Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Broncos owe him $39 loving million guaranteed lmao

Since the Super Bowl in 2015, both the Panthers and Broncos have only 1 winning season a piece. Broncos have not made the playoffs. Panthers made the playoffs once, but lost to the Saints in the wildcard round.

Broncos are probably on the upswing tho, while Carolina is the worst situation in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Are they able to designate him as a post-June 1 cut and at least spread the cap hit over a couple years? I never understand how that "we are cutting this dude on March 4 but it's post June-1 somehow" handwavy poo poo works

It's super weird logically, and all an accounting trick. He's now not on the roster and can sign with another team to avoid that money becoming guaranteed, but simultaneously is on the roster cap hit wise. The Broncos can't use any freed up space until after June 1st. (not that this move frees up any space this year regardless, but if it did, that's how the June 1st rule works. You carry the full cap charge until June 1st at which point you discharge what can be into next year's cap. )

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think the league lets you designate two guys as "post June 1" cuts, so that guy gets to hit the market right away but you still get the benefits that you would have if you released him after June 1.

I was trying to figure out if cutting Russ actually makes sense for his meager-yet-not-awful production last year, and I always forget that the only reason the Broncos are in this situation is because they gave Russ a new giant contract after trading for him even though they didn't have to. What a beautiful sequence of events that was

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

JJ McCarthy, come on down!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Taysom Hill, come on down!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

rude

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks for the run down on June 1 machinations

So cursed, and yet... Payton has brought in so many of his former dudes it would make Belichick blush

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think I speak for all of Seattle when I say, "lol, lmao"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

the Broncos will draft JJ or no one at QB, and then sign some vet journeyman like Russell Wilson or something like that

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Gotta be one of the biggest blunders in NFL history.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/1764767687224529317?t=KXcqiB10Ue2jiOVahB43KA&s=19

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/who-the-seahawks-got-in-the-russell-wilson-trade-from-the-broncos/

Cross, Mafe and Witherspoon is a good return. :lol: Denver

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

you can laugh all you want but..uh..stop laughing. seriously. it's hurtful.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Russ's goodbye later says thank you to the fans, several teammates, some low-level staffers, and cafeteria workers, but does not mention Paton, Payton, or ownership. Honestly, I respect it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

If he throws for 26 tds and 11 ints in Pittsburgh next year they’ll win 13 games and I will hate every loving second of it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This trade adds further evidence of how good Russell *was* (extremely past tense) for Seattle.

Wilson’s last full healthy season in Seattle was 2020. The team record was 12-4.
  • injured in 2021
  • traded before 2022

Seattle gets ALLLL that trade compensation (and somehow transitions into a starting qb with Geno Smith) and…

…The Seahawks proceed to go 9-8 twice (2022 and 2023).

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 5, 2024

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Russ didn’t play 1 down on his 5 year extension.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DeimosRising posted:

If he throws for 26 tds and 11 ints in Pittsburgh next year they’ll win 13 games and I will hate every loving second of it

If he does that for Atlanta they’ll win what, 10+ games?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Russ is in the "Hall of Fame for Contracts"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Russ would never play for Atlanta as long as Future lives there lmao

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/ciara-and-russell-wilson-leave-drakes-party-abruptly-when-future-shows-up.4809286/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm getting off Russell Wilson's Wild Ride.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I’mma laugh my rear end off if his only option is Atlanta or whatever the USFL/XFL is this year because his rep is so snakebit.

Though teasing my Steeler friends has been pretty good too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Seahawks could use an experienced vet to backup for MVP Vote Recipient Geno Smith.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking Vegas.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He has Washington Commander written all over him and it's a drat shame they have the #2 pick.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Came here to quote this and type “lol”

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I want Russell Wilson to go to (rolls dice) the Cardinals and just inexplicably become great again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I was clinging to an outside hope he'd want to return home/play with Stroud :smith:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

Since the Super Bowl in 2015, both the Panthers and Broncos have only 1 winning season a piece. Broncos have not made the playoffs. Panthers made the playoffs once, but lost to the Saints in the wildcard round.

Broncos are probably on the upswing tho, while Carolina is the worst situation in the league.

I think about that SB often because of how awful both teams have been since.

Like, both teams have changed owners, made historically bad trades trying to fix their QB situations, and generally have been two of the worst teams in the league in the time since.

Broncos come out ahead because they got the W, but that SB cursed both teams somehow

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I do not think Denver is on any semblance of an upswing

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

OneMoreTime posted:

I want Russell Wilson to go to (rolls dice) the Cardinals and just inexplicably become great again

Would be very funny if the Cardinals just collected every short QB in the league.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Probably Magic posted:

Would be very funny if the Cardinals just collected every short QB in the league.

Kyler OB1, Russ QB2, Bryce QB3.

That's a dangeruss sandwich

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds spicy!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I wouldn't bet against Sean payton for too long tbh.

This needs to be a good offseason for them though.

Carolina is pretty much rock bottom with a one year wonder OC and a QB who the future is at best murky on, at worst he's an all time bust but at least after this year the cap is gonna be fine because there's no one worth paying anyway and we'll have another first overall and another head coach.

So I mean. Carolina is technically on the upswing because they've hit the molten core of sucking and cannot go any lower.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sorry to double post but not really cause I dont care.

Apparently our left tackle has been at a camp training early. Which bodes well considering he sucked out loud last year. I'll give props to a dude putting in work though.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I wouldn't bet against Sean payton for too long tbh.

This needs to be a good offseason for them though.

Carolina is pretty much rock bottom with a one year wonder OC and a QB who the future is at best murky on, at worst he's an all time bust but at least after this year the cap is gonna be fine because there's no one worth paying anyway and we'll have another first overall and another head coach.

So I mean. Carolina is technically on the upswing because they've hit the molten core of sucking and cannot go any lower.
Payton is a pretty good coach but that cap is wrecked for the next 2 years.

He's gotta hit the QB lottery or time will be up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

Certainly not within the next year or two with that roster.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

solarjetman posted:

I'm thinking Vegas.

You shut your filthy whore mouth

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Worth mentioning that the $85 million dollar cap hit Denver is taking by making this cut is more than double the previous highest dead money figure in league history

lmao Broncos

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers might have to use their first pick on a DB

https://x.com/jfowlerespn/status/1764713955891490999?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Right now it’s #1 cb CJ Henderson, after Horn suffers his week 3 non contact soft tissue injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Sure they could go lower, they could go 0-17.