Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you board the shuttle too quickly only the person who boards actually evacs. This means all other samples are lost, don’t be that guy

Warmachine posted:

This is my experience. After playing with some goons, I realized that running off solo while 3 pubbies deathmatch against the bugs on some part of the map is a great way to clear objectives and hunt down samples in relative peace. For best results, wear armor with the best speed and stamina stats and rebind your sprint to toggle so you can sprint while watching your radar for enemy locations. Felt really good coming back to the extraction from the opposite direction with like 4 objectives and 3 super samples under my belt.

As others said, play with goons. They'll answer questions and teach you things. And if you're stuck playing with pubbies, that's fine too. You'll get better with time and experience. The only way to get good at something is to start off by sucking at something. If you get kicked, just quickplay again. You won't see those randoms again, and their opinion frankly doesn't matter because much like Bronze-tier League players, they probably also suck and are projecting their poor play on you, rather than learning and getting better.

The only thing that'll beat back the brainworms is experience. I still feel inadequate a lot, but then I look at the scoreboard and see I died the least, or had the best accuracy, or carried all the samples out, or I know I was playing objectives the whole match... etc.

Only 1 alarm can be active at once, so while they are fighting 10 bile titans the scout guy can clear heavy nests without fear of alarms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Grenade launcher feels so good against bugs once you get a feel for sliding grenades under mediums. Very satisfying to one shot the armored ones that way after they hunker down.

Also the one time per mission a grenade bounces straight back into you off the edge of their armor is funny.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Wow gently caress having to have a PSN account to play this. I haven't used mine in I couldn't tell you how long cause the past PS i had was a 3 so when I went to log into it, I had to reset the password. Well I guess my accounts got compromised at some point because all 3 of my email address' answers to the security questions aren't what they should be and support is a bot who sent me to the wrong department the first time and now wont connect me to a live agent again no matter what I try.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I heard that screen lies and you don't actually need a ps account or to link your accounts. Can't confirm though

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Large Testicles posted:

Wow gently caress having to have a PSN account to play this. I haven't used mine in I couldn't tell you how long cause the past PS i had was a 3 so when I went to log into it, I had to reset the password. Well I guess my accounts got compromised at some point because all 3 of my email address' answers to the security questions aren't what they should be and support is a bot who sent me to the wrong department the first time and now wont connect me to a live agent again no matter what I try.

You can just skip the account linking step.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Floppychop posted:

The diligence fills the role of single shot primary just as well without the splash damage that does nothing to the enemy but can kill you if you're forced to fire at point blank.

Just an aside to this, for primaries, the "Explosive" ammo isn't really about splash damage, as the explosions are really too small to matter. It's more about dealing full damage (10x compared to normal guns) to bulbous bug areas, which include really only charger butts and bile/nursery-spitter butts. I agree that right now that's not a great niche but maybe with new enemy types or factions it will be.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Saraiguma posted:

why do those geysers explode like a nuke if you grenade them anyways?
It's combusting all the research samples that have fallen into it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Away all Goats posted:

You can just skip the account linking step.

its kinda weird that basically the first thing the game tells you is you cant play without one

i didnt link one and can still play since, as u said, u can skip it but they almost got a refund from me on that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

didn't they say that being able to skip that is temporary and eventually you'll have to link up to continue playing

Griz
May 21, 2001

I don't even have a playstation account, why the gently caress would they require one for a steam game?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Griz posted:

I don't even have a playstation account, why the gently caress would they require one for a steam game?

Cross platform play with Playstation users, probably.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

just make a psn account on your spam email address, you dont need to go and get your old rear end account from 2009

i mean, i hope it stays optional but i dont see how it would be a deal breaker otherwise. it takes less than 5 minutes to set up and presumably you wont need to touch it ever again

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you board the shuttle too quickly only the person who boards actually evacs. This means all other samples are lost, don’t be that guy

Man, I've had that happen once, I assumed it was just bugged, are you sure that's what's happening?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man, I've had that happen once, I assumed it was just bugged, are you sure that's what's happening?

ive had it happen where no one boarded the ship before it left us. we were all within 5 meters of the ship when it left and it was landed for maybe 3 seconds. very strange but thankfully we didnt have a lot of samples or i would have been more upset than bemused

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Had the mission timer reached zero? The Pelican automatically flies in when that happens and leaves shortly after.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dinosaurs! posted:

Had the mission timer reached zero? The Pelican automatically flies in when that happens and leaves shortly after.

no, we called it in normally

ive also had the pelican come in from a time out and it still sits on the pad for like 20 seconds before leaving

the pilot landed and almost immediately took off. we all joked that he got scared when he saw how hot the landing area was

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Started a match. Threw a grenade in front of a shipping container loot stash. A second later, a chump pubbie wanders over, stands atop the grenade, gets blown to chum, and posts a pass-agg "thx" while waiting to be respawned.

Like. That grenade was there before you were, you salty little tit. What did you think was going to happen?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My favorite deaths are attributed only to 'Impact' and generally mean that you got sent flying across the terrain and cracked your skull open on a rock pillar

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Play posted:

My favorite deaths are attributed only to 'Impact' and generally mean that you got sent flying across the terrain and cracked your skull open on a rock pillar

These are tied with hearing a VOIP of "oh poo poo run" and seeing that red beam right next to you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Retro42 posted:

These are tied with hearing a VOIP of "oh poo poo run" and seeing that red beam right next to you.

Love when my friends are just like "oh poo poo run run!" and nobody knows who they're talking to or what they're telling you to run from so everyone stands still and gets wiped out by a cluster bomb lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

i did it accidently and yeah it is.

Idk why they were 20 feet from extraction, poo poo was bonkers bro. swarms of bots everywhere. wtf are you doing lol.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So does the increased explosive damage to squishy parts only include the charger butt? As in, if you blow off its body armor and expose all its guts, then explosives don't get that bonus (same with bile titan)?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

explosivo posted:

Love when my friends are just like "oh poo poo run run!" and nobody knows who they're talking to or what they're telling you to run from so everyone stands still and gets wiped out by a cluster bomb lol
Having a bad throw or getting the strat knocked out of your hand to absolutely obliterate your entire team always leaves me wheezing.

Griz
May 21, 2001

ErKeL posted:

Having a bad throw or getting the strat knocked out of your hand to absolutely obliterate your entire team always leaves me wheezing.

AH gently caress BAD NADE

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ABRAWA500KGBIYH

Always Be Running Around With A 500 KG Bomb In Your Hand

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Griz posted:

AH gently caress BAD NADE

The comical *doink* of a grenade bouncing off an armor plate back at you. ......oh no

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Flint_Paper posted:

Started a match. Threw a grenade in front of a shipping container loot stash. A second later, a chump pubbie wanders over, stands atop the grenade, gets blown to chum, and posts a pass-agg "thx" while waiting to be respawned.

Like. That grenade was there before you were, you salty little tit. What did you think was going to happen?

People always blame you for killing them, even when they are doing dumbass poo poo. I had a guy kick me because he ran towards an eagle strike after I threw it and died.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Flint_Paper posted:

Makes me wonder why we can't throwback player-thrown grenades like we can with the automaton grenades. Or at least I've never seen the prompt.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For anyone still having trouble getting the game to accept your mic: go into the sound control panel, then the properties for your mic and ensure that "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" on the Advanced tab is unchecked.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want to see a chart for all my causes of death. I bet self kills are tied with stalkers. The winner is either scavangers or some pubbie named “FyckUrM0m”

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

no, we called it in normally

ive also had the pelican come in from a time out and it still sits on the pad for like 20 seconds before leaving

the pilot landed and almost immediately took off. we all joked that he got scared when he saw how hot the landing area was

Ive had the Pelican come in and then just hover because a charger was just on the pad. Wouldn't budge until we finally killed that thing.

the unabonger posted:

People always blame you for killing them, even when they are doing dumbass poo poo. I had a guy kick me because he ran towards an eagle strike after I threw it and died.

I had a level 50 guy on diff 8 see me throw an airstrike on top of 3 bugholes in a huge nest as I was in front of him, and he just keeps hoofin it towards the same bug holes and I see him dunk a grenade in one just as the airstrike comes in and closes the other 2 while reducing him to paste. This was with the slow call in modifier too so I think a lot of people are just really into inefficient martyrdom? Dude just kept sauntering into airbursts and fire patches too, by the end he had 12 deaths toward everyone else's 1 - 3.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

priznat posted:

I want to see a chart for all my causes of death. I bet self kills are tied with stalkers. The winner is either scavangers or some pubbie named “FyckUrM0m”

My deaths get mislabelled a lot. A charger bonks me and it says I killed myself? Which, I guess, I did by not noticing.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/5vD3MiP.mp4

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Hold "x" to drop your backpack, quick! Love that last second attempt to dive away.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
when that happens simply go hug the charger and ensure that supply pod serves democracy

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Ballistic Shield a universally bad stratagem? I've been rocking that and the Defender smg against bots whole day and loving it. It's been said before in this thread and I feel likewise, that just playing with what you like is a valid way to go. I'm still figuring out the game's system but it feels that there's lots of little niches a player can carve out for themselves.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It takes the backpack slot, unfortunately, which can be filled with a jetpack or a lil guy that automatically kills all small-medium bugs around you or good guns.

It's also only good against the bots, which also feature dudes with rockets that, if they hit you, knock the shield (and you) down.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this is why this game rules

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gotta say I'm a fan of the Defender smg (and the machine pistol) since you can blind fire one handed weapons over your shoulder while still running for your life in a panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I love the exploding smoke boobies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2s4KvzYRY