Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
they made the right call there. using sha256 wouldn't suddenly turn git into an immutable and authenticated log. software supply chain is a vastly harder problem than that.

edit :synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...nese-gpu-makers

lol that was quick, but also how the hell do they imagine they're gonna enforce that?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

zero knowledge posted:

they made the right call there. using sha256 wouldn't suddenly turn git into an immutable and authenticated log. software supply chain is a vastly harder problem than that.

yeah, sha1 isn’t used for anything but generating the hash of a particular commit yeah?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it's just a commit id

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Indeed. Then who the gently caress cares lmfao.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

zero knowledge posted:

edit :synpa:

that's cool but no one said anything about sha256. I said "crypto agility" - i.e., being able to swap it out easily for something else.

because all hashes are terrible in their own way

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Visions of Valerie posted:

that's cool but no one said anything about sha256. I said "crypto agility" - i.e., being able to swap it out easily for something else.

because all hashes are terrible in their own way

what would be the use case for swapping sha1 for something else?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

having a git repo that breaks everyone elses workflow, thus teaching them they are wrong , duh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

presumably constructing a colliding commit would break if not git itself then just about every tool and every way of interacting with commits anyone knows. i doubt there's a reason to do it for gain, but someone can just troll you.

but git supports other hash functions in perfectly compatible ways, and i don't see the migration being a huge hurry.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

FlapYoJacks posted:

the one being discussed is that people do use commit ids as unique identifiers, so when they cease to be unique...

the other case I could see is if there were a much faster hash one wanted to use for perf reasons or something

e: John Gilmore warning about it in 2005 https://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2017-February/031623.html

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 4, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Visions of Valerie posted:

the one being discussed is that people do use commit ids as unique identifiers, so when they cease to be unique...

Has this ever happened before?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

git supports sha256 now, but i'm sure nobody wil bother moving to it until it's as broken as sha1 today

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

FlapYoJacks posted:

Has this ever happened before?

Yeah this.

Next time a build breaks I'll blame it on git and their lovely sha1 hashes. Also there really slow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

linus should've gone with sequentially-numbered identifiers like cvs and svn, but he didn't and now we're in this mess

they also have the advantage that you can easily tell if something went in before something else by just glancing at it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dag-onnit

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

linus should've gone with sequentially-numbered identifiers like cvs and svn, but he didn't and now we're in this mess

they also have the advantage that you can easily tell if something went in before something else by just glancing at it

Sequential numbering doesn't work when your distributed. Luckily commits aren't sorted by their hash but by timestamp. Timestamps are nice if you want to put things in temporal order

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xf86enodev posted:

Sequential numbering doesn't work when your distributed. Luckily commits aren't sorted by their hash but by timestamp. Timestamps are nice if you want to put things in temporal order
for being distributed, it's impressive how many projects end up having a repo of record (hint: it's all of them)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the repo of record also isn't publicly writable so what's the issue?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Tbh., I'd appreciate if everyone who posts sassy bullshit at me spent this much effort.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
git is blockchain for source code

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

surprised there hasn't been a "source control...but with blockchain!" project at any point tbh
unless there has been and i just completely missed it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

oh no blimp issue posted:

surprised there hasn't been a "source control...but with blockchain!" project at any point tbh
unless there has been and i just completely missed it

git is literally based on merkle trees which are also a foundational technology in most "blockchains", hence kazinsal's joke

the correct way of looking at this is merkle trees were invented before either git or bitcoin, git is just an actually useful application of them, and they don't really have all that much in common other than using the same kind of data structure. this, of course, has not stopped coiners from trying to claim git as something related to cryptocurrency/blockchain in some handwavey way

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
look man blockchain tech isn’t just going to justify itself ok

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

git is literally based on merkle trees which are also a foundational technology in most "blockchains", hence kazinsal's joke

the correct way of looking at this is merkle trees were invented before either git or bitcoin, git is just an actually useful application of them, and they don't really have all that much in common other than using the same kind of data structure. this, of course, has not stopped coiners from trying to claim git as something related to cryptocurrency/blockchain in some handwavey way
zfs is another useful application of merkel trees
i assume this means it must be technically possible to add a git repo as a new dataset type

i'm glad the scam-artists haven't latched onto zfs, though

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

so the GNOME developers have been hard at work breaking third party applications by deleting cursors from the default cursor theme but they went so far as to break a bunch of GNOME software and crash GNOME shell itself, lol

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1064016 posted:

Package: adwaita-icon-theme
Version: 46~beta-1
Severity: important
Tags: upstream
Control: affects -1 firefox firefox-esr chromium libsdl2-2.0-0
Forwarded: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/-/issues/278

adwaita-icon-theme 46~beta removed a lot of symlinks representing legacy
X11 cursor names, such as left_ptr, hand2 and xterm.

Instead, it exclusively contains cursor names corresponding to the CSS
cursor list: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui/#cursor
which is the same as the freedesktop.org cursor spec, minus the proposed
"up-arrow" which is in neither CSS nor Adwaita:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/cursor-spec/

Unfortunately, lots of applications expect/assume that the legacy X11
cursor names will exist, and use them in preference to the CSS names.
Depending on the application, this can result in it either falling
back to the default arrow, or a nasty-looking pixelated X11 cursor,
or an empty rectangle.

A particularly visible symptom for this is that in affected applications,
the cursor does not change from its default shape to an I-beam when
hovering over selectable text, and does not change to a pointing finger
when hovering over a hyperlink.

For the cursors that have a corresponding entry in the legacy
X11 vocabulary and the CSS vocabulary, it's very easy to provide
backwards-compat by creating symlinks, for example left_ptr -> default,
hand2 -> pointer, xterm -> text. If upstream are not going to do this,
then I think it would be pragmatic for Debian and other distros to do it.

I am *not* intending to create or ship cursors that existed in the X11
cursor vocabulary but do not exist in the CSS vocabulary, some of which
are frankly baffling (I'm pretty sure we don't actually need boat,
pirate or umbrella, for example). Applications wanting those cursors
can either use unthemed X11 cursors or ship their own.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/-/issues/278 posted:

With the removal of "legacy" X11 cursors (via #251 (closed), 74e9b794), we opened a can of worms with incompatibilities everywhere.

• The Adwaita cursor theme does not provide the cursors typically expected by X11 apps, window managers and so on, yet at first glance looks just like doing so (by providing a cursor.index and cursors director inside an icon theme)

• A lot of GNOME software needed or still needs to be adjusted to this change, including Mutter and multiple versions of GTK.

• A lot of third party software needed or still needs to be adjusted to this change, including Firefox, Chrome (and therefor Electron apps), LibreOffice, OpenJDK, ... The list is probably long and the break in compatibility is huge due to the default pointer cursor affected.

• The changes in GNOME software likely make some of them incompatible with existing X11 cursor themes (including the "official" default themes). For example, mutter and gnome-shell now don't show the default pointer cursor of the Whiteglass cursor theme from xcursor-themes when it is configured for use (and instead fallback to the Adwaita cursor).

All of this seems very unnecessary. I totally go with the intention to migrate to a new cursor naming scheme, but providing legacy compatibility via symlinks would have been easy and without any downsides. I now run my system with a symlink left_ptr -> default, which fixes most of the issues with third-party apps when using Adwaita cursor theme. I think this should be the default, and we probably should also add a bunch of other symlinks for relevant/popular "legacy" cursor names.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/-/merge_requests/65 posted:

build: Reinstate symlinks from X11 cursor names to closest CSS names

Before commit 74e9b794 "cursors: only use gtk/css names", each cursor
was available under several names: the traditional/legacy X11 cursor
font name (which was treated as canonical), the CSS/freedesktop.org name
if any, and various other traditional/legacy names.

Eliminating the non-CSS cursors such as dotbox doesn't mean we can't
still provide the traditional X11 cursor font names as aliases for the
CSS/freedesktop.org names (which are now treated as canonical). This
considerably improves interoperability with non-GTK toolkits and
applications, some of which have historically looked up cursors by their
X11 names: for example, Firefox before 123 and SDL before 2.30.1
did this.

The non-cursor-font-based aliases that were present in Adwaita 45
(additional traditional/legacy names possibly originating from
Qt such as size_fdiag, and hash-based libXcursor names such as
c7088f0f3e6c8088236ef8e1e3e70000) have been excluded here, as requested
by Jakub Steiner in !65 (merged).

Fixes: 74e9b794 "cursors: only use gtk/css names"
Resolves: #278 (closed)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sounds to me like somebody caught a regression in the beta and it was promptly fixed unless i'm missing something

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

sure, yeah, the users of downstream distros caught the regression and upstream reluctantly reverted it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's the height of hubris to assume that decades long convention can just be upended like that. Of course poo poo is going to immediately break across the entire ecosystem.

If you did this in the kernel, people would rightfully yell at you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
another reason I switched from gnome to kde. poo poo like that would have never been merged in the first place with KDE lmfao.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
wtf, gnome uses CSS to render the goddamn cursor, too? why isn't it just a svg or some poo poo?!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i switched from gnome to kde because the default gnome shell is absolute loving trash for babies, but lmao @ requiring an entire css rendering engine just for the loving cursor

goddamn gnome is terrible. why is it still the default for most distros?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
css AND JavaScript. :eng101:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

everytime this thread talks about window managers i check if xfce is on wayland yet

still not there, wish i was c-brained/graphicspilled enough to contribute

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

css AND JavaScript. :eng101:

like, as mentioned in cjs a bunch of times, svg supports javascript and css too. you can stuff any html you want in there, technically

but you don't need to support those features. CSS definitely requires its own rendering engine and it also uses javascript? that's ridiculous (obviously you'd need a javascript engine too, then)

i know QT6 supports all of that crap too and KDE uses it, but i don't think it's required?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Share Bear posted:

everytime this thread talks about window managers i check if xfce is on wayland yet

it's not, and afaik they haven't made much progress towards moving to it

but tbh KDE is more flexible and doesn't require as many resources as you'd think. just make the switch, unless you're seriously resource-constrained you'll probably be happier for it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Share Bear posted:

MATE is getting there, slowly but surely

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i'm not sure it's the same CSS?

i'm having trouble finding the freedesktop cursor spec that all these bug reports refer to, the only thing i've found is a random table on the freedesktop wiki

surely this isn't the actual spec?

also i had a look at these adwaita cursor files on disk, apparently the freedesktop cursor spec isn't even its own format, it looks like they're still using the X11 Xcursor file format. i guess they probably take the SVG original, convert it to a PNG and run it through xcursorgen or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

i'm not sure it's the same CSS?

i'm having trouble finding the freedesktop cursor spec that all these bug reports refer to, the only thing i've found is a random table on the freedesktop wiki

surely this isn't the actual spec?

also i had a look at these adwaita cursor files on disk, apparently the freedesktop cursor spec isn't even its own format, it looks like they're still using the X11 Xcursor file format. i guess they probably take the SVG original, convert it to a PNG and run it through xcursorgen or something

i wouldn't be surprised if that weren't so out of date as to be useless. the page history says it was last updated 11 years ago, and gnome/gtk has certainly changed a lot since then

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

it's not, and afaik they haven't made much progress towards moving to it

but tbh KDE is more flexible and doesn't require as many resources as you'd think. just make the switch, unless you're seriously resource-constrained you'll probably be happier for it

oh i have cause its correct in 2024.

i know you can make kde act like xfce, but i want xfce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't blame you, i like xfce a lot too. but it's very limited compared to kde and gtk is an absolute mess right now

like, i don't think it even supports gtk4 yet, does it? afaik it's still using gtk3, which even the gtk people don't use anymore