Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Neil Armbong posted:

Nah, he seemed like he would but was too smug of a know it all. Idk if it was the weed that helped him, but Carl Sagan absolutely nailed how to speak about science on a level everyone can understand and not come across condescending.

Oh yeah, 100% agree; I think as it relates to public interest/etc, STEM would be much better off if Carl Sagan had lived longer; there really hasn't been anyone close to him since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

Over in the UK they got Brian Cox and Dara O'Brian doing their science shows. A literal rock musician (who also has a science doctorate) and a professional stand-up comic.

So you're saying we should give ICP and Bill Burr a science show together?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

swickles posted:

Do you mean Brian May? Unless Brian Cox also has a PhD...

Brian Cox posted:

I love you, but you are not serious scientists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

Has to be better than Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Huh, TIL there’s two Brits named Brian Cox in the public eye, one an actor one a physicist, I was only familiar with the former

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(actor)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Thaddius the Large posted:

Huh, TIL there’s two Brits named Brian Cox in the public eye, one an actor one a physicist, I was only familiar with the former

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(actor)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)

This whole time I was thinking of Bears legend Bryan Cox

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp I did not know any of that stuff about Neil DegrasseTyson and that's super disappointing.

I totally agree he's not got the way of speaking or charisma of carl sagan, but nobody does, so that's not a standard I want to hold people to. What I'd liked about Tyson was his willingness to go onto any platform and just explain things, which is a thing tons of scientists are extremely bad at, and we just need a lot more scientists willing and able to give simple or understandable explanations for things in their field

One of the greats at that in writing was Steven Jay Gould, back when people got their science tidbits via newspaper articles and books, and we need people like that for the visual short media like youtube clips. His focus was natural history and evolution.

I've seen Brian Cox a lot on the youtubes lately, mostly people stealing clips of him from other shows and playing them as youtube shorts, and he's OK. He sometimes gives in to the temptation to talk about purely theoretical poo poo (as in, there's no foundation in reality, like "maybe we can someday do warp travel") that physicists are prone to babbling about and I wish he didn't - Sabine Hossenfelder has a lot to say on that subject, and I like her channel, but she goes too far in the opposite direction and a lot of her videos are simply too in depth on the hard physics and math to really understand. Tyson kind of found a middle ground between the two that I usually liked.

Oh well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Dexter Holland, the lead singer of Offspring, has a phd in molecular biology.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Id watch Bill Burr in a science show. I like Bill.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The SC decision isn't exactly going to effect the election considering the only states that would take Trump off the ballot anyway are safe blue ones

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Loved watching him make pies

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoWCMzHWlRk&pp=ygUTQmlsbCBidXJyIG1ha2VzIHBpZQ%3D%3D

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Bill Burr scientifically proving the city of Philadelphia can go gently caress itself

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I nominate Leperflesh as The New Neil DeGrasse Tyson

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

He was good in Mandalorian, although the existence of a Space Boston Planet makes the Death Star seem useful…

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

The SC decision isn't exactly going to effect the election considering the only states that would take Trump off the ballot anyway are safe blue ones

It would theoretically depress turnout in the red enclaves in those states.

NY loving around with the last election is the reason the republicans have the house, for example.

It'd also spell the end for representatives like Lauren Boebert, though she's likely dead in the water anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I might volunteer to be an election judge again in November, and I'm kind of glad Trump is still on the ballot because having to listen to 100 people ask me why they can't vote for Trump would not make my day very fun. Illinois was considering a similar proposal to CO, but had postponed any decisions until the SC decision came through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

harperdc posted:

And it’s a problem short term, because Europe is going to require sourcing and recycled contents minimums for all kinds of batteries by 2030, and that will de facto raise the requirements in the U.S. as well.

Re EV semi trucks: Don’t be surprised when Freightliner launches something with similar specs in the future. And yes, especially with the 300+ mile daily range, replacing semi trucks with EV trucks is a massive way to reduce fuel usage. Those heavy trucks use a ton of diesel.

Longer ranges for heavy trucks is also the one use case worth a drat for hydrogen fuel cells. Turns out diesel fuel is incredibly energy dense, and finding something similar is tough!

[Edit]

They’re having second thoughts publicly now because they made expensive cars at a time when nobody has money to buy even midrange stuff. Never mind EV vs non. And the OEMs will drag their feet until there are legal regulations that say You Cannot Sell Gas/Diesel Vehicles At All. Full stop.

300 mile range is poo poo for shipping. I have a daily trip we call the Portland trip because it comes from Portland, but it actually starts in SLC.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

300 mile range is poo poo for shipping. I have a daily trip we call the Portland trip because it comes from Portland, but it actually starts in SLC.

300 mile range will be plenty for the medium duty guys - like school buses and delivery vans - and even day cabs. Two big questions though - can it recharge enough overnight to be serviceable the next day, and what's the battery's lifespan and replacement cost versus buying a replacement ICE truck?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Local deliveries with a 300 mile range seems doable. Long haul trucking with a 300 mile range does not.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I still think the real trick, and honestly the only way we get to a large majority of people using electric vehicles is when batteries become standardized and able to be hot swapped. Like pull into a station, its get jacked up, old battery removed and new one put in, then drive off. It would have to take as long as a refueling and be about as much cost wise. You could even retrofit gas stations to do it. Problem is that requires buy in from competitors, plus all of them working toward a common goal and technology. Its just a lot easier to say gently caress them kids and roll with it.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

No Butt Stuff posted:

Local deliveries with a 300 mile range seems doable. Long haul trucking with a 300 mile range does not.

what's the usual daily range for long haul trucking?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I still think the real trick, and honestly the only way we get to a large majority of people using electric vehicles is when batteries become standardized and able to be hot swapped. Like pull into a station, its get jacked up, old battery removed and new one put in, then drive off. It would have to take as long as a refueling and be about as much cost wise. You could even retrofit gas stations to do it. Problem is that requires buy in from competitors, plus all of them working toward a common goal and technology. Its just a lot easier to say gently caress them kids and roll with it.

It works well with mopeds, but car batteries are so huge and heavy I don't know how we do the infrastructure for that.

Now for my far less realistic 20 step plan to instead remove most vehicles from major cities via mass transit and increasing density.

Ideally you'd see electric expand to like post office vehicles, school and other city busses. Or you know Taxis in a country where we didn't burn that to the ground.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 4, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

JPrime posted:

what's the usual daily range for long haul trucking?

Probably around 500-600 miles or so on average.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Canned Sunshine posted:

Probably around 500-600 miles or so on average.

Yeah our drivers will do 500 on a longer haul day. Make a whole 4.5mpg on average.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its like the opposite of the Wonka thing:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1764560298688565710?t=XXxaAVyVtEYvny3LyjXbXg&s=19

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Obviously battery technology will change and all that jazz over time, but expanding rail and then having local deliveries as the last leg would be the most economical.

It will never happen though so we will try to make it so we can have 800 trucks all headed in the same direction on batteries instead.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Boy it’d be great to go back in time and not rip out however million miles of railroad track this country used to have.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Boy it’d be great to go back in time and not rip out however million miles of railroad track this country used to have.

Besides Burnin' Sherman, did we actually rip out railroad track? I just assumed that we're using a lot of the original alignments, just replaced over time, and the lines that that aren't in use were just abandoned?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Canned Sunshine posted:

Besides Burnin' Sherman, did we actually rip out railroad track? I just assumed that we're using a lot of the original alignments, just replaced over time, and the lines that that aren't in use were just abandoned?

Oh yeah, all over the place. Land reclaimed to be built on, or hell just biking / walking paths in more affluent areas.

For example, when i bought my house in 2010, a mile and a half chunk of this path was most of my walk to work:

https://brucefreemanrailtrail.org/

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Anyway, be transported back to high school:

https://twitter.com/stonersvilla/status/1763953497366516141

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pretty sure I saw people doing this at a party a few weeks ago, but also, Florida Men gonna Florida.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

high school? I'm in California, son!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

God drat haven’t thought about the ol water bottle bong in a couple decades lmao

No Butt Stuff posted:

Obviously battery technology will change and all that jazz over time, but expanding rail and then having local deliveries as the last leg would be the most economical.

It will never happen though so we will try to make it so we can have 800 trucks all headed in the same direction on batteries instead.

A while back some agency here in CO published an assessment of how long it would take to build light rail from Fort Collins down to Denver. It was like 75 years aka “not happening, ever, gently caress you for even asking”

Reasonable rail service was one of the biggest things I liked about the Boston area. People bitch about the T and for good reason but at least it exists. Being able to get all over the city and a surprisingly large swathe of suburbia without a car was pretty dope. Hell you could take Amtrak all the way to Maine.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
We always did the cutoff 2 liter bottle in a bucket of water

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/bnonews/status/1764781238550680002?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

I guess there are people who fall for these

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

This is how a lot of rail freight works? It’s actually really inefficient via when we used to have rail going straight to where freight was needed.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

It’s nice having reached the point in my life where I see stuff like that and think “oh cool, the opportunity to be paralyzed on my couch for 6 hours reliving every last personal anxiety and moment of existential dread”

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

trevorreznik posted:

This whole time I was thinking of Bears legend Bryan Cox

BEARS legend? Lmao

If you’re a bears poster I apologize for the obvious joke

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Rectal Placenta posted:

We always did the cutoff 2 liter bottle in a bucket of water

Yeah with a 9mm socket melted into the cap as the bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

This dude definitely hosed the popcorn bucket.