Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

HallelujahLee posted:

this is a dumb slapfight especially for this thread

yeah you're right i'm just in a foul mood over this whole mess in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the boys had a big day out and a whole bunch of israelis got murdered, whatever the truth was beyond that got buried in the same grave.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I can't believe someone lied to me on the internet

Morbus
May 18, 2004

to whomever made whatever missiles the german navy is using, god bless u

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Morbus posted:

to whomever made whatever missiles the german navy is using, god bless u

thank you, US defense contractors.

the SM-2 has been in service since 1979. so chances are good they didn’t clean the dust out of the fuel injectors.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think VIL is mostly right but man the complete shitshow of the NYT reporting has honestly pushed me closer to thinking it literally didn't happen, just given how loving incompetent they were

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

thank you, US defense contractors.

the SM-2 has been in service since 1979. so chances are good they didn’t clean the dust out of the fuel injectors.

I would imagine there's no need to because missiles that small are all solid propellant, no?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V. Illych L. posted:

there's no virtue in picking the worst case to try to make. it's just stupid.

I think you're right in an honest debate kind of way.

But nobody gives a flying gently caress about that and what you are also doing is conceding the strongest emotional argument, which is that rapes occured. Which is what gives people very bad vibes and makes them not want to be seen as supporting the side doing the rape. Regardless of all your technical arguments about rape-as-strategy or policy or whatever. Regular people don't care. They're just hearing you say "Palestinians did rape" and they know rape is bad.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

more of them should go for the Admiral Graf Spee conclusion

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leandros posted:

I would imagine there's no need to because missiles that small are all solid propellant, no?

I’m joking, but iirc the sm-1 and 2 both have solid fuel rockets, yes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aren't virtually all rockets solid-fueled these days? I was under the impression liquid-fueled rockets were incredibly dangerous and most places had phased them out already.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

StashAugustine posted:

I think VIL is mostly right but man the complete shitshow of the NYT reporting has honestly pushed me closer to thinking it literally didn't happen, just given how loving incompetent they were

I mean, if you're gonna talk about systematic rape and then not show any evidence at all then how are we even pretending that systematic rape happened?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Aren't virtually all rockets solid-fueled these days? I was under the impression liquid-fueled rockets were incredibly dangerous and most places had phased them out already.

There's probably some ICBMs using liquids but other than that I imagine so.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

4d3d3d posted:

Too far even for the racist low-IQ thugs who make up the US military

:aochloe:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

i feel that after one of them self-immolated in an extremely public act of martyrdom members of the US armed forces should probably not be dismissed out of hand on this issue

esp. since bushnell was their tipping point:

https://twitter.com/taliaotg/status/1764639825020203022

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/mayadeenenglish/status/1764776248482345111?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

im wondering if the operational impact the resistance is having has made it impossible for the IDF to stage an incursion of Rafah. demobilizing the reservists was a mistake because it’s freed up more space for the resistance to operate in.

Israel is hopelessly hosed and the idea that Rafah is the last stronghold they need to overtake is the only thing keeping them going. after Rafah it’ll be Lebanon, and if Rafah doesn’t happen then it’ll still be Lebanon.

this is also probably one of the reasons they're still firing rockets from positions in North Gaza even though most of the settlements they're firing at are completely abandoned - it wastes Israeli manpower and resources at a time when they are trying to mass for a push into Rafah, and the longer that push is delayed the weaker the Israeli position is, even if the rockets don't actually hit anything valuable or do any damage

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Solid fuel is extremely stable and they should last for decades if they're kept in proper condition.

So it'll be like 5 to 25 years under good conditions, and much less than that if they're not looked after properly.

So look forward to more ships exploding out of nowhere 😈

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

100 on 3 million isn't exactly a tidal wave of dissatisfaction. The percentage of people worldwide subscribing to the second biggest ant farming youtube channel is larger than that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Leandros posted:

100 on 3 million isn't exactly a tidal wave of dissatisfaction. The percentage of people worldwide subscribing to the second biggest ant farming youtube channel is larger than that.

i assume this is the opening social media blitz of the petition, from a closed privately passed around thing to a public one and the number might rise now

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Leandros posted:

Might be misreading but that to me says 100 active duty troops were willing to have their name put on a letter that says they don't agree with official US policy, that letter itself being anonymous

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1764598520898597165
was this already posted

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unless more servicemen come forward and put their necks out this letter is little more than the grumbling of Little Eichmanns.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
bushnell showed them one moral path out, but none of the paths out include signing a strongly worded letter and then going on to pull the trigger (metaphorically) anyway

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
signing onto the letter is at least saying i'm willing to be dishonorably discharged and/or sent to the brig for some petty amount of time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

signing onto the letter is at least saying i'm willing to be dishonorably discharged and/or sent to the brig for some petty amount of time

how did it work when active duty troops objected to iraq in the public square? immediately court marshalled?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

they didn't sign the letter; like the WH & State & DNC staffers they "signed" the letter.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/EmissaryOfNight/status/1764788036921856095

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Al! posted:

how did it work when active duty troops objected to iraq in the public square? immediately court marshalled?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iraq_War_resisters#Objectors_claiming_the_war_is_illegal

pretty much, unless you went down the proper path to get legally recognized as a conscientious objector which got you a honorable discharge

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

the food the idf supplies its soldiers has to be kosher. and by cooking on the shabbat they ruin the kitchen's kosher status.

That makes some sense to me. Or more sense. It's still a ridiculous punishment. For one, the unit should be able to offer sufficient hot dogs for those who aren't religious. Also, I can't imagine snitching on someone for being hungry and making hot dogs. All kinds of crazy stuff is happening and you take a moral stance on petty BS.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

V. Illych L. posted:

while i agree that it's a very weird way of phrasing it, it would not shock me in the least if there were a handful instances of sexual violence committed by palestinians against israelis during the assault. they broke the fence and anyone could stream out. that includes a lot of very, very angry young men with no clear idea of what was going on but a blood haze and a lot of pent-up fury. that can manifest in many ugly ways, including such violence.

what this does not imply is that there was any kind of strategy of deploying sexual violence, which is the israeli (and NYT, and for a while Guardian) claim.

so there are three errors here:

1) a strategy of mass rapes would justify israeli conduct (no it wouldn't)
2) hamas did indeed have such a strategy and it is borne out by the evidence (no it isn't)
3) it is reasonable to believe that there were some cases of sexual violence; this constitutes sufficient evidence for 2) and therefore israeli conduct is justified, per 1) (what are you even on about!!!)

curiously these errors sort of get in the way of each other, and one is left discussing whether there were any cases of sexual violence. this is a trap; the principal error is in 1), but every part of this chain is flawed. the rhetorical strategy is to get people to argue about the factual premise of 3), i.e. whether it's reasonable to believe that there were some cases of sexual violence during the operation. this is giving battle on the ground most favourable to the enemy, and should be avoided.

Am I wrong or have every time youve come into this thread you've made the implication that there at least must have been some sexual violence done by the Palestinian Resistance? I'm like 90% sure you've been called out on this poo poo before.

E:Sorry, should have kept reading the thread.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

salartarium posted:

That makes some sense to me. Or more sense. It's still a ridiculous punishment. For one, the unit should be able to offer sufficient hot dogs for those who aren't religious. Also, I can't imagine snitching on someone for being hungry and making hot dogs. All kinds of crazy stuff is happening and you take a moral stance on petty BS.

I mean, do you want to either snitch them out and nab an immediate promotion (with a bump in pay) or wait until you get a promotion in field?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Willa Rogers posted:

they didn't sign the letter; like the WH & State & DNC staffers they "signed" the letter.

I'm confused, do you mean the 100 signatures on the open letter don't actually include names and just say like "LCpl, USMC" or something

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

that story about cnn letting israel censor its content included the tidbit that this was an editorial edict to its journos.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm confused, do you mean the 100 signatures on the open letter don't actually include names and just say like "LCpl, USMC" or something

I don't even know if they included ranks; I do understand the sentiment behind it, although why not say you've got 10,000 signees if they're all anon?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wedge Regret
Western Journalism is just so important guys.
It speaks truth to power ya know.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/lxyadi?update=2749443

quote:

‘Worst may be yet to come’ in Gaza, UNRWA chief warns

The head of the UN Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA) has just addressed the UN General Assembly about the situation on the ground in Gaza. Philippe Lazzarini painted a grim picture of the conditions in the besieged Palestinian enclave, as well as the pressures on his agency.

He said:

In Gaza, in a period of just five months, more children, more journalists, more medical personnel and more UN staff have been killed than anywhere in the world during a conflict.

The death toll in Gaza is “staggering”. More than 30,000 Palestinians have reportedly been killed in just 150 days. Some 5 percent of the population is dead, wounded or missing.

Hunger is everywhere. A man-made famine is looming and babies – just a few months old – are dying of malnutrition and dehydration.

Still, we may learn of even more horrors, Lazzarini said.

He noted that it is not known just how many people remain buried under the rubble across Gaza and expressed concern about the fate of the estimated 300,000 people isolated in the north of the territory, cut off from humanitarian supplies.

Lazzarini also criticised Israel’s threatened assault on Rafah, where an estimated 1.4 million displaced people are concentrated.

“Despite all the horrors that Gazans have lived through – and that we have watched – the worst might be yet to come,” he said.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/StolenDans/status/1764648751212142969

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Same. There's one chant in particular at local protests that I just can't join in on, "Gaza Gaza don't you cry, we will never let you die" and all I can think is, but we are

:same:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Same. There's one chant in particular at local protests that I just can't join in on, "Gaza Gaza don't you cry, we will never let you die" and all I can think is, but we are

Yeah. I’m still optimistic they can get out of this without us though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JHomer722 posted:

. this should be a Judith Miller WMD level scandal, but it never will be based on the above.

If it was, then what? The reporter gets a job with the CFR and other think tanks and goes to Fox News?