Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I thought the McElroy clan stopped having any direct involvement with the Facbook fan groups after there was a big blowup where some of their ultra progressive fan base started demanding that Still Buffering cover a some weighty bummer topics and Sydnee said "no, it's not that kind of show" and all hell broke loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
On the topic of Bits, I do think that the Wishes to Fungalore is the closest they've come to recapturing The Final Yahoo, even if people are and will continue to try too hard to make funny ones on purpose.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Entropic posted:

I thought the McElroy clan stopped having any direct involvement with the Facbook fan groups after there was a big blowup where some of their ultra progressive fan base started demanding that Still Buffering cover a some weighty bummer topics and Sydnee said "no, it's not that kind of show" and all hell broke loose

Their Facebook group had meltdowns over tons of stupid poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

On the topic of Bits, I do think that the Wishes to Fungalore is the closest they've come to recapturing The Final Yahoo, even if people are and will continue to try too hard to make funny ones on purpose.

it managed to transmogrify the sound bath into something that's actually good, it's great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Entropic posted:

it managed to transmogrify the sound bath into something that's actually good, it's great.

Yeah I'm impressed it's all come together

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

C-Euro posted:

I literally just came to the thread to post this after finishing the latest episode :v:

It's a great outro bit. Though I'm already sad it'll only last this year.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
We haven't had a new animatic in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCWhhtbPsM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Their Facebook group had meltdowns over tons of stupid poo poo.

Was it “game recognize game” or “climbing that ladder” that had the big falling out with them after becoming important in the fan community?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Around the survivors a perimeter create

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

But honestly it's loving infuriating that Travis made one of the best mbmbam bits in years

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

trilobite terror posted:

Was it “game recognize game” or “climbing that ladder” that had the big falling out with them after becoming important in the fan community?

Game recognized game.

The situation was... a typical Max Fun Community situation. It was good they cut ties, Internet people can be unreasonable when their blood is up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How did people get upset about that? :psyduck:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Glass shark love da fat kid...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
All accents are racist all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0Ubck0IRA

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Car Boys was a documentary

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alaois posted:

Glass shark love da fat kid...

And he was cancelled for it

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Exactly. It's why Island Boy has been playing the role of Justin McElroy ever since

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sankis posted:

Exactly. It's why Island Boy has been playing the role of Justin McElroy ever since

He just had a case of the mondays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Internet people can be unreasonable when their blood is up.

lol was that intentional?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

trilobite terror posted:

lol was that intentional?

Was what intentional?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

TAZ vs Dracula is good btw

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Watched The Apple for the first time last night and went back this morning to re-listen to the Flophouse episode on it featuring Travis. Lol, lmao even

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Highlight of this week's TAZ:

Clint McElroy: "Alright, I'm done dicking around."

And by god, he was.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shinjobi posted:

And by god, he was.

:bahgawd:

In wrestling terms that's called a reverse!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man, playing BG3 really upped their understanding of D&D 5e significantly

I don't think they've ever uttered the word "disengage" in any prior campaign

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, I hope that BG3 lets some of these DnD casts realize that combat can be fun.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

Man, playing BG3 really upped their understanding of D&D 5e significantly

I don't think they've ever uttered the word "disengage" in any prior campaign

I haven't played a ton of D&D but across several groups I've never heard anyone suggest disengaging from combat.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't played a ton of D&D but across several groups I've never heard anyone suggest disengaging from combat.

I've definitely heard rogues use cunning actions to disengage at the very least without getting exploded by an opportunity attack

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've definitely heard rogues use cunning actions to disengage at the very least without getting exploded by an opportunity attack

Yeah, and monks can use step of the wind to disengage or dash as a bonus action for a ki point. If you don't mind not using flurry of blows, it's pretty sick

TakenForGranite
Jan 13, 2015
If I had to guess, it's probably because most actual plays these days are podcasts that use theater of the mind, so they're not really accounting often for positioning in a fight in the same way you'd care about it in a game with minis or tokens.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm fighting Cazador right now and I still haven't fully wrapped my head around the crunchier aspects of D&D combat

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So now that it’s been done and gone for a bit, how do we feel about Steeplechase? I think Justin is a great “session” DM but isn’t great at an overarching story/world. SC was great on goods but the story felt like it was among the weaker of the ones they have done.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Warbird posted:

So now that it’s been done and gone for a bit, how do we feel about Steeplechase? I think Justin is a great “session” DM but isn’t great at an overarching story/world. SC was great on goods but the story felt like it was among the weaker of the ones they have done.

I liked HOW he DMd (he was good at shutting down blind avenues and I really liked the recurring character of Justin to signify "don't worry too much about this guy") and the idea of how the world worked was fun, the actual story felt like it fell to bits once Kenshall started getting involved

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Warbird posted:

I thought it was excellent but had a bit of a sophomore slump while they were trying to figure out the Kenschel stuff. But it ended well, super funny, character development felt organic. Emmerich's character development being that he goes from timid dweeb to believing he's basically a god was really funny.

The pacing was overall good, which I think is key. Justin mostly kept them moving from scene to scene and adventure to adventure without giving things too much time to get baggy or lose steam.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I think Justin overall kept it light and digestible. It feels like Griffin took some inspiration to put into Dracula.

I also cherish any scene where the gang talks to Pierre.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 3, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I said it somewhere before but the players kept treating BitD like 5e

BitD is a game about just squeaking by, if that, and most of their plans seemed all-or-nothing

GMing was solid

endgame kind of guy away from everybody and I'm tired of them saving the world

I'd rate it a mixed success :razz:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Warbird posted:

I think it's among the best stuff they've ever done. It peaked at Shlabethaney, but so did human civilization, so :shrug:

I think, overall, if New Kidadelphia had been a little shorter and the actual conclusion had played out about the same, but at Dentonics Corporate HQ, or something, it would have stuck the landing better.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
For me, Steeplechase is kind of the inverse of Graduation: fun set pieces and plot (for the most part), DMing generally good to great, but I had trouble engaging with the PCs. I just didn't find any of them particularly interesting. Whereas Graduation was generally bad, but I thought the PCs were really fun and funny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Neorxenawang posted:

For me, Steeplechase is kind of the inverse of Graduation: fun set pieces and plot (for the most part), DMing generally good to great, but I had trouble engaging with the PCs. I just didn't find any of them particularly interesting. Whereas Graduation was generally bad, but I thought the PCs were really fun and funny.

It felt like they were going really hard on "no backstories, anything interesting about the PCs develops in play" which I believe is something they wanted to do post-Graduation and also something that BITD recommends to some extent, although not as much as they did it. It worked better for some than for others. Maybe if BITD's injuries/consequence stuff had been more in play, we'd have seen more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
"the Bros tell you about an internet thing that anyone who's even vaguely online already knows about and got tired of a week ago" is one of the worst kinds of MBMBAM bits.