Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
It may also be that they are just not very interested in revisiting something that they have already finished as far as they are concerned. Been there, done that, rather work on something new, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're also from the generation of gamers who had to figure stuff out and fill in the blanks, so there's a bit of a "you kids can do the same" going on.

It's frustrating because a cleaned up CoC would easily dunk on every other published WW2 game out there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m in the ‘I don’t really like CoC’ minority ITT, but a second edition could probably sway me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's also a matter of output. It's a tiny operation of doing mostly everthing alone. The Blitzkrieg book took ages to come out, and "the Pacific book will be out next year" has been a running joke since before the pandemic if I remember correctly. It might actually come out this year though! So I can completely see that a revision is not something he looks forward to.

Also, some of the things that people complain about and would like to have fixed in a revision are not things that Rich things to fully agree on needing revisions. But I fully agree, CoC is probably the ruleset that has the highest correlation of both needing and deserving a second edition. Just handing off the rulebook, including the blitzkrieg additions, the FAQ and Rich's facebook posting history to a third party and asking them to edit it would be great.

Also, let someone else rewrite the scenarios when you're at it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

StashAugustine posted:

I'm trying not to sound pejorative but it feels like it's written as guidelines for a reenactment rather than rules for a game, which is just absolutely not my style at all. Like I'm willing to put up with some of the asymmetric setups and dice rolls simulating the chaos of command, but I would like the rules to actually tell me how to play the game
I feel like this is a little bit off the mark, because I'm basically an idiot and I figured it out. The main problem with the rulebook as I see it is that it's not always clear in its use of terminology and it doesn't do a great job of handling some of the common "corner cases" that can pop up in games (like how do you handle allocating hits if only leaders are left in a unit). Most of the answers to these questions make perfect sense, but they're not always called out in the rulebook.

StashAugustine posted:

Giving Soviet commissars a points cost but no actual rules text would probably be the best mechanical representation of them if it was intentional
This is another case where they punted from the main rulebook off to the campaign scenarios, largely because the actual function of commissars changed significantly over the course of the war. So whereas in the early war he's essentially the literate dude in the unit who helps you write letters home (and censors them to make sure you're not revealing operational details), in Stalingrad under Stalin's "not one step backward," edict the function of the commissar was a far different beast. Unfortunately it doesn't say that in the main rulebook (though it is explained in the FAQ).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ilor posted:

I feel like this is a little bit off the mark, because I'm basically an idiot and I figured it out. The main problem with the rulebook as I see it is that it's not always clear in its use of terminology and it doesn't do a great job of handling some of the common "corner cases" that can pop up in games (like how do you handle allocating hits if only leaders are left in a unit). Most of the answers to these questions make perfect sense, but they're not always called out in the rulebook.

Oh yeah to be clear I think the general flow of the game is pretty well explained, there's just a lot of little odd cases that aren't explained well if at all. I guess a lot of this is called out in the FAQ at least- I don't think the rulebook ever actually defines "the rear" of an infantry unit

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's one of those things where you're just supposed to know that the front is the direction of expected advance, and the rear is wherever you came from.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Slight shift in topic from WW2, but was there any recorded skirmish action during the Fifth Coalition/Danube campaign? I have all these cool French, Austrian, and German minor models and realistically will never have enough painted for a mass battle, but when people think Napoleonic skirmish, the main thing suggested is Peninsular war.

Also there's no official 1809 Austria list for Sharp Practice which is annoying 😩

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

StashAugustine posted:

Oh yeah to be clear I think the general flow of the game is pretty well explained, there's just a lot of little odd cases that aren't explained well if at all. I guess a lot of this is called out in the FAQ at least- I don't think the rulebook ever actually defines "the rear" of an infantry unit

I am not a CoC superfan by any means but I am trying to understand this...what do you want the book to say to define the rear of a unit?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Slight shift in topic from WW2, but was there any recorded skirmish action during the Fifth Coalition/Danube campaign? I have all these cool French, Austrian, and German minor models and realistically will never have enough painted for a mass battle, but when people think Napoleonic skirmish, the main thing suggested is Peninsular war.

Also there's no official 1809 Austria list for Sharp Practice which is annoying 😩

Lots of them. A lot of the campaign along the Danube was the French army pushing forwards, seeking big decisive engagements, and the Austrians retreating and trying to avoid them where they could, pretty much until after Vienna was taken. It's after that you get the huge battles (Aspern Essling, Wagram). So there was a lot of skirmishing as the outskirts of each army kept meeting up, as well as smaller stuff like half a company of voltigeurs crossing the Danube by boat to scout, sabotage or do other small scale skirmish stuff.

On top of that you have the entire Tyrol rebellion with lots of smaller scale combat, as well as the whole theatre to the north where Duchy of Warsaw was involved. You also have the entire Italian part of the campaign that is often overlooked, and then there are the even less obvious parts outside the main theatres, such as the retreat into Hungary.

The reading suggestion here is, as always for 1809, Thunder on the Danube. If you like history and that series don't get you hyped about hot French-on-Kaiserlich action in 1809, I'm not sure what would. I immediately come to think of the depictions in the books of how the French sent out small parties of skirmishers across the Danube to find suitable pontoon positions once they took Vienna and the bridges were destroyed, but there are tons of times a battalion or two ran into enemies and you even get maps and stuff for it.

Basically the reason why people suggest Peninsular War is the Brittish Tinted Glasses Syndrome, and as Brits they can't come to terms with the Peninsular War not being the only place where skirmishes happened in the Napoleonic WArs. Or where battles were fought in other places in the Napoleonic Wars at all (except 100 Days). Ignore them and do cool skirmish battles across the Alps, like God intended.

As for an 1809 Austrian list, they were in the middle of restructuring the entire army, but got kind of bogged down. I'm pretty sure you're safe with going with an earlier army list. The big restructurings, iirc, were still on a higher tactical and strategic level than what would impact a skirmish game. The unit types remained the same, etc.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 13, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ilor posted:

This is another case where they punted from the main rulebook off to the campaign scenarios, largely because the actual function of commissars changed significantly over the course of the war. So whereas in the early war he's essentially the literate dude in the unit who helps you write letters home (and censors them to make sure you're not revealing operational details), in Stalingrad under Stalin's "not one step backward," edict the function of the commissar was a far different beast. Unfortunately it doesn't say that in the main rulebook (though it is explained in the FAQ).

Except not really.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

3 Action Economist posted:

Except not really.

I mean, this is a direct quote from the CoC FAQ:

"Commissars. The role of the Commissar changed throughout the war and as such the role is not defined in the main rules. However, various interpretations of the Commissars role have been outlined on a number of Army lists and Pint Sized Campaigns. Full and complete details will be covered in the handbooks which will cover the entire war."

And as an example of this, IIRC the Operation Citadel PSC treats commissars as essentially morale officers; they are an extra man in whatever squad they are attached to and count as two men for the purposes of pinning/breaking. I forget how they're handled in the Winter War campaign book.

As for that last bit, I'm still waiting for handbooks to cover the entire war. They're about to release their second (the Far East handbook), so I'm not going to hold my breath.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5n2khJdEus

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Pretty excited about that. GdA 1 got rave reviews from all the folks whose opinions I trust, and it sounds like GdA 2 tightens up a lot of the stuff that people had issues with (command level, skirmishers, etc.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ilor posted:

I mean, this is a direct quote from the CoC FAQ:

"Commissars. The role of the Commissar changed throughout the war and as such the role is not defined in the main rules. However, various interpretations of the Commissars role have been outlined on a number of Army lists and Pint Sized Campaigns. Full and complete details will be covered in the handbooks which will cover the entire war."

And as an example of this, IIRC the Operation Citadel PSC treats commissars as essentially morale officers; they are an extra man in whatever squad they are attached to and count as two men for the purposes of pinning/breaking. I forget how they're handled in the Winter War campaign book.

As for that last bit, I'm still waiting for handbooks to cover the entire war. They're about to release their second (the Far East handbook), so I'm not going to hold my breath.

I understand it's in the game that way, I'm saying that wasn't reality. We've had this discussion many times in this thread, though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I must have missed it then. The only discussion about commissars I remember in this thread was debunking the "shoot every man who retreats" myth that has lodged itself in the popular wargaming psyche because of 40K.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ilor posted:

I must have missed it then. The only discussion about commissars I remember in this thread was debunking the "shoot every man who retreats" myth that has lodged itself in the popular wargaming psyche because of 40K.

It was lodged in the wargaming psyche long before Warhammer 40,000. I'd heard that old canard before I even knew what WH40k was. It's just kind of ingrained in the popular consciousness after nearly fifty years of corrupted historiography.

Endman posted:

I’m in the ‘I don’t really like CoC’ minority ITT, but a second edition could probably sway me.

I was going to say "...what are you talking about, it's on it's seventh!?" before I realised which thread this was. :shobon:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Absolutely lolling at the timing of the "it's a small company! they don't want to do a second edition!" discussion in this thread and then this gets rolled out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Absolutely lolling at the timing of the "it's a small company! they don't want to do a second edition!" discussion in this thread and then this gets rolled out.

If you mean GdA2 it's not developed by the lardies, just printed by them. GdA is developed by Dave Brown who also did General de Brigade along with a bunch of other stuff.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Very Excited, good excuse to start painting up Austrians again.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Friends want to play through some of Meuse-Argonne.

Anyone know what the organization and equipment was like for the American side?

Googling says large division with organic tanks and artillery, but I can't find much for equipment save the tank and artillery side of things.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crosspostin'

Looks like well known historical sculptors 3dBreed are releasing a 28mm specific line of WWII figures. Looks much better than their old stuff scaled up. $40 for a full US & German army ain't bad.

http://kck.st/3us4Tud

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm going to play Blucher for the first time this coming week. Anything I should be aware of? Any classic beginner mistakes I might not know about? Neither of us have played it before, but we have the rules, cards, and really want to give it a go. I'm going to see if I can't find some batreps on youtube or something like that.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm going to play Blucher for the first time this coming week. Anything I should be aware of? Any classic beginner mistakes I might not know about? Neither of us have played it before, but we have the rules, cards, and really want to give it a go. I'm going to see if I can't find some batreps on youtube or something like that.

I did the map for these guys, playing Leipzig with Blucher

https://www.youtube.com/live/fzMUDyPpaNs?si=7CVo7D7iEkTOs5MT

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I did the map for these guys, playing Leipzig with Blucher

https://www.youtube.com/live/fzMUDyPpaNs?si=7CVo7D7iEkTOs5MT

Thanks for this, also great job, that map is gorgeous.

edit: this is perfect, there is a brand new player in the game and they are explaining what will surprise him.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 19, 2024

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I know this isn't SA mart but you guys would probably be the only ones who care, selling my 6mm stuff.

Dark Age Viking & Normans: https://ibb.co/album/wZ6gdN Sold

Cold War British: https://ibb.co/album/7v1kyN

Cold War Soviets: https://ibb.co/album/TMhVGX

PM if in the US and interested, mods yell at me if you want me to move post.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 27, 2024

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I know this isn't SA mart but you guys would probably be the only ones who care, selling my 6mm stuff.

Dark Age Viking & Normans: https://ibb.co/album/wZ6gdN

Cold War British: https://ibb.co/album/7v1kyN

Cold War Soviets: https://ibb.co/album/TMhVGX

PM if in the US and interested, mods yell at me if you want me to move post.

Weird, I just encountered this on ebay right before coming here.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I was a dipshit and listed it there before thinking of checking in the thread.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I realized that I actually really like grid based systems. I'm aware of:

To the Strongest for ancients through 1500
For King and Parliament for ECW
Square Bashing for WW1
I guess Rommel for WW2 but that seems more grand tactical than single battlefield?

Is there anything else out there?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mythic Commander by Modiphius is a fantasy game, but it's basically a grid based wargame that comes with the rulebook and maps packaged with four armies worth of tokens to use. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I can't imagine it'd be difficult to build armies that ignore the fantastic elements and just use it as "generic midievals".

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Peter Pig also does PBI (poor bloody infantry) which is gridded platoon scale WWII

TtS! also has a fantasy hack called M2: Magic & Monsters that's pretty good.

If you want to stretch the genre there's also Fire at Sea which is naval WWII.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have been tempted by PBI a few times. Maybe I should just give in and buy some.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I realized that I actually really like grid based systems. I'm aware of:

To the Strongest for ancients through 1500
For King and Parliament for ECW
Square Bashing for WW1
I guess Rommel for WW2 but that seems more grand tactical than single battlefield?

Is there anything else out there?

The entire Commands & Colours system.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Command_and_Colors_system

I have the samurai set but never got around to test it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
C&C is good. I got the AWI version Tricorne during the holidays and I liked it so much I'm in the middle of a project doing miniatures to replace the blocks. Fighting the grog urge to go all in on full hex terrain too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

C&C is good. I got the AWI version Tricorne during the holidays and I liked it so much I'm in the middle of a project doing miniatures to replace the blocks. Fighting the grog urge to go all in on full hex terrain too.

Don't tell me this, I'm already desperately trying to talk myself out of doing a 28mm AWI army

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Don't tell me this, I'm already desperately trying to talk myself out of doing a 28mm AWI army

My long term plan with my 6mm samurai is to use them for C&C. I have roughly enough for two armies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Starting to plan out a Jomsvikign Saga force based on their appearance in Vinland Saga. Anyone got recommendations for a range in metal that has plenty of unarmored heavy axe guys and as many capes as possible?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have a good source for 15mm medieval figures in the US? I have a 3D printer so I have some Dark Age and medieval stuff for it already, but I'd like to check out tiny pewter dudes too for things like Lion Rampant.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Starting to plan out a Jomsvikign Saga force based on their appearance in Vinland Saga. Anyone got recommendations for a range in metal that has plenty of unarmored heavy axe guys and as many capes as possible?

How soon do you want them? I think Footsore's upcoming new set of vikings look to be some of the best vikings I've seen:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tMjo_gwlcCyXSLs

You can find more previews on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FootsoreMiniatures?locale=et_EE

I might have to pick some up to bolster my existing viking force, even if I never realistically get around to play Viking era Saga these days. The range will include berzerkers, and I don't have any yet, so that's an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Cthulu Carl posted:

Anyone have a good source for 15mm medieval figures in the US? I have a 3D printer so I have some Dark Age and medieval stuff for it already, but I'd like to check out tiny pewter dudes too for things like Lion Rampant.

As always Henry Turner has you covered for 3d printing, but his stuff can look a little wonky scaled up to 15mm without any tweaks.
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/henryturner/collection/6-15mm-medieval