lets you make all kinds of races, mythical or sci fi, without downloading a specific mod for that race that often comes with the modder's baggage. Style lets you change how things look and keep it all to vanilla balance.

a point in favor for VE: Ideology Memes & Structures / Alpha Memes (they add a ton of styles even if you don't care about the additional memes and whatever else)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Heffer
May 1, 2003

If I lived on the rim, I'd probably want to sleep in my armor TBH.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd wonder why God is named Randy and why he treats me like Jobe

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Danaru posted:

I've been thinking on it and I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a dirtmole other than the one I usually start with. I've got entire civilizations of pigs, wasters, imps, and yttakin trying to bash down my walls, hussars and genies pop up every once in a while when the empire is feeling saucy, hell I see sanguophages more often than I see dirtmoles. Am I just having weird luck or are they just that rare?

Dirtmoles in general are really rare, the only things rarer are Highmates. They're the only base inheritable Xenotype that not only doesn't get a faction with them as a majority, they're pretty rare in the factions they are in.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Heffer posted:

If I lived on the rim, I'd probably want to sleep in my armor TBH.

I wake up in the middle of the night because my nuclear stomach is rumbling. I go to grab a midnight snack and pass my pyromaniac roommate who is burning down our hospital. Toxic fallout starts to settle upon the brim of my human leather cowboy hat. Before I can go back to sleep, a limestone meteorite crashes directly into my bed. I shrug my shoulders and fall asleep in the freezer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also you ate the tray the snack came on

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

and because you didn't eat at a table, you contemplate setting off the entire mortar shell stockpile. Some day, the intrusive thoughts will eventually win.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also you ate the tray the snack came on

Excellent suggestion, I will be making a mod to have trays be a necessary component for all meals and finishing a meal creates a empty tray item which must be washed or thrown away.

Ill be petitioning for it to be merged with the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

When I use corn to make meals I simply envision every meal to be in the form of a taco salad.