Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

(watches a piledriver -> deadlift german -> forearm strike sequence) What the hell is this, Dancing with the Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Will or Takeshita just needed gawk at the hard cam for 10 seconds in disbelief after every kickout

Then it's "real pro wrestling" :jerkbag:

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Should have started with a test of strength and transitioned to a failed body slam attempt. They’re young, they may learn yet!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

I generally like the snowboiiii but boy is he a dweeb about Ospreay. Unless you just set out to hate everything Ospreay does idk how you could have had such a bad time watching that match

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
drat, good thing WWE would never do such a thing as call a match that hasn't happened yet "The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/ThatJustMo/status/1764645109893677373

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

apophenium posted:

I generally like the snowboiiii but boy is he a dweeb about Ospreay. Unless you just set out to hate everything Ospreay does idk how you could have had such a bad time watching that match

He's not really wrong but he's also generally just mad at the idea that people prefer spectacle and hype over nuance and :shrug: yeah they do. It was a lot of just loving big moves and big shots and holy poo poo. All the moves also ruled and I was very earnest in shouting holy poo poo at home. Sometimes you want the five star from a can

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God won’t somebody think of the infections!

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

He should've saved the glass spot for his Wrestlemania Moment™

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I also have some bad news about "the whole world knowing their name" for 99% of people who have been in WWE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Tony mad about the glass spot? I've seen that in a couple of replies now.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

these people are so aggressively bitchmade lmao, these mfers get woozy lookin at a papercut

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Dawgstar posted:

Was Tony mad about the glass spot? I've seen that in a couple of replies now.

He’s the one who paid for the glass.

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Thecoachrules/status/1764729390452400170?t=Bdsyxb5XwM98G_viVaKc5g&s=19

???

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

God won’t somebody think of the infections!

Just give him a Z-Pak.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

You were on commentary for a match where Ric Flair dumped Edge off the top of a ladder through a table on the outside and nearly caught his head on the barrier, you loving hack.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Endless Mike posted:

A wrestler landing on you is the best part of indie shows

When I went to an indie mudshow here in Finland and sat in a front row seat (no barriers here, suckers) I got kicked in the head by a wrestler who was struggling while being carried on her opponent's shoulder. It owned.

(I also got threatened with grievous bodily harm by a wrestler from Toronto after I told him that the Leafs loving suck and the Habs rule. After I posted some clips from the show on Twitter, he figured out it was me and kept heeling at me on Twitter, saying he was going to sue me for violating his intellectual property and image rights, and for disparaging the Maple Leafs organization. It was great!)

E:

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's not really wrong but he's also generally just mad at the idea that people prefer spectacle and hype over nuance and :shrug: yeah they do. It was a lot of just loving big moves and big shots and holy poo poo. All the moves also ruled and I was very earnest in shouting holy poo poo at home. Sometimes you want the five star from a can

No, he's wrong. Yeah, the match didn't have the backstory and build of Omega - Ospreay, but there WAS backstory. One guy was the ace of DDT, the other guy was the ace of NJPW, and due to wrestling politics they had never met before. Now they did, because Don Callis is a believer of steel sharpens steel, and both guys wanted to show that they had been the best ace in Japan and finally show off their skills. And in the end they walked off having found even more respect for one another. And the match wasn't just two guys spamming their specials for 20 minutes and kicking out, there was tons of psychology and a good, logical build. They just started at 60mph and went from there.

And loving no poo poo it's exciting and insane when two of the world's top guys in their sport finally meet and see who's the better guy. Are these same loving idiots on Twitter crying about the lack of backstory when two of the NBA's or NHL's best players finally meet?

E: and I also don't agree with the "people had decided in advance it was a 5 star match and IT WASN'T BUT THEY STILL PRETEND IT WAS" poo poo. Yes, it was a match people had been wanting to see for years, but so was Okada vs Danielson and when that ended up not living up to the expectations because Danielson broke his arm during the match, that was the reaction. "It wasn't what we hoped it would be, but they made the best of a bad situation".

The guy's just flat out wrong. It was a match people had wanted to see for years, both guys absolutely busted their rear end and produced one of the best matches we've seen, and it absolutely lived up to the expectations. The only reason they're twisting themselves into pretzels to explain why it ackshually wasn't good at all is because it happend in an AEW ring.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 5, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ospreay Derangement Syndrome is a very real thing. As someone who never really watched the Ospreay/Ricochet series and was only exposed to Ospreay full time around the Forbidden Door shows and All In due to a lot of his rise being around my hiatus, pretty much all of the complaints from my friends who just hate the guy make very little sense to me. They all seem to be complaining about a version of Will Ospreay that existed years ago. It's strange. They're well within their rights to like and dislike who they want but I just don't see it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ospreay Derangement Syndrome is a very real thing. As someone who never really watched the Ospreay/Ricochet series and was only exposed to Ospreay full time around the Forbidden Door shows and All In due to a lot of his rise being around my hiatus, pretty much all of the complaints from my friends who just hate the guy make very little sense to me. They all seem to be complaining about a version of Will Ospreay that existed years ago. It's strange. They're well within their rights to like and dislike who they want but I just don't see it.

I'm also a recent Ospreayhead. Much like seemingly most people here I also didn't watch wrestling for ages until Tony Khan brought me back. Until a year or two ago all I'd seen of him was one match against the Amazing Red, which I remember thinking was really good but I had absolutely no connection to either guy so that was it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yKk4ixzxp0

Then when he popped up in AEW and I started watching his NJPW stuff, it turned out he was an incredible wrestler. I'm not sure what these complaints even are (beyond the "Brexit Billy" stuff) and in a way I'm glad, because it allows me to enjoy one of the best wrestlers in the world.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ospreay is Chris Jericho levels of "genius in the ring, idiot everywhere else". It's odd to think that his match with Takeshita lacked nuance as they were bringing very different things in how they approached the match and did their part and each was clearly coming from a particular wrestling tradition.

I think sometimes it's possible to confuse Takeshita having a very clean style (focus on power and perfect execution of moves rather than elaborate sequences) with Takeshita being a simple wrestler or one who just does moves. One of the reasons I liked the Ospreay / Takeshita match so much was because it was two ostensibly very similar guys having a physical conversation about wrestling style.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.reddit.com/r/JimCornette/s/4E2IcQazaN

Are you a bad enough dude to march to war for Jim Cornette?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lamuella posted:

One of the reasons I liked the Ospreay / Takeshita match so much was because it was two ostensibly very similar guys having a physical conversation about wrestling style.

:yeah:

This was really well put, 100% agreed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

One of the reasons I liked Ospreay/Takeshita is that it was loving sick

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lamuella posted:

You were on commentary for a match where Ric Flair dumped Edge off the top of a ladder through a table on the outside and nearly caught his head on the barrier, you loving hack.

Dude doesn't remember the bloodbath between RIC flair and he big show for the ecw title

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Someone who was allegedly there posted:

I had floor seats. When Sting went through the glass, it shattered into the crowd, and a piece did hit someone and caused them to bleed from their neck. By some grace of god for AEW, it was NOT a fan. Take from that what you will. I saw this persons hand with blood in it, they turned to show their neck, and it was bleeding a small but sizable amount. It took me out big because I then expected to see some gruesome scene of 10-20 people in that area with similar cuts, but no one else had the issue of the non-fan. Insanely lucky who it hit, and I haven’t seen it anywhere online so I don’t want to divulge it myself. Staff swept it up immediately.

"No-one else has posted about it anywhere and I'm not going to but I will post it on this mostly anti-AEW subreddit where the majority of people here won't fact check it or anything like that."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Somebody who definitely has a kid posted:

If my kid was there, or just watching at home, this would be the last minute of AEW they ever watched. Not only could they get hurt if they were in the crowd, but I wouldn't want them trying to imitate this horseshit. Plus, if the parent isn't really a fan and this was the first thing they saw, you can bet they'd never let them anywhere near ANY wrestling again so it could also lose fans. Nothing about this was good. But it's ok. All the dipshits who are defending it get to chant "Holy poo poo!" and "This Is Awesome!" so it's fine right? What a load of garbage

Laughing at the mental image of someone's kid setting up a ladder, a sheet of glass, and some steel chairs in the backyard all completely unsupervised while their dad listens to Jim Cornette podcasts and turns progressively redder in the face.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i am afraid going through real glass was stupid and they're right

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

setting up an “elimination chamber” in my backyard

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wrestling fans have a rich tradition of confusing “that’s not for me/I didn’t like that” for “that was objectively bad/a wet fart/the drizzling shits.” WODS is just one of many manifestations of this.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol at "i assure you they were not a fan of AEW"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Wrestling fans have a rich tradition of confusing “that’s not for me/I didn’t like that” for “that was objectively bad/a wet fart/the drizzling shits.” WODS is just one of many manifestations of this.

Also you gotta remember that these dudes are a, dumb as gently caress, and b, have no taste

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

latin american and japanese wrestlers arent canon

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Also you gotta remember that these dudes are a, dumb as gently caress, and b, have no taste

Last comment is not just bad, it's disgusting

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Shard posted:

Dude doesn't remember the bloodbath between RIC flair and he big show for the ecw title

I remember that sick cobra clutch backbreaker Taul Paul used.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kinda owns the lack of any serious competition and WWE owning the market has poisoned brains into believing that WWE is the way wrestling should be done

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lid posted:

it's cool how many posts in that thread begin with "so despite complaining about aew constantly, i decided to order the ppv..."

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Despite being a huge hater, I ordered floor seats and spent hundreds of dollars in travel and expenses to go somewhere I knew I would be miserable at for five hours

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rotinaj posted:

Marks Gone Wild is my favorite Skid Row song.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
They're all actually fans but because they're in a cult full of knee jerk contrarians they have to always signal that they hated everything by lying. They can't admit that Corny is actually wrong because then they have nobody online to tell them how smart and cool they are for hating on a wrestling promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they're exposing the business